Gaithersburg, MD
Seneca Creek State Park Share
Uploaded By: DannyS Hole #13
Hole #13 Basket (C Position)

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6
everything you could want in a dg course!

1    5/10/2015   5/11/2015
Review By: adazm
Pros: of the hundreds of courses i have played, this is definitely one of my favorite. just a beautiful layout with 9 holes all looping back to the parking lot. the long holes are incredibly challenging, the short holes are a birdie fest, and the mediums are pleasantly in between.
great OB line markers.
the creek never hurts for ambiance!
Cons: lack of trash cans is a minor annoyance, but hardly a big deal.
there was a tremendous amount of creepy crawly wildlife (i saw 2 snakes, a large toad, a gillion caterpillar things that fell from the sky and a giant millipede dealie). so it goes.
Other Thoughts: granted i was here in the midst of spring on an 82 degree day with low humidity. am not sure i would have been AS enchanted here in january or july.

Maryland's Finest

5+    4/5/2015   4/6/2015
Review By: Mohawk Mack
Pros: 27 holes with a varitey of holes, a few lunch eaters and few aceable holes and everything in between. Each 9 starts and ends right by the parking lot. There's two practice baskets right by the parking lot as well. There's plently of signage and new tee pads have been installed on 8 holes. Multiple pin placements. Cost you $3 to get into the park on the weekends from Easter till October, but it's worth it. There's a crew of guys that maintain and improve the course regularly, if you see them, please thank them, without them it wouldn't be the course it is.
Cons: No trash cans, so please whatever you bring in, please take it out with you, that includes your cigarette butts too!
The only real cons that I see is for players new to the course, it can get a bit confusing going from #5 to #6, you have to go up the hill to #6 tee pad. And from #12 to #13. You have to walk down towards #6 tee pad and walk down to #13 tee pad towards the creek. And from #7 to #8, because it intersects with #24 to #25, but if you open your eyes and use your head, you should be just fine. The only other con would be #13 & #14 can get really muddy and slick after a solid rain and make throwing a bit tricky.
Other Thoughts: The pin placements get changed pretty regularly to keep things interesting. In the warmer months you will have bugs and other critters but you're playing disc golf outside, in the woods, in Maryland, you're bound to incounter a few, be prepared.
Out of Bounds on #3, #4, #5, #13, & #14, and will put a hurtin' on your score.
All & all, it's a great course and if you haven't played it yet, you need to play it.

8 New Teepads!

5+    4/1/2015   4/2/2015
Review By: badbrad
Pros: Last weekend, our local club (Cedar Farm Disc Golf Club) installed eight new concrete teepads. They are ready to play on holes 2 Blue, 3 Blue, 6 Red, 7 Red and 7 White, 11 Red, 13 Red, and 27 Red. Average size is 4 1/2' wide x 15' long. They are large and level! We will also have new pads on 23 Blue and 18 Blue within a few weeks. Come on out and enjoy!

Great Course

5+    3/23/2015   3/31/2015
Review By: hawk12
Pros: Three separate nine hole loops, multiple pins and two tees on every holes give so many options for the casual player and tournament layouts to be different.
Outstanding design and use of the land (which is pretty great in its own right). Many different shots must be played through the field holes and the wooded holes alike. Having a good, well balanced game of power and finesse comes into play here - too much of one and not enough of the other will not yield a tournament winner.
Back to the land, nice elevation changes, streams, nicely mowed grass fields, beautiful wooded areas with views of the creek and far hillsides on several holes.
The park itself has nice amenities, heated bathrooms, running water, ample parking, well maintained. This is a pack it in, pack it out park - so don;t expect trash cans. But be respectful and clean up after yourself.
Cons: The tee pads always seem to be a work in progress. They are being worked on and I like what I'm seeing.
Used to be very narrow tee pads, and the older, shorter concrete ones are being expanded on.
Last time there I saw 4x6s around a few tees and others were already expanded and had a gravel base down, so this one draw back is being worked on.
And I do know just how much work it is to install 54 tee pads in some not too easy to get to places... But its my only con at Seneca
Other Thoughts: I've been traveling to and playing Seneca for 10+ years and really love it here. Seasonal allergies do just about kill me as I'm allergic to the invasive Olive trees & have had a really tough time at the Soiree more than once...
The course is well worth the 3 hour drive for me, and I would recommend it to any golfer.
The design is what I really like, it has worked through the old roller course (still was a great course) and evolved into one of the more well rounded courses in my opinion. As stated, it takes all your shots to do well here.
The variety of shot selection, risk/reward shots, as well as the mental & physical challenge of playing 27 holes in the longer pins - Seneca is truly one of my favorite courses.
If/when the tees get finished and are all large, level and consistent, this is easily a 4.75-5 course for me. I'd put it at 4.5 even with the variety of tees in use today.

