Morton, MS
Moccasin Bend DGC Share
Uploaded By: JesusShoes Hole #2 (Taken 8/2009)
Hole #2 Tee: Water to the left and behind basket.

Fun and challending

1    7/11/2014   7/16/2014
Review By: blemly
Pros: I will start by saying this is a very fun course and if you have the chance to play here, go for it. Some of the Pro's include:

- Located inside Roosevelt state park. Since the course is located within a state park, it is more well kept than many disc golf courses. The fee to get into the park is $3/car (carpool!) and I assume like many state parks that the money trickles to each amenity the park offers. I don't think I saw more than 1 or 2 pieces of trash when I played.

- Unique shot-shaping holes. This is a wooded course and will focus more on your technical game than your bombs-away driver game. I threw plenty of mid-ranges and fairway drivers, although there are certainly some driver holes as well. Be prepared to throw anhyzers, hyzers, and even the occasional flick.

- It is a tough course. If you are hitting your line, you can shoot under par out here. However, if you miss your line and hit one of the many trees peppered along each hole, you may be forced to play for 4. I hit a tree on hole 1 and ended up with a 4: the hole was ~220 feet.

- "Signature hole(s)". With all likelihood, every course on DGCR rated at a 3.5 or above will have one or two "signature" holes that the course is known for. This course is no exception. The back 9 featured #12: A towering ~450 foot hole where you throw right next the bank of a lake down a ~250 foot drop. Throw too high and you could careen into the lake or overthrow it and you could end up in some high grass/marsh. Definitely a memorable hole.

- Getting inside the park is an easy find, which again, is never easy for a disc golf course. Just follow the signs to the state park. Once inside, pay the lady at the kiosk. Take an immediate left past the kiosk where the road forks and follow the road until it forks again, this time taking a right. You will park in front of what looks like an old mess hall building where you will likely see some other disc golfer's cars ~ 0.5 mile down.

- Overall, there is a good balance of holes and the course is easily worth the $3 park fee.
Cons: - Navigation, navigation, navigation. My only real knock on this course is finding the next hole. GRAB A COURSE MAP FROM THE PERSON WORKING THE COUNTER ON THE WAY IN. Seriously. If you don't, you will enjoy the course less. The map is fairly easy to follow but there are at least 4/5 holes where the next teepad is behind you or a short walk away from you. This does have the potential to really slow down a busy day, since some of the pathway's to the next teepad cross or double-back over the hole you just played. As long as you keep an eye out and grab a map, you should be fine.

- At times, some of the short holes felt a tad "gimmicky." I was not a huge fan of #4, which was a short hole over water that seemed to exist just because it was a water shot. Take my opinion on #4 with a grain of salt, since I promptly threw my disc in said water. A couple of the holes seemed to have the same shot off the tee, but nothing was really monotonous about it. I played when it was raining and the water was very high, making even disc spotting in the creek very challenging.

- There are plenty of water holes out here. I don't mean to make this a "con" per se, but I know that for some people, water on a course is a con, especially if you are low on discs. Just a note, if you do come out here as a beginner or even intermediate player, don't throw your favorite driver/mid-range on a whole you might lose it on.
Other Thoughts: Came out here with my brother while visiting our dad in MS. Made the trip from Memphis, having only played N. MS. courses and the Ross Barnett Reservoir (The REZ) DGC before. We were not at all disappointed. While I wouldn't quite put Moccasin Bend DGC at the quality of course that the REZ is, if you are anywhere near Morten, MS definitely play.

I have played for ~7 years and play 1-2x's/week on average. My brother has played 10 rounds, total. Both of us had a really fun time playing.

Tranquility...

