Urbana, IA
Wildcat Bluff Share
Uploaded By: DiscMo Hole #B (Taken 7/2009)
Hole #B Tee

1 2 3 4 Next >

5+    10/18/2009   10/22/2009
Review By: G-MIL
Pros: Great use of the land, holes play for backhand and forehand players with multiple tees and pin locations. Course is well-maintained, you can tell the amount of work and pride these guys take in developing the course. Elevation change makes this course challenging and very fun to play. Since it's heavily wooded the wind doesn't affect shots much on windy days. Worth the drive. Camping is available on or near course.
Cons: This course is a ways off of 380 or 30 but is worth the drive.
Other Thoughts: Great course! I love playing this course everytime I'm home. Worth stopping regardless of your level of play. Fun and again, worth the drive.

Awesome destination course

1    9/4/2009   9/5/2009
Review By: jdawg24
Pros: *All around sweet course ... you walk away thinking about how fun the course was & wishing you had time for another round
*Beautiful private setting in a hilly wooded glen within a county park
*Great campground within walking distance of the course & private walk in sites in a grassy meadow at the start of the course
*Valid wooded holes!! Finally a course with real fairways where small trees have actually been cut out of the middle of the hole! Only a few trees that need to go, but in amazing shape for only 2 years old
*Very well built - engineered stairs, supports, benches etc on almost every hole
*Great mix of terrain & shots required
*All holes have 2-3+ pin positions; many of them include a multishot legit par 4 position
*Some holes have two teepads
*Great variety of terrain -- uphill, downhill, flat, along a slope etc.
*Many memorable holes. #8 is an amazing downhill shot -- who knew they had hills like that in iowa? down and over a gully that's 100' below the pad in elevation -- also # 17 was a sweet downhill shot
*5 minutes off the interstate
*excellent signage; easy to navigate solo with no map
Cons: *Rural setting ... not really a con, but the place isn't close to anything except Cedar Rapids
*a few fairway trees, but only a few
*teepads -- the locals said they'll have concrete soon; at the moment there are short paver pads
*the 3 extra holes after #6 were out of character with the rest of the course ... too short, not as much to them ... if i were playing again i'd probably skip them
*hole 16 in the right position had no valid line; i note it because it was maybe the only hole i really didn't like so it stuck out
Other Thoughts: I played 6 courses during a work trip this week and this course was hands down the one that i'm still thinking about. this course is a great destination with onsite camping in a private setting -- this would make for an awesome weekend if you snagged the walkin sites that are next to hole #1 in a grassy field right next to a nice stream in lush green grass.

Course has great support by locals that have clearance to improve the course as they see fit ... and it shows....so it should get even better with time.

Concrete pads, a few trees out of the fairway & a few more years to break in & improve (was just opened in '07!!) ... and this is flirting with a 5 star rating.