Great disc golf course

1    12/6/2014   1/4/2015
Review By: dj3k
This review was updated on 2/19/2015
Pros: 27 holes

Good signage. Not confusing as a first timer trying to navigate.

Great variety of holes. Plenty of lengthy holes.

This course seems to have some good support from a local club. I went on a Saturday late morning in late fall and it was busy. There appeared to be a possibly some random draw dubs going on. There was also a work crew out there. All the signs of healthy club to support this well maintained course.

Great variety of tees and basket positions.
Other Thoughts: Would definitely go back if I am ever in the beltway again, which I am sure I will be.

If its winter time...

1    12/3/2014   12/15/2014
Review By: Bd 37
Pros: Very fun course. Tons of different shots, S shots, long bomb hazers, short putter driving holes, low flick skip shots etc. You will need a wide range of skills to succeed here.
Good variety of length and accuracy, and with the variety of tee pads to shoot from, there should be a configuration for most skill levels.
Cons: A few holes just hard for hard sake. I think even a tour pro might be banging their head against a wall after playing a few of these holes. Tee pads could use a bit of work.
Other Thoughts: If the park was free to enter, this would be a 4.5+ in my book. However, with the rather steep price of admission, my standards go up. I expect more trash cans throughout, better tee pads, and some of the trails were hard to follow for someone playing the course blind. All in all, definitely one to play if your in the area

So Right, in So Many Ways

1    8/17/2014   9/6/2014
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Seneca Creek State Park hosts 27 holes of disc golf bliss. There is an terrific blend of grass, woods, water, elevation change, fun and frustration that is all contained in a wonderfully beautiful and clean park. There isn't really extreme terrain, but all of the elements that make up a good course can be found here. My favorite holes were 5, 13 and 14, some of the longest, and more wooded holes, with a creek running the length on the left of the fairways. The course was obviously very well loved, and someone was dutifully trimming branches here and there while I played. Long and short concrete tees for most, if not all holes, and usually multiple pin positions.
Cons: I couldn't really complain, but trash cans would be nice. They are going for pack in, pack out trash, and it seems to be working. All par 3, but on some holes, certainly with the long pin positions, thats no gimmie. Pets must be leashed to my doggies dismay.
Other Thoughts: Would be playing this one frequently if I lived in the area. The 4.25 average rating is dead on, but I went ahead and gave a 4.5 by virtue of having 27 holes with great equipment and impeccably clean and beautiful surroundings. I really liked the personality of this course, and it was in magnificent condition. I played the day after a tourney was hosted there. There may not be a trademark awesome hole here, but there is consistent high quality through all 27 holes. I shot a 10 over par 91 on my first and only round so far. Hope to get another crack at it someday. Very fun course in a very nice park. Other activities in addition to disc golf.

1    8/9/2014   8/9/2014
Review By: unsmith
Pros: There isn't much that can be said about this course that hasn't already been said - it's well known as an excellent course. My personal take-aways:

Plenty of variety in shots, this isn't a RHBH course where you might have to throw one or two anhyzers per round, there are plenty of those shots here, a few thumbers, and of course the legendary rollers when the grass isn't too high.

