Gaithersburg, MD
Seneca Creek State Park Share
Uploaded By: John Merhi Hole #22
Hole #22 Short Tee: A position center, B position down hill and right.

I like trees

5+    8/3/2009   8/5/2009
Review By: Jonasjake
Pros:
Well groomed fairways, brand new tee-boxes, short and long, 27 technical fun holes, surrounded by huge trees, and good people.

Risk reward shots on almost every hole, where an average player can work on their throws and a veteran can know they're doing it right.

Good people. If you show up, there's bound to be 1 or a dozen guys/gals (1 in particular is there everyday, you'll know him when you meet him) there to give you a hint or just play a round.

Craig gave a good example of the course layout, but to me it is just a relaxing, fun, getaway that everyone should experience.
Cons: Tee box signs.
Other Thoughts: I said tee-box signs, however I am torn about the idea....too many signs nowadays

Sing it with me...
"D C G
Signs, signs, everywhere signs
D G
F'n up the scenery, messin' my mind

I prefer Peter Frampton....get a friend and sing...
Oh won't youuuu, show me the way.

good but not great --

5+    6/1/2009   8/1/2009
Review By: dcleve
This review was updated on 8/12/2009
Pros: Lots of holes, multiple pin and tee locations, lots of varity of play, well maintained park and course. No poison ivy.
Cons: This course is less parklike than most in the area, with lots of unmanicured rough. The overall look is less pretty.
With the expansion to 27 holes, the quality of the couse dropped. Most of the new holes are tree hacks, with a few where you are wading through a swamp. To fit the new holes in, some previously spectacular holes were eliminated. There are few long downhill or ridgeline holes any more. The long holes have the players throwing out of a hollow, and most of the downhill ones now are tree hacks.
Other Thoughts: Sometimes more isn't better.
I don't want to diss the course, because it is still a good play, with a lot of replayability.
I suspect the course is even more techncially challenging than it was previously -- it is certainly a challenge to play for me. But there are aesthetics to a course and to watching long downhill or ridgeline throws that the course designers seem not to value.

Well kept beauty

1    7/22/2009   7/22/2009
Review By: sloppydisc
Pros: Beautiful course that has obviously been well taken care of. Separated from the rest of a large park, and has the feel of a 1st class course. Clean fairways in woods and on open grassy areas. Every hole plays fair with chances at good scores if you can shoot accurately. Not punished too badly for bad shots. If you want a top notch course that feels like your walking on a pristine nature trail this one's for you.
Cons: Might be picky, but there wasn't any holes that wowed me. Everything is nice, but nothing unique or overly challenging. Solid but kind of boring course. Layout is a little challenging for 1st timer. Could have better signs to direct toward next hole in some areas.
Other Thoughts: I would easily give this course a 4 if there was better signs and 1 or 2 better holes. Definitely worth a drive to play in that nice a setting though.

Must Play

2-4    5/25/2009   5/30/2009
Review By: Lumberg
Pros: 27 holes with multiple pin placements, multiple tee boxes, lots of forest/greenery/rolling hills, improves your game
Cons: not really a con but hard for a righty, seems like a more right turning holes than left. if my buddy wasn't with me, it would have taken a few tries to find some of the next tee boxes.
Other Thoughts: one of the best i've ever played in VA/MD/CO, but i've only played about 10 total courses to date

Must play but a couple problems

1    5/22/2009   5/24/2009
Review By: kuhlbeans
Pros: If it weren't for the couple of minor cons below this course is easily a 5 rating. With just one play it's now in my top 3 with Lincoln Ridge/Banklick in KY and Cedar Hill in Nashville.

I like it so much because it is in such a beautiful park. The scenery is just what I'm looking for: lots of rolling hills and trees and even a small stream on a couple of holes. The woods holes (1-6, 13-18) are probably my favorite of the course because of both the look and the challenge they offer, but even the open holes are not easy due to no completely open field shots. 13 and 14 are the stand out holes of the course for me because of the shots, especially 14's tee shot: a great view which opens out to a clearing only to have the basket nestled in some trees at the end. Some people mention the walk from 14 to 15, but I didn't find it overly long or that strenuous, but if you are not in good shape it definitely could be a strain.

Each hole has two tees and multiple basket locations for variety. One of the best things I can say about this course is I found it challenging but fair. When I had a bad score I felt it was due to my mistakes rather than the course punishing me for my disc being a foot off of where it should have been. In other words, I didn't feel there were any forced pitch 'n pray shots when you stayed on course.

The course is well maintained and I didn't have a problem with any of the baskets. Each standard had a flag on top to assist in locating it. The grass was kept short and the woods are mostly clear of undergrowth.
Cons: I managed to navigate the course without a map or assistance thanks to "next tee" pointers and hole # markers by the pads. However, I can definitely see the navigation being tricky, especially if you're new to disc golf, because there's some crisscrossing going on through the middle of the course area.

