Salem, OR
Corban University Share
Uploaded By: JMONEY Hole #4 (Taken 1/2011)
3 / 300ft.   3 / --   3 / --   3 / -- Par / Distance:

Easy and Varied

2-4    8/21/2013   8/28/2013
Review By: Rusty Shackleford
Pros: Variety. Each hole is unique.

Great for beginners. Mostly short and easy fairways.

Free

Good signage.

This is a good place to throw a quick nine. It plays fast, but it doesn't have that 'every hole is the same' feel that some small 9 holes have.
Cons: Easy. Real easy.

#6 and #8 are just silly. They're crammed into too small of a space.

#7 is listed as a par 4 and it's probably the easiest par 4 in North America.

Tees are a mixed bag. Some are on pavement, some are on uneven dirt.
Other Thoughts: It's great that the students have this course. If it was in my backyard I would probably play it all the time.

If you're playing in this area I'd play Woodmansee instead, or Gateway, or Keizer Rapids. I end up playing Corban when I can't decide where to go and realize I haven't been to Corban in awhile, then after the round I wonder what I was doing there.

It's a shame because it seems like the college has plenty of unused land that could be used to extend the holes out to a really nice 9 (or more).

Good, Bad And The Ugly

1    7/6/2011   7/10/2011
Review By: sillybizz
This review was updated on 8/31/2011
Pros: Corban College shows flashes of brilliance in some spots and epic face palming in other spots. Holes one and two are nice short par three holes for you to warm up on with hole one being a slight downhill hyzer with trouble stickers if your discs doesn't have enough hyzer or travels too far. Hole two is another short hole with a fast area around the basket that can make our disc skip far away, even into the road which I'm assuming is played as out of bounds. Hole five is a really good long par three hole that even advanced players are going to have a hard time getting a two on. The last couple of holes have more trees involved and even a small mushy area that acts as a water hazard for hole seven.
Cons: Holes three and four are where the failure is in this place. Hole three is a crazy 400 foot throw that you are using the road (and concrete) as your fairway and a hyzer is going to be hitting a building. The only logical throw on this hole is a roller as it will roll forever on the road and hit the curb and bounce over. Fun but dangerous for many different reasons. While I was playing the campus security were making their rounds and I felt extremely uncomfortable throwing this hole. Hole four is a crazy horseshoe shaped hole (at least being shown on the tee sign as the route they want you to take) that dangerously throws down the road again and could hit oncoming traffic. Also there is no real good route to this hole on the right side and my only option was a FH flick skip off the pavement down the road. This is one of the most interesting and unique holes I have ever seen but not in a good way.
Other Thoughts: I played this course when school was out and no one was really around but I can imagine during the school year when students are walking about it makes it impossible to play and with the risk of hitting cars and/or buildings anyways combined with dangerous hole design you would want to skip it. I did find most of the holes on this course to be fun but not too challenging, with the exception of five which was hard to reach for me with the natural tee pad.

Extremely pleasant, not terribly interesting.

1    5/26/2010   5/26/2010
Review By: radsnowsurfer
Pros: Nice tee signs with accompanying directional markers make navigation very easy.
A few holes feature interesting layouts.
Some elevation present, most notably on holes 1 and 4.
Hole 5 is an excellent long par 3.
Course is maintained well, very family friendly environment.

Cons: Hole 3 features 400 feet of concrete with almost no other flight option.
Numerous holes have a danger of smashing concrete.
About half of the holes are very short and the course overall wouldn't challenge most experienced players.
During the school year, crowds and pedestrians would be an issue as the course weaves very close to a number of school buildings.
Old baskets don't catch particularly well.
Course is a bit tricky to find on campus.
Other Thoughts: Corban college seems to define pleasant disc golf, and that vibe was consistent around the course. Only a few holes have significant obstacles between you and the basket and only 2 holes seemed to be particularly challenging. Honestly, I rather enjoyed hole 3, with its 400 feet of concrete but I know a lot of golfers who would opt to skip a hole that pretty much forces you to hit concrete. What I will say for the course is that as a beginner level course, I admired the ease of navigation and a few of the holes that had some tricky pin positions, for folks in the college I could see this as a fun day-to-day practice course, for more serious players, it's not worth a stop off I-5 and I would recommend playing Cascades Gateway or Woodmansee first.

Fun Little College Course!

8/2/2003   3/3/2008
Pros: This course winds it's way around this little Christian college. It's short, not too technical, but all in all, a enjoyable little course. There's a bit of elevation change, a couple of clever holes and many backberry bushes. The course is fairly well thought out.
Cons: There aren't any holes to really air it out on. It's not Pier Park or McIver but most courses aren't.
Other Thoughts: It's just off I-5 for easy access. I played it when the college was still called Western Baptist.