Gaithersburg, MD
Seneca Creek State Park Share
Uploaded By: crandellfamily Hole #14 (Taken 6/2010)
Hole #14 Mid-Fairway: Basket in woods to the right

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6
So Right, in So Many Ways

1    8/17/2014   9/6/2014
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Seneca Creek State Park hosts 27 holes of disc golf bliss. There is an terrific blend of grass, woods, water, elevation change, fun and frustration that is all contained in a wonderfully beautiful and clean park. There isn't really extreme terrain, but all of the elements that make up a good course can be found here. My favorite holes were 5, 13 and 14, some of the longest, and more wooded holes, with a creek running the length on the left of the fairways. The course was obviously very well loved, and someone was dutifully trimming branches here and there while I played. Long and short concrete tees for most, if not all holes, and usually multiple pin positions.
Cons: I couldn't really complain, but trash cans would be nice. They are going for pack in, pack out trash, and it seems to be working. All par 3, but on some holes, certainly with the long pin positions, thats no gimmie. Pets must be leashed to my doggies dismay.
Other Thoughts: Would be playing this one frequently if I lived in the area. The 4.25 average rating is dead on, but I went ahead and gave a 4.5 by virtue of having 27 holes with great equipment and impeccably clean and beautiful surroundings. I really liked the personality of this course, and it was in magnificent condition. I played the day after a tourney was hosted there. There may not be a trademark awesome hole here, but there is consistent high quality through all 27 holes. I shot a 10 over par 91 on my first and only round so far. Hope to get another crack at it someday. Very fun course in a very nice park. Other activities in addition to disc golf.

1    8/9/2014   8/9/2014
Review By: unsmith
Pros: There isn't much that can be said about this course that hasn't already been said - it's well known as an excellent course. My personal take-aways:

Plenty of variety in shots, this isn't a RHBH course where you might have to throw one or two anhyzers per round, there are plenty of those shots here, a few thumbers, and of course the legendary rollers when the grass isn't too high.

Very little chance of actually losing a disc, unless you really huck one into the brush or into the creek or something like that.

Excellent signage, some of the best I've seen.

Each set of 9 holes ends up back at the parking lot, making it easy to play them in sets.
Cons: Some of the tee pads are uneven and could use some improvements.

Middle 9 can be a bit arduous with lots of walking/hiking between holes. This is even more noticeable if pins are in the A position.

Cedars... ugh. Stay away. At least there are poles here and there to try and poke your disc out from their hungry clutches.
Other Thoughts: It's listed as moderately woody, but honestly it's on the low end of that. There are distinct, well-defined lines for most shots.

Bugs are there but not really too bad.

Two separate practice baskets, which is a nice plus.

One of Maryland's Best

1    7/16/2014   7/17/2014
Review By: DGsudds
Pros: Variety of difficult shots. Fairly easy to navigate. Bugs are not too much of an issue. I consider myself very amateur and I did not lose any discs.
Cons: Most of the hole were very difficult. Only about 5 holes were open enough to make a very simple shot. Although they weren't terrible, some of the tee boxes could be redone. As mentioned the course is easy to navigate, but some new arrows and signs could be fixed or added.
Other Thoughts: If you plan on playing all 27, it'll take you at least 2.5 hours, so start before 6 during the summer! I haven't been to TOO many disc golf courses, so my rating may be subject to change at a later date. Make sure to bring water because their is no running water or bathroom facility besides a portapotty.

Scenic Seneca

1    6/8/2014   6/15/2014
Review By: New013
Pros: Layout - Seneca is three 9 hole loops that is comprised mostly of smaller rolling hills dotted with trees; there's also some more wooded technical holes thrown in.

There are multiple pins and tees so the possible layouts you can play is a huge plus. I only played once but from the looks of it these changed the course quite a bit. The different pads usually had different angles or earlier tighter gaps for the longer ones.

Overall the course just has a really nice mix in lines and elevation changes that will give you a solid challenge if you play from the longs. It's a course that really pushes you to be creative in your shot shaping because there are so many options off the tee.

It says all the holes are par 3's but for most people you're going to play a lot of holes that take multiple shots to get to the greens. Although again on many holes the option of being creative with rollers or huge shots above the canopy is possible.

Really nice pin placements from what I remember. Some were tucked in corners, guarded heavily by trees or on slopes that made them difficult to access and second guess running that long putt.

Equipment - Baskets were in good condition. The pads were a mix of different things depending on which one you were on, all were large/solid and I didn't have a problem with any of them.

Really nice tee signs that had a map of the hole and different pads/pins. It also had beads showing which pin position the hole was in, huge plus.

Atmosphere - The course seems to be in an area of the park all to itself which is great, never saw anyone not playing disc golf out there. The park is really beautiful, nice venue for a course.
Cons: Layout - My biggest complaint about the course is that it just seems repetitive, especially after 27 holes. No holes really stand out all that much and even the transitions in and out of the woods don't do enough to give you a fresh feeling as you play.

The holes did seem to play left to right more so than any other way so it does favor certain players from what I could tell.

Also many holes that were more open didn't do much to punish bad shots or reward good but not great ones. Seems like you either nail it just right or you're playing a simpler second shot looking for par.

