Port Orchard, WA
Van Zee Park Share
Uploaded By: yardbird Hole #11 (Taken 8/2011)

2-4    7/2/2010   7/3/2010
Review By: bigbmoney
Pros: Excellent use of confined space. Really shoe-horned in 9 holes. Elevation changes presented a good challenge.
Cons: Tee boxes are not uiform in any way. Different sizes and texture. I think this comes from using some existing concrete. Most holes are birdie tries. Alternate tees don't always change the hole very much.
Other Thoughts: Don't think I will make the trip from Poulsbo very often.

Up and Down!

2-4    3/31/2010   4/3/2010
Review By: puaahunter
Pros: lots of great uses of elevation.
some shots were pretty technical
good signage
cement teepads
baskets caught well (even though i drilled the chains with my drive on hole 3 - my first ace!!! - but the disc popped out... so it was a no-go for me.)
two tee pads for each hole-although they don't always drastically change the shot.
nice park location, including large ball field and playground.
Cons: short course. (but they fit all 9 holes in to a small park without disturbing other activities that may be going on in the park - props for that!)
potential to throw into neighboring houses and the street on 3, 6, 7, and 8.
Other Thoughts: It was a lot of fun to play Van Zee Park Disc Golf. I live in Shelton, and I met a friend there. two other guys were on the course on the wednesday morning we played.

I really enjoyed the use of elevation on the course.
the holes were well thought out for the small space available.

unfortunately, it was a very easy course. birdies are attainable pretty easily on every hole, par is doable with eyes closed unless you really shank a tree or over throw a basket and roll down a hill.

i don't think i'd travel here to play it again, but i enjoyed my 3 times through the course in 1.5 hours!

I almost missed my ferry!

1    12/19/2009   5/31/2009
Review By: sillybizz
This review was updated on 7/13/2011
Pros: Excellent job with the space presented, the designer knew what they were doing. The ways of which the elevation comes into play make the park very fun to play. Nicely done short technical holes with lots of trees made my putter fear for it's life. The whole family can play this course and get a decent score too. There was no signs or markers but the course was easy to navigate and there was no other golfers in the park. There is even enough open field near the parking lot to practice drives on. There is even concrete tee pads here now thanks to the local club.
Cons: This park is short but it's in a small park so this is to be expected so no long bombs, mostly mid range and putting. A couple of the holes border other people's property line with a fence so watch out you don't throw it over.
Other Thoughts: There was a group of about 10 teenagers in the wooded area of the park that were looking like they were up to no good and were in my way for one hole so I had to skip it, not sure if this is common place but it was a little bit of a drag. Overall not a bad little course, if I'm back Playing NAD in Bremerton, I will stop by after to play a round or two.

nice course

1    5/15/2008   12/15/2008
Review By: DGtourist
Pros: This is not just another nine hole park course, for starters it has ten holes. This piece of land offers variety in that some holes are open some are tight and there is rolling terrain to deal with that generate some decent up and downhill shots. The designers get a lot of use out of the limited area that is provided. Each hole has cement tee pads and a marker and is easy to navigate. Most of the course spirals around a little forest in the back area of the park. The upkeep at this park is tiptop I didn't see any trash and the grass was mowed nicely. This park is a great spot for beginners or a quick round.
Cons: Van Zee is a pretty small neighborhood park, as such, the course is tight and short. When I played, number ten was a temporary basket that was rolled over and propped up next to some sort of utility shed so that it was out of the way of a baseball field that it shares space with. Perhaps it was the permanent basket that was dug out of the ground as it was incased in concrete at the base. In some cases in order to have a course we have to share the space, a typical nuisance of the multi use park course. The holes that border along the park boundary do not leave a player much room for error. Chuck one over somehow and you may find yourself climbing a six foot chainlink fence into a neighbors yard who no doubt has grown a dislike for our beloved sport. As a beginner course I found the etiquette to be lacking, my group was thrown into a couple of times.
Other Thoughts: With only one hole being more than 250 feet, let the ace runs fly! The parking situation is a little tight. I look forward to playing this course again someday.