Johnson City, TN
Winged Deer Park Share
Uploaded By: DiscChainBasket18 Hole #14 (Taken 10/2009)
Hole #14 Tee: Blind, relatively short shot

Good Course. Needs Better Maintenance

5+    10/22/2011   12/2/2011
Review By: Hamlet
Pros: Very technical
Good hike for all 18 holes so good exercise
Enjoyable course--mostly short technical holes with 3-4 longer more open holes.
Multiple pin locations for variety.
Cons: Poor/Unpredictiable Maintenance--sometimes the fairways are nicely cut and sometimes it looks like it may have been months.

Very easy to lose dics here.

On many holes there are multiple pin positions with no indication of where the pin is currently located. Needs pin indicators at all holes.

Hard to find next tee unless your with someone who knows the course.

No running water. No pro-shop.

Other Thoughts: I really like this course and would have rated it a 3.5 or higher but the cons listed above (especially the poor Maintenance) can be very frustrating.

I like that on several holes there are interesting choices to make regarding taking high risk/high reward types of shots.

This Deer hasn't fully spread its wings

1    5/29/2011   6/5/2011
Review By: heelboycraig
This review was updated on 3/5/2012
Pros: Winged Deer is a solid, well-rounded course. If courses were restaurants, it would be the all-you-can eat buffet with all the variety of hole layouts.
- Yes, Winged Deer has just about every type of hole you could imagine. Pulling into the parking lot, I can see that #1 is a wooded, uphill hole, so I'm expecting a lot of elevation throughout the course. Wrong. Nothing had the elevation like #1; although, other holes do have decent elevation, including #4 (downhill), #6 (uphill), #8 (downhill) & #17 (uphill). Course also offers layouts from wide open (#8) to semi-open (#11, 15 &16), tight (#2, 7, 10) to no fairway (#13 &14). Through in doglegs, straight shots, S-layouts, and you have everything except water holes.
- Course does use the terrain very well, presenting some challenging holes. #7 is a daunting tee with trees/thick rough on both sides of the s-shaped fairway. You keep the shot in play, and can be aggressive with your second shot. Hit the trees/rough, and you could waste several shots just to get back in the fairway. #16 has a right-to-left sloping fairway on the course's longest hole. If you can keep your shots in the fairway, once again, you can score well.
- Along those lines, course has tremendous risk/reward factor. Again using #7 as an example, a smart shot might be throwing Roc (or any mid-range) off the tee, sacrificing distance for accuracy. If you're feeling lucky, and throw driver on the hole, in the fairway will put you in great position. Hit the trees, and double bogey, or worse, is in play.
- Great course map online. There are some long walks between holes, blind tee shots, overall potential confusion, so you'll be thankful for it.
- Course is mostly isolated from the rest of the park. I didn't see any walking trails cross over, play through the course, so DGers have the space to themselves. You play near ball fields on #9 & 10, but barring a horrible shot on #10, they're not even in play.
Cons: There was an overall sense of inconsistency throughout the course, which was more disappointing than frustrating. For every two or three great things the course offered, there would be some sort of issue.
- The first, and biggest, problem was the inconsistency in hole layouts. There was no sign or notice at the kiosk what layouts the holes were in. After playing the first several holes, I noticed they were all in the "A" position, so I assumed it'd be that way throughout the round. Nope. I then noticed some tee signs had a marker indicating which position the basket was in, so that was nice, except it appeared on less than a third of the holes. It gets frustrating to either A. walk a hole before playing to see its layout, B. play a generic, safe shot that will put you into an ok position for either layout, or C. hope it's in one layout, and hope you're not wrong.
- Holes #13 & 14 are terrible. Neither has a fairway, unless you count trees as a fairway. Now, if they were short holes (say 150 - 200 feet) where you could throw a big arching shot over the trees to the basket, that's one thing. But there really wasn't a place for that. They were just bad holes, that offered no fun, or anything at all.
- Several other holes just seemed to be fillers. The worst of these were the two most open holes #4 & 8. Both had trees around the tee, but once you cleared those, you were throwing into wide open fields. On #4, it was weird going from three wooded, mountain-esque holes to a polar opposite.
- The metal baskets are hard to see in the woods. As always, yellow baskets, or any other bright color is such a great thing when you're throwing in shadows.
Other Thoughts: Winged Deer is a good course, but I felt like it should have been better. That's why the issues were so frustrating. If the holes were all in one layout, or if every hole had an indicator, that would be huge. Also, there seemed to be plenty of room to replace, or change, the bad holes.
- I loved the variety the course offered. Depending on your taste, there will be some holes you'll really like here, and some that will frustrate you. Then there's #13 & 14, which I don't think anyone will like.
- The course offers plenty of challenge, but there are also some really good birdie chances here. At the end of the day, most DGers will probably think there are some holes they should have done much better with, and probably acknowledge they also got lucky on a hole or two. I think that's you're looking for in any course.
- #7 and #16 are probably the signature holes of the course. They're not necessarily the most fun, but these are the ones where you really need to step up to get a good score. You'll really need to earn a birdie on these two.
- This is a good course for eastern Tennessee. It's definitely a notch below Warriors Path, but still good nonetheless.

