Edmond, OK
Tye F. Cunningham DGC Share
Uploaded By: MakeYourSelf101 Hole #1 (Taken 5/2013)
Hole #1 Approach

< Prev 1 2 3
Fair Course

1    3/27/2014   3/27/2014
Review By: Ajampalm
Pros: Some interesting shots given the terrain in the area.
Cons: Signage was basically useless, and for most holes had to walk the entire hole to see where to drive. Some lanes seemed poorly conceived, even though most of the holes are birdie opportunities for advanced level players.
Other Thoughts: This course provides a change of pace for the area, but lacks the flow and design to warrant a 3 disc rating. Has the feel of being designed by a recreational level player or one who has not played courses with better defined lanes and use of trees/terrain. Happy to play it once, but was unimpressed, and given I'm from Minnesota will likely not play the next time I'm down visiting.

Could be great

1    11/29/2013   12/2/2013
Review By: homeskule87
Pros:
No shot felt the same and there was a good mix of holes that went right and left.
Holes like 9? Demanded a perfect drive or you will take a bogey and forced me to put my "beefy driver" away and throw a disc I knew I could control.
Benches galore! (Possibly every hole?)
I was glad to not see the pond in play .
The tees were very grippy.
Plenty of holes that required distance and accuracy.

Cons: Hole #2 is the hardest line choice I've ever seen in the 20+ courses I've played. (The fairway is a cluster of trees maybe 2 feet apart?)
Not having a map or signs got frustrating without having anybody who'd played in the group as I usually ran around looking for the basket and then running back to the tee.
If there is no pictured sign I enjoy seeing distance listed and it was not.
The layout was a bit confusing and a painted bar on the basket for one last reminder pointing to the next tee would've helped (there were signs on the fairway but I can't remember by the time I finish a hole) I felt like there was a lack of birdie able holes which can make less experienced players throw their arms up and want to quit.
Other Thoughts: A lot of previous reviews said this was a short course and apparently that was changed before I played. I would say most of the holes were 300-500ft in distance and half of those are blind shots.

fun course, bring a map!

1    7/28/2013   10/30/2013
Review By: dreadlock86
Pros: -nice mix of wooded and semi-open holes
-makes great use of the natural terrain
-mostly medium to shorter length holes but plenty of obstacles to work around. fun course for a beginner or intermediate level player.
-water comes into play on a couple of holes: pond on 3, creek on 9
-mostly nice concrete tees
-signs with hole number but no distances or map
-alternate pin locations
-baskets have two spokes painted toward next pad
-clean park
Cons: -navigation is very tricky if you're unfamiliar with the course
-signs leave much to be desired, especially with the number of blind baskets
-construction currently has the course in a state of flux
Other Thoughts: I thought this course was really fun to play and that it is rewarding for beginners, intermediate or advanced level players. The layout flows through the natural lanes between large patches of evergreens and thick rough. The holes range from mostly open to fairly tight but the majority of them are semi-open with numerous obstacles and well-defined fairways. Most of the fairways are pretty straight but many have the basket tucked to the right or the left at the end of a corridor.

The navigation is very difficult if you don't know the course well. The painted spokes on the baskets are a great help but it is still difficult to find your way around the course. Better signs would go a long way and an overview map at the beginning of the course would be excellent. Once you've found your way around, the layout flows pretty well despite some odd crossovers and direction changes. This seems to be a common feature of OKC courses: the layouts are unintuitive and confusing but make good use of the land and flow well once you know your way around the course.

I played here with two beginners and they had a great time as did I. The course is challenging enough to be rewarding but friendly and accessible enough to be enjoyed by all levels. It is great that there are multiple pin locations but it makes me wish even more that there were better signs with distances. The long pad on hole 3 is a cool touch.

Construction has things a little screwy. I took the advice others have left and parked on the south end and started on hole 3. That worked well.

**Like this review? Hate it? Message me and let me know why! I want to make them better!**

A Little North, But Worth the Drive

1    4/9/2013   4/11/2013
Review By: rd.bittle
Pros: Good Concrete Tees (except 2)
Good Baskets
Multiple Pin Placements
Tee Signs with hole number
Next Tee Directional Signs
Plenty of Benches
A Few Trashcans
Plenty of Parking (during construction, park south of Senior Center and start @ 3)
Well Kept
Very little trash

