Course Extinct
Winder, GA
Victor Lord Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: bk_ching Hole #2 (Taken 3/2011)
3 / 246ft.   -- / --   3 / 316ft.   -- / -- Par / Distance:
Hole #2 Long Tee

Victor Lord Park DGC

1    4/13/2011   4/13/2011
Review By: 3OrangeWhips
This review was updated on 1/20/2012
Pros: There are 10 complete holes with 10 tee pads and 10 baskets.
Cons: The 10 complete holes with 10 tee pads and 10 baskets are just about as close to unplayable as it gets.
Other Thoughts: Pretty much all of the other recent negative reviews of this course are spot on. The brush really has not come back very much this spring and it is already almost impossible to find tee pads, fairways or baskets. The only reason to play this course is if you want a check mark on your "Courses Played" list for DGCR.com. I play Fort Yargo right next door on a fairly regular basis and I won't play Victor Lord again unless it gets an extreme makeover.

What has becometh of thee, Lord Victor?

1    3/12/2011   3/17/2011
Review By: bk_ching
Pros: The main positive thing I can say about this course is that the baskets were in one piece. And it is only about a mile from the entrance to Fort Yargo. In fact, just one driveway south off Hwy 81.

Most of the tees that I found did have a laminated piece of paper (either tacked to the tree or laying on ground) showing the hole number and distance. About half the holes had the hole number painted in orange or yellow on white signs nailed into trees. After some trial and error (and misdirection), I was able to navigate through holes 2-5 in the woods. Following those holes, 6, 7, 8, 10, and 11 were fairly easy to find.
Cons: Well for one thing, this is a course that has been practically neglected and unloved for quite a while. Forgotten and passed by time, it seems. I only found 10 of the 11 baskets that are claimed to be out there. Never found the tee for 1 or the basket for 9.

The holes I found through the woods (2 thru 5) had so much overgrowth and uncut briars, vines and shrubs. Pretty rough shape throughout those 4 holes. Even the softball field fence along the fairway of Hole 2 has overgrown vines. Unlike the heavily-used fields across the parking lot, this field must not get a lot of recreational play either. Tons of trash along the woodsy holes, especially #4.

Just about all the tee pads throughout course were covered with pine straw and pine cones, requiring you to clear some out to get good footing and not slip. I also had to be careful of rotted stumps and other covered holes underneath the tons of pine straw. Almost stepped in a couple of them - that's a twisted ankle waiting to happen!

On pin 3, there were thin roots that, over time, had grown right against the pole and wrapped around the lower part of basket. I pulled the vines off to turn around to almost get my eye poked out by a thorn on a hanging vine behind me.
Other Thoughts: UPDATED PHOTOS (as of 3/2011) of tees and baskets are included. In the photos from 3/2009 (which show holes 4-9), those holes did not come into play with this current (aka 'original') layout. Holes 10 and 11 in the 2009 layout are now 4 and 5 respectively in this current 2011 layout. The new pics for 6 thru 11 are included here too.

Tons of kids, families, and parents were all around cheering and watching softball. I had no idea where Hole 1 started. I found the pin, but not the tee pad. With softball season getting in full gear, it's evident that due to lack of parking spaces, cars will most always be around pin 1, such as in this case.

According to the photos from '09, there was a big area of green grass which lead up to pin 1. However, it seems that since then, the old fairway had been ripped apart by an asphalt grater to make way for more parking spaces. So I guess you could use your own imagination and come up with your own tee in the parking lot. I just couldn't that day since cars were all parked all around the pin.

All the tee pads I found were marked with wooden 4x4s, either wood brown or black. (Paint It Black?) Not sure if the black boards were spray-painted or what. I was able to find most of the tee pads for the 9 holes I was able to play. Some holes claimed to have multiple pads, but 5 and 7 seemed to be the only ones I found that had them.

After playing hole 8, I found the printed sign for #9, but the actual hole was nowhere to be found. Behind the sign, there was a big cluster of trees along the hill between #8 fairway and one of the softball fields below. Checked inside that cluster and nope... no sign of a basket. All you can do from there is go down the hill to play #10 along the curve of the field fence, and then to 11.

It doesn't seem that anybody, with the exception of a few volunteers, gives a damn about the maintenance and upkeep of this course. If some serious effort was really put into this course, even the woodsy holes 2-5 could be pretty decent. Many areas need a good whack of a machete and extensive use of pruning shears and hedge trimmers.

I could somehow see this course remain, but likely as just a 9-holer. The current pin 1 could just be a practice basket, Hole 11 could be renumbered to #1, and Hole 10 around the softball field fence could be #9. Holes 2-8 can stand pat.

But in the end, is all of that even worth it?!? I'm sure originally the designer of the course had the best of intentions, but simply put, no effort has been made to keep it together and make it worth playing. It's just better to pay a few bucks and play Fort Yargo down the road, where at least they're putting some TLC into that course!

forget it

1    1/27/2011   1/27/2011
Review By: dannyrowe
Pros: none
Cons: hard to find any baskets...growth now intertwined into some of the few baskets I found. Not maintained at all. Unplayable
Other Thoughts: went to find it today since there were no reviews within 9 months. The course has pretty much been abandoned. Completely unplayable. I only found 4 baskets total.

