Gaithersburg, MD
Seneca Creek State Park Share
Uploaded By: crandellfamily Hole #17 (Taken 6/2010)

< Prev 1 2 3
8 New Teepads!

5+    4/1/2015   4/2/2015
Review By: badbrad
Pros: Last weekend, our local club (Cedar Farm Disc Golf Club) installed eight new concrete teepads. They are ready to play on holes 2 Blue, 3 Blue, 6 Red, 7 Red and 7 White, 11 Red, 13 Red, and 27 Red. Average size is 4 1/2' wide x 15' long. They are large and level! We will also have new pads on 23 Blue and 18 Blue within a few weeks. Come on out and enjoy!

Great Course

5+    3/23/2015   3/31/2015
Review By: hawk12
Pros: Three separate nine hole loops, multiple pins and two tees on every holes give so many options for the casual player and tournament layouts to be different.
Outstanding design and use of the land (which is pretty great in its own right). Many different shots must be played through the field holes and the wooded holes alike. Having a good, well balanced game of power and finesse comes into play here - too much of one and not enough of the other will not yield a tournament winner.
Back to the land, nice elevation changes, streams, nicely mowed grass fields, beautiful wooded areas with views of the creek and far hillsides on several holes.
The park itself has nice amenities, heated bathrooms, running water, ample parking, well maintained. This is a pack it in, pack it out park - so don;t expect trash cans. But be respectful and clean up after yourself.
Cons: The tee pads always seem to be a work in progress. They are being worked on and I like what I'm seeing.
Used to be very narrow tee pads, and the older, shorter concrete ones are being expanded on.
Last time there I saw 4x6s around a few tees and others were already expanded and had a gravel base down, so this one draw back is being worked on.
And I do know just how much work it is to install 54 tee pads in some not too easy to get to places... But its my only con at Seneca
Other Thoughts: I've been traveling to and playing Seneca for 10+ years and really love it here. Seasonal allergies do just about kill me as I'm allergic to the invasive Olive trees & have had a really tough time at the Soiree more than once...
The course is well worth the 3 hour drive for me, and I would recommend it to any golfer.
The design is what I really like, it has worked through the old roller course (still was a great course) and evolved into one of the more well rounded courses in my opinion. As stated, it takes all your shots to do well here.
The variety of shot selection, risk/reward shots, as well as the mental & physical challenge of playing 27 holes in the longer pins - Seneca is truly one of my favorite courses.
If/when the tees get finished and are all large, level and consistent, this is easily a 4.75-5 course for me. I'd put it at 4.5 even with the variety of tees in use today.

So Right, in So Many Ways

1    8/17/2014   9/6/2014
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Seneca Creek State Park hosts 27 holes of disc golf bliss. There is an terrific blend of grass, woods, water, elevation change, fun and frustration that is all contained in a wonderfully beautiful and clean park. There isn't really extreme terrain, but all of the elements that make up a good course can be found here. My favorite holes were 5, 13 and 14, some of the longest, and more wooded holes, with a creek running the length on the left of the fairways. The course was obviously very well loved, and someone was dutifully trimming branches here and there while I played. Long and short concrete tees for most, if not all holes, and usually multiple pin positions.
Cons: I couldn't really complain, but trash cans would be nice. They are going for pack in, pack out trash, and it seems to be working. All par 3, but on some holes, certainly with the long pin positions, thats no gimmie. Pets must be leashed to my doggies dismay.
Other Thoughts: Would be playing this one frequently if I lived in the area. The 4.25 average rating is dead on, but I went ahead and gave a 4.5 by virtue of having 27 holes with great equipment and impeccably clean and beautiful surroundings. I really liked the personality of this course, and it was in magnificent condition. I played the day after a tourney was hosted there. There may not be a trademark awesome hole here, but there is consistent high quality through all 27 holes. I shot a 10 over par 91 on my first and only round so far. Hope to get another crack at it someday. Very fun course in a very nice park. Other activities in addition to disc golf.

One of Maryland's Best

1    7/16/2014   7/17/2014
Review By: DGsudds
Pros: Variety of difficult shots. Fairly easy to navigate. Bugs are not too much of an issue. I consider myself very amateur and I did not lose any discs.
Cons: Most of the hole were very difficult. Only about 5 holes were open enough to make a very simple shot. Although they weren't terrible, some of the tee boxes could be redone. As mentioned the course is easy to navigate, but some new arrows and signs could be fixed or added.
Other Thoughts: If you plan on playing all 27, it'll take you at least 2.5 hours, so start before 6 during the summer! I haven't been to TOO many disc golf courses, so my rating may be subject to change at a later date. Make sure to bring water because their is no running water or bathroom facility besides a portapotty.

White Tail Crowds

1    9/12/2013   9/15/2013
Review By: RunningManMO_1981
Pros: We played in a Thunderstorm, no other players, just 50 to 60 White Tails, trying to be moving obstacles.
Cons: Maybe a bit better use of all the great elevation change would improve this to a higher rated course. It is great, could be even better.
Other Thoughts: Lost a Morley Field Hat and a pair of Sunglasses, please contact if found. Hat was Black. Glasses have a strap. Can you ask if park staff found it for me, please?

