Myrtle Beach/Garden City, SC
Tupelo Bay DGC Share
Uploaded By: G Bud Hole #9 (Taken 8/2009)
Hole #9 from behind the basket near tee #1 - discs skip & slide easily on the fairways.

Fun and different

1    6/16/2011   6/17/2011
Review By: uncjibble
Pros: Night disc golf! The main reason we wanted to play here was the ability to play at night. It was also fun playing on a ball golf course especially when one of us landed in the sand trap. Course was nice, and they did about as good of a job as possible with design considering that you have to stay away from the greens and that the course is mostly wide open. Course is wide open which gives you some fun ace chances. Did I mention that you can play at night?
Cons: Pay to play. I wouldnt pay here all of the time but for something fun on vacation it's worth it. Ball golfers are slow and don't let you play through. The pond was drained and smelled kind of nasty. Ball golfers can be rude, one of our shots landed on the next fairway (to be fair though the basket was right on the edge of it so the shot was <30 ft from the basket) and a guy playing that hole yelled at us about playing frisbee around here and told us to take it somewhere else. I informed him at we paid to play and had just as much right as him to be here. He did apologize on the next hole.
Other Thoughts: Some comments have said the course is short, and there are some short holes but there were a few where I had to put some power on my shot. Maybe I'm just not as good at driving. This course is really fun for what it is, a different novelty course, but not one I would consider a true or challenging course. I still had a great time playing and that is why I rated it high. I spoke to the manager when we were paying and he said they were thinking about adding holes to the 18 hole par 4 course which would be awesome!

My Last Resort Course

2-4    5/18/2011   5/23/2011
Review By: Citadelly
Pros: -Very well maintained course!

-Easy to navigate (follow cart path)

-Lights to play at night
Cons: -*Pay to play* $7.00 for 9 holes

-All par 3's with baskets mixed in along side 'real' golf holes

-Hole 3 runs parallel to 17 business

Other Thoughts: I use as a last resort course if Loris & East Bay Park are not an option

1    3/19/2011   3/27/2011
Review By: medic5888
Pros: Very well maintained
Cons: Short, Short, Short.
Extremely busy during the day.
Ball golfers out in the way due to it being on a par 3 course.
No challenging holes at all.
Pay to Play
Other Thoughts: To be a place as big as the myrlte beach area this is all they have to offer so I had to play. I will not talk bad about any place, but I can say I did not enjoy it. I had to drive from beside the wooden tee pads made for ball golf.

i take birdies they take wallet

5+    8/11/2010   8/11/2010
Review By: oki40484
Pros: on a ball golf course, ball golfers will let you play through just so they can see whats up. myrtle beach nuff said

night golf here no problem, its brightly lit when open
Cons: 7$ for 9 holes 11$ for 18 and they have some mouthy younguns there enforcing.
bout got ran over on hwy 17 getting a disc that rolled out into road.
Other Thoughts: every ball golf course should add this, had to loan disc out while i was there, course had me lookin pro against the ball golfers

Myrtle Beach needs more courses

2-4    7/6/2010   7/29/2010
Review By: Bikinimower
Pros: Very Very well Maintained
It shares land with a Par 3 Golf course so it's well taken care of and visually nice
I almost always run into a fellow vacationing Disc Golfer. I've met some cool people from a lot of different areas of the country out there.
Cons: Pay to Play
Fairly short
Zero Changes in Elevation
No Variety, every hole is open shot about 220-300 feet
Not really any challenging holes
Crowded, mostly with ball golfers
Go early in the morning or in the evening or else it can be very hot.
Distances posted in yards! WTF! I go on vacation to get away from doing number conversions, I had to bring along my abacus just so I could decide what disc I need to use! (all kidding aside, some simple 3rd grade math will tell you the distance in feet)

Other Thoughts: This is the perfect Deuce or Die course. The holes aren't particularly long but they're nice. Anyone with any amount of skill should be getting no more than 3's on every hole. There are no major obstacles, dog legs, water hazards or large hills to stand in you way

It's normally pretty busy and the only way to avoid the crowds is to play in the afternoon, but then more often than not your playing in intense heat.

If your on vacation with the family and you get the itch, then this is pretty much your only option. It's not a bad one by any means but I really wish They would put more courses down there, I think they would be successful. I keep hearing rumors that more are coming.

Great for when your on Vacation, but I wouldn't suggest it for a road trip

Introductory Hook!

2-4    3/27/2010   3/31/2010
Review By: jdgdreamer
Pros: Easy to find catchers and layout was wonderful!

