Newark, DE

< Prev 1 2 3
worth playing

1    9/3/2014   9/3/2014
Review By: pineappaloupe
Pros: Easy access, quick to play, fair holes, maintained fairway, vegetation maintained such that you can find discs in trouble spots. The course makes use of subtle elevation changes and trees very well, the course is all about shot shaping. I've played other courses in the area, and this one had no thorn bushes. Tall grass 'rough' areas were not disc eaters. For a short course it plays very well. Every hole is interesting, a few nice dog legs. Plays very neutral, making RHBH throwers use anhyzers and a few holes are mandatory forehands. I played with a lefty and they were able to throw backhand a lot. I threw a Buzz on 3/4 of the holes. There is a great warm up field on the right side of the parking area.
Cons: I threw a Buzzz on 3/4 of the holes. Most of the tee pads were terribly sloped, downhill, uphill, even a few side slope. But it is a short course so just stand and deliver. Signage between holes is lacking (as it is on my local courses)/
Other Thoughts: I gave it a 3 because I have never played a 5 star course, and my local courses are solid 4's. Even if you are out of state and pay $6, it is worth it if you need to get out there and throw discs. I met up with some locals, they were friendly. I will definitely play it again and if I lived in the area I would be very happy to have this course nearby and would volunteer to build them some level teepads. Beginner friendly and more experienced players can rip putters and midranges and go for finesse birdies. Well done White Clay Creek. In general Delaware State Parks are good.

Nice course

2-4    6/28/2014   7/13/2014
Review By: argo_yamato
Pros: Good signage at each tee pad
Fairways were mowed
Decent amount of shade
Nice park setting
Cons: Navigation was a bit difficult. I was not always quite sure where to go to the next tee pad. This was especially true between basket 3 and tee pad 4.
Other Thoughts: I really liked this course. It is short and fairly open with no tricky tunnel shots. This makes it great for newer players or kids.

The rough can get a bit high but most of it is just really tall grass, not nearly as thorny as some other local courses.

Park in the lot off of 896 and grab one of the first parking spots you can find. The first tee pad is down a gravel trail a bit and you cannot see it from the parking lot.

Bug spray would help in the summer.

Great Course

1    4/18/2014   4/18/2014
Review By: sqorbit
Pros: New(er) baskets. Nice Park. Great signage on the tee pads. Tee pads are in good condition.

I played with my 11yr old daughter and had a great time. Holes are laid out well using trees and bushes as obstacles. Uphill shots and some holes setup with harder angles add variety. Highly recommend this course for a beginner, relaxing round or a family. I actually pulled some discs out of my bag (ex. Skeeter) that I rarely use since the holes are shorter distance than others in the area.
Cons: Par 3's. If you are out looking to test our your arm or aiming for long drives this is not the course for you. I really didn't find this as much of a problem though. No water and not a ton of variety from hole to hole. $6 out of state.
Other Thoughts: This is a great course to play after a long winter of not playing. It was perfect for my younger daughter who doesn't have a good distance throw. Park was very nice also.

Just A Comfortable, Shaded Recreational Length Course!

1    7/16/2013   8/19/2013
This review was updated on 4/18/2014
Pros: Compared to two of the longer, tougher, more challenging courses nearby, Iron Hill and Brandywine Creek, White Clay State park DGC is a walk in the park. It's was a pleasant experience on a warm Delaware day as much of the course is shaded. This is a lovely park in which to spend part of your day.

The course features concrete pads, a kiosk at the beginning and many of the holes have two baskets.

I was able to navigation the course playing by myself the first time through without any problems.

Holes 3 featured an interesting elevated basket position.

I really enjoyed the two finishing holes.

For me, and probably many others, # 17 ranks as the signature hole on the course. You throw from a very cool elevated tee pad position. A straight drive can put you in position to birdie the hole.

And then you finish with # 18. It's just a short (210') ACE run. Makes you feel good about your game.
Cons: $6 for out of state plates. I guess this might keep some of the riff-raff out. Probably helps keep the crowds down on busier days as well.