Killer Park

2-4    10/19/2012   10/19/2012
Review By: skyzer213
Pros: There are a lot of pros to this course. Lots of elevation change. Very wooded fairways and not so wooded fairways. 2-3 tees on every hole. In the fall season the trees are absolutely beautiful.
Cons: The majority of tees are not level. They vary from being slightly uphill/downhill to being too much on way or the other. Also most of the tees are made up of slippery cobblestones or flag stones which make it very difficult to get a good throw off in wet or moist conditions.
Other Thoughts: I was very impressed overall with this course. Its laid out in a 30 acre area which makes for a lot of variety. The first nine begins with a tight fairway that I have yet to hit, and continues on through the forest getting a little bit more forgiving as you go. The second nine is brutal to say the least. Very long and very wet in a few places. The final nine is very manicured looking; rolling grassy hills with a variety of trees.
Im from Nor Cal and we have some pretty awesome courses in our area but I wish we had this course in our area as well. Cant wait to return to Gaithersburg in the future and play here again!

AMAZING!

1    5/13/2012   5/13/2012
Review By: discgolf123
Pros: great obstacles. hazards, and other objects to throw around. The course is quite challenging but it is great fun to throw in and out of the trees. The best course i have played yet. great variation of obstacles and trees to avoid
Cons: in spring when i went there were to many gnats just all over the place flying into you. no water anywhere to drink and no vending machines.
Other Thoughts: overall this is the best course i have played

Play It Over and Over Again

5+    3/17/2011   3/19/2011
Review By: Crooow
This review was updated on 3/20/2011
Pros: 27 Holes. Multiple pin placements. Multiple tees (3-4 depending on the hole - includes special novice tees which can be used for a fun ace run). Great variety - open holes, wooded holes, aces possible but not easy. Pin locations rotated frequently so each trip is slightly different. Park is beautiful; course is isolated in its own area. Good local following. Course well-maintained - despite no trash cans, I never see any trash on the course. Three 9-hole loops so you can mix and match as time permits. New tee signs are very nice. Two practice baskets. There are discs available at the Ranger station and at the boat house in the summer. Course plays very differently in the different seasons - come back frequently.
Cons: Not all the new tee signs were there and they are inconsistently placed - some at red tees and some at white. Can get very crowded especially on weekends. I was told by one of the tournament directors that spectators were not welcome which seems bizarre to me. Hole 16 from the red tee seems to have no decent line - I guess you can thumb it or roll it or go very wide right (if you are RHFH) but there seems to be a bit too much chance involved.
Other Thoughts: This is my home course which I have been playing since it opened (so I may be a bit biased). I'm one of those who loved the old 18-hole layout and it took a while for me to warm to the new 27-hole course. They are currently installing the blue tees to complement the red and white tees.

Some notes:
- you will notice red bands around trees with small white arrows on them. These are not mandos - these are pointing to the location of the novice tees. It confused me at first.
- the stretch of road on Clopper (Rte 117) between the 270 exit and the park entrance is a favorite spot for a Montgomery County speed trap - drive appropriately.
- old holes 3, 9 and 14 are sorely missed. Each of them could have been the signature hole - none of the current holes (except perhaps #10) have the majesty of these old ones.

Excellent and scenic course!

5+    12/14/2009   3/14/2010
Review By: sidewinder22
This review was updated on 5/2/2014
Pros: 27 absolutely solid holes with multiple concrete paver tees and pins can make this course anywhere from fairly easy in all shorts to a beat-down long to long. 3 loops of 9 hole back to the parking lot. Rolling hills provide lots of elevation changes. Nice tee signs with pin indication. This is a pretty technical course that rewards accuracy over distance. Bad shots are punished, but if you have good trick shots you can get out of trouble. Well maintained course with defined fairways and groomed grounds for rollers. Great course for tournaments, often forget there are other people on the course and feels like its just your card playing. Disc-golf only area of park. Map in parking lot. Porta-potties. Scenic views and lots of wildlife.
Cons: Navigation can be a little tricky in a few places for first timers, but overall flows well. Tees can get slippery when wet, and some tees are bit too grippy. Holes by the river can hold water and be muddy. Not many holes to let loose a driver and can be repetitive. No trash cans.
Other Thoughts: One of my favorite courses in the long to long layout. $3 to enter park on weekends. The whole park is beautiful and the disc-golf only area makes this course feel really secluded. One of the few courses that the 2 meter rule is always in effect with disc-eating cedar trees on a number of holes. Get ready to roll around the cedars instead of trying to throw air shots. This course is highly recommended to play if you are anywhere near the DC area!

Great course!

5+    11/8/2009   11/11/2009
Review By: Redsauce
Pros: Great course with some very interesting holes. It's got some really tricky holes back in the woods, with some very technically challenging/tricky parts. Frequently I don't even bother with distance and just try to keep it in the fairway. It can get ugly if you're off the fairway. There's quite a bit of replay value, as you can alternate tees for some different looks.
It's a beautiful course that's nestled back in the woods. The underbrush walks the fine line between well-groomed (so no poison ivy), but still very natural. I've seen tons of deer, snakes, toads--you name it. It can be quite a bit of a walk, so be prepared for that. This is hands-down one of my favorite courses to play.
Cons: Some of the signage is non-existent. Hole 12 is actually Hole 7 (I think). Definitely print out a map of the course before you go, it is the only way to find some of the holes.
Other Thoughts: Be careful on weekends, it can get quite crowded, especially if you are playing with a smaller, faster moving group. Big groups show up and can slow things down, though everyone is very nice about it. It's just that when you're the 3rd of 4th group in line waiting, it is hard to play through if you're a smaller group.

< Prev 1 2 3