I was 'sharing' my discs with a first-timer and he loved it! I may have hooked another person on this game...I did let him know that most courses are not THIS easy.

Most shots were straightforward with a little curve required. With the wind, even getting catcher-distance was tough for accuracy...but GREAT wind practice!

This is a VERY quick course to play (it took about 35-45 minutes for each 9-holes)

Great course to practice your mid-range and lengthen your putter distances.
Cons: Leave your distance drivers at home...I tried one thinking with the wind it might play longer, nope, threw straight through and across another hole!

The ball golfers can be a problem if they can't play well (it is a par 3 course, I counted 7's and 8's on the pair in front of us), but since the course was slow...we re-threw a couple of holes for practice! The ball golfers ended up watching out for discs as much as we watched out for balls, so it felt somewhat good to not just watch-out (ha-ha)
Other Thoughts: I think this course would be a wonderful introduction to the game and would begin to build a solid player if this were the only course they played...their only weakness would be the distance throws. Isn't it Drive for Show, Putt for Dough anyways?

Fun for beginners

2-4    6/3/2009   9/16/2009
Review By: Olorin
This review was updated on 9/19/2009
Pros: Course Level = Red (most suited for Juniors and Intermediate players rated 825-875)
*This is a good course for children and beginners since it's short and quite wide open. It would be hard for even the newest player to lose a disc here.
*There's novelty playing on beautiful manicured grass at an Executive golf course. The terrain also has some scattered palms and deciduous trees. A small pond comes into play a little bit on hole 8.
*The course is super easy to navigate with signs, and cart paths to the next hole.
*There are lights for night play (but that's when the traditional golfers come out too, so it's more crowded .)
Cons: -There are too many straight and open holes.
-The holes are short. There's not much length variety; most are in the 180-290 ft range. (3 of 180-190/ 5 of 200-290/ 1 of 300 ft.)
-It's mostly flat with the greatest elevation change only 4 ft. Some baskets are on mounds.
-The hole lengths aren't listed any where, so you have to estimate from the traditional golf hole yardages.
Other Thoughts: *Pay-to-play: $7 for 9 holes or $10 for 18 holes
*For experienced players this is the quintessential "deuce or die" course. I expect that the course record is -9 or lower. It wasn't that interesting to me because it was too short and too open. Anyone who can throw 300 ft or more will be quickly bored.
*If you want to introduce the family to the game, this is a good place (except for the greens fees). Or if you're already in Myrtle Beach on vacation then this is your only option to satisfy your craving to throw discs into baskets. But after you've played it once there's not much reason to go back again, and I certainly wouldn't make a trip just to go there.

NOTE: Look in the "Links/Files" section for my files with Hole-by-hole evaluations, and a more detailed Overall review. You can also read more of my reviews and rating notes at the Yahoo Group, DG Course Reviews

Tourist Disc Golf

5+    9/27/2011   9/12/2009
Review By: RussMB
This review was updated on 5/12/2012
Pros: -Located on a very nice and well manicured lighted Par 3 ball golf course.
-Great place for a beginner or an intermediate to play.
-It's lighted and makes for great night play.
-During the off season, course can be empty at night.
-Innova DISCatcher baskets
-There is a water hazard.
-Very easy to navigate, Score Cards available in the Clubhouse.
-The length can make challenging par 3's for the beginner or casual player.
If you want to add a level of difficulty, make the putting greens OB.
-Rolling terrain, which can affect your placement. Discs can roll down the hill, or land where there is a mound in between you and the basket.
-Located near the beach, and it's centrally located in the south strand.
-Restrooms in the club house, and Garbage cans at each Tee.
-Clubhouse sells food, sodas, and beer.
-There is a water jug stand, with cups near the 4th tee.

TIP: If you do not wish to play the water hole, and you are playing 2 rounds, just loop around and play 5 and 6,or 6 and 7, again. Just skipping 8 and go straight to 9. That way you'll get 18, and you can skip the water hole. It helps if the course isn't busy.
Cons: -This is not a professional course, it's more of a novelty rec course.
-One drawback is that this is where people that don't normally play ball golf come to play. If you get stuck behind them, you could be waiting a while. I've been known to skip around the holes if I have to wait to long.
-Summertime, this place can be packed with ball golfers.
-There are no tee boxes, you have to guess-timate by the dirt patches next the BG teeboxes.
-It costs 7$ for 9 holes 10$ for 18.*

*I understand that it costs money to run this course, and I'm not opposed to paying to play.
The cost used to be 5$ for 9 and 7$ for 18, which was a little more reasonable. I would drop 5 bucks for a quick round. It would be nice if 10$ was for an all day play.
Other Thoughts: Tupelo Bay hosts a huge PDGA tournament in December. They bring in extra baskets and place them along their executive BG course. This course, however, is located on the Par 3 pitch and putt course. It's not a bad course, just don't expect a lot of challenges. Here is my suggestion for enjoying Tupelo Bay. Wait until it's dark, and play the course under the lights. This is a course you play for fun, not the challenge. If you are at the beach, and looking to play a round of Disc Golf, check out Tupelo Bay.

