Sussex, WI
Uploaded By: snappyfingers Hole #10
3 / 219ft.   3 / --   3 / --   3 / -- Par / Distance:
Hole #10 Approach

1 2 3 Next >
 a little more effort and...

5+    5/2/2009   5/4/2009
Review By: tomjulio
This review was updated on 9/30/2009
Pros: -great variety of holes(rippers, small, technical)
-elevation changes
-LARGE cement tees
-lengthy course
-rarely crowded
-quality pin placements-quite beautiful, and the park is dedicated to disc golfing(mostly)
Cons: -HORRIBLE sign-age, if and when it exists
-awkward next hole locations unmarked
-one set of tees
-random events(such as a fireman's ball) can close the DG course. Check website
-one tee pad removed(hole15, I believe) due to a new bike path installed. Currently a dirt pad.
Other Thoughts: One of my favorite places to play a lengthy round in southeastern Wisconsin. This course has it all...LONG ripper holes for the big guns, short technical holes, and a lot of in betweens. Some of the better use of elevation changes in the area as well. What keeps this course from rising any higher than a 3.5 in my book is the complete lack sign-age, especially directing you to the next hole. More below.

Hole 1
Love this hole. Elevated drive, 400+, over standing water pond (spring especially.May be dry in hot summer as witnessed in pic). Such a great hole to start the course.

hole 2-3
Rip away. Use the big arm on these. 2 has a neat pin placement slightly elevated and in a gully. HERE is where if you don't know where hole 3 is you will be completely confused. It is to the left through a small gap in the trees. A path might help you locate it, otherwise people end up inadvertently skipping to the back nine.

Holes 4-6
Some very neat and technical holes that run along a pine row and then into a grove of spaced hard wood trees. It may seem like a pray and poke scenario, but there are lines for the skilled players.

Holes 7-16
Diversity on elevation changes. Shorts, long, up, down. great use of the land. 16 is another elevated shot down at a basket that plays the backside of pond(area) that is in play on hole #1.

Holes 17-18
Finishing up in some massive oaks and rolling hills. The wind can come into play heavy on these holes as well as the branches that seem to guard many lines.

Overall, another park on the edge of being a 4, Signs, multiple tees, pin placements..simple things keep it from being such. BUT this course is a def play and high on my "must play" monthly list.

Nice course, nice layout, left me slightly unfulfilled.

5+    10/31/2011   5/3/2009
This review was updated on 1/7/2012
Pros: 1) Uses the property very well, incorporating the massive pond into #1, the massive elevation change on #1 and #16 make for two really fun tee shots. The dense wooded area on hole #5 and #6 make for some tunnel shots. Hit a tree and shoot to the side will cost you at least 1 stroke because you might not have a lane to the basket and just have to layup to give yourself a putt. #7 and #8 have some character with the baskets set underneath a few large mature trees. Keep your shot low or you will clip some of those branches and shoot straight down to the ground and possibly cost yourself a birdie opportunity. #9 is wide open but long enouhg that only a really big arm can get close enough for an easy birdie. #10 - #13 have some large trees as their only obstacles, and the baskets are placed well to make you think about your shots. #14 -#18 have some elevation changes (With #16 being the most pronounced) and lots of large mature trees again. They each have their own character because #14 goes left, #15 goes right, #16 is way down a hill into a prevailing cross wind, then #17 and #18 both go up hill to baskets set amongst the massive trees.

2) Maintenance looks to be well kept. Baskets at every teebox help with keeping the litter down.

3) Has many of the key ingredients to a solid course with elevation change, challenging basket location, some open ripper holes, some tightly wooded holes, and some holes with a smattering of large mature trees.

4) Fairly beginner friendly because of the genral openness of most holes. Although there are large mature trees beginners don't have to shoot through tons of tunnel shots except on #5. Errant shots will not be punished too severely which can really lead to frustrated beginners.

Cons: 1) Some of the teepads fall off significantly at the edge of the concrete which could be a hazard to some ankles.

2) This overall was a fun course, but for some reason I was left slightly disappointed. I was surprised it was as fun as it was from looking at the course from the road before it opened, but I do think this course has the potential to be better than it is. Add in a couple younger trees maybe to force some more shotmaking, protect some of the baskets on hillside with some boulders or something. Basically I guess I would say I could have imagined a few more unique ideas into this course that would take it up a nothc but it is still a very good course in my opinion, one of the top 10 in the Milwaukee area.

3) Wide open turf areas are filled with weeds and dandelions. Detracts a little from the course in my opinion, because ti would be nice to play on well kept turf instead of weeds. I am a landscaper so I notice things like this that others might not see.

