Gaithersburg, MD
Seneca Creek State Park Share
Uploaded By: John Merhi Hole #24
Hole #24 Approach: Basket is in A position on left, B position back and to right.

Seneca Creek

5+    1/15/2011   1/16/2011
Review By: thanxmikey
Pros: Excellent course condition for January. The weather has been pretty gusty around these parts so I was impressed that the fairways were all clean of debris. This is a beautiful wooded course even in the winter.

Excellent tee box locations. The concrete tee boxes while covered with about an inch of snow were not too difficult to get footing.

Tee box markers: Wow! Really nice tee box markers. Multiple layout of baskets, etc..Just very nicely done. Sign attached to a set of poles.

I think the layout is challenging yet forgiving. The shot can be difficult but if you can make a good throw you are rewarded for your efforts. Less is more on this course.

Lots of trees!

27 Holes!

The course is located in an area designated for disc golf. So no real hikers or recreationists impeding play.Our goup realy took our time and we finished in under 2 1/2 hours.

Practice baskets to warm up on are located next to parking lot.

No fee to enter park this time of year. Park opens at 10am. We got there at 9:35am and the gate was locked.

Cons: The snow on the ground made it cumbersome at times to get around the course.

The out of bounds markers are usually very obvious however the poor weather has covered the OB strings with debris. You just need to really watch out for this along the water holes in the front 9.

Hole #7 does not have a tee box marker. After completing hole #6 follow the "yellow" sign for Hole #7 (attached to the tree located behind #6 basket) up the slight grade and you will see the tee box to use for #7. Not a big deal, we walked around for maybe 5-7 minutes before we realized where we needed to be from previous visits to course.

Some of the baskets looked to be a bit beat up.
Other Thoughts: This is a "pack it in,pack it out" course so there are no trash cans on the course itself. There is a trash can at the bulletin board.

An up to date course map was available at the bulletin board. If I am not mistaken the course had a little different of a layout than the last time I played in 2010. The map really was helpful to locate Hole #7 (see above).

Great course.

Wow

5+    7/23/2009   11/22/2010
Review By: Crackers
Pros: Easily one of the most beautiful courses out there.
Short, long, open and tunnel holes.
Good pro shop.
27 holes that will keep you busy for a long time.
Cons: None.
Other Thoughts: I love this place and wish I still lived in the area to play it more.

Great Course

2-4    7/25/2010   7/27/2010
Review By: tistoude
This review was updated on 8/16/2010
Pros: This course is located in a very large, and very nice state park that offers tons of ameneties and non DG related activities. Bathroom at the parking lot.
-Seneca Creek is extremely well taken care of. Each fairway was clear and there were no branches or debris on the course. Zero litter. The local club puts a lot of work into the course and it shows.
-Most holes have three different pin placements and the pins make the holes radically different. Some adding more than 100 feet to the hole.
-27 Holes. At least two tees and 3 pins per hole makes for an infinite variety of play.
-Good Fairways. Each hole had distinct fairways and clear routes to the hole.
-Great elevation. Even though this is not the hilliest area in the country there are plenty of elevation changes on this course without any brutal up hill shots.
-Nice variety of open(ish) and wooded holes.
-Benches at almost every hole. This is very nice when you are playing long tees to B or C pins or trying to get in all 27.
-Aesthetically pleasing. Seneca is a very beautiful course. Very green, with a nice creek and good looking cedar trees and mature hardwoods all around. Not much in the way of thorns, prickers, or whatever you call them in your area.
-All three nines loop back to the parking lot so you can mix and match your nines and always have a short walk to the car.
Cons: This course heavily favors lefties and RHFH. Playing short tees to short pins I threw 16 RHFH shots from the tee.
-Lack of garbage cans. There did not seem to be any even in the parking lot area.
-No water near the course. There is some in other areas of the park but not at the DG course.
-Tees. You can tell alot of work went into the tees but a solid slab of concrete would be a litte safer that narrow brick tees.
Other Thoughts: This course is not very far away from Washington DC and is just off of interestate I270 making it very convenient to get to. The locals are awesome and the course offers so much variety that I would love to play it another twenty times.
The course itself not that strenuous of a walk but there is no water at the course so be prepared, bring water and bug spray.
This is a great course through the cedars.

Tightest drives we've ever played

1    6/27/2010   6/28/2010
Review By: crandellfamily
Pros: My family qualifies as long-term novices. We've played only 3 DC courses thus far, and this is my favorite.

Great concept to have 27 well-designed holes in 3 separate loops. If you don't have the time or energy for all 27 you can pick your starting point and work from there. My son and I started on 10, and played a combination of white and red tees, covering all 3 loops.