FYI: There is also a miniature golf course at the entrance to Tupelo Bay. There is also a full 18 hole Executive Ball Golf course here as well. The Ball Golf course is one of more popular courses in the area.

For your GPS:
Tupelo Bay Golf Center
1800 Business 17 South
Garden City, SC 29576

DG Putt-Putt in Myrtle Beach

2-4    8/19/2009   8/21/2009
Review By: G Bud
Pros: -Novelty Course - DG on a ball golf course
-Lights for Night play (Cool!!)
-Discatcher Baskets
-Beautifully well maintained course (It's on a par 3 BG course for Pete's sake!)
-Good course for beginners or short play work.
-Mostly open fairway - Some trees and I found a couple of them.
-Clubhouse: Restrooms, food, disc rentals ($7 to play)
-Easy to find: Right on Bus. 17 - You can see the course from the street.
Cons: -Fair use of terrain - Course could easily be made more challenging.
-No Tee Pads - Tees are not marked - Look for a worn patch next to BG Tee.
-Disc don't stick - Because of it being a BG course and very well groomed; disc skip, slide and roll rather then just stop.
-You share the course with ball golfers so keep an eye out for the stray Golf ball.
Other Thoughts: There seems to be a putt-putt miniature golf course on every corner in Myrtle Beach. I would sort of compare this to a putt-putt course for disc without the pirates or windmills. I think it is a novelty to be able to say you played DG on a BG course and for that reason it is probably worth playing a round or two. Not all the baskets are to the left of the green. 3, 5, 7 & 8 are to the right and most baskets sit before the green. 6 was the only one pin high. Hole 1 can't be seen from the "tee" as it is tucked into the trees on the left. I played the cart path OB to add a bit more of a challenge and took a stroke or two because of it.
The evening we were there we basically had the course to ourselves. We passed by it quite a few times before playing and found that mid-day through early evening was the best time the course didn't seem crowded with ball golfers. I guess everybody is at the beach or it is just too hot for them. But once the lights come on forget it, the place is packed with ball golfers.
Having never been on a BG course, I was excited to be at Tupelo Bay playing on well manicured fairways. As I played, I wondered who designed the course as I felt that the grounds and baskets placement could have been better thought out and designed. After my rounds I went in and asked the clubhouse dude if he knew if a disc golfer designed the course or any info he had on the course. He said he didn't know much except it was there but he did agree with me that the baskets were before the greens to keep the disc golfers off the greens. There was a family out playing a round of DG as we got started (The Myrtle Beach Resort takes patrons there once a week as a resort activity) and if this course can help turn on some new players I say BRAVO!! So if you find yourself on the Grand Strand and need to scratch that DG itch, Tupelo Bay is well worth the time and money. FORE!!!!

5+    8/17/2009   8/17/2009
Review By: tymeframe
This review was updated on 8/22/2010
Pros: It's the only course in the area. It's a nice course, with nice baskets. Makes use of what slight elevation there is (some baskets are on small hills). There's also a decent little mix of hyzer and anhyzer shots. Water comes into play on hole 8, in which you throw over a small creek, missing a short tree, and not letting your disc hyzer out too much because there's another creek on the far left side of the fairway. (that's my favorite hole there)

This is definitely a place to go to work on your short open shots.

It's also lit for night play which can be fun.
Cons: Well, it's short. There are a lot of deuces on this one, even on the longer holes.
Other Thoughts: You might get asked, at least once... "Why are you throwing frisbees on a golf course?" If you're familiar with people asking you what the heck you're doing while you're know the drill.

It gets breezy because it's pretty close to the beach, which can add a bit more challenge.

Once a year, in December, the Tupelo Bay Open is held here. This is a 27 hole format. 18 additional baskets are set up throughout the full ball golf course. There are a lot of long shots with water and tons of OB (including bunkers and greens). The 2009 World's champ Avery Jenkins won this event in 2008.