The recreational length might discourage some of you more serious types although I found it to be a major PRO.
Other Thoughts: White Clay is just a really solid, enjoyable little recreational course set in a very pretty park. It's perfect for groups of college students who don't take the game that seriously or us older players. I'd love to have White Clay closer to my home.

Pretty Park, Decent Course

2-4    8/14/2013   8/16/2013
Review By: bnbanbury
Pros: -Really nice park with rolling green hills and mature trees.
-Excellent signage and concrete tees (the concrete tees were a little odd, very wide but not as long as i would like)
-Pins are well placed with the light woods being used well to protect the greens and provide a variety of shot shapes.
-Very balanced in that it doesn't cater to one particular throwing style, requires working the disc right to left, left to right, and right up the gut
Cons: -The rough in fairways and around greens was the biggest con for me. The rough i'm speaking of is really tall grass, the kind you can watch a disc enter and still be unable to find it when you come up to look. I'm all for having obstacles but this is rough that serves no purpose beyond losing plastic as it does little to impede your next shot once you find your disc.
-There are a several holes that felt like filler holes- 5-8, 16, 18.
-6 dollars for me to play here means it doesn't get as much play from me as it would otherwise warrant
-There are a few long pins but this is mostly a putter and mid course
Other Thoughts: I have enjoyed my rounds here for the most part, there certainly aren't to many courses in DE that can compete with the aesthetics of this beautiful park. I like the fact that i can work on just about any shot in the bag here due to the varied and creative layout (with the exception of long bombs). I think if i had DE tags and could get into the park for 3 bucks i would make the effort to play here more often but 6 dollars is a little steep for what i consider to be a true 3 star course. I also hate for my rounds to be taken up with probably 20 minutes on average looking for discs in tall grass. The last time i played i passed groups of 4 and 5 combing through rough just off the fairway. Overall i think the its a solid course and the layout is well done. I hope that more long pins will be added and some of the rough can be eliminated to make this course a little better.

Nice short course

1    6/2/2013   6/2/2013
Review By: Buchajs1
Pros: Tee signs- i realized that others have said that the tee signs were missing. However, when i was there it seemed as if the signs had bee replaced. I felt that the represented the hole well and on holes where it needed it the tee had an arrow that pointed towards the next tee

Well kept and good amenities- the course was mown when i was there and from talking with locals i think that they usually cut it. The fairways are always mown with clear fairways leading towards the baskets. The course had bathrooms and a pavillion as well as countless cross country and hiking trails if somebody was looking to make a day about it. There was a practice basket near the first tee, however it was pretty rusted. About 8-9 of the holes had b pins as well. However they were pretty heavily rusted. The current baskets that it seems most people use seem to be in good playable shape.

Favorite holes: #3- arrow cut fairway about 250ft with the basket perched atop a plateau-like area.
#17- downhill and over a gap of rough until you reach a large tree in the center of the fairway. From there you have an uphill approach to the basket.

Shot variety- each hole uses elevation and there are multiple routes on each hole. The course is primarily open with the main obstacles being brush, rough and either large trees or low lying pine trees.
Cons: Distance variety- every hole is between 250-375 although each hole is relatively unique, this course needs a bit more distance to bump this course from fun 18 to great 18.
Other Thoughts: I had a great time at this course in delaware and plan to come back

Ace race prime turf

2-4    9/21/2012   9/21/2012
Review By: iHitTree
Pros: White Clay Creek was a refreshing surprise for me. I went for the first time after playing my 3rd ever round at Iron Hill after a job interview in Wilmington this week., since I had an entire day free after late morning. I had heard so much about Iron Hill for obvious reasons and so I never paid much thought to White Clay Creek.

This course is to me what Bellevue strives to be--a clean wide-open park dotted with trees and bushes to create unique obstacles. Like Bellevue, there aren't any real woods, but rather small groups of trees to play around and through, and like Bellevue, the holes are shorter and are meant to cater to a tech round and to make beginners feel welcome and grow their love of the game. Unlike Bellevue, there are nice elevation climbs and drops all over this course. WCC is a par 3 course that in most cases is easy to par and more difficult to birdie. More experienced throwers can play the round with a mid range and putter only; only 1 hole exceeds 400' and besides that, only 5 others that exceed 300'. Definitely go to work on accuracy, putting, and your variety of throws.

