Boiling Springs, SC
Va-Du-Mar Park Share
Hole #17 Am Tee: OB creek all along right side. Nasty OB shule all along the left.

Nice set up - nice park

1    11/25/2015   11/30/2015
Review By: crwharton
Pros: Traveling for the holidays - we are two distinctly different players - course sets up very nicely for both. Long tees provide solid pro test and short tees provide good play for shorter thrower.

For visiting player, signage / tees /maintenance/ course amenities are solid. Excellent facility - clean restroom. Weekday morning in November mostly empty, no problems with other park users.

Some beautiful throws - enjoyed the course - well worth the trip from the highway for a round when traveling.

Great Course

2-4    10/18/2015   10/22/2015
Review By: mierze
Pros: *Two different tee selections which change up the course pretty dramatically.
*Good mix of woods and open shots.
*Hard to lose a disc.
*Little streams running through and around many holes.
*Nice park overall.
*Solid elevation changes.
Cons: *Lots of walkers on disc golf course.
*My white putter is now red from the clay being wet :|
*Really drawing a blank, it's a great play.
Other Thoughts: I would probably rate this closer to a 4-4.25 but I feel that it is a little underrated as it sits right now on dgcoursereview.

5+    2/8/2015   2/8/2015
Review By: Tom_oconnor
Pros: Great use of elevation. 2 sets of tee pads. Challenging layout.
Cons: People use this course a lot for not playing disc golf. Dogs, kids on bikes, strollers, and many other obstacles can be aggravating during a nice weekend afternoon.
Other Thoughts: The tree gods can be very unforgiving. I would say it's impossible to not hit a tree. Even keeping your ego in check and playing a safe route is somehow still challenging.

Va Du Marvelous ace made by Benny!

1    11/11/2014   11/11/2014
Review By: Bennybennybenny
Pros: -Nicely designed course. Very nice neighborhood and park. I want to live in a neighborhood like this when I'm 75! Anyway, sweet course with tons of ace (what I got on #4!!) runs as well as a very well designed par 4.
-Nice tee signs and tee pads. Course is easy to navigate too. There are next tee arrows pointing to both the shorts and the longs.
-Practice basket beside the kiosk beside #1.
-Nice greens on the course. Whether they are next to the creek (#15) or steep rollaways like #6 and #8.
-Great use of elevation on the course. This course is NOT mostly flat. There are a couple straight downhills like #7 and #11. #7 from either tee is a sweet straight down putter shot. #11 is the only par 4 from the shorts and par 5 from the longs and sure enough it's the most difficult yet one of the best. It starts off on the top of a big hill and turns left at the bottom of the hill. I threw a midrange and went over the creek that's over 300' from the tee.
-Great chance for an ace because I DID IT!!! I aced #4 from the short tee. I threw a putter dead straight and BAM! Hole 7 also can very well be aced as it is only 180' and lose half of its footage due to elevation. Fun ace runs are scattered along the course.
-Special standout to the creek running along the course and the pond on #14. #14 rocks! It's over a pond that's OB whether it's dry or not. The long tee is even better as it is on top of a hill maybe 15'. This kind of hole really gets you pumped. Love the rollaway green too.
-Great mix of open/wooded holes on the course. Great variety period. Holes on the short range from 123' to 564' and on the longs, lengths range from about 200' to 735'.
-This course is basically for everyone! The shorts are more fun and where you can see many birdies and the longs are a real test. The fairways are a little more odd and they put you to work.
Cons: -This is a hike for sure. Few more benches and many trash cans would be appreciated.
-#11's approach is too close to #12. I got confused and thought #12's basket (just over the creek) was #11's. #11's basket is in the woods left of the creek.
-I'm seriously wondering if there is some sort of trail around the course because there were people walking, especially on #15.
-Warning! The steep hill we play on is steep, especially on #6. If you hit a tree on #6, your disc will likely go right and will ricochet down all the way, if not, be careful for sure because there is a good chance in slipping.
-Few filler holes. The shorter holes were actually really fun but #9 was kind of just there for support I guess, same goes with #16.
Other Thoughts: -I came here because I wanted extra credit in my AP U.S. History class, I first when to Cowpens Battleground and definitely didn't want to drive there without playing this course and Tyger River (PLAY THAT COURSE!). This was a great day to spend for Veteran's Day and was glad that I didn't have school because I wouldn't have gotten to ace #4 my first time out here.
-I recommend you bring your friends, church group, school disc golf club etc. out here because it's a good time.
-Signature hole would easily be #11. The true par 4/5.
-My favorite hole was #14. It may not be the signature hole but love the risk/reward on the hole. Easy to reach a midrange, difficult to reach with a putter. Long tee, just throw what you are comfortable with.
-Fun factor-137/180
-Hole rating-134/180
-Both are high ratings but I felt like there could have been a couple things that could make it sicker! Few filler holes and needs more benches and a lot more trash cans.

GREAT Course!

1    6/30/2014   7/8/2014
Review By: DGLobo999
Pros: Great layout with LOTS of variation in shots required. Great use of trees and elevation. A true design with the disc golfer and the flight of the disc in mind! Excellent tees, signage, and baskets. Good risk/reward opportunities. Easy to navigate.
Cons: Needs benches badly. Did not see facilities but only played passing through so I might have missed them. #7 descent is a nightmare when dry. Can't imagine the fun if wet!
Other Thoughts: Nice park. Well maintained. Definitely recommend making the trip to play this course. Kudos to the designers.