2-4    5/20/2011   6/3/2011
Review By: DBdiscgolf
This review was updated on 5/12/2014
Pros: The course starts out great. The first 5 holes are realy good, and some others( 7,8,12) are also pretty good. A few holes that you can realy let your disc fly. Good signs.
Cons: This course is NOT well kept at all. Some holes have NO fairway to speak of(13,14), and the rough is crazy thick(very easy to loose discs). Plus #4 has a huge sink hole that is very easy to loose your disc in.
Other Thoughts: I've given this course many chances and it never impresses me. There is a weird feeling to the park like something is going on (probably because of all the stories that I don't need to mention). But if you are near the course and you are bored you should play it just for the experience. Like I said there are some realy enjoyable holes. I think with some changes and better keep up this could be a realy good course withing a short period of time (revise some holes and clean up the rough and fairways).

Throwing Blind

1    8/14/2010   9/10/2010
Review By: dnbailey
Pros: Wide variety of hole layouts. It's definitely challenging. The park is pretty nice. We had a deer run right up to us while we were playing.
Cons: It's impossible to know where the baskets are unless you just go look or you've played before. Even if you've played it before you can't tell what the pin's position is from the tee box on many of the holes. Sometimes you're just throwing blindly.
Other Thoughts: I played with some guys who'd been to the course before, so that definitely helped. I wouldn't recommend going if you don't have someone to talk you through.

2-4    11/28/2009   11/28/2009
Review By: b_rad44
Pros: Good variation of hole types, challenging and super fun
Cons: Two blind holes with no conventional method of driving the basket, Hole 12 is 8-10ft high?!?!?!, poor signage
Other Thoughts: This course began as a wonderful course, but after the first 6 holes it got a bit strange. Holes 7 through 15 definitely didn't "fit in" with the rest of the holes. They were fun for a random play, but would have been disappointing if I was trying to play a serious game. For a fun weekend I definitely recommend this course...but for a competitive game with a friend it will bite you in the butt! All in all I have to admit I enjoyed this course and will return for some more...

How About Some Signage???

