Walnut Grove, MN
Upper Plum Creek Park Share
Uploaded By: Waddly Hobbins Hole #2 (Taken 8/2009)

Well that was interesting...

2-4    6/11/2016   6/12/2016
Review By: popmaeas
Pros: -Awesome hole set ups
-Good variations with distances
-Variation between wooded and open shots
-Two sets of tees
-Reasonable baskets
Cons: -Awful rough if you miss the fairway
-Fairways are very small, unlikely you will hit many of them
Other Thoughts: 3 months ago I would have never imagined doing so, but I only am giving this course a 2.5. The first two times I played the course were in the late fall/winter, and I absolutely loved it. I wanted to play it at least 3 times before reviewing it, so I decided to play it for the first time in the summer. I honestly wish I hadn't. The rough is simply unbearable, and it's present on almost every hole. Whether it be thick weeds intermingled with trees or knee high grass that isn't trimmed, the course makes you regret missing the 5 ft wide fairway on every hole. In total, what I'm saying is that this is a great course in the late fall when all the plants aren't growing. However, make a great consideration before playing here in the summer.

Rugged, Interesting, Disc eating Course Out In Laura Ingles Wilder Country!

1    7/14/2011   7/23/2011
Pros: Upper Plum Creek is located in Walnut Grove who's claim to fame has to do with the famous author Laura Ingles Wilder. This county park is far removed from everything and because of that, wouldn't attract a great deal of users. I would think disc golfers would often have this whole park to themselves. There is a picnic shelter, restroom, play area at the beginning. And a large family/group was here enjoying a picnic the day that I played. The disc golf is completely seperate from the picnic facilities.
There are two sets of concrete tees for each holes. They are large and work well here. The baskets are great. This is a nice piece of park land for a course with water hazards, rolling hills and plenty of trees and thick underbrush. Intermediate players on up will be challenged by it's tight fairways, thick rough and sometimes small landing zones. Playing in a group or with spotters is a must.
Cons: This course is a formula for losing discs. It has blind throws over water, blind throws into tall grassy areas and thick brushy areas. Errant throws are almost always a long search or a lost disc. # 3 was a 270' uphill toss over a creek. It's scary even with a spotter. # 5 from the longs is a 385' blind hyser shot with almost no margin for error. A little off and you sail into deep, deep grass or thick underbrush. Without a spotter, I didn't even think about throwing it. # 6 is a short throw (less than 200') over a spillway with almost no landing zone. It's an invitation for a sunken disc.
Other Thoughts: #7 was my favorite but even it was an uncomfortable play. It's 450' downhill to a narrow mowed fairway, then uphill to the basket set in the trees with lots of nasty rough behind it. First I narrowly missed the narrow fairway and had to search and then I slightly overthrew the basket and was lucky to find my disc back there in the rough.

#9 is longish downhill (450') with the same narrow mowed fairways. I missed the fairway with my tee off and spent 20 minutes looking for my disc in the tall grass.

Yes, this is a challenging course. But I'm sorry, courses like this are not my cup of tee. I would expect to lost a disc a round on this course and that just doesn't sound like fun to me.

I guess if I lived in Walnut Grove and the next closest course was 20 miles away, I'd have to man up, play this course and increase my disc budget substantially. And add 30 minutes per roundfor disc searchs!