New Hill, NC
Buckhorn DGC Share
Uploaded By: rjmimagery1 Hole #10 (Taken 4/2010)
3 / 120ft.   3 / 216ft.   3 / 285ft.   3 / 285ft. Par / Distance:
View from hole 10, onto the lake.

< Prev 1 2 3
Quality Wooded Course

1    5/22/2012   12/3/2012
Review By: nyrblue2
Pros: 18 hole course set in a wooded, secluded corner of a large park, close to edge of a lake.
- Secluded - Very serene, nice setting in a quiet, wooded, shaded section of woods in a park with many large, mature trees
- Not crowded when I was there (weekday morning), but appeared to be plenty of parking with a short walk to the first hole
- Bulletin board/kiosk for club/league postings as well as warnings about ticks (no course map when I was there - see "other thoughts")
- Navigation was pretty simple, regardless
- Mailbox near tee #1 houses scorecards for the taking
- Benches and trash cans in a few spots
- Solid tee signs showing colored hole map and distance for each tee pad on each hole
- Multiple tee pads on each (most?) hole to a single basket position - allows for variety if you're a frequent player or short tees can be a good intro to wooded courses for newer players
- Concrete tee pads
- Some tight wooded lines create the necessity for precise shots - there's a bunch of everything here - left and right shots - subtle elevation changes that aren't greuling
- Water throw-overs on #9, 10, 11, 17 - nice change-up as these are more open than the rest of the course (well, 17 is still wooded/tight), but still have a lot of risk - #9, 10 and 11 are over the marshy shore line of the big lake, while #17 is over a nasty, funky pond with the pin perched just on the opposite shore
- Nice course maintenance - no trash, well-defined paths, boards over a couple wet spots or ditches, stairs/planks on #15 help get up to the berm, etc.
- Basket #18 brings you right back to the parking lot
- I thought hole #1 was a terrifc opening hole - nice long, wide tunnel with a generous green near some sporadic trees
- Loved hole #8, short little par 3 pitch to a pin perched up rocks with the lake looming close behind with rocks/ditches creating for some interesting footing on your putt if you come up short
Cons: - Only played the long tees, but I remember many of the short tees being along the same lines - I like having the short tees create some new lines or looks
- Decent amount of loose underbrush creates some potential for lost discs - spent about 20 minutes looking for my drive on #4 that hugged the left side a bit too much and didn't make the turn
- Warning for ticks was right on - found 2 crawling on me when I got done
- Course map doesn't show water throwover on hole #9, but it is definitely there
- A lot of people seem to like #15's pin perched right on the edge of the pond - in and of itself, that is fine (like pin #8) - however, I don't like how you have essentially to shoot up a small cliff at the basket (big ditch in front) and anything long you lose in the drink - tough holes are fine, but there is nowhere to truly layup and getting aggressive could cost you a disc - if the area in front of the green was more equal elevation, I think I would like this more
- Maybe there's a reason, but the random roped-off section of OB on hole #18 seemed kind of silly
- Some tee pads aren't as flush with the ground as they could/should be
Other Thoughts: - Can't decide if I like hole #16 or not - short pitch, then 90+ degree left turn to another long "fairway" - definitely unique and forces a precise "drive", but for some reason I felt annoyed not really being able to go in the direction of the pin off the tee
- No course map online or at site when I played, but I now see that a course map has been added to this site. Although it's not overly detailed, I think a map is a must for all top courses
- Nice view out over the lake on holes 8, 9, 10, 11 - somewhat spoiled by the nuclear plant exhaust stack on the other side...
- I believe this park/course actually closes at dark

This was a very nice course that presented some interesting challenges. The woods make you play very precise golf and the holes at the lake and pond create some danger. Definitely a great stop during my visit to the Triangle.

Great course

5+    3/6/2012   8/6/2012
Review By: BraveThrower43
Pros: Two sets of pads that are a good balance. The whites are not overbearing and can make for a funner quick round and the blues will test your game to the max.

There is serious risk reward on this course with several holes that have a fast green or have an OB pond very close to the basket.

The Holes along the lake can be beautiful.

Benches, trashcans and signage are all very nice.
Cons: The Water holes are all pretty much the same shot hyzer with the lake on the right.

18's OB is trivial and seems out of place

This Course has several tweener holes which I never like.

Hole 16 long is a poor design. you throw about 150' to a 90 degree turn then its a 300' tunnel. Not a good hole imo

Lots of chances for lost discs.

No real open hole(guess two water holes might count)
Other Thoughts: Buckhorn is my favorite course in the triangle. It is a very tough layout with several signature holes and pin placements. The course is well worth your time to drive out of your way to play.

1    8/3/2012   8/3/2012
Review By: alecfalzone
Pros: Gorgeous course layout
Very challenging course from the blues
Narrow, but forgiving fairways
High risk/high reward drives off the pads
Course maintenance is noticable
Remoteness of the course, didn't see or hear another person the whole round
Cons: No alternate pins
Some pads are a little rough
Long, but enjoyable walks in between holes
No real "bomb" hole
Other Thoughts: The only real bad thing I can say is that I would have liked to see alternate pins as well as one bomb hole either over water or through a clearing. Definitely the best course I've played in the area!