1    10/24/2009   10/24/2009
Review By: jackrbailey72
Pros: Pros:
1) I REALLY liked how this course was laid out and the variety of woods, open, left, right, up hill, down hill, and even the hidden baskets. This is a WELL designed course and I appreciated the challenge it gave me.
2) Nice warm up area and basket that is RIGHT at the tee pad for #1. This is a great place, right out of the car, to warm up, get focused, and make clothing changes (especially now that it is fall).
3) Risk versus Reward. The way this course is laid out FORCES you to make decisions...do I follow the obvious route or do I attempt a money shot that MAY be just out of my rage or ability? If you make the shot, you have a birdie or better chance. If you miss, it hurts...bad...But I like that characteristic about this course.
Cons: Con 1- SIGNAGE SIGNAGE SIGNAGE....If there were signs, direction pointers, and hole layouts, this review would EASILY have been a 4+. I drove over an hour to play here and it is frustrating to have to figure out where to go, break the rythm by having to walk a hole before you play it because there is nothing denoting basket position, hole layout, etc. If it were not for the doubles tournament today, I am not sure if I would have even known the actual length of each hole....come on guys, sqaure this away.
Con 2- Tee pads...the tee pads are VERY short and most are not long enough for a run up or decent X-step...I was forced to a single step or modified X-step to get any momentum RHBH.
Other Thoughts: Winged Deer DG Course is an AWESOME course and will test your every shot and mental game....but the signage and course markings MUST be addressed. Nice job on directions into the park and there is ample parking that is safe no matter what day or time of the year.

The Winged Deer

2-4    9/3/2009   9/15/2009
Review By: Tin Machine
Pros: A lot of the holes on this course are very nicely laid out. The holes that are wooded often have a distinct suggested fairway to take, however there are a couple of nice little risky shots to take to get you closer to the hole. These, of course, will bite you in the end if you don't pull them off.

I like the way the course plays into and out of the woods a few times, keeping the feel of everything fresh and non-repetitive. Also, the chances of running into someone on the course who is not a disc golfer is slim to none, so you don't have to hassle with the occasional passer by you'd find at most park courses.
Cons: What starts out as a strong attempt at decent signage, benches, and trashcans quickly dissipates. You slowly start to lose trashcans, then benches, then navigational signs and info. I really don't see why the park stopped short on what they had going, unless they're doing it piece by piece as they get the funds. Either way, they should continue their early work throughout the course.

Hole 13. This hole was interesting. I can't decide if it was a Pro or a Con. What I mean is, there is absolutely no fairway here. You can't see the basket from the tee. You basically end up having to hurl your disc into the sky and hope it comes down around the very small clearing surrounding the pin. When I saw it for the first time, I couldn't help but laugh. As absurd as it was, I sort of had fun with it, so take that one for what it's worth. Definitely not a conventional hole in the least.
Other Thoughts: Cool course with decent variation. This course really could rate anywhere from pretty good to simply decent depending on you as a player and what you look for in a course. My advice is to anyone playing here, have fun with it and you'll enjoy some of the craziness of it a bit more. Take it too seriously, and it could potentially get on your nerves at times.

Very Unique 18

1    6/13/2009   6/13/2009
Review By: splatbaseball51
This review was updated on 7/17/2009
Pros: Alot of variety in the types of holes. Great mix of open and wooded shots as well as short technical shots and long "Air out" shots. No Navigational issuses. Two holes stick out in my mind and they are ones i will remember throughout my career. Hole 8 is a cool hole in the long position its 410 wide open and you throw from a plateau. Its just one you can cut loose on and hole 12 has a unique pin position. I dont know if its always like this but the bottom of the basket was about 7 feet off the ground. That one ill definately remember.
Cons: General upkeep wasnt the greatest, needs nicer (more) signs.

B- = Be very nice but also a Bit funky

2-4    11/19/2007   6/7/2009
Pros: This course was my #1 rated 9-holer of 60+ I have played. I absolutley love the original 9 holes. The back/new is cedar city...or should I say velcro city! The original 9 are a solid A in my book.....the new holes are a C at best (due to the frustration of loosing discs due to blind throws, and it is not pretty or fun).

What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward. Fair, but harsh punishment for bad decisions or execution. == A
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities for me. I throw 300' accurately, 360' max. == A
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography == A
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion. == B-
5) Bonus points for multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them. == N/A

Winged Deer

5+    4/10/2009   4/20/2009
Review By: cloudyoday
Pros: Nice variety of holes, attractive course, 18 holes.
Cons: The main complaint I have is the fact that there many blind shots, that is you have no clue were to throw unless you have played the course before. Also, there are MANY annoying cedar trees to grab and hold a stray throw.