Good challenge with a huge emphasis on accuracy. It would help a lot to have more shot selection than we can produce - including a reliable roller, a backhand drive with a flat low trajectory, and a strong tomahawk recovery shot. Many of the holes, from both long and short tee, have trunks and branches tight against the tee boxes which can disrupt your drive. We noticed this especially on #6, #11, #15, #20, #21.

Holes in the grassy areas provide inviting landing areas, but you can't just let the drive or approach drop anywhere. Depending upon basket placement, you can be directed back into the woods, and a potentially blocked putt. That was the case on #8, #9, #14, #19, #23.

The flags above the baskets are a huge help, especially with so many basket placements to consider.

Favorite holes:

The entire stretch from #12-14.

12 drops sharply off the tee, inviting a longer drive. The fairway curls back uphill to the right.

Trees at 13 pinch the aim of your drive left, but a creek and OB line the entire left side of the fairway. Great natural setting, demanding accuracy with each shot. My choice for toughest hole on the course.

From the long tee at 14 you need to clear a horseshoe bend in the creek. Not especially hard to do, but it's a great view. As close as this course comes to a signature shot.

#20
I liked how the trees frame the fairway for the drive, and the very sharp dogleg right design, with a gradual downhill slope to the basket.

#22
Another gradual downhill that invites a longer drive. The angle of attack consistently tightens as you approach the basket, back into the woods.
Cons: The following observations definitely won't be cons for everyone.

Even though it's relatively short, the course isn't beginner friendly. On most holes, one wayward shot invites another three or four pinballs through the trees.

Most tee boxes are narrow, and made of rough cement blocks. It's a bit tougher to get the best footing for a run-up. More important, when the trees are tight against the tees, a narrow tee box makes the shot selection and angle even more limiting/exacting for the drive.

Baskets are a bit worn, and a few of them seemed to sit especially low to the ground. Not a big deal: from the DG postings, I realize there's no set standard for basket height. And with all the basket placements this course offers, the situation can change from one visit to the next.

Bring bug spray for warm weather. 85 degrees when we played, and we felt we were chewing our way through swarms of gnats. Bugs seemed much less of an issue on the more wooded sections.

Fairways can get overgrown in the summer, and there's lots of blind shots that increase the opportunities for lost discs. This was most obvious on 14. We lost track of a couple throws that were as accurate as we could hope for.

First-time course navigation can be difficult. There's currently no map on the on-site bulletin board. That could be an easy future fix. I downloaded the DG course review map after the fact, and it's very helpful. It shows why we stumbled from 12 to 6, and why we veered to 13 after playing 25. The signage wasn't consistent, but otherwise OK. The longest basket-to-tee walks, from 13 through 16, were fairly obvious.

No clear sign to the first tees. My son and I started on 10 because it's the first tee we found. Tee signs typically refer to blue and red, with red as the long tee. Once on course, it's pretty clear that the white tees - often marked by plastic cups - are long, and reds are short.
Other Thoughts: Seneca Creek looks like a great park overall. Lots of space, which permits the course to stake out its own territory. My daughters took a kayak out on the lake, while my son and I golfed.

There were yellow brick frames set into most if not all fairways. They seemed to be ultra-short tee boxes. If that's correct, they were almost too easy for anybody above the level of my youngest daughter. Or maybe they're non-stop ace runs for local competitions. That of course can be a plus, but it would help if the tees get some kind of clarification/visibility.

Seems like a huge difference between summer and winter golf on this course. It may be psychological more than anything else - but between all the bugs and sweat and encroaching leaves and brush, we may have benefited from better timing. On the other hand, it was nice to see all the greenery, and it was clear enough for us to spot a few deer along the left side of the 23rd hole.

Excellent and scenic course!

5+    12/14/2009   3/14/2010
Review By: sidewinder22
This review was updated on 5/2/2014
Pros: 27 absolutely solid holes with multiple concrete paver tees and pins can make this course anywhere from fairly easy in all shorts to a beat-down long to long. 3 loops of 9 hole back to the parking lot. Rolling hills provide lots of elevation changes. Nice tee signs with pin indication. This is a pretty technical course that rewards accuracy over distance. Bad shots are punished, but if you have good trick shots you can get out of trouble. Well maintained course with defined fairways and groomed grounds for rollers. Great course for tournaments, often forget there are other people on the course and feels like its just your card playing. Disc-golf only area of park. Map in parking lot. Porta-potties. Scenic views and lots of wildlife.
Cons: Navigation can be a little tricky in a few places for first timers, but overall flows well. Tees can get slippery when wet, and some tees are bit too grippy. Holes by the river can hold water and be muddy. Not many holes to let loose a driver and can be repetitive. No trash cans.
Other Thoughts: One of my favorite courses in the long to long layout. $3 to enter park on weekends. The whole park is beautiful and the disc-golf only area makes this course feel really secluded. One of the few courses that the 2 meter rule is always in effect with disc-eating cedar trees on a number of holes. Get ready to roll around the cedars instead of trying to throw air shots. This course is highly recommended to play if you are anywhere near the DC area!