One of the best in N.C.!

1    6/2/2012   6/3/2012
Review By: 11abush11
Pros: -Amazing risk reward
-Gorgeous land
-Up/down - left/right
:) Water holes
-Alternate tees
-Solid fairways great layout.
-Bathrooms.
-Solid short/long relationship.
Cons: -Tee location doesn't change the lane just usually 30-70 ft behind the whites except for a few holes.
-No alternate pins
-Would have been nice to include a LHBH/RHFH shot near water for balance.
-Too many ace runs.
Other Thoughts: Loved this course. First time out there today all the way from Southern Va. I fell in love with the course and didn't want to leave. I will be back with friends ;).

risk/reward

2-4    3/9/2012   3/15/2012
Review By: TheSkid
Pros: Beautiful course. Lots of chances to throw over water. It's a good course to work on the, very important, mental aspect of throwing. Great to build confidence. OB is marked on many holes. Nice concrete tees and disc catcher baskets make this a wonderful course for solo play or with a small group.
Cons: Many risk reward shots makes it a easy place for new throwers to lose discs. Due to a lack of signage I missed 16 completely the fist time I played.
Other Thoughts: Leave your drivers in your bag. This park can, and I personally think should, be played with mid range and putting discs. I would suggest that all throwers bring at least one "sacrificial" disc for those throws that you want to take but do not want to lose good plastic.

My Home Course

5+    2/2/2012   2/2/2012
Review By: LoPan12
Pros: I love this course, just to put it out there, so I'm a bit biased.
+Wooded technical course, lots of tight lines that force you to pull out all the tricks in your bag.
+Water used to effectively force you to examine your options. Go for it, and risk the plastic loss, or not. The fact of the matter is, that the water isn't hard. It can make you play conservatively (whether on purpose or subconciously). But for the most part, if you step up with confidence in your shot, disc, and line, then there is no issue.
+Drains well! If it rained the day before, or even that morning, boggy morasses are not an issue. There will be a few patches of mud of course, but for the most part, water drainage on this course is excellent, so don't be too concerned with poor weather the past day or two.
+Large open field across the road (by the mountain biking parking) where you can practice bombers and everything else.
Cons: -Not for beginners. Even skipping the water holes leaves you with some frustrating play. Be despite this, I know lots of casual chuckers that enjoy it despite coming out +20 strokes.
-Some blue tees are just silly.
-Doesn't open until 8am. (I get off work at the plant at 6am sometimes, and I REALLY wish I could play it)
Other Thoughts: 10 and 11: Easy huge hyzer with a over/stable disc and you almost can't lose it, even if you're short. Indecently, people looking for open bombers should note that there's nothing over the water...so these are in fact, open to bombing big hyzers....
17: Can you throw a low ceilinged straight and fast 280'? Then do it. No? Practice. Or lay up to the bank and toss the 100' or so over the pond.

Around the Buckhorn

5+    12/10/2011   1/15/2012
Review By: New013
Pros: Buckhorn is one of the best courses in the Triangle area, if not the best. If somebody wanted to know what NC golf is about I'd take them here. It combines a great location with a solid layout and setup to shell out great rounds of disc golf.

It's located in a park on Harris Lake and it's a great atmosphere. It's very secluded and never crowded. It's primarily very wooded with some slightly open holes by the lake.

The signs, baskets and teepads are in good condition, there are signs telling you where to go where it's not obvious. There are benches and trashcans throughout the course. Multiple tees for most of the holes that change the shots and offer different looks.

The layout is very well done. It offers a great mix of shots and creates a very technical course but fair. It uses the water on the course very well. My favorite aspect of the course is that they designed to have a ton of risk reward shots.

Cons: There aren't many but the main drawback is it doesn't incorporate a couple of more open holes to give it more of a mix on hole type. The wooded holes are great but the addition of just one big bomber would make it much better.

Every now and then you run in to non-dg'ers on the course who are up to no good, usually teens but it can be a nuisance. In the summer you might run in to water snakes so be mindful of your surroundings.

Not much elevation to work with on the course but it is what it is.

The one teepad that makes no sense is #16 long (blue). It basically plays 150' up to the short tee (white) then takes a dead left. It's practically impossible to do anything but throw to the shorter tee.
Other Thoughts: Holes that stand out.

#1 - it's a great starter hole. wider fairway than most of the course, beautiful fairway, gets you in the mood for the round.

#3 - Biggest elevation change on the course, drops down in to a valley and comes back up a bit. Multiple routes on this one.

#4 - Longest hole at 486 feet. Big tight dog leg, you have to start off with a solid drive to score well.

#6 - Another long dogleg from the blue tee which doubles the length of the hole in comparison to the whites. Creates a really difficult drive that you have to land accurately to setup an approach shot.

#8 - It's a short dinky downhill hole right towards the lake where the basket sits on the shoreline. Looks great and puts a fear in you that makes you not want to go for it.

#10 - The blue tee gives you a shot across a cove, another great looking hole.

