Gaithersburg, MD
Seneca Creek State Park Share
Uploaded By: John Merhi Hole #21
Hole #21 Short Tee: Basket is in A position (center), B position far right, C position way back and left.

< Prev 1 2 3
Best DC Area Course

5+    9/5/2015   9/5/2015
Review By: BAH618
Pros: The course was well maintained, with signs listing the pin, pin location and distances at every hole. The course mixes both wooded and open holes, also includes some holes that are bordered by a stream. The combination of woods and distance provides a reasonable challenge (however also provides some easier holes).
Cons: The bugs at this course can be very bad. At times you will be swarmed with gnats, I have also found ticks after playing. The course is also lacking holes with any significant "wow" factors. No great downhill shots, or shots over a lake, etc.
Other Thoughts: This is a great course in this area, the cons I have listed are minor nit piks but placed to explain why I rated this course as a 4 instead of 4.5 or 5.

One of the best in Maryland

1    5/28/2015   6/3/2015
Review By: Longjonsilverz
Pros: This course has a great layout of 27 holes which has three 9 hole loops that all meet in a central location so you are never too far from where you parked. There are multiple tees and basket locations per hole and plenty of benches around the course. There are signs on each hole and the entire course is set up nicely for tournaments. There is a good mix of woods and open holes and the forest is never too thick with undergrowth so losing a disc is less likely to happen. The course is also located in a nice park.
Cons: The park has an entrance fee. Some of the signs can be a little confusing and finding the baskets in the different locations usually requires a quick walk down the fairway. Some of the tee pads were pretty bad with lots of holes and potential spots to trip over when throwing. This is not a course for really opening up some long drives, there always seems to be an inconvenient tree that is randomly placed in a spot that forces you to lay up on many holes.
Other Thoughts: This is one of the best courses in Maryland. Its definitely worth going out of your way to play here. Be ready for some crowds sometimes because this is a popular place. They should increase the frequency of tournaments here.

Great disc golf course

1    12/6/2014   1/4/2015
Review By: dj3k
This review was updated on 2/19/2015
Pros: 27 holes

Good signage. Not confusing as a first timer trying to navigate.

Great variety of holes. Plenty of lengthy holes.

This course seems to have some good support from a local club. I went on a Saturday late morning in late fall and it was busy. There appeared to be a possibly some random draw dubs going on. There was also a work crew out there. All the signs of healthy club to support this well maintained course.

Great variety of tees and basket positions.
Other Thoughts: Would definitely go back if I am ever in the beltway again, which I am sure I will be.

If its winter time...

1    12/3/2014   12/15/2014
Review By: Bd 37
Pros: Very fun course. Tons of different shots, S shots, long bomb hazers, short putter driving holes, low flick skip shots etc. You will need a wide range of skills to succeed here.
Good variety of length and accuracy, and with the variety of tee pads to shoot from, there should be a configuration for most skill levels.
Cons: A few holes just hard for hard sake. I think even a tour pro might be banging their head against a wall after playing a few of these holes. Tee pads could use a bit of work.
Other Thoughts: If the park was free to enter, this would be a 4.5+ in my book. However, with the rather steep price of admission, my standards go up. I expect more trash cans throughout, better tee pads, and some of the trails were hard to follow for someone playing the course blind. All in all, definitely one to play if your in the area

1    8/9/2014   8/9/2014
Review By: unsmith
Pros: There isn't much that can be said about this course that hasn't already been said - it's well known as an excellent course. My personal take-aways:

Plenty of variety in shots, this isn't a RHBH course where you might have to throw one or two anhyzers per round, there are plenty of those shots here, a few thumbers, and of course the legendary rollers when the grass isn't too high.

Very little chance of actually losing a disc, unless you really huck one into the brush or into the creek or something like that.

Excellent signage, some of the best I've seen.

Each set of 9 holes ends up back at the parking lot, making it easy to play them in sets.
Cons: Some of the tee pads are uneven and could use some improvements.

