Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Tradewinds Park Share
Uploaded By: PDXDuck Hole #3 (Taken 6/2009)

Fun Round, Good Mix of Holes

2-4    1/9/2012   1/9/2012
Review By: J Bird
Pros: Good signs, more than one signature hole, great placement of tees and holes (away from paths and roads for the most part); Decent mix of open and tight holes (though more open than not); 18 finishes back at 1 Tee. All-in all good course.
Cons: I could see the first 2 holes getting a bit clogged when there are folks waiting on hole 1; lack of elevation (though I am used to Northeast courses and no elevation is 'par for the course' in Florida).
Other Thoughts: Wonderful layout, great use of that piece of the park - can't wait to play again on my regular visits to Ft Lauderdale. Wavered on giving 3.5, but its closer to a 4 - so there you go, a bit inflated but it'll work.

Fun well balanced course

1    11/19/2011   11/21/2011
Review By: pa000
Pros: The course is well maintained and has a good variety of holes for beginners. Although friendly to beginners many holes are good distance and could tell that even advanced players were challenged on many holes. The main office at the entrance has a free map of the course to help orient players. Some walking/jogging trails overlap with course but not really a problem, just need to play responsibly.
Cons: Some holes get waterlogged after rain and mosquitoes are vicious at a few holes so might want to bring repellent.
Other Thoughts: Very happy I chose this as my first course.

Nice course on a different day

1    11/1/2011   11/1/2011
Review By: tfrank
Pros: Very pretty course. There is a good mix of open fairways and wooded areas. The tees all have maps of the pin positions. On a day that isn't windy it would be great for long arms.
Cons: Some of the layout is a little tight. The pins and tees almost overlap in places. There is also a jog path winding through the course. I bet you hear "4" a lot on a busy day. I would also bring a map because you can usually see more than one pin from the tee and it isn't always obvious.
Other Thoughts: I really picked the wrong day to play. The entire middle of the course including most or all of 8, 9, 10, 11 and 18 was a vast inland sea. This wasn't wet grass but a foot of standing water. Several other holes had +3" of water around the tee or pin. I would call a local before making the drive.

Wild and Wooly Winds

1    7/30/2011   8/7/2011
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Tradewinds DGC is mostly flat, mostly wide open, and VERY windy in my one and only visit. There are holes that play next to the water, but with good drives it should be easy keep your plastic dry on the roomy fairways. The added challenge of playing the long holes in strong winds is the reason I boosted my rating from 2.5 to 3. There is an awesome alternate hole that is not on the scorecard or the course map. It is parallel to #10, and you can see the basket next to the target for #10. 10b. is my favorite hole on the course. It is a straight, low mid range shot through thick twisted vines and cool looking tropical vegetation.

The park is nice and well kept, and the course is pretty well marked and easy to follow. There are tee signs and concrete pads, with short tees on many holes. There are benches and trash cans throughout, and a water fountain after #15. Baskets are in good condition. I played while the local club was holding league play or doubles, but all players were very friendly and allowed me to play through.

Cons: This course is mostly wide open and flat, so the wind is the main challenge. Would be rather hot and sort of boring on a calm day, if there ever are any. There is not much shade at all. Posted at the entrance was a sign warning not to leave valuables in your car, which made me nervous since I was traveling with all of my gear. The extra cars there for league night made me less apprehensive. There are other users at the park, and walking paths near some fairways, so you may have to wait occasionally. Cost to enter was $1.50.
Other Thoughts: Tradewinds is a decent course with some nice shots, but I wouldn't be overly excited to visit again. The oppressive heat and lack of variety make it less than remarkable in my opinion.

Wind, water and lots of letting loose

2-4    12/11/2010   12/12/2010
Review By: bettsjc
Pros: In an area of minimal disc golf choices Tradewinds Park DGC offers as much as any Florida course can. Making alot out of seemingly nothing, the course uses limited obsticles well.

The course is equipped with sufficient concrete tee pads, above average tee signs, depicting map, par, distances from multilple tee pads to multiple basket locations. Mach 3 baskets in very good condition in use, with one basket per hole with various pin placements.

Although tee pads are relatively short for the length of the course the flat ground allows for an easy run up from behind the tee pads.

Water comes into play on a few holes, creating a very nice challange to a very open course. Groups of trees are used very well along the way, with a few baskets either tucked into the trees or right inside tree lines. Wind is also a very challenging factor to the course, which could make it very different on any given day.

Tradewinds Park DGC is in very good working order, all equipment in usable condition. Grass is very well taken care of. Seems as though the locals very much respect their only local course.
Cons: Just a few cons to this course, some which may be nitpicking, while others can't be helped.

Lack of elevation takes away from the challange here. Between this and lack of vegetation it really takes away from the challange. This course forces you to do nothing but chuck it out there and shoot relatively easy upshots for par. This also causes most of the course to feel quite repetitive.