Wooded Wonderland

1    8/8/2009   8/9/2009
Review By: superberry
This review was updated on 10/21/2013
Pros: Woods! Lack of players. Elevation. And more woods! I loved this course. Don't let my cons fool you too much. I was so in awe of this wooded wonderland and loved playing it despite all the setbacks and negatives surrounding my round. The mutliple pins are great on every hole (and most can be distinguished from the tees). The multiple tees are nice and it appears the land would allow multiple tees on every hole. There is an excellent balance of left, right, long, short, uphill, and downhill holes. While not huge elevation like a mountain or valley, the elevation here is very well utlized. Some of the most memorable holes were...
#8, a long ripper downhill in a tightly wooded valley and back uphill the last 25% to the pin.
#12, actually has some very great charatcter now that a huge tree has fallen about 25" in front of the pin. I'd leave it there with just the smaller branches cleared!
#17, an AWESOME downhill anhyzer through a washout halfpipe type valley. This is what I dreamed about for hole B at Winter Park in Kewaunee, but we could only get 300-350', at Wildcat you can rip it over 500' down to the gold pin location!
Let me say once again that I LOVE the wooded holes here! This is my idea of a disc golf course. While I don't like multiple pins necessarily (gives too many scoring/layout options), and prefer multiple tees instead, I WANT to play this course again. In the midst of torrential downpour and humid temps, I couldn't help thinking how glad I was to play here. The lack of players is also a positive. If you are ever near Cedar Rapids, and you consider yourself a true disc golf nut who travels around to play the best courses, you owe this course a stop!
Cons: The tee pads SUCK! I hate to say this, I know the guys working on this course put a lot of effort into these (it shows), but they are slippery, present a dropoff edge, and are WAY TOO SHORT! They honestly killed my round and I mainly teed off next to the pavers. The problem is that they are pavers, surrounded by 4x4 timbers. Thus, they have an edge on all sides so you cannot start off the pad, and you're afraid to roll an ankle off the front because they are only 8' long or so. Even the ones with added pavers for a run-up still have the same problem. When it's wet (like it was) the pavers are very slippery and the wood is SUPER slippery! That is why I prefer natural, woodchip, or crushed stone tees anyway, at any course. It sure is nice to never worry about slipping or rolling an ankle, even if the natural surfaces get more rutted. I also imagine that the pavers are going to heave horribly over the winter and when roots from all the surrounding trees grow in. Another con is that there is a LOT of poison ivy. It should be sprayed because it is right in fairways and walkways. There is also a TON in the rough, and it is EASY to be in the rough here with a skip off one of the many trees. While I know how to spot it and avoid a rash by washing, it is still a pain to step lightly through the woods to avoid it. I also think the 3 new holes after #6 should be labeled more clearly (I missed them!). No water like lakes or ponds, and the creek really doesn't come into play.
Other Thoughts: This course was the best I played out of all the Colorado Mountain courses I had planned to play on my vacation (that's right, I'm aware it's not in the CO mts!). I wish the locals would get some pictures on this site because the course really is phenonenal! I would have if it wasn't raining, but I didn't even take my camera out. This course was designed by disc golfers, for disc golfers (ones who appreciated a good wooded challenge). I really wanted to rate this course lower because I honestly feel the teepads SUCK. But considering I WANT to make the 7 hour trip back here from Kewaunee, WI to play this course again (preferrably in fall during the colored leaves), I had to rate it higher and up the average for the course rating. This is absolutely one of the best courses I've played, and I had a great time despite horrible tee pads, slippery mud, lots of rain, lots of poison ivy, horrible tee pads (oh I said that already), throwing something like a 74 for 18 holes, and dew points in the 70's with temps in the upper 80's! Better tees and a pond or true water feature would yield a rating of 5.

Model Course

2-4    10/11/2008   11/2/2008
Review By: Porkchop
This review was updated on 10/11/2010
Pros: Beautiful course on a prime piece of land. Course is well laid out, has nice flow, great mix of long and short holes, with a good balance of right-to-left and left-to-right playing holes. Multiple pin placements, on every hole, and dual tee's on 4 holes. Course is carved through dense woods and this puts a premium on accuracy. Nice tees and great landscaping, with camping on the course. The course also features professionally built, catching, and looking homemade baskets.
Cons: There is very little wrong with this course. On the back 9 a few of holes are close to others, but it's not a huge problem seeing how the course is not really busy. Some of the tee's are a bit short for some of the run up's required , but the dedicated crew at Wildcat have addressed the issue on a few holes and will not hesitate to do so on others. Some holes are a tad tight (big emphases on a tad, nothing major), but as with all new courses they tend to thin out a bit over time allowing the course to play a tad fairer.
Other Thoughts: The course is a model of what should be done when building a new course. It is evident that the Wildcat Crew has put a lot of time and dedication into this course. The little details that are a must and often overlooked are all accounted for and much appreciated. Big props to the Wildcat Crew!!

Tree Golf

5/16/2008   5/26/2008
Review By: mattmelcher
Pros: Long. Beautiful Scenery through the woodlands. Lots of trees.
Cons: Lots of trees. I think if you are playing through the forest the holes should be shorter.

1 2 3 4 Next >