The tee areas and signs were good here. There were very few blind shots, so tracking your throw shouldn't prove cumbersome. About half of the course does factor in thick TG near the tee area, but anyone who can throw over 200' shouldn't have too much trouble missing the bad spots in most cases. Watch out namely for holes 3 and 17 for easier places to lose plastic. The park itself is very nice and well maintained. Fairway grass length was good. Navigation was nice and simple once getting started.
Cons: Without prior knowledge of the course, it can be tricky finding hole 1. Once you park in the recreation area of the park, head downhill toward the picnic tables on the side of the lot that the driveway came in, and you'll notice the practice basket down the hill. There's a little alcove in trees extending off the practice basket that leads to hole 1. From there, it's easy. The walk from 18 back to the lot is a little long and leaves room for another hole if you ask me, but the path back to the lot does follow the cross country track route.. That track does weave through the course, though it usually avoid fairway, but be careful of runners--they were there when I was playing. The course doesn't challenge more experienced players, but you can still find constructive ways to spend your round here, like taking someone new to the game.
Other Thoughts: This is a really nice small course. I recommend it highly for a light, casual round or and ace race event!

Grat AM course

5+    5/14/2012   5/22/2012
Review By: hawk12
This review was updated on 8/18/2012
Pros: This course was moved to a different part of the park from the old 9 hole loop into today's 18 hole layout.

I've been playing White Clay Creek (or Carpenter Park as some call it) for a very long time. It is in better shape now than I've ever seen it! The DDGers and park workers have cleaned up much of the very high rough, and some former trouble spots on the course.
As far as layout, its a par 54 with great lines and shot variation throughout. The redesign is lefty freindly, as the park removed some invasive trees a few years ago and kind of changed some holes (mostly on the back 9).
Good evelvation changes, especially for the flat state of DE.
Some of the older baskets were being stolen a few years back, and the new chainstar baskets were donated by the DDG, and one very kind benefactor gave 9 of them himself. Now many holes have 2 baskets, which allows for variation in layouts played.

Great AM course, good for learning and AM level tournamets. Pros and very solid Adv players should shoot well under par here.
Cons: Pay to Play - $3 in state, $6 out of state per car for park entrance fee.

If you are looking for a challenging course, go to Iron, Brandtwine, or Carousel, this is a medium distance to shorter course for today's standards - all Par 3s.

The brush/rough can get 3-5 ft tall when its not mowed by State Parks (budget issues sometimes).
This is near the U of D, and gets lots of newer players - with music and large crowds on some holes during school year. Some cross country teams practice here in the afternoons as well. Lots of foot traffic on nice days, you need to be careful and throw safely as some holes are near/alongside walking paths.

The tee pad signs are not 100% accurate, some are missing the sign (broken/stolen from post)
Other Thoughts: This course could use a few more locals to oversee the course, as by proximity to U of D much of its play base is transient (every 4 years), and youthful. Some do not respect the course, litter, and could use a little 'guidance' from experienced players...

The course pro (Mike K) does a great job, but could use some help as the DDGers have put much effort into building other local courses in recent years and have been spread a little thin on some of the older/established courses. I'm one of those that went ti Iron Hill and previously used to help out here...

New tee pads signs are very nice and accurate.

29 miles from Pa. line

5+    5/27/2009   8/13/2011
Review By: beaverdisc
Pros: Nice mix of hole and elevation changes. I really enjoy this course. It is in an area that has a few really nice couses. And Pa. is very close.
Cons: This park has a carry in and out rule. No trash cans. Also Deleware parks charge for out of state vehicles during state business hours. Then it is on the pay honor system.
Other Thoughts: I like the course enough to pay to play.

