Auburn, WA
White River Share
Uploaded By: Aragorn Hole #13
3 / --   3 / 350ft. Par / Distance:
Hole #13 Tee (Summer Layout)

Tough grind by the River

7/4/2008   7/4/2008
Review By: LanceInTacoma
Pros: The signage here is very good, we only had trouble one time figuring out where to go from one hole to the next, and that was in the "temporary" summer area, which avoids a popular day-camp facility. The permanent signs are really nice, as nice as any I have seen in my travels. The course has some variety, with most holes in tightly wooded area and a few more open shots. The river running right beside you on one hole and coming into view a couple of other times is nice.
Cons: Some of the same ones others have mentioned: some holes seem more like luck than skill based on the number of trees in the "fairway." Also, I would prefer that if I throw my disc in the "fairway," I should be able to find it much easier than I could often out here. Of all the courses I have played, this course is closer to "requiring" a spotter than any other. Lots of time spent looking for discs out here.
Other Thoughts: Overall, I don't mind a course like this on occasion, and I am sure, over time, the fairways will get more and more cleaned up as players continue to walk through the course. There were many people out playing today, but, because of the course setup, we were never in anyone's way, or had anyone in ours. I do think it would be nice to find some way to avoid playing along the walking path in a couple of places, but overall, the course was fun, although a tough grind.

had a tough round

2-4    6/20/2008   6/20/2008
Review By: Aragorn
This review was updated on 8/24/2008
Pros: 18 holes in a nice classic Pacific Northwest woods setting. Can practice playing through growing frustration?
Cons: Do you like looking for your disc? How about looking for it when you put it in the middle of the fairway? On three separate holes I spent a significant amount of time looking for my disc even though it I put it in the middle of the fairway! The ferns and disc gobbling bushes are so dense on some holes that it can get really frustrating looking for a disc that should be right there!

Do you like hitting trees? Over and over again? Here is an example of Four consecutive holes I had. Tee shot hits tree, second shot hits tree, third shot hits tree. Next hole tee shot hits tree, second shot hits tree. Next hole tee shot hits tree, second shot hits tree. Next hole tee shot hits tree. I will take the blame for some of that but I really can't remember a run that bad before.

3 holes throw across a pedestrian path. What is really bad is there is a hole that the entire fairway is a pedestrian path! How could you possibly play this hole if there are people on the path?
Other Thoughts: There is an alternate 'summer layout' for several months of the year. Some holes that are normally along medows get moved into the woods.

I have played this course a few times and if I am truthful I would say I never really have much fun. From spending a lot of time looking for my disc to hitting trees frequently it just slowly saps me.

Maybe as it gets more play it will open up a little. I hope so.

Getting to Know You

2/5/2008   3/5/2008
Review By: Disc Golf Fanatic
Pros: Variety of drive length and type, practice basket at one, distance markers on 17, course is just beautiful - variety variety, terrific markings
Cons: really afraid i'm going to lose a disc in the river on 13, some holes are SO hard to get a decent drive.
Other Thoughts: our new neighborhood course. just getting to know it but really excited might even be better than stevens :)

New Course In Town!

5+    2/15/2008   2/25/2008
This review was updated on 11/14/2008
Pros: The course is in a nice location, just on the border of the city. The park itself is pretty with the White River flowing next to several holes. There are a couple of slightly elevated tees, a bit of elevation change and nice variety of more wide open holes and those buried in the deep woods. The course starts with #'s 1 through 6 are more or less open holes, then moves into the thick, thick forest for four shorter accuracy holes before breaking out along the river. The signs for the holes are among the best anywhere. Hopefully, the vandals will leave them alone. Most every hole has a place to sit and rest a spell.
Cons: Four or five holes in the woods are ridiculously tight, I think, with more luck than skill involved. Although I love walking through the forest, I would prefer a fairway of some sorts.
Other Thoughts: White River is off to a great start. With just a little selective trimming, I'd rate this course higher.