Quakertown, PA
Nockamixon State Park Share
Uploaded By: zapplayer12 Hole #10 (Taken 5/2009)
Hole #1 A Basket to Tee

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Pennsylvania Heaven

1    6/9/2014   10/7/2014
Review By: New013
Pros: Nockamixon is one of those courses you hear about; it's one of those courses you take time to just scroll through the pictures and imagine being there. I probably watched the DGM videos five times the week before we took our trip up to play.

It has this lore about it that you get not only from this website but from personal stories of others who have played it. It's one of those places you ask people about and they get this look in their eye as they remember and instead of busting in to every great detail they just say.. "you absolutely have to go there, it's that amazing."

Now I'm one of those people. We played great course after great course on that trip and the one I tell people they just have to go play is Nockamixon.

It all starts with the location, you can not find many better places to put a disc golf course than Nockamixon State Park. As you play through the round you hit an array of environments. There's the rocky forest areas near the pond and where the creek is flowing through. Then you hit elevation changes and wind on through to a more grassy side with sparse trees. Now the trees are scaling back to a more open field and right when you're thinking 'wow can this place be any more beautiful' you get all the way out to the basket on 6. That's when you know it, that's when you realize everything you heard about Nockamixon doesn't even come close to the reality of it. It is that amazing, and you do absolutely need to see it, to play it for yourself.

After that it gets better... yeah. You get a few more open type holes, including one giant bomb off a hill, then you're back in to forest beauty. More holes that wind with the creek and mix in rocky fairways with undulating elevation changes. The scenery within itself, the platform the course dances on is everything you could ask for. Then there's the course itself and yes, it measures up to the expectations in every single way.

If you want a true test of your disc golf skills Nockamixon is that in perhaps the most pure form I've yet to see. There's no tricks, no gimmicks; it's just hole after hole of challenge that uses almost every type of landscape feature a disc golf course can have at it's disposal.

You have long bending fairways that make you work a disc over hundreds of feet and control every twist and turn of its flight the entire way. You have shots where you need to hit gaps at varying distances and shots you need to hit a spot to set yourself up for the next shot.

The par 4/5's here are spectacular in design. Not being on point with every shot leaves you scrambling and wondering what kind of shot you're going to need to get back on pace. Now with all that taken in to account remember a lot of these fairways are so rocky you have no real runup.

There's multiple fairways and options on top of options on how to play each hole. The key is knowing what to throw and when to throw it; where you need to land to proceed, how far short or long of the basket can you be.

The greens here are definitely the best I've ever seen. There's island greens, protected greens, fast greens, hidden greens... and some that incorporate multiple variations.

As you play through the course it just amps up the round and never takes its foot off the accelerator. At no point do you think well this doesn't measure up; the course builds upon itself in a way not many courses do.

Now with all of that in consideration remember this.. Nockamixon is incredibly fun. It's a shot shapers dream, with all of the challenge present the ability to be creative and at times just stop and enjoy the experience is the best part of it.

I love this course if you haven't figured it out by now. Out of all the courses we played and even the ones I have ranked higher it's the one I want to bring other people to and just see them experience what I experienced.

Equipment - Rubber pads, baskets in good shape. Great tee and directional signage. Map of the course at the beginning plus the course flows well and comes back to the parking lot at the middle.
Cons: Yeah there's not multiple pads that some of the other top courses in the area have; and yes it doesn't have a a bunch of alternate pin positions like those others have as well.

... though to me why would you want to play any other layout but the one put in? if you want a shorter and sanitized version just go somewhere else.

The rocks can be dangerous if you're not careful; I have no problem with their effect on the play of the course just keep in mind to be safe.

All things considered I wish they could of at least managed one shot over the pond in some way.
Other Thoughts: Can they just go ahead and put another course in at this park?

My last note is that the design of this course is aimed at more skilled players, if you lack accuracy over distance you will have a hard time playing many of the holes. Also remember it is a long and sometimes hard walk.

Having said that I think the sheer atmosphere of the park will make up for the difficulty some might experience in playing the course. Party on Garth.