Great course!

5+    11/8/2009   11/11/2009
Review By: Redsauce
Pros: Great course with some very interesting holes. It's got some really tricky holes back in the woods, with some very technically challenging/tricky parts. Frequently I don't even bother with distance and just try to keep it in the fairway. It can get ugly if you're off the fairway. There's quite a bit of replay value, as you can alternate tees for some different looks.
It's a beautiful course that's nestled back in the woods. The underbrush walks the fine line between well-groomed (so no poison ivy), but still very natural. I've seen tons of deer, snakes, toads--you name it. It can be quite a bit of a walk, so be prepared for that. This is hands-down one of my favorite courses to play.
Cons: Some of the signage is non-existent. Hole 12 is actually Hole 7 (I think). Definitely print out a map of the course before you go, it is the only way to find some of the holes.
Other Thoughts: Be careful on weekends, it can get quite crowded, especially if you are playing with a smaller, faster moving group. Big groups show up and can slow things down, though everyone is very nice about it. It's just that when you're the 3rd of 4th group in line waiting, it is hard to play through if you're a smaller group.

A Walk Amongst The Deer

2-4    11/9/2009   11/9/2009
Review By: forehandfranz
This review was updated on 5/21/2013
Pros: Isolated in it's own corner of the park, Seneca Creek players will feel they have their own little slice of wonder. Many of the holes play along the creek while the rest are on meticulously mowed fairways spotted with conifers, hardwoods and those disc-gobbling cedars. Lots of variety with elevation, and fairway width (they can get quite narrow, and are never too open). The pin placements (at least two per hole) are very creative and rarely give you a predictable approach. I love the fact that there are just enough trees in the fairways to make you shape your shots on both drives and approaches (and often putts too!) My favorite hole is #22 which is a slight downhill dogleg right that will force you to shape a shot for the first 250 ft. for an accurate landing- because your approach to the pin is heavily blocked by thin trees to the right and left and a very narrow opening in the middle - with a few more trees there for good measure. Otherwise the green is pretty open. Another favorite comes on the next hole where you go slightly uphill and right in a reasonably open fairway. Then you enter a narrow tunnel lined with thin trees (sound familiar?) going downhill to a pin with a drop off behind it garnering great caution! Fun, fun. Dual tee pads allow for dual challenges. Navigation is excellent as there are well marked tees and arrows to point you the right direction. Tee pads are nice and grippy concrete.

The neat thing about this course is the beautiful topography and how the designers have utilized it effectively. It allows all types of throws from rollers to power to finesse. A really nice touch is that each loop of 9 (3 of them) ends up back at the parking lot so that you can mix up your round conveniently.
Cons: These are only minor suggestions- only some of the tees had hole layouts on them. It sure would be nice to know where you needed to throw. If this could be used in conjunction with the method that Tyler St. Park uses by putting a rotating dial underneath the map of the hole that indicates the current pin placement- it solves the problem of having to walk up the fairway to investigate.
Other Thoughts: I seem to always see deer when I come here - what a bonus! Also the peace and quiet is wonderful - there were 15 or 20 cars in the lot but I felt like I had the course to myself.

2-4    9/5/2009   9/5/2009
Review By: prerube
This review was updated on 4/25/2010
Pros: 27 holes with multiple tee pads and basket positions.
Signs at the basket lead you to the next hole.
NO DOG POOP..YAY
decent variety for players to practice different shots: Elevation, sharp doglegs, tunnels, a great variety of everything.
course is basically 3 loops, so you can get a drink out of your car or go to the bathroom every 9 holes.
Cons: Course is a navigational nightmare.
I had played the course before and I had a guide who played before and we still had to ask for directions. Many missing tee signs, hole 7 tee sign was labeled 12 with a faded 7 written over it in marker.
Course was difficult to navigate, and the map given at the enterence is little to no halp. Hole 14 had grass so tall I almost skipped the hole (second time I played the grass was well maintained) , I was soaked from wet grass up to my knees after playing the hole.
No signature holes that you will go home and talk about. Course began getting monotonous after 20 holes.
Other Thoughts: The park costs $2 to park (maryland resident) Signs will lead you to the disc golf course with out a problem.
The course took just under 2 hours to play solo and I walked 2.5 miles through out the 27 holes.
There are a lot of deer, chipmunks, and other wildlife to watch on the course.
It was a hike from hole 13 to 14 and 14 to 15.
With only the addition of proper signage this course could become one the best in Maryland/NOVA area.

Evermeans and HARDwoods!