Atmosphere - Bugs my god the bugs. They were even worst than I imagined. They go up your nose and in your mouth and eyes; bug spray didn't seem to affect them.
Other Thoughts: Half way through this round I may have rated it higher but by the time I got done with 27 I was ready to leave.

It's a really solid course and some holes are a ton of fun but like I said it just feels repetitive at a point. If I lived close I'd probably get in the routine of playing one or two nine hole loops.

I had two of my all time greatest drives out here and when I think about this course that's mostly what I remember.

I was under the basket on #13 (375' version). Threw my aires on a super high turnover line and it just held around the corner, beautiful line.

The other was the finishing hole 27, we played long to long (507'). I threw my cannon on a high turnover line up over the tree on the left and it just panned all the way to about 20' from the basket.

A hidden gem

1    4/12/2014   4/30/2014
Review By: The Spleen
Pros: -Holes with varying degree of difficulty. You can go from having a wide-open fairway to throwing into a nest of cedar trees.

-Tee boxes were in pretty good shape.

-Blind shots, narrow fairways, sudden drop-offs. I love having a course with character like that.

-Saw a snake. That was pretty cool.
Cons: Everything is perfect and it always will be.
Other Thoughts: It was the morning of my best friend's wedding, so we decided to get him some fresh air (and distract him a little) by playing a few rounds.

Awesome wooded course

1    9/28/2013   10/15/2013
Review By: Efan08
Pros: Very good wooded course. Has a nice variety of shots. I threw most of the discs in my bag which is uncommon among most wooded courses.

Good looking tee signs with a successful way of representing which location the basket is in.

Nice concrete/paver tee pads at every hole

Fairways were mowed

Great course
Cons: Only con is that there is no bathroom or water nearby.
Other Thoughts: One of the best wooded courses I've played. When I played I went with some beginners and even they loved the challenge of the course. Hopefully when I go back the baskets will be moved to the longs so I can see what this course is really made of.

White Tail Crowds

1    9/12/2013   9/15/2013
Review By: RunningManMO_1981
Pros: We played in a Thunderstorm, no other players, just 50 to 60 White Tails, trying to be moving obstacles.
Cons: Maybe a bit better use of all the great elevation change would improve this to a higher rated course. It is great, could be even better.
Other Thoughts: Lost a Morley Field Hat and a pair of Sunglasses, please contact if found. Hat was Black. Glasses have a strap. Can you ask if park staff found it for me, please?

5+    4/6/2013   4/6/2013
Review By: KimBrennan
Pros: 27 holes of top notch disc golf holes. This course is in a State Park, that recognizes how popular the sport is. Course is laid out in 3 9 hole stretches that come back to the parking lot. 3 tees per hole. Multiple pin positions that get moved around. Tee signs are pretty good at indicating which pin position is in play.
Cons: Only a Jiffy John in the parking area. No water or other facilities at the disc golf course (there are other facilities in the park.) Signs are only at one of the tee pads per hole.
Other Thoughts: I had played this course in its original 18 hole configuration 20 years ago. A configuration I prefer over today's design. However many of the trees (cedars) from back then have grown out and closed out that course. This is (for the most part) a tight technical course, through a wooded section of the park. Some areas are old growth (tall trees with few lower branches), others are recent open growth area (aka lots of branches).

Discs for sale (and bags) are available at the Park headquarters. There is an entrance fee for the park on weekends ($3 for MD residents, $5 for out of staters). Park Headquarters is accessible without having to pay the entrance fee.

Killer Park

2-4    10/19/2012   10/19/2012
Review By: skyzer213
Pros: There are a lot of pros to this course. Lots of elevation change. Very wooded fairways and not so wooded fairways. 2-3 tees on every hole. In the fall season the trees are absolutely beautiful.
Cons: The majority of tees are not level. They vary from being slightly uphill/downhill to being too much on way or the other. Also most of the tees are made up of slippery cobblestones or flag stones which make it very difficult to get a good throw off in wet or moist conditions.
Other Thoughts: I was very impressed overall with this course. Its laid out in a 30 acre area which makes for a lot of variety. The first nine begins with a tight fairway that I have yet to hit, and continues on through the forest getting a little bit more forgiving as you go. The second nine is brutal to say the least. Very long and very wet in a few places. The final nine is very manicured looking; rolling grassy hills with a variety of trees.
Im from Nor Cal and we have some pretty awesome courses in our area but I wish we had this course in our area as well. Cant wait to return to Gaithersburg in the future and play here again!

Can't beat it

1    9/23/2012   9/23/2012
Review By: goober
Pros: - variety. incl different pin positions and mats for P & A 's
- beautiful surroundings
- excellent t areas
- very nice holes descriptions
Cons: - not well marked in spots
- holes are "comingled"; this means I would think that holes 1-9 etc would be grouped together but they are sort of intertwined - bad for a first timer like me
- need to be careful on the front 9 for potentially losing discs
- DC traffic - need I say more ?
Other Thoughts: - very, very nice, challenging course - if you are in the area, a must
- GPS coordinates put me in a resindential area so I need to check what I entered into the nav system

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6