Middle 9 can be a bit arduous with lots of walking/hiking between holes. This is even more noticeable if pins are in the A position.

Cedars... ugh. Stay away. At least there are poles here and there to try and poke your disc out from their hungry clutches.
Other Thoughts: It's listed as moderately woody, but honestly it's on the low end of that. There are distinct, well-defined lines for most shots.

Bugs are there but not really too bad.

Two separate practice baskets, which is a nice plus.

Scenic Seneca

1    6/8/2014   6/15/2014
Review By: New013
Pros: Layout - Seneca is three 9 hole loops that is comprised mostly of smaller rolling hills dotted with trees; there's also some more wooded technical holes thrown in.

There are multiple pins and tees so the possible layouts you can play is a huge plus. I only played once but from the looks of it these changed the course quite a bit. The different pads usually had different angles or earlier tighter gaps for the longer ones.

Overall the course just has a really nice mix in lines and elevation changes that will give you a solid challenge if you play from the longs. It's a course that really pushes you to be creative in your shot shaping because there are so many options off the tee.

It says all the holes are par 3's but for most people you're going to play a lot of holes that take multiple shots to get to the greens. Although again on many holes the option of being creative with rollers or huge shots above the canopy is possible.

Really nice pin placements from what I remember. Some were tucked in corners, guarded heavily by trees or on slopes that made them difficult to access and second guess running that long putt.

Equipment - Baskets were in good condition. The pads were a mix of different things depending on which one you were on, all were large/solid and I didn't have a problem with any of them.

Really nice tee signs that had a map of the hole and different pads/pins. It also had beads showing which pin position the hole was in, huge plus.

Atmosphere - The course seems to be in an area of the park all to itself which is great, never saw anyone not playing disc golf out there. The park is really beautiful, nice venue for a course.
Cons: Layout - My biggest complaint about the course is that it just seems repetitive, especially after 27 holes. No holes really stand out all that much and even the transitions in and out of the woods don't do enough to give you a fresh feeling as you play.

The holes did seem to play left to right more so than any other way so it does favor certain players from what I could tell.

Also many holes that were more open didn't do much to punish bad shots or reward good but not great ones. Seems like you either nail it just right or you're playing a simpler second shot looking for par.

Atmosphere - Bugs my god the bugs. They were even worst than I imagined. They go up your nose and in your mouth and eyes; bug spray didn't seem to affect them.
Other Thoughts: Half way through this round I may have rated it higher but by the time I got done with 27 I was ready to leave.

It's a really solid course and some holes are a ton of fun but like I said it just feels repetitive at a point. If I lived close I'd probably get in the routine of playing one or two nine hole loops.

I had two of my all time greatest drives out here and when I think about this course that's mostly what I remember.

I was under the basket on #13 (375' version). Threw my aires on a super high turnover line and it just held around the corner, beautiful line.

The other was the finishing hole 27, we played long to long (507'). I threw my cannon on a high turnover line up over the tree on the left and it just panned all the way to about 20' from the basket.

A hidden gem

1    4/12/2014   4/30/2014
Review By: The Spleen
Pros: -Holes with varying degree of difficulty. You can go from having a wide-open fairway to throwing into a nest of cedar trees.

-Tee boxes were in pretty good shape.

-Blind shots, narrow fairways, sudden drop-offs. I love having a course with character like that.

-Saw a snake. That was pretty cool.
Cons: Everything is perfect and it always will be.
Other Thoughts: It was the morning of my best friend's wedding, so we decided to get him some fresh air (and distract him a little) by playing a few rounds.

