DeWitt, IA
West Brook Park Share
Uploaded By: redbird88 Hole #3

Comparable to some of the best in the Quad Cities

1    8/28/2010   8/30/2010
Pros: 1) Kiosk at the entrance to the course. Nice to see something so nicely built as a billboard for the course and the sport.

2) Good signs with distance layout and par listed.

3) Discatchers in good condition.

4) Nice concrete tees are always a welcome sight. They are large and have good traction.

5) This course has an awesome variety. There are some holes with water, some with dense woods, some more open prairie holes with punishing roughs along the fairways.

6) Some directional signs are used to help you navigate and they are a welcome sight because there are a lot of little paths mowed into the turf as well as the walking path which is arbitrarily your route to a few of the holes.

7) Pond on 17 is really kindof cool because the basket is tucked about 15' over the edge of the pond. Granted it is a pretty short hole, it still makes for an interesting shot.

8) River comes into play on 5, 7, and 18. The forced carry isn't too long for a beginner, but if you clip a tree branch you might end up int he water. I love traversing rivers and ponds with my throws.

9)The woods are tight in spots but are not so punishing that it brings too much luck into play.

10) The required shot shaping is adequate because you are forced to throw some hyzers and some annys or flicks. There are trees to navigate but you can also select the shot you want to throw based upon the arsenal you bring to the table.

11) Fairly beginner friendly. Challenging but also forgiving in many areas for the beginner to learn the course.
Cons: 1) While I appreciate the directional signs, there are 3 or 4 places I would have put more signage. I did get turned around a couple time when they sent me down the walkpath.

2) Maintenance on this course seems to be adequate, but there are a few trouble areas ont he course that could use more attention from time to time. There are some erosion issues on a few of the wooded holes.

3) The only thing this course really lacks is elevation change. There is very little change in elevation throughout the entire course, but the first few are set in a low grassy area. Then a few in some low woodlands, then up to the prairie areas for the remainder. I can't fault the course for not having elevation it is simply what the property has, but I like to see some of everything in a top rated course.

3) Holes #10-16 are really boring and repetetive. You just go back and forth up and down the mild hill. While it is a positive in the overall variety, it is a negative that 7 holes in a row are virtually the same.

4) There are a few areas where there are significant walks. I got lost on a couple of these but if you pay attention you might be able to figure out where you are. You switch directions a lot however, so it can be confusing. The long walks made me second guess my direction a couple times.
Other Thoughts: This is a really well designed course. It has almost everything I like ina course except the elevation changes. Sure there are moderate changes in elevation but I really like a throw or two off a big hill. I especially like throwing those shots int he woods. Other than that, this course had just about everything. I was surprised to see such a well done course in this area and was pleasantly surprised. I had a lot of fun on this course which ended up being my 5th course of a 20 course road trip weekend. All in all solid course missing only some elevation and maybe a little bit of signage and some maintenance in a few areas. They used the property very well as I stated but the back 9 got a little boring and repetetive. I really enjoyed myself despite these flaws and for that reason I am going to give this a solid 3.5 rating. It doesn't quite live up to a 4 rating in my opinion, but if the signage was added and some of the trouble maintenance areas had been improved it would be really close. I know they are limited in my opinion based on the property so it couldn't get any better than a 4.

variety...the spice of dg

1    11/28/2009   11/30/2009
Review By: hognosesucker
Pros: -A variety of course "sections" here, there is a meadow/city park section, a wooded section, and a 'fairways cut out of rough' or 'monster' section a la tallpaul.
-Also a lot of shot variety. Straight shots, rhbh hyzers, both tight and natural, anhyzers and flicks.
-Nice, huge concrete pads here. 5x12?nice rough surface for traction.
-Two water holes and two elevation holes which added to the variety here.
-good mix of distances, some shorty must birdies (about 6 or so) along with some beastly long, punishing holes (about 6) were you are just looking for a three and hoping they end soon. And the rest are normal. Overall range from 170 to 500+.
-Navigation could have been hairy , but it wasn't due to nice directional signs after holes.
Cons: -2 holes had no concrete, 6 and 8 and it seems unlikely that concrete will be installed b/c of access limitations. Hole 8's tee area seemed to be getting washed out a bit from the creek.
-A couple of multiuse tee pads on the walking trail, 5 and 17. Just be courteous and let walkers by.
-Although the variety is great, the 6 monster type holes in a row got a bit overwhelming by the end of 16.
Other Thoughts: Overall, one of the better courses in the area, combine this with Clinton's Eagle Point (about 25 min from here), and skip the other area courses for a great time.

2/3 short; 11-16 "monster" section

1    8/23/2009   9/21/2009
Review By: tallpaul
Pros: 12 foot long concrete tees; rather rare for this area to have concrete tees at all; much less 12 foot long
Lots of good holes; most with challenging distance; and requiring all shots
#5 a short one; but interesting; elevated tee across creek #3 also good shot across same creek
#6 blind downhill heiser (rhbh). Only 193; but blind shot and woods makes for a good shot.
#7 creek again in play; must go over halfway down fairway
#8 short, but EXTREME heiser (rhbh)
#9, tight fairway first half, to an uphill, left finish
#s 11-16 all have brutally narrow fairways with heavy schule to the sides. I took a lot of strokes through this section and was simply trying to stay upbeat.
This section reminded me greatly of many hole on the monster course at kennsigton metro park, ann arbor michigan; which is extremely highly regarded. (Kicks your butt much the same as here)
#s 17 and 18 are birdie holes for a little relief. 17 across Frog Pond; which was only a little standing water when we were there. 18 another shot across creek. Only 210 ft., but plays longer cause it's anny (rhbh).
Cons: Not really a con; but a tough section is TOUGH. Beat me up and forced me to keep my cool. Many players should choose a mid range and just try to stay on fairway. Schule is thick; be prepared to do some searching.
There are few dirt tees still on this course. The elevated tee on #5 is kind of dangerous.
Other Thoughts: I would say this course does a very good job of testing you with both yardage and accuracy on most holes; while also granting 7 holes, not much over 200 feet, to allow for moving in a scoring direction you would like.
Some good water holes here, greatly add to charm.

West Brook Park Review

2/26/2008   2/26/2008
Review By: Dahminator
Pros: Very fun course. I went in March 07, and from what I can remember, the back 9 consists of VERY long holes in open field-type areas. The front 9 is mostly wooded areas.
Cons: It was difficult at first to tell where holes were (in order) and basically understand the whole "map" of the park.
Other Thoughts: There's a hole where you throw downhill across the creek. I thought it was pretty interesting