Auburn, WA
White River Share
Uploaded By: Aragorn Hole #8
3 / --   3 / 280ft. Par / Distance:

1 2 3 Next >
 Best course south of Seatac in Washington.

2-4    5/16/2009   6/2/2009
Review By: sillybizz
This review was updated on 4/26/2010
Pros: A beautifully maintained and easy to navigate course along the picturesque White River makes for a wonderful time playing disc golf. The baskets and tee pads are in excellent condition just like the rest of the course and there are plenty of places to sit down if needed. Very technical course with a lot of variety between hole lengths and there is a good amount of challenge. Plenty of parking even on the busiest days. There are no crossing fairways which is a rarity, even the best courses have some crossing, also the course guides you back around to your car.
Cons: The course gets busy with golfers and also busy with pedestrians and a couple of holes throw near busy walking paths. A couple of spots on the course have places where you might lose a disc in the brush.
Other Thoughts: Others have commented on the amount of trees and that there is more luck than skill, I totally disagree. Yes the course is tight in places but this is what makes the course fun, besides for every tight hole there are as many open fairway holes. There are other places I have played that are worse as far as having trees and tight fairways. The summer configuration of the course is all I have played so I can't comment on what it's like other wise.

Worth the drive down south

5+    2/13/2009   2/13/2009
Review By: chow
Pros: As others have said, this course is beautiful. Located along the river with multiple fun holes. Starting out, I love the practice basket. It's nice to warm up with a cup of coffee and get some of the cobwebs out practicing. Great signs on almost all holes with excellent maintained teepads.
Love the fact that both red & blue tees are well signed and in alot of the cases give absolutely different looks at the basket.
Locals are always real friendly and the town has a great disc golf store...Mando's.
Cons: The summer transformation. The holes that go away are some of my favorite at this course.
A little over grown in spots, and some holes need ninja/jedi skills to get to the basket.
Other Thoughts: As others have said it is super tight in the trees on about 1/2 dozen or so holes. I have birdied some and double bogied others....not really that concerned because I have played other courses that make this one look like it's in a huge treeless field. Lay off on some of the holes, midrange, not driver and you'll be fine.

You could basically get out of your car for the 1st time and play a full 18 without getting lost!! Refreshing

White River

1    11/10/2008   1/8/2009
Review By: DGtourist
Pros: First tee-box first tee sign, top quality, perhaps the best I've seen in all of Washington. Its very nice to see a Washington course with paved tee-boxes, and not huge mud puddles. A mix of open and tight holes, and very tight holes, mostly good for tree bashing. White River is tucked away in a very picturesque natural setting, its one of the places my wife asks "where was that?" with an excited voice when my screen saver flashes a picture of this course. If you have skill weaving it through the trees you'll love this course. You can hear the river running almost the entire round, its quite relaxing. This course has some elevated baskets and tee boxes and alternate tee-boxes. White River has easy directions, plenty of parking and a porta potty. Along the course there are plenty of places to sit.

There are a couple of memorable holes. I liked how number one has a well defined fairway and then you transition right into playing in the thick forest on number two. The tee box at number five was awesome, one of the rare times I liked the tee-box more than the target. The course then takes you for a quick jaunt back into the woods. Then you get to play along the river where the courses features an elevated tree guarded basket. Finally you go down a hill and into the open for more well defined fairways. That's my idea of fun, I enjoyed my experience.
Cons: When I played in early November, there was almost no undergrowth issues, however is seems like it can get bad when the weather is nice. Refer to the picture of the number four fairway "enjoy looking for your disc" that type of undergrowth is not my idea of fun. I have to be fair though, when I played in November, it wasn't much of an issue. Some of the layout from basket to tee was confusing, we would find a tee and then realize we were at the wrong one and have to re-throw from the correct tee.
Other Thoughts: On the foggy, rainy day I was there a Native American dude was signing loudly by the river, it made the experience feel wilder. My better than average grade might be due to the fact that I didn't play the summer layout. Next time I'm in the city during the summertime I will shoot for hitting up the summer layout and rewrite this review. I just didn't have the frustration issues that others seem to have had. The only thing I found frustrating was how fast the sun set in November. I look forward to playing this course again.

Tough grind by the River

7/4/2008   7/4/2008
Review By: LanceInTacoma
Pros: The signage here is very good, we only had trouble one time figuring out where to go from one hole to the next, and that was in the "temporary" summer area, which avoids a popular day-camp facility. The permanent signs are really nice, as nice as any I have seen in my travels. The course has some variety, with most holes in tightly wooded area and a few more open shots. The river running right beside you on one hole and coming into view a couple of other times is nice.
Cons: Some of the same ones others have mentioned: some holes seem more like luck than skill based on the number of trees in the "fairway." Also, I would prefer that if I throw my disc in the "fairway," I should be able to find it much easier than I could often out here. Of all the courses I have played, this course is closer to "requiring" a spotter than any other. Lots of time spent looking for discs out here.
Other Thoughts: Overall, I don't mind a course like this on occasion, and I am sure, over time, the fairways will get more and more cleaned up as players continue to walk through the course. There were many people out playing today, but, because of the course setup, we were never in anyone's way, or had anyone in ours. I do think it would be nice to find some way to avoid playing along the walking path in a couple of places, but overall, the course was fun, although a tough grind.

had a tough round

2-4    6/20/2008   6/20/2008
Review By: Aragorn
This review was updated on 8/24/2008
Pros: 18 holes in a nice classic Pacific Northwest woods setting. Can practice playing through growing frustration?
Cons: Do you like looking for your disc? How about looking for it when you put it in the middle of the fairway? On three separate holes I spent a significant amount of time looking for my disc even though it I put it in the middle of the fairway! The ferns and disc gobbling bushes are so dense on some holes that it can get really frustrating looking for a disc that should be right there!