World Class

5+    10/1/2013   9/8/2014
Review By: JerseyDevilDiscs
Pros: Nockamixon is the most balanced course I've played thus far. Some aspects that attribute to this are:

*Fairways. The best wooded fairways I've ever played. Clean, clear, multiple routes, and fair treatment for errant shots into the rough. Room to work fairway drivers off the tee and on upshots (In comparison, I typically use putter/mid combos at Tyler C's or Greystone Woods). The ability to use fairway drivers effectively in the woods helps manage the added distance on Gold Level tees. The rock and boulder fields add to the aura and provide unique shot opportunities.

*Elevation Change. Steep grades both downhill and up. Not only elevation challenge off the tee, but also mid-fairway and around greens. Only 3 "flat" holes.

*Par 4 Dominant. 10 Par 4's, only 6 Par 3's.

*Water. In play on 9 holes, and placed well in relation to landing zones. The lake in the park is gorgeous; viewing it from Hole 6 & 7 is very cool.

*Signature Holes. Every holes is memorable and unique. Defined Front and Back 9 that begin and finish at the parking lot.

*Baskets. Mach IIIs fit this course nicely.

*Flymats were good, even wet. Teesigns were attractive and informative.

*Bathrooms are located at Holes 1 & 10.
Cons: The only thing I wish Nocki had is 1 more Par 5.
Other Thoughts: When I wish to gauge my game, I come here. Nocki is truly special.

Mixon' it Up! 'Nocky Rocks!

1    8/18/2014   9/8/2014
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Nockamixon is taking me somewhere I have never gone. The 5 star rating. At last! What a scenic, and challenging disc golf course. I'm strongly considering moving to the area just for the disc golf. There is hole after hole that will keep you on your toes, while letting you show every skill you can muster on a course. There are wooded, rocky fairways. Grassy fairways with many mature trees, big down hill bombs, catwalks, ridges, boulders, water, climbs, rolls and all other manners of flying disc obstacles. Each hole has a distinct flavor, though it may share characteristics and themes to the ones before and after it. The area near the pond where hole 1 and 10 tees are located will quickly show you the natural beauty of the park. 1 warms you up to one of the common features of many holes here, length. There are also a fair amount of trees, and rocky earth around the "green", with the pond a ways to the right. 2 is long and grassy with the unusual green walled in, and elevated slightly above its surroundings. Made a great approach barely clearing the wall, and hit the putt for my only birdie on the front 9. 3 is a long dogleg right with extremely rocky fairway. One of the courses original designers and caretakers was weed eating there. Keep up the great work my man! 4 is one of two holes measuring around 250, and requires hitting a gap between trees half way, and clearing a stony wall to the green area. I missed the gap, but save a par. 5 is very long, grassy with scattered mature trees. 6 is a really fun drive out of a few trees, down an open hillside. Masts of boats peak out of the marina from the water at the bottom. I brushed a tree branch with my drive, and blew the upshot, then two putted for a bogey. If you like 6, you'll love 7. Longer, and with a bigger drop in elevation. Can't help but throw an extra shot here. 8 is back up the hill, with trees at the top protecting the basket. 9 takes you back to the parking area on a 730 footer downhill on a more gradual slope. I was hanging tough at 1 over par after 9 holes, and made a 5 for par on the courses longest hole, the 821 foot hole 10. 11 is where I began to lose my touch. Another long hole where the target is behind a wall of stone, I three putted for a double bogey. 12 is the second shortest hole, and I threw a good drive up the hill, converting the putt for my only deuce on the round. 13 is along a catwalk, dropping considerably downhill to the entire right side of the fairway. I showed less than perfect control, and took another double bogey. 14 is down the hill, with the basket on the bank of the creek at the bottom. 15 is on the opposite side of the creek, long and wooded. on 16, I bonked a tree with my teeshot, but had a decent look at the approach. The basket is not visible though, across an outcropping of rocks, and in a low spot near the creek again. I lost a disc on my second shot, and couldn't make putts either, carding a circle 6 on the par 3 eventually. The search for my red, star Excaliber took a lot out of me and I limped in taking bogey 5's on hole 17 and 18. Don't miss left on 17, it gets mucky over there. 18 is long again, very rocky and uphill dogleg right. Excellent but tough finishing hole. 8 over on the back nine, and 9 over 76 all together. I loved this layout, but it really got the best of me toward the end. The tees were concrete, the signs were hand painted and pretty cool, and the baskets were in good condition. The maps I printed were good, but the course isn't to hard to follow without one. Painted rung in the basket points the general direction of the next tee.
Cons: Limited in versatility compared to other parks boasting more tees, pin positions, or dual baskets. Lost the disc on 16, stepped in mud, upset loud flying insects and knocked out about 20 spider webs searching. Long course totaling over 8900 feet, a legit par 67 that will beat down novice players. Leash rule gets Charley yet again. Too bad, buddy.
Other Thoughts: Nockamixon is awesome. That is the bottom line. A fella mowing on the fairway of 5 knew a few of the same guys I do. I think his name was Steve, and he said he moved to the Quakertown area because of this course. Good move if you consider Nocky', as well as many other stellar courses in the region. It may not be perfect, but it's as close as I've seen so far. The critics agree, 4.5 out of 5 at least. An instant favorite for me.