#11 - This one runs along the shoreline, you have to basically go out over the water and bring it back in right to left to where the basket sits. One of the funnest holes on the course

#12 - Great looking hole that's slightly uphill, past two large trees that make an X. It curves hard left to right then goes back up again a bit. Fun anny hole for righties.

#15 - Huge risk reward hole. The basket sits right on the edge of a pond retention wall. If you go for it and miss you're in the drink.

#17 - The signature hole in my opinion. Long hole that goes slightly down through a tunnel where you need to keep it low where it opens up to the pond which you must cross to hit a sloped bank where the basket sits about 30' from the water.

Not many people can make it across and not many dare.

Awesome Course!

2-4    12/22/2011   12/26/2011
Review By: pkbeast
Pros: This course was just breathtaking. From the awesomely different from our pine forest area topography including many hardwoods and rock formation to the lake and the Nuclear power plant behind some of the most scenic greens I have ever played.

Awesome parking, nice sign and maps, scorecards and trash cans!

Front nine were nice and wooded, a few big holes with large doglegs in them from the pros but very manageable from the Am tees! The back nine open up a little bit along the lake inlets with some nice big hyzer bombs out over the lake then back to land. For me the pro tees here were an easier shot than the Ams.. thats just me! Coming up on 15-18 there are some awesome elevation changes with my favorite hole having the basket be about 20-30 feet straight up at the top of a retaining wall for a little lagoon with VERY little working room if you over shot the basket! AWESOME course!
Cons: The cons here have to do with the locals, not the course. We played past 2 guys out there (the only other people we saw ALL day) we said hey and merry Xmas and all that, they wished us a happy game and we played on. I chucked a disc into the lagoon coming down on 17 and we decided to play to 18 and find a stick to come back and get it out. while we were walking back with a stick we passed the locals. by the time we got back to the lagoon they had walked threw the chest high semi toxic pond and taken not only my disc, but a bunch of others. I would have been fine with it if they had called me, but they didnt so i assume they called no one else either. They were driving a dark-lime-ish jeep cherokee (mid 90s) if your a local too and know these squids kick them in the balls for me.
Other Thoughts: Great course, but get your disc when it hits the water if theres others out there playing!

Free donuts.

1    8/20/2011   8/20/2011
Review By: Connor Jones
Pros: Now that I've lured you in with sugary treats,let me begin by saying this course was seriously awesome,I'm just going to start listing why now.

- Awesome mix of holes,seriously,just come here and play this course.
- A nice solid blend of finesse shots + water meant fun shots off the tee,including an ace run for me.
- Almost the entire course is in the woods,so there's shade pretty much the whole round,which is nice in the southern heat.
- I think there was almost a bench on every single hole,which is always nice.
- I really enjoyed the teepads,they were a bit more narrow than what I'm used to,but they were all very long,which is always a huge plus in my book.
Cons: - Depending on what you're used to,you can't really let a disc rip here,there was maybe two holes where I really aired one out,but this wasn't a major con for me.
- Not that big of a deal,but I don't remember there being any trashcans,so just take out what you bring in.
Other Thoughts: I'm really bad at pros and cons so i'm just going to get in depth here.

Buckhorn is a tough course,but fair,you can probably play the whole course with a putter and a mid,I think I did do just that for over 85% of my shots.

I think they said the course was designed by a lefty,and you can definitely tell,there are some holes that are righty friendly,but at least 65% of them you're going to be wanting to throw a forehand,or be a lefty.

I can definitely see how some of the water holes could be extremely challenging,you're throwing over a pretty large lake,and fortunately the wind was very mild,but on a gustier day I can imagine it being near impossible to get really close off the tee.

I wish there was maybe one or two more holes where you can air one out,I think if they were well designed that would bump the course up to a 4.5 for me,but regardless,we still had a great time,definitely make sure to check this one out.

Tough, but Fair

1    9/5/2010   9/5/2010
Review By: DiscJunkie
Pros: Challenging course that demands accuracy and distance. Blue, White and Red tees for different levels of skill. Fairways are not wide, but they are wide enough to give you a line. They twist and turn somewhat, so this is a great place to work on your thumber and hammer. Permanent concrete tees and Hole signs.
Cons: Not really a con to some people, but lots of ways to lose your discs on this course. The woods off of the fairway can get disc hungry. The forest floor is very loose. Discs can slide out of sight quickly. I probably don't need to mention the water, but it bears mentioning that the water comes into play on about a third of the holes. Park regulations prohibit fishing your disc out of the lake, I believe.
Other Thoughts: This a fair but challenging course that has all Par 3's on the signs, but a few of them are honest Par 4's or even 5's. I had a lot of fun, especially when I kept the disc in the fairway. Good Risk/Reward. Good mixture of short and very long. Most holes would reward conservative play with a par, but risks were in order for the occasional deuce. There are no facilities for the wives or kids. no playground or bathrooms at the course entrance. A little hard to find. Course navigation was adequate. Occasionally, there are long transitions to the next tee. No practice basket. Bring your A-game, you'll need it.

< Prev 1 2 3