4) Big massive sign out front saying disc golf open or closed but no sign to point you to Tee #1. I ended up starting on #4 and then getting lost at #16 and playing #1, 2, 3, and finishing on #17 and #18.

5) Lots of missing signs and the one on #14 is incorrect because it is not 296. That was the distance before the path went through that area dn the teepad was moved forward. It is probably more like 200.
Other Thoughts: This course surprised me, I went expecting not so much because I had driven in there 3 or 4 times hoping it was open and all I could see were tee areas and all of them seems to be on the edge of the woods so I thought the holes would be very boring. They used the property well and the larger mature trees, the massive pond on #1, and the elevation changes, are what give this course its character I was pleasantly surpised, although I was still left a little unfulfilled. A few more obstacles to challenge me would have gotten this course a 4 rating. The maintenance looks to be pretty well done, except how weedy all of the grass areas are. Maybe Sussex refused to spray herbicides I don't know?!

UPDATE: This course is growing on me more and more. It probably has to do with the fact I am able to throw a little further now, so those longer holes are more fun with a well executed shot. This course just has a little of everything and I am liking the variety more and more. I shot my best -4 the other day and it was a lot of fun!

Good Course

1    8/21/2008   8/26/2008
Review By: big_ck1
Pros: The holes are challenging, and there is a good variety between technical throws, and power throws.
Cons: It was hard to find the first hole, the signage can sometimes be missing or not helpful.
Other Thoughts: I played here for my first round of disc golf ever, and it was challenging for me and my friend. I would recommend it, and I will play it again for sure now that I know where I am going.

Good but not great

7/12/2008   7/13/2008
Review By: -HUC-
This review was updated on 8/2/2008
Pros: This is a mostly open course that features good use of elevation change. If there is any wind it really adds to the difficulty. The course has a clean look and is well maintained. There are bathrooms and a water fountain right on hole 1. Holes 1-3 are very long and are par 4+.These holes are made more challenging by the windy conditions on the course. There are several wooded holes to add some variety. Water does come into play if hole 1 is flooded.
Cons: This course is extremely open. This means on 70% of holes bad tee shots aren't punished. Even if you shank you still have a shot to get up and down. This leads to a deuce or die approach to this course. There is some variety with the wooded holes but the open holes have a similar feel because you can throw whatever shot you want. The course has a very exposed feel and police keep a close eye on disc golfers here. There isn't really much to do in the area, but it is easy to get to. There is only one set of tees and pin placements which takes away from replay value.
Other Thoughts: The highlight of this course are the rolling hills with the added difficulty of playing in the wind. This course is fun and there are some great holes on this course. Unfortunately, it is a little too straight forward to be a top level course.

Worth checking out

6/1/2008   6/1/2008
Review By: TenaciousMV
Pros: Good variety; concrete tee pads; signs at each tee let you know how to find the next hole, provide a map of the hole, and show distance; elevation changes used well; 6+ holes that make you think about your drive and only a couple allow you to mindlessly hurl away; benches; not buggy; even when you're in trouble you should be able to quickly locate your disc; very few holes give you a feeling of deja vu ("I feel like I played a hole just like this 15 minutes ago....")
Cons: Some very 'simple' holes; appears to be popular and may have waits at times; you can stick to your favorite shot off the tee (forehand or backhand) all day and still do well - not forced to push yourself
Other Thoughts: This is a solid course and I'd like to play it again, but it didn't leave me thinking of how I could have played better like an excellent course does. If you're throwing well, there isn't much of a need to think about strategy here. Enough holes reward a good shot to make it enjoyable.

I went with 3 friends and we all had a good time. Very little to complain about here, but there isn't anything that will blow you away. This course is certainly above '2.0 - average' in the fact it presents variety, is clean, is clearly marked, lets you go for a few tricky shots for big rewards, and will throw you a challenge or two. It's not '4.0 - excellent' - all 4 of us agreed on that. There are lots of 'Pros' up there but none of them are extreme. Examples of excellent courses within 20 miles of Village Park are Brown Deer and Dretzka. While this is a fun course that I'd like to come back to, it's not in the same class as those. This course was 'Good.' 3.0.

Recycled ball golf course

8/15/2007   4/12/2008
Review By: FoleyT
Pros: concrete tees, nice variety of open and wooded holes, some very long distances for the big arms, and some finesse shots for the rest of us. lots of elevation changes, beautiful park in what looks to be a recycled 3 par ball golf course in a public park
Cons: some of the distances can be a little daunting, and a few of the holes in the 'pine grove' rely a bit too much on dumb luck
Other Thoughts: a fun course, was recommended to us by local disc golfers at another location, well worth the trip.

1 2 3 Next >