Can't beat it

1    9/23/2012   9/23/2012
Review By: goober
Pros: - variety. incl different pin positions and mats for P & A 's
- beautiful surroundings
- excellent t areas
- very nice holes descriptions
Cons: - not well marked in spots
- holes are "comingled"; this means I would think that holes 1-9 etc would be grouped together but they are sort of intertwined - bad for a first timer like me
- need to be careful on the front 9 for potentially losing discs
- DC traffic - need I say more ?
Other Thoughts: - very, very nice, challenging course - if you are in the area, a must
- GPS coordinates put me in a resindential area so I need to check what I entered into the nav system

The pride of the Old Line State!

1    9/8/2012   9/8/2012
Review By: jblough
Pros: This course is a butt-kicker, but that's a good thing. You're gonna need a lot of shots in your bag to do well here. You're going to need to navigate a lot lines. And most of all, you're going to need a pretty big and (more importantly) accurate arm.

- Course is comprised of a set of three loops which all wrap back to the parking lot area. This is great if you only want to play a quick round of nine. It'd also be great for tournaments, as it spaces out the participants a little.

- From what I can tell, the disc golf area is almost exclusively for disc golfers, so you shouldn't have to worry about too many other park activities.

- Seneca Creek has many pin and tee placements. Signage is great, as it not only has a map of the hole, but also denotes which pin is currently in place. Most tees are well-kept (at least the white ones I played on).

- Some people may complain about the placement of certain cedar trees on holes, but I felt like each hole was designed such that skill--not luck--was rewarded to the thrower. Many holes actually had several lines to hit with accuracy.

- Holes #13 and #14 are the best in the park, IMO, due to the fact that the creek comes into play and adds some pressure in addition to the precarious placement of trees.
Cons: - What makes this course a 4 and not a 4.5 or 5 is the fact that despite some rolling hills, there's not a lot of major elevation changes. Man, this course would be killer if you could bomb some down a steep hill! A few shots that require overhand shots (tomahawks/thumbers) would also be great here.

- No super signature or unique holes that many courses of this caliber have. In fact, the three loops blended together a lot of times. The only holes that really stand out were the ones in which the creek came into play. The moderate elevation change of #22 was also memorable, but no holes that will be in my top 25 list.

- Despite having 27 holes, this place can be crowded. I saw about 10-12 other groups playing here the day I showed up.

- Definitely a course that favors RHFH throwers or lefties. I didn't keep track of each hole, but I'd say the imbalance is around 65-35. This course definitely makes me want to develop my RHFH game.

- Costs $3 for MD residents and $5 for out-of-staters like myself.
Other Thoughts: You'll hit some trees here. Actually, you'll probably hit a lot of trees. I love courses with long, technical lines to navigate, but this course even tested my resolve. Nevertheless, I thoroughly enjoyed myself here, but definitely won't be playing any tournaments anytime soon!

I haven't played a whole lot of courses in Maryland, but this one blows the rest out of the water. I'd be ten times better if this was my home course. Many of the pins were in the longest position, which has its pros and cons. I'd like to play this in the late autumn or winter and see how different it is without the foliage.

Not to be Missed

2-4    5/26/2012   5/26/2012
Review By: Clive
Pros: - Very Clean
- Situated in a huge multi-purpose state park
- No entry fee on weekdays
- Will test even the best players
- 3 sets of 9 holes, each leading back to the parking lot, which makes it easy to play any combination of 9s.
- Intuitive layout bolstered by strong signage and accurate maps.
- 2 to 3 teepads per hole and 2 to 4 pin locations make for outstanding replayability.
- Friendly locals.
Cons: - A few holes seem excessively wooded and could probably benefit from some axe-work.
- No drinking fountains or bathrooms nearby.
Other Thoughts: - Buggy! Bring that bug spray or you'll be hounded by marauding insects for much of the course.
- A full bag of shots is required to be successful here; good risk/reward opportunities abound.
- Bring plenty of water. This is as much of a hike as it is a round of disc and truly not for the feint of heart. After getting off I-270, there is a grocery store on the right side of the road near a business complex that makes for a good place to grab provisions.

< Prev 1 2 3