Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Tradewinds Park Share
Uploaded By: PDXDuck Hole #18 (Taken 6/2009)

An Icon of South Florida

5+    7/27/2010   7/27/2010
Review By: Edward Fowler
Pros: Metal signs mark Amateur tees. Concrete pads. Mix of open shots and some with woods and obstacles.
Cons: No marks for Pro pads. (Not all pins even have them). Easy to lose discs in lake or woods. Mostly open area gets overly hot, rain drains slowly leaving puddles.
Other Thoughts: Fun and challenging., Pins move every month to long and short positions. Bring discs you don't mind losing for first few times playing.Typical Florida weather- prepare accordingly.

Really fun course

2-4    6/26/2010   7/21/2010
Review By: KDencker
Pros: *Multiple Pads
*Multiple Pins
*Tee-signs
*Concrete pads
Cons: *Walk paths go through the course
*Metal disc shredding signs are by these walk paths. My poor new comet ended up with 2 chucks taken out because of the "Beware of flying discs" signs.
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed this course. I will go back there next time I am in that area.

I really loved the hole where you need to either go through heavy woods for the short easy way, or around them all for a little longer way, and then over a huge fallen tree, to where the basket is placed. Really cool.

This course it worth the 1.50 it costs to go in. If I was a local I would buy the yearly pass.

One of the best in South Florida

5+    5/12/2010   5/26/2010
Review By: TiVo713
Pros: I love this course. Definitely one for the big arms, its a beautiful park with lots of obstacles and water hazards. Every hole has a unique approach and they constantly change the pins to keep it fresh (most have 3 different positions). This is about as good as it gets down here in South Florida.
Cons: The water is always on the Right! I throw sidearm and my discs always fade right... also bug spray is a must on 4, and 10b... and while in the jungle looking for discs.
Other Thoughts: On major holidays like easter, labor day and memorial day, the course does get clogged by people using the park for BBQing and soccer.

Begginer Player - Begginer Course

1    4/22/2010   4/30/2010
Review By: Ludwig
Pros: Well marked T-Pad signage made it easy even for a beginner like me to figure out each hole although I did have an experienced guide helping me out.

Wide open for a good number of holes with a few shaped shots required.

As a lefty, it was nice that a lot of the holes had options for angles of attack.

Everyone we met on the course was helpful, and friendly. Even those that weren't playing but were enjoying the surrounding park.

Excellent mix of wide open, wooded, and water holes.
Cons: Due to recent rains, there were large bodies of water that wouldn't have normally been there requiring me to go wading in order to fetch my errant discs. Particularly on 16, and 17.

Unfortunately there was construction going on that prevented us from playing 15.
Other Thoughts: Although the water on 6 and 7 isn't necessarily a con, it does make it difficult for beginners.

I'm thrilled to have been introduced to the sport on a course like this and strongly recommend it for anyone else who is just starting out.

Fun

1    1/21/2010   1/23/2010
Review By: Shepack
Pros: Nice easy to navigate course. Nice 18 hole set up. Through a nice park that i found to not be verry crowded.
Cons: Flat as most courses in florida are. Not bad always room for improvment but a fun place to play.
Other Thoughts: The watter makes me nervious on 7 as i am a starving college student and don't wan't to loose me discs. I had a good time though and will be going agian soon.

Not bad, not amazing, but hey, its disc...

5+    12/26/2009   12/31/2009
Review By: Oregon_Nole
Pros: *Nice, well-maintained park.
*Plenty of long, but reachable with an excellent drive holes...
*The holes that do venture into the trees are way fun.
Cons: *Much too wide-open for my liking
*Busy walking/biking path runs through the course.
*Water... Given that I throw mainly FH, many of the water holes were terrifying
*Wind... Being wide open, this course gets exposed to the tradewinds it gets its name from.
Other Thoughts: I liked this park more than Easterlin, but I liked the course at Easterlin better than this course. I prefer wooded courses, and as I mentioned in my "cons", much of this course is wide open.

