Richardson, TX
Uploaded By: rainman Hole #1

UT Dallas Alumni DGC

1    6/29/2016   6/29/2016
Review By: reezyF
Pros: My three pros:

-I enjoy courses that have the 'fairways' mowed lower than the surrounding rough as it gives a ball golf feel and looks cool IMO. The fairways here at UTD were mowed nice and low while everything in between fairways was wildflowers and weeds from knee-high to chest high. Im not sure if the course looks this way during the winter and fall, which i assume is when the course photos were taken, but This course is unique in that it probably looks and plays pretty differently depending when the rough is so high. The rough was just high enough to make a fairway shot seem that much better and punish any errant shots with minutes of searching, providing some risk on otherwise safe holes...
-The flow of the course is intuitive and easy to follow, especially with mowed pathways between holes.
-There are decent signs, decent baskets, a buncha benches, several trashcans, and even a bridge to hole 1 from the neghborhood. There were probably more accomodations out at UTD than Ive seen at some full courses.
Cons: My three cons:

-PARKING- UGH driving through UTD brought me back to my college days of endless 'permit required' parking lots. I passed on the visitor pass route, didnt want to risk parking right next to the course (which a couple green permit students had done), so i opted to park in the neighborhood and walked really far to #1. Upon leaving I saw a sign saying 'resident parking only' on the street where i parked, so I guess I wasnt supposed to park there either? A simple fix would be to allow parking on the road next to the course with a sign that says somethin like 'DG & Green permit parking' but I assume they prefer people to check-in. oh well walking is part of disc golf so whats a little more.
-The rough is a nice feature that makes the course look cool but some areas were at disc eater level today. It was easy to get overconfident, rip one a little wide and spend 5 minutes hunting. I felt lucky i didnt land in some patches of weeds b/c it would be a goner.
-As others mentioned the teepads are dirt patches that are rocky, uneven, short, slanted etc. - Theyre mostly not good. Concrete tees were the one thing the course was really lacking.
Other Thoughts: The other big comment that could be a pro or con is the hole length. Most holes seemed 200' or less with some trees here and there to add interest. I thought some holes seemed a little too short, but they are just right for a quick round between classes or beginners. The hole difficulty is somewhat helped or thwarted by the superduper rough, which would tear up any beginner or make the short holes a little more juicy for better players.
Overall I thought the course looked nice and was fun to play, but played a little too short and the parking issues kinda irked me.

I attend UTD- course is rough.

5+    6/8/2015   6/8/2015
Review By: lineenil
This review was updated on 6/25/2015
Pros: EDIT - I bumped my score up half a star for a few reasons. The newly marked fairways are looking great. They're outlined in wildflowers that are just starting to grow in, and what you can see has been amazing. It now seems to have been groomed up nicely. The water has drained and it is playable again. Further improvements are coming very soon and I'll update with more later. Expect this course to be looking AWESOME for Fall golf 2015. That's all I'm sayin'

---

I actually go to UTD so it is really awesome to have a course on campus. There's only so much complaining I can do when there's a course withing walking distance.

Short holes make for some reachable ace runs. However they keep it interesting with some good pin locations, behind or around trees to add challenge.

Just had many renovations with new signs, flowers, and few new trees.

A decent bit of variety makes for a solid practice course.
Cons: However also included in those renovations were god awful teeboxes. Even the dirt patch next to it is brutal. Whoever thought the small concrete square was good enough was wrong.

The creek and bushes can eat some discs and is pretty dense. Sometimes there are snakes and wasps to be found in there.

Very unkempt currently. Someone needs to mow hole number 5- it's pointless to play as the entire 250' field is three foot tall grass.
Other Thoughts: Decent for a course that is easy access, but actually very marginal. Teeboxes alone dock a star.

Yep...What they said

1    12/23/2011   12/27/2011
Review By: lajoie24
Pros: Good place to work out the "yips" or a new disc. If you have any kind of skill, 7 of the 9 holes will be "ace runs" for you. I liked the 3rd hole...it was the only challenging shot on the course. If you only have a few minutes to play, this is your course.
Cons: Tee boxes are awful. I wouldn't even use them.

Wish it were my college

1    5/27/2010   6/18/2010
Review By: dreadlock86
Pros: Good beginner course. The design is easy to navigate and well thought. The holes are short and mostly open so advanced players will be aiming for birdie on all of them. It's pretty fun for a small beginner course.
Cons: Teeboxes are terrible. The holes aren't very long so you don't need much of a run-up but standing in the teeboxes is just awkward. I threw from behind them.

No real variety of shots. Just open looks with a few trees here and there.
Other Thoughts: This course is certainly not a DG destination but I would have been pretty happy to have a course like this when I was in college. It must be great to get a round in between classes.

Most experienced players will be bored here but it's a great place to bring new players where everyone can have a good time.

Like others, I parked in the close lot.

**Like this review? Hate it? Message me and let me know why! I want to make them better!**

Is it a Sandbox or a Tee?

1    5/17/2010   5/17/2010
Review By: Donovan
Pros: This course now, uses some trees to make the holes somewhat interesting. This relatively flat location is 9 holes of "anyone can play here" expectations revealed. The use of the trees has given a couple of the holes some decent obstacles and considering the size of the area, the layout was actually thought through pretty well. Navigation here is a no brainer. The baskets are I good shape and there are some portable restrooms in the parking area. All and all, this is a good place to learn.
Cons: The parking option here is not the best. It's a long walk from the lot they give you to park in. These "tee boxes" are built like a wood enclosed sandboxes and they are not in good shape and not very long. They were supposed to have woodchips, but they are just pits now. These holes are almost too short to be enjoyable for most seasoned players.
Other Thoughts: The Fun Factor was a ho-hum. I enjoyed #3, but that was about it. There is nothing wrong with really short courses, except I would hate for first time players to think this is how tee boxes are for the sport. One more thought about the parking. The course took less than 20 minutes to play, so I figured I would be a gambling man and I just parked in the close lot.

Ut Alumni

5+    8/1/2008   7/22/2008
Review By: sidewinding
This review was updated on 8/14/2008
Pros: All nine holes are birdiable which increases the fun factor, especially for new players.
Cons: The Texas sun will kill you on this course in the summer. They need to plant some trees.

The tee pads are made from landscaping timbers filled with mulch. The first problem is that they are 5' x 5' which is too short if you take steps when you throw. The second problem is that the mulch has an uncomfortable spongy feel.

Since it's on the campus of U.T. you have to check in at a gaurd-shack to get a parking pass and park where they tell you to, which is not the closest lot to tee pad #1.