Milwaukee, WI
Dineen Park Share
3 / -- Par / Distance:

Quiet, inner-city park with distance

1    11/6/2009   11/6/2009
Review By: Scott Van Dyke
Pros: Lots of >300 ft. holes
Beautiful trees
Location
Cement pads, great baskets, signage
Hole 17 (if you can mentally block out the "housing" along the right side of the fairway is just absolutely gorgous in the Fall. Lots of trees and leaves. Very picturesque.

Very little traffic on the course.
Cons: Bring a map. A few areas of concern, as there is a lot of walking to do here:

Walk past 5 to get to 7.
Long walk to 8.
Long walk to 13.
Long, and confusing walk to 18 (map is misleading here) Walk up to the road, and down a ways, and then back into the park.

Hole 15 as of 11/6/09 had no sign at the pad, and a ton of broken glass from empty M/D and Gin bottles all over the pad.

Geese and Seagulls. Everywhere. Watch out for piles of their crap. Some of these animals are eating well. Let me tell you.

Other Thoughts: I've known about this course for a few years, and finally made up my mind to drive into the city and play it. I'm glad I did, because I will be back soon.

I played at lunch on a Friday, and only say a couple of others while there. I'm giving this course a 3.5, and others probably will not agree, but this is a really nice course, if you don't mind cris-crossing, and doubling back a bit. I'm not much good in design, but I can see why it's like this. There are some really nice features in this park that were taken advantage of.

I suggest not trying to find the alternate parking lot between 12 and 13, as it was partitioned off and closed when I played. Just park at hole 1. There's even a practice basket.

Watch hole 12, as the left side has trees and water. This is a long hole, but reachable in two. As you're walking toward it, be careful to watch which pin you're shooting at. There are three visible pins from this fairway.

While playing 12, I got lost on the left for awhile, and had to "punt" out. My third shot hit a goose, and took a funny bounce. Hitting geese has been found to be hella funny btw....I ended up taking a 6 on the hole.

Holes 13, 14, and 15 can get pretty swampy, so bring some shoes that won't get you soaking wet if that's a problem for you.

The neighborhood is questionable, but I had no problem at this time of the day. I would however, not recommend you get stuck down there as it gets dark. Lot's of graffiti, empty bottles, etc. This leads me to believe you may want to use some caution if by yourself.

Hole 6 has a unique Oak tree branch that hangs very low, right in front of the basket. I can't imagine this will be there for long, as somebody will probably end up taking it down out of fustration.

Hole 7 gets really windy.

This course has trees, but does not have any "tunnel" holes. I think it could use a few more trees, but it probably has enough, and definitely has more than other reviewers give it credit for.

I shot in a hurry at lunch time when it was pretty windy. I shot a +11, using the Par 3 for every hole system. All pars and bogeys with the exception of the 6 on hole 12.

As far as signature holes are concerned, I really like that number 17. You'll see what I mean when you play this course. It's just really nice looking.

Milwaukee gem

8/15/2007   4/17/2008
Review By: FoleyT
Pros: Good variety of long and short holes, open and through the trees. Looks like a fun course, and too bad we couldn't play the whole thing.
Cons: Wind was a bit of a factor, and I don't know how long ago this was converted from a 3 par golf course, but there were still people there hitting golf balls around, so look out.
Other Thoughts: Disclaimer: Due to time constraints we were only able to play the front 9 on our tour of eastern Wisconsin in '07 - probably worth another look.

2007 AM Worlds

7/24/2007   8/1/2007
Review By: shaggydabomb
Pros: Well maintained with some facilities..Should be a birdie fest, but doesn't always work out that way..Ha!
Mainly open course good mix long & short..Windy days will work you here..!
Cons: Bring a friend, seedy people in park sometimes..
Other Thoughts: a good play! saw an -11 down and several + 1/2s