Nice defined Fairways (except 2, 18)
Great Risk/Reward
Good Variety
Some elevation change (subtle, sneaks up on you)
Some short/some long
Left/straight/right
Line Shaping required on most holes (awesome)
Mix of Open and Technical
Shorter Holes had forced Lines (for the most part)
Longer Holes had room to work your disc
Enough underbrush to punish a bad shot without making it just too tough
This Course flowed very Well even with the construction making You start at 3. Navigation wasn't too difficult even with out the two guys who showed me around.
Friendly Locals
Lots of fun
Cons: Take a map for your first time there. Not only to get around but to find the starting place (#1 or 3)
Tee Signs need more info than Hole #
#2 Needs a Tee Pad and maybe a couple of trees removed from the fairway (no big deal)
#18's Tee Pad is cracked and some small trees block all approach angles (no big deal)
The cleared brush and trees to the right of 9's fairway opens up the danger of throwing into a busy street, especially if the wind is from the South.
#10 has a small chance of a rollaway ending up in another very busy street.
Could use a few more trashcans but the ones present are emptied often enough that there isn't a trash problem.
I wish there was more elevation change, but we are in central OK. Only so much to work with.
Other Thoughts: This course is definitely worth a drive if you haven't played it. Also worth hitting if you are in the City and want a change of pace. One of the cleanest courses in the Metro Area. (At least when I went). I will be back, I know I can improve my score by 7-8 strokes and its bugging me.

Thanks to the locals I met while there so I didn't have to consult a map to find my way around. Thanks Rusty and Eddie.

My "Disc Rating" is weighted heavily toward "Fun Factor," which this course has plenty of. Then I bump it one direction based on amenities/safety.

PM Me and let me know how my reviews can be more "helpful."

As the construction continues and the improvements are worked on, I will update my review when I get back up here. PM me if something is irrelevalt and that will give me the excuse to play it again.

Course in Transition

5+    3/29/2013   3/30/2013
Review By: MiketheGoalie
Pros: This popular course in Edmond (northern suburb of OKC) features a variety of holes that will challenge line-shaping and control for even experienced golfers yet isn't as overwhelming (as say Griffin) for beginners. Amenities include concrete tees (except for the new Hole 2) that are intentially roughened for good grip (though I've never played in the rain so not sure how effective it really is), guidance signage to get you to the next hole, multiple pin locations that are frequently rotated, a good balance of lefty/righty holes, great use of elevation and existing flora, and a definite fun-factor. Benches are scattered throughout the course as are the occasional garbage can. In the spring and summer months, the high grass in the roughs and the thick underbrush can swallow many a disc. The thick spruce and pine lining several of the tunnel holes also have an appetite for plastic which forces critical thinking skills and a good understanding of things like splinters, scrapes, and their relative value compared to plastic.

The recent changes to the park have simplified two of the existing holes (9 & 10) but the two newly relocated 1st and 2nd holes have more than replaced the challenge level of those that were cleared out. This shows a level of consideration and design intent that is rare in most Metro OKC courses.
Cons: Signage is extremely basic (hole #), course crosses over itself and comes within horrific grip-lock distance of an extremely busy walking/biking/running trail on two holes. The on-going construction has forced the relocation of the first two holes and the course sign/map was nowhere to be found. The practice basket has disappeared as well. These last two may be temporary until the construction is finished so I'll update this review once it becomes apparent which way those issues shake out.

I wasn't a fan of the first hole on the old layout and the jury is still out on the new opening hole. I loved the old Hole 2 and it has been squashed into oblivion due to the revised layout and replaced with an extremely restrictive wooded hole. Basically, both holes have been forced deeper into the woods due to the new building. Hole two appears to still be a work in progress as far as a tee box, signage and some clearing. The tweak to 18 (removing any doubt of it being lefty friendly by moving the pin south into the woods) is also a necessity due to what appears to be a new road to the north. Not sure if the changes are enough to prevent it from being an issue in the future.
Other Thoughts: One of my favorite courses in the metro. Still worth playing even with the confusion and difficulty of the construction and the travel time from most of the metro area. This course used to feature one of the best course maps/signs in the metro but only time will tell if it comes back. However, this course STILL features one of the best "flows" within the metro. The on-going construction to the north of the Senior Center has cause the relocation of the first two holes. A tight, lefty-friendly 1 and somewhat-signature blind 2 have been replaced with a long wooded tunnel for 1 and deceptively-protected, heavily-wooded (may still be a work in progress) Hole 2. The second hole now feels pretty similar to an unholy union of a couple of other holes on the course. The pavilion (and associated parking) indicated in the posted (on this site) course map exist, but are not really relative to the course any more. This may be temporary due to construction as well. It also appears that a new road to the new building under construction will run parallel to the modified 18th. The trees/brush on the side of two of the other holes (9 & 10) have also found their way to the wood-chipper which simplifies both of those holes for righties. Much more room to move, especially on the short pin placements but busy Covell and Santa Fe Roads are more "in play."