Fun for a Beginners

5+    7/31/2011   8/4/2011
Review By: Cooper2397
Pros: I am new to disc golf and White Clay is the primary course that I play. When people describe the course, the 2 overwhelming themes are beginner friendly and left handers have an advantage. Since I drive RHFH, I don't necessarily agree with the second point and will point some of that out in the review. This review is for the reds. Again, I am new so please forgive me if this review isn't technical enough:

Hole 1-- located down the hill from the porta potty, past the picnic tables. You will see the practice basket first. The first tee is behind the practice basket in the tree line. This hole is RHBH friendly. It has a wide open fairway with rough down the right hand side. Good first hole to warm up on, not a lot of risk of a lost disc.

Hole 2-- Fun Hole. It is right or left hand friendly. With skill and a little luck, you could ace this hole. Just bend the disc towards the basket from either side. The basket is protected by a tree so you can't go straight at it.

Hole 3-- Here is where you will want to be LH. The basket is on an elevated "green" to the right. It is guarded by an evergreen about mid fairway and a tree by the basket. From watching people shoot at this basket, most people land their disc at the bottom or "in" the hill.

For Hole 4, go onto the dirt path/ road and walk up abt 20 yards. It not far, but the tee for 17 is right by the hole 3 basket--don't go that way!

Hole 4-- This is really a RH hole. If you have a bad drive, you can easily lose a disc. With a good drive, you fly over all the weeds with a RH or LH and be right by the basket.

Hole 5-- steep uphill with the tee box slanted uphill. I am not sure if it is mental or not but steepness of the tee box screws me up. With a decent drive, this is a pretty easy hole.

Hole 6-- As I get better, this hole gets harder. It is a slight downhill with a sharp downhill the last 20-30 feet. There are woods behind the basket. I threw a mid range on a perfect line and speed ( I thought) and ended up deep in the woods. I am not sure how to play this hole( a high hyzer?). These are the holes I love, a real mental challenge, not grip it and rip it.

Hole 7--coming back up the hill. A relatively easy hole with a good drive but there is no fun in driving uphill.

Hole 8--fun hole for RH or LH. Again the basket is hidden behind a tree, but you have a real shot at an ace if you get it just right.

Hole 9--this must be the hardest hole on the course. I am not sure what to do. Next time I play I am going to throw my disc at the nearest bush. It seems like if I try to avoid the bushes and trees, that is where it ends up. This hole is a narrow fairway with the basket guarded by trees. The basket is in the woods on a slight downhill so the disc rolls a lot. Seriously though, if you can throw a tomahawk, this may be the hole.

Hole 10-- this is where being LH is awesome, the drive is a short narrow shot through the trees and then take a hard right. I throw a little hyzer FH and land it out in the field. It is a fun second shot here, all skill. There is a window in the trees to the right of the basket. A nice easy throw RHBH into the window and you have a good shot at a deuce.

Hole 11-- First hole with no shade at all. This is your first real grip it and rip it hole especially RHBH. I don't like these holes… moving on.

Hole 12--LH bias here. You are still out in the sun which sucks right now. I use a mid range and try to bend it at the end of tree line to the right. This is basically a dog leg right. The basket is pretty open. It is an ok hole, not the greatest.

Hole 13-- Here is some love for the RH. The basket is not far but guarded by a huge tree. RHBH can bend it right around for an ace opportunity.

Hole 14-- A hole for LH. Not much to tell on this one. It is pretty long for me. The hole is right out in the open, so putting is easy.
Hole 15-- Deceivingly hard hole in my opinion. It is built for LH and seems easy but you really don't have much of a window. I seem to hit a tree every time and not sure why.

Hole 16- I love this hole. It is built for LH. It is short and you can definitely make an ace. The trick is to bend it around the evergreen mid fairway--not that hard.

Hole 17-- This is the signature hole of the course. It is a long hole where you drive from an elevated tee. There is danger along the left but with a good drive, you are a long putt for birdie. As you can tell, I don't like the grip it and rip it holes, but drives on this hole are a thing of beauty. If you find a couple valks in the poison ivy along the left, they're mine!

Hole 18-- This is like the last hole at a putt-putt where you put the ball in the clown's mouth for a free game. It is a short hole looking for an Ace. If no one is behind you, throw everything in your bag at it.
Cons: Pay to play. Alot of college kids which at times, can be a bad thing.
Other Thoughts: You can play a round here in a bout an hour if no one is in front of you.

have fun