The Pebble Beach of Disc Golf

2-4    8/31/2014   9/2/2014
Review By: jchoate7
This review was updated on 9/4/2014
Pros: Let me start out by saying that this course really lives up to it's word and more. Aesthetically this course puts other courses to shame. This is a champion level course not for the feint of heart.

The biggest pro to this course for me would be the diversity found on the course; wooded, open, mixed, uphill, downhill, flat. It can all be found at Nockamixon. Because of the diversity found along the course no two holes feel the same. Each hole here could easily be a signature hole, especially holes 6 and 7 overlooking the marina. The diversity of the course will also make you pull every shot out of your bag throughout your round of 18; backhand, forehand, thumber, tomahawk, roller, etc.

On the wooded holes the course doesn't have those ridiculous tight fairways that some wooded courses fall victim to.

Another thing I like about this course is the rough. I mean I hate being in the rough but I like how the rough here punishes and forces a smart shot out of it without the high possibility of losing a disc.

A lot of people overlook this when designing a course but I really like how there are two distinct 9 hole loops. Allows you to stop at your car or the bathroom facilities halfway through the round if you need to.

Navigation for the most part was a cinch and there was never any long ridiculous walk from the hole to the next tee pad. The tee pads aren't too close either to the last hole causing a possible danger of getting hit by a disc.
Cons: I personally do not like the rubber flypad tee pads, I prefer raked concrete. Also the lack of alternate tee pads. Having alternate tees would be great, especially for tournaments with a spread of different divisions.

Footing here can be a pain in the a..(nkle)! Lots of rocks and boulders everywhere making some of your shots forced standstills.
Other Thoughts: Overall this course is a true championship level course in not just difficulty but also in beauty. What sucks is this course is 2 hours away from me, I really wish it was closer as this is, hands down, my favorite course.

Not only is there disc golf at Nockamixon State Park but after the round you can check out the other facilities the park has to offer. The park offers, hiking, biking, camping, fishing, boating, swimming, fishing, horseback riding etc.

okay course

2-4    8/10/2014   8/10/2014
Review By: cmjar
Pros: nice scenery cool throws great for high level players
Cons: quite a few problems it takes 2 and a half just to play and an hour of that is looking for discs a lot of the holes are long and frustrating the average hole is 450 or higher so unless you have a gun like David Feldberg and accuracy you would be happy
Other Thoughts: need more shorter holes because when you shoot 90 you just want to quit and go to covered bridges or south mountain to make you feel better about yourself

a course for titans

5+    5/26/2014   5/26/2014
Review By: mmblink86
Pros: located in one of the greatest disc golf settings i've played. well maintained with restrooms, flymats, great new tee signs, mach IIIs. many signature holes, variety in elevation and terrain. very fair and workable fairways for being a heavily wooded course. tests physical and mental endurance.
Cons: cannot think of any. i don't consider things like rocky conditions or no trashcans course cons.
Other Thoughts: as a side note, when i play nocky, it feels like i'm playing disc golf on sports champion. the best course in the region, hands down.

Best Course I've Ever Seen

5+    9/13/2013   9/19/2013
Review By: patlgn
Pros: Full disclosure- This is one of the closest courses to my house and I learned to play disc golf here. So my opinion may be biased, but I prefer to think this just makes me more of an expert on the course.

