Mishawaka, IN
George Wilson Park Share

< Prev 1 2 3
Solid up and down course!

1    6/13/2014   6/13/2014
Review By: ajbova
Pros: This is a great intermediate level course that may be too hard for beginners. Advanced players will still enjoy the course. It is challenging in it's own way but can be easy to save par.

Baskets - 17 very grippy Mach 3 baskets and 1 Innova Discatcher (hole 3). Baskets catch great. There is also a practice basket before hole 1 that is a Discatcher.

Tees - 1 long and narrow concrete tee per hole. I believe they were 3 or 4 by 10 feet long. Always pointed somewhat towards the basket.

Signs - When there were signs, they included distance, par, and picture (map) of the hole. (See cons). There are signs listing areas that are out of bounds, a sign telling the rules of disc golf, and a sign pointing you towards the front 9. A course map is available at the front office (where you pay) that is a part of the score card. I would recommend it.

Variety - Distances varied from 200 to 600 feet. Holes 3-7 are wooded holes with tight fairways. The wooded holes all had elevation changes. Course has major elevation changes (see below). There were many blind shots due to either woods or elevation (holes 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 12, 13). Holes in the open had elevation as the main obstacle or a few mature trees.

Elevation - There are holes going slightly uphill, greatly uphill, running along sides of hills, rolling hills, valleys, and downhill bombs. No hole is completely flat. Hills galore! Holes 10 and 11 are the flattest holes and there are a few mature trees as obstacles. The elevation provides a nice view of the area. You could see the golden some at Notre Dame from tee for hole 9.

Very easy to navigate (especially if you have the course map). Tees are near basket or path taking you there (see cons).

Trash cans near tees for holes 1, 7, 10, 14, 15, 16, and 18 (see cons).

Benches near tees for holes 1, 5, 7, 10, and 17. Hole 17 had an awesome structure at the top of the hill that had benches and tables. Nice view too!

Restrooms, a playground, and a pro shop on site.

Wind is a major factor at this course. It adds to the challenge.

Holes 1 & 9 border eaxh other with a fence in between. There is a gate midway down in case you throw it over fence. Definitely a plus.

Threw through a power lines tower on hole 8.

The park is primarily a disc golf park. Some benches and a playground but you won't have to wait due to other park users.
Cons: Signs need replaced. Holes 14, 15, and 18 do not have tee signs (but you can see the basket). Half of the signs that are remaining are faded or unreadable due to writing on them with sharpies. New signs would greatly improve the look of this course.

This course needs more trash cans. If the hole did not have a trash can, there was a ton of trash near the tees for the holes. Some holes had trash in the fairway.

Only 1 tee per hole. If this course wants to take it to the next level, it needs alternate concrete tees for each hole. It would make it more playable for different levels of players. Tees could be same difficulty with a different angle, longer, or shorter (depending on hole).

Poison ivy in the rough for several holes. Holes 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 13, 14, 15, and 16 had poison ivy. Be careful and bring sanitizer! I noticed it while walking.

Some tees had sand on them which was luck and could be dangerous.

Some tees were close to the precious basket; tee 3 basket 2, tee 4 & 9 basket 8. Tee 18 basket 17. Could be dangerous if busy.
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed this course. It was $2 to play. By the time I was done I forgot that I played. It was worth it. I'm from Indianapolis so this course is a journey for me. I was not disappointed. More elevation than any Indy area course.

It appears the course has changed it's layout. There were crumbles tees near holes 5, 15, and 16 pointing in a different direction than that hole.

I wanted to rate this course a 4. Trash and lack of readable signs lost it points. If it had 2 concrete tees per hole, new signs, more trash cans, and a few more benches, this course would easily be a 4 out of 5, maybe even higher.

I will definitely be back if I'm in the area. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a challenge that includes wooded holes and major elevation change. It may be too frustrating for beginners but I feel like anyone would enjoy this course.

Good

1    9/20/2013   4/4/2014
Review By: Indiana574
Pros: Some real high elevated shots nice wooded area part of the course bathrooms
Cons: Trash all over broken glass some bad erosion
Other Thoughts: The first hole is kinda weird with the fence right next to you but you'll learn to love it haha

1    12/25/2012   2/17/2013
Review By: donny vomit
Pros: Nice decent mix of woods , big hills and a few open shots. Soaring downhill shots on 9 and 18, very fun watching a disc go that far downhill. I liked 4 and 7.
Cons: Not many , the tee pad on 7 to me is very dangerous . It slopes down and drops off at the end couple feet. Level would be good . I like elevated tees . 10 to 14 pretty boring but it is what it is.
Other Thoughts: Played the course with my brother on Xmas day so I avoided paying to park and play. Had a good time . This is a sledding hill in the winter so 10 thru 12 baskets were gone. Enjoyed nice scenic hills with a funny little chateu thing on top of hill by 18 tee. Want to play again when i come back in the spring .

