Whitewater, WI
3 / 220ft.   3 / 292ft.   3 / --   3 / -- Par / Distance:

Control over Power

5+    3/16/2012   3/19/2012
Review By: guitar_freak_159
Pros: 1) The baskets are in great shape (although hole 11 is a mounted a little high).

2) The course plays through very well, there is not much walking required between holes.

3) There are garbages located on many of the holes.

4) There is a big parking lot that the course is located off of.
Cons: 1) During the heat of the summer, the odds of loosing discs on an errant through increase substantially.

2) Because the course is located on a college campus, there tends to be a lot of alcohol bottles left on the course, many times broken glass.

3) It tends to be very buggy during the summer.

4) The tee-pads are inconsistent. Some have a brick pad, while some have a rubber, and others are just dirt. Also, the brick pads are sometimes located between the amateur and pro tee spots.
Other Thoughts: This course is my home course. It is a course that changes a lot through the year. In the spring and fall fairways are easier to navigate with the disc, in the summer when all the foliage is up it is much more difficult. The fairways are defined and there is always a path to the basket, it just may take a little more control to get it to the basket.

Every hole is birdie-able, I have birdied every one. Many of them are also ace-able. Because the course isn't very long, this course favors control shots over power shots (especially in the summer).

The course doesn't receive as much attention on the grooming side as I would prefer. They did do some trimming on the bushes at the end of the '11 season. Holes 1, 2, 4, and 12 had some bushes taken out, but there is still more that could be done. However, it is still better than it has been in previous years.

I really enjoy playing this course and I am happy that is is my home course. It keeps me focused on accuracy while maintaining power on some of the holes as well. It is worth traveling to and to because it isn't a very long course you can play it a couple times.

B+ = Very good for the 9 hole class of courses

1    7/2/2009   7/3/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward. Fair, but harsh punishment for bad decisions or execution. == B+ (Several of the holes have thick rough that will punish bad shots with an additional stroke)
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities for me. I throw 300' accurately, 360' max. == B (Birdie-ing most of the holes from the long pads is rewarding. Good hole shape and use of obstacles and available terrain.)
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography == B (A few holes are repetitive and there is nothing extremely creative, but you find yourself really needing to shape your shots well with 70-80% power in a lot of places.)
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion. == B (Beauty is so-so but seclusion is pretty nice. It is mowed and maintained quite well. I enjoyed the Mulberry trees all over the course - they are in full force in early July!)
5) Bonus points for multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them. == N/A