Very little chance of actually losing a disc, unless you really huck one into the brush or into the creek or something like that.

Excellent signage, some of the best I've seen.

Each set of 9 holes ends up back at the parking lot, making it easy to play them in sets.
Cons: Some of the tee pads are uneven and could use some improvements.

Middle 9 can be a bit arduous with lots of walking/hiking between holes. This is even more noticeable if pins are in the A position.

Cedars... ugh. Stay away. At least there are poles here and there to try and poke your disc out from their hungry clutches.
Other Thoughts: It's listed as moderately woody, but honestly it's on the low end of that. There are distinct, well-defined lines for most shots.

Bugs are there but not really too bad.

Two separate practice baskets, which is a nice plus.

One of Maryland's Best

1    7/16/2014   7/17/2014
Review By: DGsudds
Pros: Variety of difficult shots. Fairly easy to navigate. Bugs are not too much of an issue. I consider myself very amateur and I did not lose any discs.
Cons: Most of the hole were very difficult. Only about 5 holes were open enough to make a very simple shot. Although they weren't terrible, some of the tee boxes could be redone. As mentioned the course is easy to navigate, but some new arrows and signs could be fixed or added.
Other Thoughts: If you plan on playing all 27, it'll take you at least 2.5 hours, so start before 6 during the summer! I haven't been to TOO many disc golf courses, so my rating may be subject to change at a later date. Make sure to bring water because their is no running water or bathroom facility besides a portapotty.

Scenic Seneca

1    6/8/2014   6/15/2014
Review By: New013
Pros: Layout - Seneca is three 9 hole loops that is comprised mostly of smaller rolling hills dotted with trees; there's also some more wooded technical holes thrown in.

There are multiple pins and tees so the possible layouts you can play is a huge plus. I only played once but from the looks of it these changed the course quite a bit. The different pads usually had different angles or earlier tighter gaps for the longer ones.

Overall the course just has a really nice mix in lines and elevation changes that will give you a solid challenge if you play from the longs. It's a course that really pushes you to be creative in your shot shaping because there are so many options off the tee.

It says all the holes are par 3's but for most people you're going to play a lot of holes that take multiple shots to get to the greens. Although again on many holes the option of being creative with rollers or huge shots above the canopy is possible.

Really nice pin placements from what I remember. Some were tucked in corners, guarded heavily by trees or on slopes that made them difficult to access and second guess running that long putt.

Equipment - Baskets were in good condition. The pads were a mix of different things depending on which one you were on, all were large/solid and I didn't have a problem with any of them.

Really nice tee signs that had a map of the hole and different pads/pins. It also had beads showing which pin position the hole was in, huge plus.

Atmosphere - The course seems to be in an area of the park all to itself which is great, never saw anyone not playing disc golf out there. The park is really beautiful, nice venue for a course.
Cons: Layout - My biggest complaint about the course is that it just seems repetitive, especially after 27 holes. No holes really stand out all that much and even the transitions in and out of the woods don't do enough to give you a fresh feeling as you play.

The holes did seem to play left to right more so than any other way so it does favor certain players from what I could tell.

Also many holes that were more open didn't do much to punish bad shots or reward good but not great ones. Seems like you either nail it just right or you're playing a simpler second shot looking for par.

Atmosphere - Bugs my god the bugs. They were even worst than I imagined. They go up your nose and in your mouth and eyes; bug spray didn't seem to affect them.
Other Thoughts: Half way through this round I may have rated it higher but by the time I got done with 27 I was ready to leave.

It's a really solid course and some holes are a ton of fun but like I said it just feels repetitive at a point. If I lived close I'd probably get in the routine of playing one or two nine hole loops.

I had two of my all time greatest drives out here and when I think about this course that's mostly what I remember.

I was under the basket on #13 (375' version). Threw my aires on a super high turnover line and it just held around the corner, beautiful line.

The other was the finishing hole 27, we played long to long (507'). I threw my cannon on a high turnover line up over the tree on the left and it just panned all the way to about 20' from the basket.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6