Do you like hitting trees? Over and over again? Here is an example of Four consecutive holes I had. Tee shot hits tree, second shot hits tree, third shot hits tree. Next hole tee shot hits tree, second shot hits tree. Next hole tee shot hits tree, second shot hits tree. Next hole tee shot hits tree. I will take the blame for some of that but I really can't remember a run that bad before.

3 holes throw across a pedestrian path. What is really bad is there is a hole that the entire fairway is a pedestrian path! How could you possibly play this hole if there are people on the path?
Other Thoughts: There is an alternate 'summer layout' for several months of the year. Some holes that are normally along medows get moved into the woods.

I have played this course a few times and if I am truthful I would say I never really have much fun. From spending a lot of time looking for my disc to hitting trees frequently it just slowly saps me.

Maybe as it gets more play it will open up a little. I hope so.

Scenic, Fun, & Challenging

5/12/2008   5/14/2008
Review By: jsalyers1
Pros: Beautiful course - well balanced between technical (shorter - wooded or obstacle) holes and distance holes. Concrete pads are nice, and the course is VERY well signed and maintained. You can actually find you way to the next hole without a guide... what a concept!
Cons: Can be very crowded on nice days.
Other Thoughts: Others have commented on the wooded holes being tight. They certainly are... but that is what makes them challenging. This is a great course for intermediate and advanced players. Beginners should stick to Riverside, Redmond, or Mineral Park.

White River DGC

2-4    1/17/2010   4/14/2008
Review By: JR Stengele
This review was updated on 1/17/2010
Pros:
Beautiful scenic discgolf course located in a wonderful city park along the White River. Entering the park there is plenty of parking available near the kiosk and hole #1. Restrooms are just off the side as well as a drinking fountain.

As far as course layout, White River does a fantastic job providing a mixture of open and wooded holes allowing no one style the competative advantage. Baskets are visible on the majority of holes and if not there are signs with distance and pin placement available.

The course does a nice job taking advantage of the elevation available. There will be several opportunities for shots to sail along the rolling hills and down toward the water some. Each hole has a unique look! The course is challenging, requiring large controlled drives, tight accurate fairway shots, and long narrow putts through wooded areas.

Duel tee pads on some holes (red and blue - winter and summer) add to the fun and challenge. Blues tee pads are all cement and the red are a mix (cement, rubber).The baskets were quality and in great shape .
Cons:
After the first hole the course plays into the woods where on a few holes some might find their shots to be difficult and that their lines to the pin are non-existant (especially during the summer). Continuing to cut back some of the growth on those holes might make for better lines on the course and allow for skill rather than a lucky skip.

However, I really couldn't find a whole lot wrong with this course. White River was well manicured, clean, and in great shape. The locals along with the parks and rec do a fantastic job on course upkeep!
White River provides a wonderful opportunity for some quality northwest discgolf. The park for the most part is dedicated to discgolf (occasional walkers) and the local club has a strong following.

If you are looking for some new plastic or any discgolf merchandise, look for MANDO'S downtown. They have quality goods and a great price. The owner's are great and do a lot for the discgolf community.

Getting to Know You

2/5/2008   3/5/2008
Review By: Disc Golf Fanatic
Pros: Variety of drive length and type, practice basket at one, distance markers on 17, course is just beautiful - variety variety, terrific markings
Cons: really afraid i'm going to lose a disc in the river on 13, some holes are SO hard to get a decent drive.
Other Thoughts: our new neighborhood course. just getting to know it but really excited might even be better than stevens :)

New Course In Town!

5+    2/15/2008   2/25/2008
This review was updated on 11/14/2008
Pros: The course is in a nice location, just on the border of the city. The park itself is pretty with the White River flowing next to several holes. There are a couple of slightly elevated tees, a bit of elevation change and nice variety of more wide open holes and those buried in the deep woods. The course starts with #'s 1 through 6 are more or less open holes, then moves into the thick, thick forest for four shorter accuracy holes before breaking out along the river. The signs for the holes are among the best anywhere. Hopefully, the vandals will leave them alone. Most every hole has a place to sit and rest a spell.
Cons: Four or five holes in the woods are ridiculously tight, I think, with more luck than skill involved. Although I love walking through the forest, I would prefer a fairway of some sorts.
Other Thoughts: White River is off to a great start. With just a little selective trimming, I'd rate this course higher.

1 2 3 Next >