Despite the recent changes and the lack of brush (not quite spring yet), it is still a frequent "Hot Spot" for DG in the OKC area. This is a well-designed course and it's maintained for the most part. With the on-going construction, I recommend parking south of the Senior Center and walking in past the pond to hole 3 to start the round. I'm going to give the course the benefit of the doubt as it's still in transition. I think I like where I see this going...

Hidden Gem

1    9/29/2012   10/1/2012
Review By: Davidelwood
Pros: The holes were very well laid out, most had signs pointing in the direction of the next tee box. A good mix of short and long holes, left and right as well.
Cons: More signs declaring hole length, more signs declaring where the next tee box is, would be helpful. Couldn't find hole one due to the construction but did find hole 2 and teed off from grass near the constuction site. After playing thru 18 and then finding hole 1, realized you come out of the woods behind the basket for hole 2, could be dangerous.
Other Thoughts: More signage by the parking lot to direct everyone to the course, if I didn't have the map I probably would have never found it. If in Edmond I would definately play this one again.

Favorite Local Course

5+    5/18/2012   6/1/2012
Review By: EDMONDOKDGER
Pros: Amazing course designed by a young man who passed away before it was even finished. I met his parents and they are very supportive of the disc golf community.

This course has a great mix of shots. It will test your skills in distance and accuracy. There are two pin positions for each hole and they are changed in many different configurations throughout the year. The course is fairly well maintained and there is rarely anybody there. Somedays, I feel like I have the whole course to myself. Some of the other courses nearby are saturated with herds of golfers that expect you to wait behind them. Tye is usually wide open.
Cons: TREES!!!!! Not really a con unless you throw into one. The evergreens will eat your discs alive.

Also, they are building a new sports complex that interferes with hole 1 and 18. 1 is actually gone for the time being and 18 has been created with a practice basket in the woods. I heard the holes would be redesigned to fit in the same area and not interfere with construction.
Other Thoughts: Must play if you come to OKC or Edmond area.

Rough

1    5/5/2012   5/7/2012
Review By: impulse6791
Pros: -Technical
-Good baskets
-Requires you to throw several different shots
-Decent upkeep
Cons: -On-going Construction will hamper the drive in as well as some of the holes (3, 10)
-The rough is very rough
-Tee signs are not in the best shape
-course has a jogging and bike track which is a blind area on one of the holes if you have any grip lock so be careful you might hit someone.
-The Locals
Other Thoughts: I recently played this course with a group of five. Although we are not the most experienced group we are not beginners. It took us three hours to play through this course. we had to stop and look for discs numerous times even though they were not thrown very far into the rough. Lost a disc on hole 8 (Neon Yellow Star Orc if you find it please return it). By far what made this course a three star is the locals. They do not understand the rules of the game (got thrown on six of the holes by different people), and they have no consideration for anyone but themselves. I recommend this course but play early in the mornings before high schoolers are up or the mid life crises guys are off work. Again very technical course, forces you to expand your shots, and requires you to watch your disc!

I enjoyed it!

1    4/3/2012   4/24/2012
Review By: dlopez916
Pros: The course was pretty nice. It was secluded from the rest of the park and off by itself which is nice, cause you wont have random people walking through. The signs were ok, and the tee-pads were decent.
Cons: Lots of wooded holes. Not really that bad, but could be better if it had a few more open holes to play. I enjoyed it though. Need garbage cans!

Sign more baskets than me out here, dare ya's!

1    1/3/2011   1/3/2011
Review By: notBOB
Pros: HANg around this course long enough and it will mold your game...not a bad thing yo

-more technical than long-numerous long holes let you take some frustration out, however
-nicely groomed course, clean cut
-well balance of lefts and rights open and tights short and longs
-certain basket locations make up-shots crucial
-alternating pin placements keeps the course exciting, fresh
-competitive minis sunday mornings 10am-winter/ monday afternoons 545pm spring summer- hot disc rewards, payouts for open
Cons: -can get nasty thick nasty quick, esp. summer- keep those drives in the fairways yo
-random sloth groups suffocate the course on occasion...families and shit, it can get ridiculous- play on!
-parking gets hairy- soccer moms and faded rednecks, its quite amusing from a distance...
-trash heads throwing garbage on the ground
Other Thoughts: Matt and the Edmond crew hold down this park with authority, son!!
their input allows this beautiful course to grow...

Quit friggin littering you knuckleheads, friggin born in a barn er something... frik!

< Prev 1 2 3