Not worth it

1    6/26/2009   4/6/2010
Review By: ProOffense
Pros: Maybe it's nice when you get past the 5th hole, but i couldn't make it that far without getting so frustrated with the poorly marked chains and pads.
Cons: I'm not sure if this course is supposed to look the way it did when i played it, but it really looked like an overgrown course which was forgot by the world. I think if this course recieved a little TLC it could be a relaxing course. Not really in the best neighborhood either. I ended up discovering the first four holes but after that, my frustration got the best of me. It wasn't much later than that when i decided to dip out.
Other Thoughts: I really hope that someone decides to get this course back on the map, seeing how its only twenty min from where I live. It could be a fun play. And thats a BIG "could be."

simply terrible

1    10/16/2009   11/11/2009
Review By: rnance7
Pros: nothing that i can particularly think of...in a nice location maybe?
Cons: grass not cut, very difficult to navigate, some holes missing, etc..
Other Thoughts: for such a nice park, why in the hell is this course not better taken care of?

Diamond in the rough

1    5/9/2009   5/9/2009
Review By: billnchristy
This review was updated on 5/27/2009
Pros: This is a complete re-write with my new rating system.

Player run course but on public land
Easily spotted baskets.
Multiple tees if you can find them.
Cons: Not finished.
Player run course on public land:
Maintenance is suffering, cleanliness is suffering. This is all because people have jobs and maintaining a course is almost out of the question as a hobby.
Tee pads range from decent to abysmal.
Terrain is pretty rough. No appreciable fairway on many holes. Hopefully this will get sorted out.
Not a full 18 holes (course is technically not open so take this with a grain of salt)
Got lost at one point.
Large amount of shule in places...lost a disc for nearly 30 minutes...granted it was due to a bad shot but it was not unreasonably bad.
Some downright marshy holes.
Other Thoughts: This course is in rough shape due to it not having a full-time team taking care of it.
I really hope that this course can be completed because it has potential to be a pretty good course.
There are some nice points, there is a hole with a gateway arch type tree which is pretty cool and there are several small, shallow ravines that could really punish you.

Using my new rating system this course scored 33.5 out of 100. It's roughness and general lack of playibility were the main causes. If this course is finished and cleaned up it could easily be in the 55-65% range.

D = Dis Course Needs Help!

1    9/18/2007   4/18/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- C-
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- C
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- C+
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- D

1    3/15/2009   4/15/2009
Review By: sdecker
Pros: None, really.
Cons: Really bad part of town -- course is right across the street from a known drug haven in Winder. Signage basically nonexistent. Tee boxes are just two landscaping timbers to make the lane.
Other Thoughts: If you're in the area, just go play Yargo instead. It's 2 miles away and while it does cost a bit to play, it's vastly superior. I hate to post such a negative review about anything related to the sport I love, but this course is just not worth the effort to me. Needs a lot of work to compete with the other courses in the area.

A work in progress

1    3/10/2009   3/10/2009
Review By: craigd
This review was updated on 3/16/2009
Pros: To spite not being too excited as I pulled in to the parking lot, this turned out to be a decent course. Over all this is a very fun and at times challenging course.

Much work still needs to be done as it is just in the clearing stages on the fairways on what must be some newly installed holes, mainly five through eight. Several trees have been cleared out and you will find some of them scattered about these holes. They have done a good job lining tee boxes with some of them. They are great holes though. Good flow and easy to follow.

Number one plays just below the parking lot and along the road. It is as if it was a warm up shot and then it's off to the woods for a really nice round. Two through eleven play though the dense woods and offer a variety of hole types. There are very slight elevation changes with slight doglegs left and right. Additionally, there are a few blind shots. Most of these holes are heavily wooded so accuracy is needed. Most memorable of these holes was number nine. A tree has fallen into the fork of another tree and created an arch. The picture does not do it justice. It is a great hole. On a side note about 8 deer came running through the woods about 25' from us. It added to the ambiance of the course.

Hole twelve sort of pulls you out of the woods onto what appears to be the mature side of the course and on towards the last hole to date, number 17. These holes are pretty good as well. I especially liked number thirteen. It's aptly named "Hill Street Blues". An uphill shot of about 370' with a steep bank to the right. The next two play across a ridge, 16 is at the bottom of the hill along a ball field fence line. Seventeen is back across the street and ends near hole number one.

Cons: Some holes on the course seem new and not 100% broken in just yet. Most of the things you expect to find on what appears to be an underfunded course are here. Dirt tee pads, homemade signs, missing amenities, and so forth. These will improve in time I'm sure. For some reason the park itself where the course is located just didn't feel very comfortable. After a round you sort of get over it though.
Other Thoughts: I ran into some locals who were quite eager to answer questions and seemed really enthusiastic about the course. If there are a handful of folks out there like them then I fully expect this to be a great little course in time. They mentioned six more holes being installed in the near future in the wooded area to the left of the parking lot.

I especially liked Fort Yargo DGC which is only minutes away from Victor Lord. It's nice to fit both of these in while you're here. There is camping at Fort Yargo as well for those interested.

Fun course

1    2/26/2009   3/8/2009
Review By: StPaulie
Pros: You must keep in mind this is a course under renovation, totaly volunteer. That said I truly enjoyed the wooded portion of this course. The layout was well thought out with plenty of obsticals to manuver around. I found a definite fairway for each hole with multiple opions on some. Great use of the small stream and other terain features. The hole with the fallen tree leaning on another creating an arch to play over or under was particularly fun. My favorite though was the blind shot over a hill to a basket right next to the stream. You will finf plenty of challenge here. The tees are all grass or natural surface, I found them very playable.
Cons: I am placeing the tees in the can section also as many people will accept nothing but concrete. Once again these tees were very playable. There was enough sinage to get around. However I did have to scout around a little in some places. All current holes were numbered, but a little more information at the tees would be an enhancement. Some of the holes are still a little rough, but they are playable. This being a work in progress I see great potential for this course.
Other Thoughts: I understand that the plan is for all the holes to be moved to the woods and I look forward to see what they do with these holes! All in all this is a fun course to play, I will be back and look forward to seeing it completed.