5+    4/26/2013   4/28/2013
Review By: WSP420
This review was updated on 9/2/2013
Pros: -Quiet & peaceful.
-Mostly shaded with a few wide open hole mixed in.
-Excellent scorecards with map in mailbox next to 1st tee.
-Pro Shop in the park office; inexpensive discs but limited selection.
-Haven't seen a single moccasin!
Cons: -There may have been 1 trash can on the whole course.
-Very few benches (I can remember 2)
-A little hard to navigate holes #6-#9 (back and forth across a 'creek' with seemingly sporadic 'bridges.'
-Pay to play (worth $3 though)
-The rough is ROUGH; jeans are not a bad idea.
-Woods + water = BUGS
Other Thoughts: One of the most peaceful, un-rushed and visually stimulating 18 holes of Disc Golf I ever remember playing. Holes #11 & #12 are my favorites! Pin #11 is about 3/4 of the way up on the dam of Shadow Lake, the tee is at the bottom. Hole #12 tees off on the top of the dam and the pin is 426 feet away and downhill, which make everyone feel like a superstar driver! But... when you reach the top of the dam from #11 going to #12 you just have to stop and take it in. I guess that's why #12 is one of the few holes with a bench. I sit and soak in the view for at least 10 minutes EVERY time I play.
This really is a great course for everyone. It's not too difficult, but one sloppy throw and you could be wet or in the deadly underbrush (I swear those thorns/briars are sustained by human blood). I have played this course 3 times at different times and on weekends and a weekday; I have yet to see anyone else playing. Despite this, the course is well maintained and appears to be well used.

Mocassin Bend on Shadow Lake

1    4/23/2011   4/24/2011
Review By: lxdawg25
Pros: The course located within beautiful Roosevelt State Park around the shores of Shadow Lake. All in all you could hardly ask for a better setting for a course. Some of the holes were unique and challenging with a decent mix of technical wooded shots and larger open shots. A majority of the holes all had concrete tee pads. A few holes had benches and trash cans also which is a very nice feature for a good course.
As you walk up to the first tee there is a nice sign telling you where hole number 1 is and it has a mailbox with score cards and a map in it. As far as memorable holes I would say 1/3rd of the holes were memorable and fun to play. It also was nice as they came in two groups Holes 3-5 and Holes 10-12.

Hole #3 - Was a nice short but highly technical shot going through some tight woods. With the lake on your right as you threw it offered a nice risk reward and added to the challenge.

Hole #4 - Not an overly long hole it plays out over the mouth of the spill way to a basket sitting out in the open ahead of you. The majority of your shot has to carry water with the open line being over the water way. I loved this hole, and truly one of the gems of the course.

Hole #5 - Finishing off a very nice trio of holes this is the first "long" hole you meet at 354 it is an open alley running parallel to the spillway finish with a very tucked away basket on the left. If you did not land properly a slopped fairway left open the possibility of rolling down hill to the spill way.

Hole #10 - After some tough wooded holes number ten opens with a multi-line drive around a stand of trees. Depending on path you take the basket is well protected within an open field. I love drives that have you throwing through small windows like this and I think this was one of my favorite holes of the day.

Hole #11 - More Unique than truly challenging this hole plays up the side of a very large levy with the basket sitting about of the way up and you throwing from the very bottom. It was fun and made me think about my landing and putting more as you did not want to end up rolling back down the hill.

Hole #12 - Plays back down the levy of hole #11. Teeing of from the top to a basket that is located 420 feet away down the side of a hill is great! It was fun to just put your disc out there and watch it fly. This hole I sat on and threw about 8 drives just because it was so much fun. I am still convinced some one with a well controlled FH roller could really chew this hole up but all in all it was very memorable.
Cons: I feel bad giving this course cons because some of the holes were true works of art, and it can be seen that this course was well thought out. As stated earlier 1/3rd of the holes were just gems, but 6 holes does not a course make. The wooded holes were very over grown, I do not know if this is design or just lack of maintenance but it made finding lines (or even finding the basket in a few cases) very difficult and almost absurd. The quartet of holes #6-9 is a great example of this. Playing back and forth over a ravine these could have just been delightful, but playing every hole where I have to spend 5 minutes searching for the basket, just because it is too overgrown to see can get frustrating really quickly. This seemed to be the case for many of the holes honestly and as I look back on some holes that I should have loved like #16 that played along the edge of the lake, it just never really did it for me as the lack of maintenance was obvious.
As stated in the pro section the map and concrete tee boxes were nice. The problem is that map helped a bit in navigation but is hardly representative of the course and without good signage around the course we did spend a lot of time searching for holes. The tee pads were similar the concrete tee pads were nice but not every hole had them instead had natural tee pads. Some of which were in rough shape again hole #16 is a good example as the tee pad almost looked like it was falling into the lake making you tee off at an uphill angle.
This course is pay to play as the park has an entrance fee of three dollars (it was not noted on the course info page I have changed that), and once you get into the park it would have been impossible to find had we not asked the park ranger at the gate. Parking is also very sparse which was not too big of a deal as we were the only (and I do mean only) people on the course but I could easily see this causing a major headache during a tournament or if the course got busy.
The other problem with this course is that a few of the holes require you to walk back along the fairway after you finish the hole to get to the next tee. This did not result in any problems as we were the only ones out there but this could get really bad really quickly as it is very likely the person driving would not be able to see you. 2 going to 3 is a good example of this and really stood out as dangerous to me.
Other Thoughts: I feel like I say this often but I wanted to like this course but it was hard. Really hard. Too much time spent walking around finding the next tee box or once we found that searching for the basket. I played The Rez before coming here and of the large number of people I talked to on the course very few of them had even heard of Moccasin Bend and while The Rez was packed on a beautiful Saturday afternoon we were the only one's playing this course and I understand why. They are 30 minutes apart with Moccasin Bend being more removed from the Jackson area and there was just nothing grand enough to draw you away from a much nicer course. I found my self saying multiple times through my round here, "I should have just stayed and played another round there." It's unfortunate but true. Some TLC could easily bump this course up some but without more to offer it will always live in the shadows.