Well done on a nice spot of land

1    5/9/2014   5/10/2014
Review By: Hearin Chains
Pros: - Great mix of open and woods shots
- Balanced Risk / Reward options
- Elevation used well to add dynamics to shot selection
- Lots of benches , Tee box signs are nice and professional
Cons: - Would have liked to have small next tee signs under the basket on every hole, rather then the large yellow ones on some
- odd transition to 10 long
- basket for 12 very close to fairway for 11
- unclear on the intended play for hole 2 from back tee
Other Thoughts: I was traveling through town on Friday and I though I would give this course a try. I was not disappointed!

From the back tees, holes that stood out to me:
5: Nice uphill long dog leg left,very fun.
7: Back down the hill, very straight. Good chance to throw a thumber.
11: another down hill, but with more room to work and longer. Will come back to play this one.
14: Wicked pin placement on the edge of a retention pond with the creek on the downslope after the pin.

Even solo I had a great time here, and would really love to come back and play with some of the locals. The love of their course is evident in how well maintained and clean it is.

1    2/17/2013   2/17/2013
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Va-Du-Mar is the name, disc golf is the game. Lucky for me the golfing is better than the funky name. I really enjoyed playing this course, and think it is one of the best in the state. I liked the combination of challenging and fun throws. The elevation changes are on nearly every hole, varying in degree from steep to slight. The fairways range from wide open on a couple, to carving place to place and turning tight corners through dense woods. Playing the long tees adds an extra punch. Two tees on each hole make the distance more manageable from the shorts, but doesn't take away all of the difficulty. Pin placements are regularly near water, on the edge of a hill, or both. Chances to crank some long drives, but accuracy is important over distance mostly. Fairways can be very tough but are balanced left/right and nicely defined.

I especially liked hole 7 and 11, both are steep downhill drives. 7 is a shorter birdie hole if you keep it down the middle, and 11 is very lengthy with a dogleg left at the bottom of the hill. 14 and 17 are open drives, but require long throws over marshy retention holes.

The tee pads were all concrete, all the baskets were there and numbered, and the long tees now have signs marking distances and basic hole map. Also, large yellow arrows help guide the transitions between holes in a few spots. The bridges crossing the water were all sturdy and nice. Overall the layout great fun and not too hard to figure out.
Cons: The most obvious fault was the total lack of benches at any point in the round. Didn't see many trash cans either. A map might be helpful, but I really didn't have too much trouble navigating the course. I played the day after the snow fell, and there were slick, muddy spots, but not too bad. Still, the steep hill sides could get dicey, so be careful. Water is present on many holes, and though several of my throws were in the creek, all discs were retrieved. Bad rolls and tree ricochets may be expected, due to terrain features.
Other Thoughts: Winter canopy on the trees might have helped me some, but this course still kicked my tail. The 20 mph cold wind definitely played a part, and so did the water. My short game was not sharp, and I was way over par. I still had an awesome time! I might have been too generous and over-rated by a half star, but to make up for the 3.36 average rating from previous reviews. The course is killer, meriting a solid 4 minimum. Install benches and a few trash cans, and a 4.5 could be justifiable in my opinion. I never played the old layout, but the current one is great. I'm ready to sound the awesome course alert. Serious disc golfers, this one is worth making the trip. Sort of reminds me of Bowers Park in Tuscaloosa, AL.

Nice intermediate course

2-4    1/9/2013   1/13/2013
Review By: Stardoggy
Pros: Nice course with really good use of elevation through most of the round. It's not the hardest course around, but it has a nice variety of shots, even on the more open holes.

Pretty good risk/reward on most holes, with some pretty steep hills in play on several, and a small creek running along several holes (although retrieval is never really a problem, except for possibly the pit on 14). I particularly liked 14, which is a 200ish shot over a pit to a thin (10 ft wide) ridge. I was fortunate to keep it up on the ridge both rounds I played. The downhill bomber/dogleg left hole (11 I think?) was an especially nice hole, probably the signature hole on the course. It was nice having long tees on most holes, as well.

Following the course is relatively easy, with yellow arrow markers located after most baskets. They also seem to have done a really nice job with clearing out the nasty brush, as well.
Cons: For such a nice course, I'd expect there to benches on more holes. The lack of signs was also surprising. Distances, par (I played everything as a 3, just to be consistent), elevation change, and hole diagrams would go a LONG way towards making this a 4-4.5 course.

I REALLY would have liked to see a better way down the hill on hole 7, as well. That's a hairy descent, to be mild about it. I would be downright frightened to go down it with anything but super dry ground.
Other Thoughts: Despite the cons, this really is a great little course that I'd be more than happy to call my home course. A decent variety of shots, and two really nice setups with the short/long tees. The teepads are nice, although I prefer trapezoidal concrete to just a straight rectangle.

Overall, a really nice spot to stop for a couple rounds if you're in the area.

2-4    8/28/2012   11/28/2012
Review By: JeffShearsmith
Pros: Great course with lots of elevation change. Nice play through trees. Some holes you can rip it off the tee while others require a little more finesse.
Cons: The two holes with nearby water hazards ate my disc.
Other Thoughts: Close to so will play often.

Used to be better.

5+    7/28/2012   7/30/2012
Review By: Dsweat
This review was updated on 8/3/2012
Pros: Nice challenge. A number of thread the needle holes that require some good straight drives. I especially like the two downhill holes that really make you feel like you've ripped it. I could throw those over and over again. Very nice wooded terrain like a peaceful walk in the woods.
Cons: Lots of opportunities for lost discs in woods and brush if you're not careful. We actually could not find 2 holes or the starting pad for another. I believe 14 was the one we couldn't find the pad and 18 was one where we couldn't find the hole. Used to be one of my favorite courses.. Several times I had to walk halfway to the basket just to figure out where to throw.
Other Thoughts: This course was better in my opinion before the recent revamp. With better markings, could be a great course.