Because the pads do not have tee signs that show the hole layout, par, and length, I had to run ahead in a few places to find out where I should be throwing. Combining the map and the scorecard would help fill in the gap here, but two different documents is a bit too much on the player's part in my book. Note that there are a couple of holes with old tee signs; I'm not sure if they are completely accurate anymore. The baskets have orange tape with the hole number in black on the middle pole inside the chains, but a couple have the hole number on top and--I may be remembering this incorrectly so forgive me--I think a couple of these top signs had the wrong number. Only a couple of times are you unsure of which basket to throw at so this isn't too big of a deal, just run up until you can read the tape. The holes I recall having this problem were 9 (I could see 27's basket) and 10 (again, 27's basket).

Finally, as I've mentioned in other reviews, I'm not a fan of parks that pay for entrance. I understand the need, but I don't have to like it. I played on a weekday and fortunately did not have to pay, but a few bucks to play this course is worth it in the end.
Other Thoughts: Seneca Creek is a very large park with lakes, hiking trails, picnic areas, etc. Very beautiful place, I'd like to explore it more if I'm ever in the area again.

Technical and Physical

1    5/2/2009   5/3/2009
Review By: turbo
Pros: I played it for the 1st time after the 27-hole layout was installed, and I was impressed by the transformation from a roller-dominated, cedar-shrouded course to a diverse gem comprising numerous technical holes, several air-it-out long holes, hyzer holes, anhyzer/turnover holes and, yes, even a few roller holes. Accuracy is key on most drives, with trees of various sizes lurking to take your drive out, but the predominance of cedars that defined the old course has been expertly reined in. The course is popular,so there should be a pretty good chance that you could just show up and have someone to play with.
Even with the number of people, the 27-hole layout in 3 loops provides separation: I played the first nine all alone and only saw or heard a few other people on the adjacent loop(s). The course is well-marked, and the paths between basket and next tee are well-worn, so it's pretty easy to find your way-at least on the first loop.
Cons: The older baskets are prone to cut-throughs - I had two in the first 9 holes plus a ring-job bounceout that cost me three strokes. Of course, I could blame it on my putting.
Other Thoughts: I found it handy to carry the course map (on my Blackberry, along with all of the course photos from this website). The 2nd loop has a number of elevation changes, including the honker-of-a-hike from 14 to 15 that reminded me of hiking Yosemite: just look down and keep putting one foot in front of the other until you reach the top! I'm glad I hooked up with some regulars on the middle 9, or I might have been walking around a lot more looking for the next tee. All-in-all, lots of fun and pleasantly challenging.

Fantabulous

5+    4/9/2009   4/12/2009
Review By: tmahan
Pros: I'll reluctantly resist the temptation to peg this course as a 5 since that should be reserved for epic tracks like Paw Paw but there's just nothing not to like about this course. Gorgeous setting, challenging layout, multiple tees and pin settings, private feel, elevation changes, active group of volunteers and supportive Park management all make this a must play. Beautiful at any time of year, if you can catch it in late April/early May you'll get to enjoy the native Dogwood trees (even if you hit one or two). Each of the three 9 hole loops have a different character and allow you to work of different parts of your game. My favorite holes are #13 (old #11), #6 (pinball alley), #3 (gravity sucks) and #22 (open, or is it?). Trail is marked nicely in most places and where it isn't obvious there are signs to the next tee. Course is kept very clean.
Cons: Most holes tend to slightly favor the lefthand backhand line, but as mentioned earlier there's plenty of room to shape other shots. You may have to shoo deer out of the fairways. The walk from 12 to 13 isn't intuitive and there's a busy intersection after #7 and #24 but the signage is improving. Long walk from #14 pin to #15 tee (there was to be a hole or two in there that weren't permittted due to environmental concerns), lack of the epic downhill shot (see environmental concerns).
Other Thoughts: UPDATE; alcohol is no longer permitted (as of April 2009) in MD State Parks without a permit. Please help maintain the course's good standing with management by complying.

The old layout favored the roller on on most holes if you didn't have a monster air to take all the trees out of play. The new layout still has roller opportunties but generally offers more chances to fly. Maryland has four gems in Seneca, Patpasco, Rockburn and Druid with Seneca being the crown jewel imo.