Very Nice

1    7/4/2011   10/11/2012
Review By: chainbang
Pros: Lots of variaion in holes. Lots of terrain variation. Some pretty drastic elevation changes on a few holes.
Cons: A couple of places to get really lost. Back 9 is a little bland.
Other Thoughts: Can't wait to play here again!

George Wilson Park

5+    7/17/2012   7/19/2012
Review By: SooperBod
Pros: Lots of hills. Different styles (front nine in and along the woods, back nine in the open with lots of hills). Cheap only $2.
Cons: Lots of empty bottles and other trash usually on the course. The #3 hole has been missing for a while. This whole was missing a year or two ago also. Damaged baskets at the bottom of holes.
Other Thoughts: When the course is clean (not often) and all the holes are there I love playing this course.

RESPECT?!? You want RESPECT?!?

5+    7/15/2012   7/15/2012
Review By: TorboniousD
This review was updated on 7/25/2012
Pros: $2 to play. Front 9 has interesting and challenging elevation use as well as risk/reward affected by vegetation and wind. Most other players and locals are agreeable and unobtrusive with a FEW EXCEPTIONS. Meager Pro shop with small variety of Innova discs. Vary rare back-ups depending on season, time of day and hole (SEE "CONS"). Bathrooms were clean and open, (also time of day/seasonally driven) and usually have toilet paper but no hand towels. Who washes their hands anyway?! Also color maps and scorecards AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST. Staff on hand is usually friendly but unable to answer most questions beyond pricing.
Cons: Hole #3 has been stolen, AGAIN. (UPDATE 7-24-12: Basket has been replaced with NEW Innova Discatcher Pro. Which begs to question, "How long with this one last, hmm?") Holes #6 and #8 are broken badly with a Sanford & Son fix. #13 has been bent badly in an attempt to break, as if "IF I can't enjoy this, NO ONE WILL!!!" The tee signs are a great place to record "aces" and get tetanus. (They were wrong to begin with.) TRASH. EVERYWHERE. How can a place have so many trashcans everywhere and have SO MUCH TRASH?!? Beer cans and bottles in the baskets, REALLY?!? Broken glass around and ON THE PADS, REALLY?!? They have an inch of paint on everything and still the kids got something to say. The city took a budget of $0 and reduced it to a negative to support other city projects, as well as allowing AEP to clear all the schule on the back 9 around the electrical towers which took it from mediocre to scorched earth. Uninteresting and only challenging by length. (There are farm fields close by that offer the same thrill.) Also need to mention the barbeque happening at "Hooter Hill" (#7), NOT JOKING. Habachi, dogs off the leash and at least 15 individuals at varying degrees of intoxication. What the hell is going on here?! Couldn't you do this at your trailer?!
Other Thoughts: No group, club, school, or organization openly claims this course. (Which is strange since they painted everything the local high school's colors...) I know, I know, if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem. I used to bring lawn debris bags out there every time I played, but it was like draining the ocean with a bucket. I grew up down the street and was there when this course hosted champions, and in the past 4+ years have watched it go from a 3.5-3.0 to a 0.5 and until the d.g. community as a whole takes a more aggressive approach to policing this course, because the city will certainly NOT, it will only become worse. If you're coming to the area just to play this course, save the gas money. If it's on a list, feel free to stop by and wipe your sphincter with it, I know the locals do. Embarrassing.

Rolling hills and rolling discs

1    5/20/2012   6/2/2012
Review By: b-mart
Pros: The biggest pro at George Wilson is the elevation change. Putting a course on a piece of property that also has a sledding hill is nothing short of brilliant in this very flat area of the country. This elevation is used creatively as well. Most shots that can be imagined are available here. You have your epic downhill bombs like 9 and 18, your narrow fairways with dangerous rollaway potential like 8 and 17, uphill shots like 13, and pins on slanted greens like 15. When you add in unpredictable wind conditions you get a course that will never play the same twice. I absolutely hate courses that largely play around open fields, but this is one that I will return to and would recommend because the open field here isn't flat. You only get three open/easy shots in the flat during your round.

The amenities available here are a plus as well. Although I didn't actually see the inside of the bathrooms, the very fact that they exist is a positive. Add in a picnic table and a practice basket, and you have a course that did it right.

The cement teepads are long and grippy, and the front nine had ample signage. I didn't see any guidance to the next pad, but George Wilson flows pretty well, so very little is needed.

There are a lot of interesting shots here, including some near obstacles like the electrical towers and the "teepee" that doubles as a sledding shelter. Most of the trees and brush in the back nine come into play as well, and the front nine plays into and around a wooded area that keeps things from getting repetetive.