Really fun.

2-4    2/26/2011   2/28/2011
Review By: zepphead33
This review was updated on 2/27/2012
Pros: This course has got a fair amount of variety. While the majority of the holes are based around having to avoid trees, there are several open holes, and several that take advantage of the lake. One hole is throwing from ground level up a levee to a basket on the levee. If you don't make your disc sit, you will probably roll all the way back down to the bottom. The very next hole is going from the top of the levee back to ground level. This hole is a 425' wide open shot. Those are two of the most memorable holes on the course. Hole 4 is one of my favorite holes I have ever played for obvious reason, you are throwing about 250' over water and there is a pretty low ceiling that forces you to throw close to the water.
Cons: Occasionally, the flow of the course is interrupted by a little bit of backtracking, but nothing major. It gets pretty rough if you go off the fairway on some holes with fallen trees and lots of thorny plants. I did not see any poison ivy, however, that just might be because of the time of the year. None of the holes have signs with the layout of the hole like you find at the Rez.
Other Thoughts: This is a super fun course. Several really memorable holes and there are not any really bad holes. Jabba did an excellent job designing the course with the land that he was provided with. And while I probably won't drive 45 minutes to play there on a weekend, I will definitely come to any tournament hosted there. I have played in the Ice Bowl at this course twice now, and the course is always cleaned up really well with the help of the Park Ranger and some prisoners.

Challenging, especially with my game!

2-4    6/30/2010   7/9/2010
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Moccasin Bend is a challenging course from 1 to 18. Several short holes to start, that require pin point tee shots to clear the trees. Water provides hazards on a few holes. The longer holes also take well placed drives if you want the birdies. Quite a few memorable holes. #4 is a tunnel shot over 200+ feet of water. Options are limited from most of the tees, testing your ability to make many different types of drives. Play moves fairly fast since the course isn't crowded, and felt compact to me. The park is easy to get to from I-20, and discs are for sale at the entrance.
Cons: No concrete on the tee boxes bothered me a little, some were worse than others. Improving the tees would push my rating to 4 discs. I would say one or two of the fairways were non-existent, if I hadn't watched Ken drive them most of the way to the pin.
Other Thoughts: I will most likely revisit the Bend for a shot at redemption. We played twice, and my 2nd round was one shot higher than the first. A very good course in a picturesque setting. Thanks to MagicTenor1 for suggesting, and then guiding my journey through Moccasin Bend.

Mocasin

1    5/12/2010   5/12/2010
Review By: Cantstandya
Pros: There are a lot of variety of shots when playing this course and is set in a beautiful park. Very fun course to play.
Cons: Some holes have no real strategy. Just grip and rip and try to get lucky because there is no skill involved. One hole theres is not even a path to throw in its just throw it somewhere and try to get lucky.
Other Thoughts: Fun course but should not be ranked 2nd in the state. Memorial (Tupelo) and The Rez are both ahead of this one by a lot.