Let me just start by saying- the course is AMAZING. The closest to a challenging course of ball golf I've ever come across- after playing for 5 years on 15+ courses. I've heard it called the "Pebble Beach" of disc golf, and that is correct. It's long, varied, sometimes quite difficult, and always interesting. Not a single hole seems like filler, and several of them could easily be signature holes on lesser courses. (2, 6, 7, 8, 13, 14, and 16 come to mind, though I'm sure you could make cases for others as well)

In addition to this being a great course, it is also set in a beautiful state park. The front 9 plays along a huge hill with amazing views of Lake Nockamixon- especially the basket on hole 6. The back 9 is set back in the woods and by itself could be a great nature hike.

Tees- usually pretty well maintained. Some bumps/uneven patches, but generally very solid. Maps provide decent views of holes and give good info. No complaints.

Fairways- often long, sometimes narrow, but always fair. Despite Nockamixon's difficult reputation, I think the fairways are usually pretty open as long as you keep your discs low and take your time. There are definitely holes where the trees can be infuriating (#3 for example), but there is always a workable alley through them. This is not one of those courses where the difficulty comes from a designer that thought it would be a good idea to leave 40 trees between you and the basket. There is always a viable means of getting through- if you can't then you'll just have to swallow it. tl;dnr- difficult but fair

Rough- if you don't manage to stay in the fairways, there is a variety of obstacles ready to eat up your discs. For most holes, this would include some bushes, high grass, or trees- I find it's usually pretty easy to find your disc as long as you pay attention when it lands. The real trouble comes with the boulder fields in the woods. If you can, play with a spotter to help see where discs land on these holes (16 and 17 especially). If your disc lands in there and you don't have a good idea of where it went down, you could be searching for quite a while.

Diversity- this is the best part about nockamixon. There is every type of elevation change you can imagine. There are tees on pedestals, in (relatively) open areas, hanging from baskets, next to streams, and on the edges of steep hills. Some fairways are long corridors with trees or cliffs on either side, while others allow for open shots over trees, down hills, and across fields. Some holes are monsters (well over 700 feet), while others are short but tricky (there is one hole that allows legit ace runs- you'll have to play to find out). All of these differences keep you on your toes. And while it adds difficulty, pars and the occasional birdie are always options for adequate players.
Cons: Lots of rocks. Makes fairway run-ups difficult or impossible at times.
Other Thoughts: The key is to take your time, figure out your lines, and stick to them. Keep it fair, while still getting some distance, and you'll be fine.

Sticks and Stones....and Rocks!

2-4    9/4/2013   9/9/2013
Review By: Fishfood
Pros: I've enjoyed my rounds at Nock. My initial impression was it was crudely designed and built when I first played it several years ago. Time went by and took another crack at her. What a gem! As I played hole after hole, I was reminded of the beauty within....great mixture of terrain that challenges many aspects of your game. Some holes have multiple pin placements...check the info board for that intel. The amount of rocky terrain brings a new obstacle to the game...no extra distance on the skip and if it hits the ground hard..look for the ricochet. Not going to go into specific holes...but I loved the back nine, especially 14, 16 and 18. Just alot of fun.
Cons: The rocky sections...be careful where you step..had a few mis-steps and some difficult lies to get a halfway decent footing for a shot.
Signs were o.k., not very informational for the first round...after that, not really necessary.
Other Thoughts: Tyler is my home course, so I'm used to what a good disc golf course should play like. Nockamixon really shines as an all around excellent 18 holes of challenging fun! Put this one on your must do list...and do it!

One of the Best

1    5/5/2013   9/4/2013
Review By: aPfaff
Pros: -A very difficult course even for top pros
-Rubber Tee Pads
-Great signage and next tee indicators
-Has pretty decent baskets
-Grass was mowed
-Elevation Changes
-I liked how shots required distance and accuracy
-good mix of par 3's,4's and a 5
- Fair Fairways (number 3 is iffy)
-Very scenic with the creek and lake
Cons: -I didn't care for the OB on two before the green, but it didn't really mind it.
-So far away in the middle of nowhere.
Other Thoughts: A lot of people complain about the rocks and boulders on this course. Having rocks teaches you to throw standstills and lets you experience different shots that you are used too.

Nocky - 2005 Worlds Toughest Course

5+    5/13/2010   7/16/2013
Review By: crispy13fsw
Pros: One of the top courses on the east coast. Period. Lots of signature holes, tests all levels of players. Was happy to volunteer on this course in 2005 for the Worlds and top players in disc golf agree.
Cons: None

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7