Morton, MS
Moccasin Bend DGC Share
Uploaded By: JesusShoes Hole #4 (Taken 8/2009)

Fun and challending

1    7/11/2014   7/16/2014
Review By: blemly
Pros: I will start by saying this is a very fun course and if you have the chance to play here, go for it. Some of the Pro's include:

- Located inside Roosevelt state park. Since the course is located within a state park, it is more well kept than many disc golf courses. The fee to get into the park is $3/car (carpool!) and I assume like many state parks that the money trickles to each amenity the park offers. I don't think I saw more than 1 or 2 pieces of trash when I played.

- Unique shot-shaping holes. This is a wooded course and will focus more on your technical game than your bombs-away driver game. I threw plenty of mid-ranges and fairway drivers, although there are certainly some driver holes as well. Be prepared to throw anhyzers, hyzers, and even the occasional flick.

- It is a tough course. If you are hitting your line, you can shoot under par out here. However, if you miss your line and hit one of the many trees peppered along each hole, you may be forced to play for 4. I hit a tree on hole 1 and ended up with a 4: the hole was ~220 feet.

- "Signature hole(s)". With all likelihood, every course on DGCR rated at a 3.5 or above will have one or two "signature" holes that the course is known for. This course is no exception. The back 9 featured #12: A towering ~450 foot hole where you throw right next the bank of a lake down a ~250 foot drop. Throw too high and you could careen into the lake or overthrow it and you could end up in some high grass/marsh. Definitely a memorable hole.

- Getting inside the park is an easy find, which again, is never easy for a disc golf course. Just follow the signs to the state park. Once inside, pay the lady at the kiosk. Take an immediate left past the kiosk where the road forks and follow the road until it forks again, this time taking a right. You will park in front of what looks like an old mess hall building where you will likely see some other disc golfer's cars ~ 0.5 mile down.

- Overall, there is a good balance of holes and the course is easily worth the $3 park fee.
Cons: - Navigation, navigation, navigation. My only real knock on this course is finding the next hole. GRAB A COURSE MAP FROM THE PERSON WORKING THE COUNTER ON THE WAY IN. Seriously. If you don't, you will enjoy the course less. The map is fairly easy to follow but there are at least 4/5 holes where the next teepad is behind you or a short walk away from you. This does have the potential to really slow down a busy day, since some of the pathway's to the next teepad cross or double-back over the hole you just played. As long as you keep an eye out and grab a map, you should be fine.

- At times, some of the short holes felt a tad "gimmicky." I was not a huge fan of #4, which was a short hole over water that seemed to exist just because it was a water shot. Take my opinion on #4 with a grain of salt, since I promptly threw my disc in said water. A couple of the holes seemed to have the same shot off the tee, but nothing was really monotonous about it. I played when it was raining and the water was very high, making even disc spotting in the creek very challenging.

- There are plenty of water holes out here. I don't mean to make this a "con" per se, but I know that for some people, water on a course is a con, especially if you are low on discs. Just a note, if you do come out here as a beginner or even intermediate player, don't throw your favorite driver/mid-range on a whole you might lose it on.
Other Thoughts: Came out here with my brother while visiting our dad in MS. Made the trip from Memphis, having only played N. MS. courses and the Ross Barnett Reservoir (The REZ) DGC before. We were not at all disappointed. While I wouldn't quite put Moccasin Bend DGC at the quality of course that the REZ is, if you are anywhere near Morten, MS definitely play.

I have played for ~7 years and play 1-2x's/week on average. My brother has played 10 rounds, total. Both of us had a really fun time playing.

Challenging, especially with my game!

2-4    6/30/2010   7/9/2010
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Moccasin Bend is a challenging course from 1 to 18. Several short holes to start, that require pin point tee shots to clear the trees. Water provides hazards on a few holes. The longer holes also take well placed drives if you want the birdies. Quite a few memorable holes. #4 is a tunnel shot over 200+ feet of water. Options are limited from most of the tees, testing your ability to make many different types of drives. Play moves fairly fast since the course isn't crowded, and felt compact to me. The park is easy to get to from I-20, and discs are for sale at the entrance.
Cons: No concrete on the tee boxes bothered me a little, some were worse than others. Improving the tees would push my rating to 4 discs. I would say one or two of the fairways were non-existent, if I hadn't watched Ken drive them most of the way to the pin.
Other Thoughts: I will most likely revisit the Bend for a shot at redemption. We played twice, and my 2nd round was one shot higher than the first. A very good course in a picturesque setting. Thanks to MagicTenor1 for suggesting, and then guiding my journey through Moccasin Bend.