The view! I grew up in Indiana, and I had no idea that it could have a view. Granted, I prefer to see lakes and mountains, but George Wilson is still a pretty course.
Cons: The biggest con to me was probably the cost. I don't mind paying to play a course. It keeps the rabble out and allows us elite golfers in fancy pants and spiked shoes to drink mai tais and thumb our noses at the poor commoners who don't have $2 to spare. But to be charged an extra $1 just because you had to drive from a different county is asinine. They'll take you at your word if you say you live there, but still. I don't understand the need to penalize players for coming from farther away. Courses in this area are pretty spaced out and every one I've seen has plenty to offer, so if I'm willing to spend more on gas to get here I don't think I should also have to pay more to play. I also feel that any course that is pay to play should use the money wisely. The upkeep of the grounds was great, but a lot of the baskets had seen better days (hole eight being in the worst shape), and most of the back nine had no signage whatsoever. I'm guessing the lack of signage was due to the fact that the baskets back there are taken down for sledding season, but still. Signs are cheap, and people are giving you money to play. Use it for something more than just gas.

Biggest con number two: Par. Really? I know that I can play it at pro par, but I like to play courses at the par that they set. Course par should never be a gimme. The par on hole 15 was just stupid. Anyone who fails to eagle that hole had better be a righty throwing left handed, crippled, or throwing the wrong way on their initial drive. Holes 5, 9, and 16-18 are set pretty high as well. Every hole should be a par three. I'll give some grace and call holes 9 and 18 par 4s due to distance (even though they're downhill), but other than that? Come on. I noticed this problem on a few holes at Ox Bow too, and I'm really at a loss about it. Michigan is supposed to be a hotbed of disc golf, and it's just a few miles away. I hear that a lot of pros play in this area too. So why on earth are pro par and course par so drastically different?

Now that I'm done ranting about what really bothered me, I'll throw out a few less maddening cons:

The practice basket is hidden behind the bathrooms, so you won't see it until you finish hole nine.

Most of the holes with obstacles or defined fairways are lefty friendly. You can make up for it by throwing your preferred shots out in the field, but I at least have to point this out. All holes with brush or trees helping to shape your shot seem to recommend a right turning shot, with the exception of a few that offer options.

As I previously stated, the course flows pretty well, but navigation would have still been confusing at some points if I hadn't been playing with course regulars. At least put some tape on the baskets.
Other Thoughts: Despite the detailed list of cons I just threw out, I would still recommend this course to anyone passing through the area or living here. I'll leave it up to your conscience whether you lie about living nearby in order to save a dollar though. If you're just passing through I would say to play Rum Village first, but that's just a matter of personal preference because I like more technical courses. George Wilson is a really fun round though that will require you to be creative at times and will never play the same way twice. I will definitely be stopping in again the next time I'm in Indiana.

Good DG, Trashy Park

5+    5/26/2012   5/29/2012
Review By: cmchavis
Pros: Really like this park. They were charging to get in $2/player. A lot of families on the course and there were 2 groups of 10 playing, but the course didn't feel crowded. Only saw 3-4 people out of ~50-60 people carrying bags - mainly 1 disc throwers.

I believe they sell some discs in the 'pro shop'

Really like that you start out short. Hole 1 with the fence right along the fairway is a little unnerving, but slowly the course builds into the woods and back out till you get to the top of the hill and have a long hole to open up the open part of the course.

Hole 9 is back to the gate and is a 490' downhill slope.
Hole 18 is a 600' downhill that ends at the gate also. The best part is that there are picnic tables at the gate and restroom building that you can sit and watch people throw on the long holes.

First part of the course has variety with woods and open, second part of course is all open with longer holes interspersed with short holes.

Fun overall, probably best course in area. Not real challenging, better to use 54 as par rather than posted for a little more challenge.
Cons: Trash everywhere, completely filthy park. Not the worse I have seen, but terrible. Wooded holes are showing bad signs of erosion.

Other Thoughts: A lot of newbie people out when we went this last time. Been out there probably 10 times so far, always been trashy. Used to pick up trash and bag it, don't try anymore. First time I have been charged to play.

7 out of the 10 times I have gone we've been one of 2-4 groups on the course.

Best Course in South Bend/Mishwaka area

5+    3/16/2012   4/1/2012
Review By: Nico28
Pros: This is probably the best course in the SB/Mish area, I have not yet played the one in Niles.
As of right now the course if free to play, I havent payed to get into this place in at least two years.
Good mix of wooded and open holes.
people here are nice and there is hardly ever a wait to play.
Cons: Signs need to be replaced.
Park could be cleaned up a little.
Other Thoughts: This park is much better than Rum Village, it is some what well kept and you don't have to worry about seeing two dudes having butt sex in their car like at Rum Village.
I have also heard talks of them moving some of the pins around too.

Great use of Hills Needs TLS

1    3/24/2012   3/24/2012
Review By: jd.mackiewicz
Pros: Great use of the hills, this is a rarity of the area. The park is mostly used for Disc Golf, and is fairly busy. A few wooded holes, and few long holes. I think this is the funnest course in the area.
Cons: Park had a lot of trash in it, and the T signs are in bad shape.
Other Thoughts: Great view of South Bend and Mishawaka