1    8/17/2009   9/1/2009
Review By: optidiscic
Pros: A unique blend of deep hardwood woods and then fields interspersed with plenty of cedars and occasional deciduous trees. A creek comes in play on some of the holes. This course will refine your game. You have to be able to roll here, line shape, long controlled drives, tricky approaches, and have an arsenal of get out of trouble shots. A very solid course that I am sure develops some excellent players. I particularly enjoyed the hardwood holes, especially hole #3 a long downhill drive through tight woods. Course runs in a series of 9 hole loops back at main lot. Practice basket with plenty of room to practice putts and midrange shots....thats rare so much space around a practice basket. I liked that. 2 tees per hole and appears multiple pin locations. Disc golf only environment with the only traffic being deer herds. I hit a long putt and a doe and fawn were my only witnesses. It's clear a lot of work has been done here.....that cedar field looks like prime multi flora rose territory but I did not get plucked by a thorn all day. I have to tip my cap to whoever clears and maintains the course.
Cons: Tees were rather narrow for my 6'3" frame. (I prefer to X-STEP and not x-step) Course generally lacking any tee signs. (no biggie to me) If you print out a map beforehand your fine here otherwise you can wander a bit at times. The main problem I had with the course was the sense of deja vu I had here. For instance, holes 4,5,13 and 14 are basically long wooded fairways with a creek running to the left. While these are great holes I had a sense of didn't I just do this. Once out of the woods and in the cedar fields the sense of Groundhog Day is ever present.....seems every hole has some cedars some trees and your basically making the same choice...keep it low or roll. All of the holes require a lot of skill but it just seemed to become repetitive after awhile. Outside of hole #3 nothing really jumps out at you on this course. Solid but unspectacular. Kind of like the girl next door.......not really any sexy amazing holes but rather solid nice holes here. I really thought there were plenty of places on this course for some big drives up/down the steep banked valleys. The walk from 14 to 15 comes to mind. Maybe a few more high risk along the ridge type shots with penalty going way down the valley below.Instead most wooded holes creep along the valley floor and your staring at massive unused elevation shifts all around you but never in play. Perhaps just my taste but I wanted more drama out there. I found the cedar filled field to be a good challenge but just not my cup of tea. With half the holes of this nature I was almost bored....reminded me of Codorus Blue. Has that ongoing challenge without enough truly memorable holes. Could the creek be used differently or perhaps it's limited by environmentalist concerns? Basically just a big long professional course. Nothing wrong with that but I wasn't daydreaming of any of the holes here on my way home.
Other Thoughts: Despite the lack of any glamour holes, this course much like Knob Hill and Codorus Blue have to be taken in as a whole to be appreciated. That is nothing really stands out as amazing but in the end playing 27 holes of challenging expert golf with no bad holes is something special. This course and Patapsco Valley makes a fine day of disc golf. I also threw my crystal buzz into a tall cedar on hole 27...looked like a big red Xmas ball 20 feet up, really pissed me off to end my day that way...then to my astonishment I saw the poles that are placed throughout to help in such emergencies. It took me perhaps 20 throws but I became rather adept at the javelin throw and eventually knocked my disc free. You can ask the deer who watched me do it, he was impressed...probably my best throw of the day!

Seneca Creek Surprise

5+    5/9/2011   8/12/2009
Review By: G Bud
This review was updated on 5/9/2011
Pros: -Strong local club & park support
-Beautiful & well maintained course - Pack it in, pack it out rule very well followed.
-Great nature & bird watching / spotting opportunities. Creek comes into play on some holes.
-Two tees & multiple pin positions - Excellent for tournament play.
-Course is challenging but great for players of all levels to work on their game.
-Variety of terrains - Be prepared for a good hike.
-Course pretty easy to follow
-Overall the potential for a relaxing round of DG.
Cons: -DC Metro Traffic!!!! - Can be a pain - Plan & Time of your trip well.
-Little Natty bugs can be a bother in warm weather.
Other Thoughts: The last time I played Seneca Creek DGC it was only an 18 hole course. That's gotta be an easy decade ago. Back in the mid 90s, this course was the best thing going in DC and deservedly so. We all had to play it and play it often. Thanks for the great times back then, Craig!
When I arrived I did find it peculiar that what I remember to be hole 1 was now hole 10. I was both surprised and excited to figure out it was now a 27 hole gem. I remember back in the day Craig saying he had the room to expand. Even with the change, playing it was like hooking up with an old friend.
It took me a while to figure the lay out. Kept an eye on a few locals to figure out where the first hole was. (It needs a marker but it is to the left as you enter the parking lot.) Once I got started, it was pretty easy to follow the course. I was sorry to see that some of the old booming hill holes were gone with the expansion but I was having so much fun I got over that pretty quick.
This course is still one of the gems in the Washington, DC area. If your game isn't treating you well, the scenery will help relax and realign your focus. I had the same little white-tail doe follow me on three holes. Truly a Kodak Golf Spot moment on the DC Beltway. A definite wish list pick. Hope to see you at the Soiree!!