The course is pretty easy to navigate, and there seems to be a fair amount of players to follow around if you do get lost.

Overall not a bad course, but I enjoyed Easterlin more, and ended up playing there much more than Tradewinds, but both are woth a shot.

Good fun for everyone...

5+    11/28/2009   12/12/2009
Review By: stsren
Pros: Plenty of opportunity to air it out along with several holes that require more finesse. Well kept course with good tee visibility and labeling.
Cons: Baskets can be difficult to find unless you've played the course before, with a couple tucked into wooded alcoves.
The water can get in the way of your discs at times...so throw wisely.
Course is pay to play, since you have to pay to get into the park, but it is pretty cheap.
Other Thoughts: I have a personal vendetta against the lake at Tradewinds park, as I'm certain I've managed to individually raise the water level with my disc contributions there.
Other than that, I don't have anything to complain about. The area is great, the park is nice, and the course allows me to spray and pray my drives without remorse on most holes. If you're at all familiar with South Florida, you'll know that it's bound to be hot and potentially buggy, but that's just what So Fla is...

I'd recommend this disc golf course to anyone in the area!

Very open course, and hot in the Summer!

2-4    8/4/2007   9/9/2009
Review By: Scott Van Dyke
Pros: I play this course when visiting family in FLA. I'm from WI, so the scenery is a welcome change. Very cool little lizards just about everywhere you look.
"Butterfly World" is right next door, so if the family is not into discgolf, drop them off there, and walk over the first tee for the course.
There are some very nice looking areas on some of these holes. Very large trees, impressive canopy's, and very well maintained overall.
Cons: This course is hot in the Summertime. Because it's so open, there aren't too many places to escape the hot Florida sun. Bring water with you, and probably about 1.5 hours to play, as you will need to rest from time to time.
There is a marshy area, and some pretty thick bushy areas that make it very easy to loose your disc. If you keep things in the fairway however, you should have no worries.
Other Thoughts: Course is in a huge park, and could easily be expanded. I will be back everytime I'm in the area.

Bring lots of water & Bug Spray

1    8/29/2009   9/5/2009
Review By: nicemeup
Pros: Well laid out and very clean course with a lot of opportunities to air it out. Some interesting water holes - even if it did claim my Xcaliber. Good signs and well-maintained tee pads on all holes.
Cons: The last 3 or 4 holes seem to have just been crammed into the available space and not as well thought out as the rest of the course.Not a lot of elevation change between holes, but the area is pretty flat so not much that can be done about it. Also, it's South Florida, so it's ridiculously hot. Bring lots of water. During the summer I wouldn't recommend starting a round between 11:00am and 5:00pm. It's just too hot. Watch out for fire ants, mosquitoes, etc.

Now I know what to expect

2-4    6/17/2009   7/4/2009
Review By: psuchef
Pros: Steady start to build your confidence then a challenging water hole with Tight Fairway on 7 (use a hydro), Wide open Middle holes where you can let it rip, a very nice finish after 15 on the back nine, Very open field between 18 and 1 to practice some great driving.
Cons: Bugs, Bring spray and watch for fire ants, definitely leave your flippy flopys at home. Very hot, not for the pup bring lotsa water, disciplined water holes (mangroves, swamp and a large right side lake), a lot of low lying water with creepy crawlies, wait a couple days after the rain. If you haven't played before be prepared to donate a disc or two to the swamps and lake, it's not worth going after discs with bugs snakes and lizards.
Other Thoughts: A little hard to navigate at first make sure to stay to the right past butterfly world a set of picnic tables and a wide open field will help you find the end of 18 and start of 1. The summers hot, the bugs, ants and swamps are unforgiving. I've played a few times and it's an addictive course to get hooked on, a good mix, expect to get wet in the summer and have fun, ahh Florida.