Scenic and

5+    2/23/2013   12/9/2009
Review By: MikeK
This review was updated on 2/24/2013
Pros: Roosevelt State Park is beautiful, and the course is lovely and scenic. For those who like a course that is like a moderate trail hike, you'll like this place. Superb & clean campground facilities. Lots of trees and tricky shots and some water OBs too. A couple of pin placements on tricky peninsulas that are challenging and fun.

What I like most about this course is that no two holes are really alike out here. You never get that feeling you get at some places where feel like you've "already played this hole."
Cons: It was kinda hard to find the course after getting into the park, but the park is worth seeing if you get lost. Take a left when you pass the entrance ranger station.

The course is best played in the cooler months of the year. When the grass gets high ticks are possible (use precautions).

Possible to lose discs on the water holes. Bring a floater or use discs you won't miss on the water holes.
Other Thoughts: Designed by the up-and-coming Doug "Jabba" Williams so you know it's well done.

Moccasin Bend has a pretty good variety of shots. I like hole 11 which is on the side of an earthen dam and has a steep steep fairway.

Superb wooded course!

1    3/19/2009   3/20/2009
Review By: NDABRUSH
This review was updated on 8/7/2013
Pros: It is 1 minute off of I-20. Good variety of wooded holes. Hole 4 is about 240 to clear the water. for ams like me shots like that feel good when you pull one off but are visually intimidating and you can get psyched out and lose a lot of discs so throw your least favorite plastic on 3&4. Best levee type shot I have ever seen I think is hole 12. It is over 400 but the elevation advantage for short arms like me that usually max out at 300 allows you to actually have a chance to birdie a beautiful over 400 ft. shot! Course is well marked with signs and arrows on trees, just look around. After playing the first 17 which are mostly in the woods hole 18 has the best timing of any hole 18 that I have played. It is a 400 ft.( wide tunnel shot) that the bombers and short arms alike can appreciate after plying the first 17. Several scenic/epic type holes that will definitely stick with you and make you want to drive to Mississippi more often.
Cons: Hole 15. I just don't like 90 degree right angle shots, but once you get up to the basket you will be looking straight out at a scenic view. You will have to spot this hole in order to know where you want to land for your approach shot. the pad for hole 17 is in the back left corner of 16's basket
Other Thoughts: This course is worth making a long drive if you like playing high quality wooded golf courses as much as I.

PLAY THIS COURSE

5+    10/21/2008   11/3/2008
Review By: JesusShoes
This review was updated on 8/7/2009
Pros: Great mix up of holes. It's very well put together. Is very demanding even from the best of players. Accuracy is a must. It has plenty of anhyzers and hyzers to test your game out! The baskets are all in excellent condition and no problems really hitting the chains and sticking on them. The course has plenty of shade to hid from the sun on as well as plenty of open holes to get you that tan you've been wanting! All the holes are well marked so you should have no problem knowing where you are going. The course is kept trimmed by the park staff who are all so nice for doing this for the disc golf community. I have heard a few of them even play a pretty good bit. There are a few benches around the area to sit down and take a break at!
Cons: You can lose your disc here pretty easily on some of the holes. No doubt if you are a backhander without much exp on the dam hole. You have to throw VERY far and have no room to play with to your left. It could really use some more trashcans. There is a bunch of poison ivy in the area so be careful if you are allegric to it. There is one whole where you backtrack a bit to get to the next hole (you don't get in any fairways though so thats as plus)
Other Thoughts: You HAVE to go play this course if you are anywhere in the Jackson or Meridan areas. It is well worth the drive to play it and it's a very easy drive. I-20 all the way.

5+    6/22/2008   6/22/2008
Review By: noahat
This review was updated on 5/26/2009
Pros: Good mix of hole types. Very technical shots, long narrow shots, and some elevation change. Easy to find your way around the course once you get there. Very nice scenery. A couple of epic type holes includes throwing the entire hole over water. One where the basket sits near the top of a huge hill. A little bad luck could cost you dearly on this hole. Nice baskets.
Cons: Can be very muddy after rains. Some holes seem to require more luck than skill with so many trees and no real lanes to throw down.
Other Thoughts: Although the course is somewhat short, there is quite a bit of walking required between some holes. Three dollars to get in the park. Overall, it's definitely worth playing if you're near the area. Very fun course to play.