Roads and pedestrian sidewalks come into play quite a bit. Good in the aspect of an OB line created(as far as the driveways), but takes away from the seclusion of the course. As this is a multi-use facility there is a chance of the course being occupied by joggers and such. At least they are easily seen on this open course

Tee pads are a bit slippery when damp, played in the morning and the dew on my shoes caused a few slips on tee-offs. Maybe my fault for not taking a bit off of my walk-up, but just something to be cautious about.
Other Thoughts: Tradewinds Park is a pleasure to play when down in the Broward County area. With the only other choice in Broward being Easterlin Park, they each offer something different, Tradewinds being distance and open, Easterlin being short and somewhat wooded. Big arms will enjoy Tradewinds, especially from the Pro tees.

This is a pay-to-play on the weekends, $1.50 per person, worth the price of admission.

A hole that I will never forget on this course is hole #7. With a fairway on the left, water along the right, and the basket sitting on a peninsula 300ish feet away it takes a gutsy shot off the tee to go for the deuce, or a conservitive drive to go for the easy 3.

Tradewinds is my favorite of the two in Broward, but together offer something completely different. Wish there were more courses around, but I'll take what I can get, Tradewinds is an enjoyable walk in the park.

1    8/10/2010   8/14/2010
Review By: mattdabbs
Pros: There is a great variety on this course due to monthly changing of pin positions. You can tell this course is well taken care of and kept up. This course plays three different ways based on which of the three tees you play on each hole. We played all the longs and this course played ridiculously long. It was one of the most challenging courses I have played from the longs. It had a nice mix of woods, water, open. After reading the other reviews I really didn't understand just how fun and challenging this course would really be. This course demands accuracy, distance, and ability to play the wind on your drives and putting. Nice tees, nice baskets and great use of water. It just needed some water left. It is also a great course for throwing rollers as the grass is cut very short and is very consistent.
Cons: We played from the long tees and with nearly every hole over 400 or 400 with water it got a little repetitive. The wind was ridiculous and made driving and putting a real challenge. This is the course for you if you want to learn how to play the wind because it was constantly windy. Park users can come into play in a few places as well as the parking lot on hole 1. Not many birdies unless you can throw 400+ consistently. Drainage is an issue on some holes.
Other Thoughts: I had no idea how challenging this course was going to be. We played all the long tees and it really brought out its teeth. I played with a friend who is local and he said the wind wasn't even as bad as usually and by general standards it was quite windy. I can't imagine how tough this course would be from the long tees on a really windy day. Come on out and try this course because whatever skill level you are at you can play the tee that will challenge you while keeping it fun.

An Icon of South Florida

5+    7/27/2010   7/27/2010
Review By: Edward Fowler
Pros: Metal signs mark Amateur tees. Concrete pads. Mix of open shots and some with woods and obstacles.
Cons: No marks for Pro pads. (Not all pins even have them). Easy to lose discs in lake or woods. Mostly open area gets overly hot, rain drains slowly leaving puddles.
Other Thoughts: Fun and challenging., Pins move every month to long and short positions. Bring discs you don't mind losing for first few times playing.Typical Florida weather- prepare accordingly.

Really fun course

2-4    6/26/2010   7/21/2010
Review By: KDencker
Pros: *Multiple Pads
*Multiple Pins
*Tee-signs
*Concrete pads
Cons: *Walk paths go through the course
*Metal disc shredding signs are by these walk paths. My poor new comet ended up with 2 chucks taken out because of the "Beware of flying discs" signs.
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed this course. I will go back there next time I am in that area.

I really loved the hole where you need to either go through heavy woods for the short easy way, or around them all for a little longer way, and then over a huge fallen tree, to where the basket is placed. Really cool.

This course it worth the 1.50 it costs to go in. If I was a local I would buy the yearly pass.

One of the best in South Florida

5+    5/12/2010   5/26/2010
Review By: TiVo713
Pros: I love this course. Definitely one for the big arms, its a beautiful park with lots of obstacles and water hazards. Every hole has a unique approach and they constantly change the pins to keep it fresh (most have 3 different positions). This is about as good as it gets down here in South Florida.
Cons: The water is always on the Right! I throw sidearm and my discs always fade right... also bug spray is a must on 4, and 10b... and while in the jungle looking for discs.
Other Thoughts: On major holidays like easter, labor day and memorial day, the course does get clogged by people using the park for BBQing and soccer.

Begginer Player - Begginer Course

1    4/22/2010   4/30/2010
Review By: Ludwig
Pros: Well marked T-Pad signage made it easy even for a beginner like me to figure out each hole although I did have an experienced guide helping me out.

Wide open for a good number of holes with a few shaped shots required.

As a lefty, it was nice that a lot of the holes had options for angles of attack.

Everyone we met on the course was helpful, and friendly. Even those that weren't playing but were enjoying the surrounding park.

Excellent mix of wide open, wooded, and water holes.
Cons: Due to recent rains, there were large bodies of water that wouldn't have normally been there requiring me to go wading in order to fetch my errant discs. Particularly on 16, and 17.

Unfortunately there was construction going on that prevented us from playing 15.
Other Thoughts: Although the water on 6 and 7 isn't necessarily a con, it does make it difficult for beginners.

I'm thrilled to have been introduced to the sport on a course like this and strongly recommend it for anyone else who is just starting out.