Course designer review

5+    1/13/2009   1/22/2009
Review By: craigg
This review was updated on 11/26/2010
Pros: Multiple tees and pins allow for accessibility by all skill levels.
Loops starting and finishing at parking areas makes getting on the course easier for everyone during busy times of the year.
Hard surface teepads (almost finished!) keep maintenance and erosion to a minimum.
Elevation changes on 15/27 holes.
Flags on all the baskets is a great addition - vastly improving visibility.
Dedicated area to disc golf means zero conflicts with other park users. Scorecards and maps are usually available in a box mounted to the course information board, but can also be downloaded and printed from the course website at senecadg.net

New tee signs have just been installed and are some of the nicest tee signs anywhere! Check the course info for an example of what they look like. These should help tremendously in navigating the course - we have plans for additional wayfinding markers to make it even easier.
Cons: A few teepads still need to be built
No permanent shelter or bathrooms
Other Thoughts: This course has been a labor of love for me. I designed and installed the original course in 1990 with John Powell. And did the re-design in 2007 with John Gregory. The course remains one of the highest SSA courses in the world relative to its length. Where most other high SSA courses rely mostly on distance, Seneca relies on a combined distance and accuracy seen in very few places. I've played upwards of 250 or so courses, and there are several I rank above Seneca, but through all my discoveries of other wonderful places to play, Seneca has remained amongst my top 10. I take no greater joy than seeing a players game develop and be influenced by the challenges this course presents. If you are ever in the DC area and are looking for a place to play - don't pass this one up!!

Maryland gem

1    10/3/2008   1/14/2009
Review By: valkyriefb11
Pros: Seneca Creek State Park DGC is a gem of a course nestled in an absolutely beautiful state park on 30 acres of rolling hills, winding streams, towering forests and cedars solely dedicated to disc golf. This course is 27 holes of excellently planned disc golf. Seneca features 27 holes divided into three - nine hole loops. Each of these loops begin and end at the parking lot making playing different combinations that much easier.
The course offers a wide variety of holes including wooded shots, open drives and the famed Seneca cedars. There are some absolutely beautiful wooded holes including my personal favorites, holes 13-14. These wooded holes on the green loop play with Seneca creek as OB on the left and dense wood on the right. 13 is a long right dogleg from the pro tee to the far pin positions - a very challenging shot. 14 plays pretty straightforward, but the hole is very picturesque. The most striking aspect of Seneca is the numerous holes covered with cedar trees that eat your disc if given the opportunity. These somewhat open holes tempt you to air it out, but hitting a cedar could cost you strokes with the 2m rule. These holes truly are a roller's heaven if you can throw an accurate roller.
Seneca is one of those courses that require you to show up with all of your shots ready to use because it will require your best game if you are to do good, whether right or left handed you will be tested throughout the course. This is evident in the great variety at Seneca. There is a good balance of open/wooded, right/left turning, and elevated/flat.
Overall Seneca is an excellent course and one of the better Mid-Atlantic courses, one of the must plays for those in the area.
Cons: I played Seneca Creek right in the middle of renovations so I am trusting that some of these cons have been fixed and will soon become irrelevant.
First some of the new tees had not been put in (although they are supposed to be finished soon) Also there was a need for the signage to be updated and added on many of the holes. There are several areas where it is easy to get lost without a map and the shear length of several of the holes and the fact that pin placement can be different every time beg for tee signs to be on every hole. (I am assuming that new signs will be installed as the renovations are completed) Some of the holes needed to be cleared of debris and brush, but I believe this was done prior to the Seneca Soiree. ((Once these cons are fixed this course will be amazing and much, much better off))
Some personal dislikes were the presence of garbage (I mean an old car, washers and big stuff) on a couple of the back wooded holes, I just don't think this looks good on a course. Also I know beer is allowed in the park, but people seriously need to not leave cans and bottles around on the course.
Other than these few easily fixed things this course doesn't really have many cons. It really is an awesome course.
Other Thoughts: Seneca is a serene peaceful place to play DG and the wildlife in the park is amazing! There is nothing like having a 4 pt buck stand 10ft away from you and watch as you tee off. Just incredible! While out for the afternoon I saw countless different types of wildlife on the course. The park itself is beautiful and well worth just taking a drive/walk around the lake. There apparently is a fee ($3 out of state/$2 resident) to enter the park, but I didn't have to pay the day I played. There are a ton of restaurants within minutes of this course and it is also within easy driving distance of several other good Maryland courses. Seneca also hosts some premier tournaments throughout the year including the Seneca Soiree. (Check out http://www.md-discgolf.com / for more information on Seneca and its tournaments)
When you play, take a map and enjoy one of the premier courses in Maryland and in the mid-Atlantic region. Seneca truly is a must play course.

Must play course of MD

5+    10/4/2008   1/1/2009
Review By: dtwo
Pros: This is the best course in MD, play it when you get the chance.

Three loops of 9 holes with two tees for each hole, and multiple pin positions.

Before the Fall 2008 Soiree they finished enough tees so that the tournament was played completely on concrete tee pads!

Lots of variety, from tight fairways to more open, elevation changes, tight OB lines, etc.
Cons: A few tee pads remain to be completed before it will all be 100% concrete tees.

MD residents pay $2 entry fee on weekends ... still worth it or get the $75 / year State Park permit and play Patapsco too!
Other Thoughts: 2007 Soiree White tees to long SSA: 88.22