Johnson City, TN
Winged Deer Park Share
Uploaded By: DiscChainBasket18 Hole #2 (Taken 10/2009)
3 / --   3 / 246ft.   3 / --   3 / -- Par / Distance:

Fantastic Course!

1    5/17/2014   5/25/2014
Review By: SikMonkey
Pros: Love this course! A very well thought out course in the beautiful TN mountains! It's challenging without being discouraging and has a great mix of shots. Some potential for a lost disc, but surprisingly low for such a large, wooded course.
Cons: None that I can think of. I only played it once though so I was more focused on learning the course.

Tough and Fun

5+    5/10/2014   5/12/2014
Review By: lammersk
Pros: This is the toughest course I've played (#2 is Warriors Path and #3 is Richmond Hill) and it is still my favorite. Almost every pin rewards accuracy instead of simple brute strength throwing. There are a number of pins here which could be "the" tough pin elsewhere and while there are some distance shots, none of them are across a wide open grassy field (although some look deceptively like they are). This means that even on the long throws people have to maintain control.

There are a variety of fairways which will expose you to just about anything you would want in a disc golf course.

Uphills: 1 & 6 - Both of these in the long position are challenging. 1 has the steeper incline with small trees to shoot around; 6 has a rocky hill to shoot up with a large tree in the middle that knocks a lot of discs down. 6 is almost always in the long position. Unfortunately, 1 seems to spend more time in the short.

Downhill: There are a number of downhill shots, but the best of the lot are 4 & 8. Both of these have a tee up on a hill overlooking significant rough which you have to throw over to get to an open, grassy field and then shoot for the basket. I really like these pins because there is a significant incentive to make that throw off the tee (roughs here are actually rough), but you generally don't lose your disc if you don't have the arm or screw up.

Flat: 5, 15, & 16 are most representative of this class. Yes, there are some pins you can uncork that massive cannon of an arm that I hate you for. However, you need to be accurate too. You can't crank out a huge throw off to the right and count on the disc to hook back into the basket. That way leads to lots of tree strikes and shooting from wherever the ricochet lands. 5 is something of an exception to this, but even it requires you to shoot under an overhanging branch so that you will probably be forced to throw flatter than you might like.

Tough: While there aren't any pins here I would call cupcakes, there are several that separate the men from the boys, women from the girls, and pros from the ams.

On 13 and 14, if you get par you should pat yourself on the back. An average player can do it, but it ain't easy. On 13 you do a short shot just to the curve in the fairway. Then you shoot over the hill. Then you putt. On 14 I've had some luck shooting just up into the trees and then throwing overhand to get an uphill roll to the open area. If it works, I putt for par. BE ADVISED: This only works for me about every 3rd time; yesterday, my whippet rolled perfectly between the trees, into the open area, and then turned around and rolled about thirty feet back into the woods (as I yelled obscenities at it).

A pro player can high-hyzer both these pins for a shot at an ace or birdie. Although I've never seen it, I've heard of several people doing it on 13. I didn't think it could be done on 14 until I saw a guy do it about three months ago. He threw that disc high enough that it must have hit clouds. Then, it came down right smack in the middle of the open area. Of course, that was mid-winter. There are a lot more leaves in May, so I'm not sure he'd be able to do it now (after all, it's always possible someone slipped him some kryptonite over the last couple months).

16 is almost always in the long position (577 feet). It looks like it's going to be just a series of heaves. However, the trees on both sides are closer than you think and that tree in the fairway on the right means you aren't going to be able to just heave it down the right hand side. This is the only par 4 on the course and I have never gotten anywhere near par.
Cons: 1 (in the long position) - I think this is a solid pin which takes skill to play, but I've talked to people who did 1 in the long position and left to go play somewhere else (usually Warriors Path). The tough uphill shot combined with a climb that winds anyone older than thirty can be rough. I think this is the reason that the basket seems to be most often in the much easier forward position.

4 (the pit) - After you clear the rough and you are on the grass, there is a large drop off on the right hand side. If your disc goes in there, you have to decide whether it's worth the risk to try to climb down and get it. I left a DX Shark there yesterday which was on top of shrubs ten feet from the edge of the pit and the only "path" near it would have qualified for mountain climbing training. Given a choice between buying another $10 disc and possibly falling and breaking my neck, I left the disc where it was hanging.

Could use some signage. I play this course every week, so I can find everything, but there are a couple places where signs would be helpful: 6 to 7; 9 to 10 (the natural place to go seems to be 11).

Finding the course: A lot of people complain that they have trouble finding the course. There are signs as you drive up. Don't go to the ballfields; instead, follow the signs to the lake (Carroll Creek Road). The course is across the street from the parking lot for the boat ramp.
Other Thoughts: I play this course almost every week. It's the most frustrating, enjoyable course I play. To give you a point of reference, I've been disc golfing for a little over 9 months now and most places I get a few more pars than I do bogeys. In contrast, at Winged Deer I'm shooting bogeys with a smattering of double bogeys (see notes above about 16) and a few pars. This is the one course I play regularly that I've yet to get a birdie on (missed one on 2 yesterday by the skin of my teeth).

A lot of people bypass this for Warriors Path. Winged Deer is a little tougher and a little more apropos for a more serious disc golf crowd. The way I'd describe it is that at Warriors Path you're playing to beat the person next to you while at Winged Deer you may have someone playing with you, but you're both playing to beat the course.

mostly secluded

1    7/17/2013   7/19/2013
Review By: mjs2055
This review was updated on 9/4/2014
Pros: This course is away from most of the other activities at the park. It is in a wooded area but has some open holes that give it a nice variety. The rough was well traveled enough that I did not lose a disc. It is a fun course that requires a variety of shots. Navigation was not that difficult and there were plenty of benches and trash cans. The course was well maintained and no other park activities interfered with the course.
Cons: The pin placement did not always match where it said it was at the tee, which is not too big of a deal. Met some crazy rednecks in the woods that were not even discing and I have no idea what they were doing there.
Other Thoughts: A nice secluded park that offers a wide variety of shots. I would definitely play here again due to the fun factor. If you are in the area you should come play it at least once.

Better than warriors Path

1    7/29/2012   7/29/2012
Review By: aPfaff
Pros: - Beautiful teesigns
- Little bars that indicated what pin it was in
- Grass was freshly mowed
- Hole #8 was just a brilliant hole (500 ft downhill)
- No litter
- Disc golf course secluded from other park amenities
- Some DGA Mach 3's that were pretty new.
- Concrete tees
- Nice elevation changes
- Difference of hole types (right, left, up, down, wooded, open)
- Benches at most or all holes I can't remember.
- Some of the areas were mulched
- Beautiful scenery (MTNS.)
- This is a biggie for me... diferent types of trees (Pines, Maples, etc.)
Cons: -Tees were a bit small on some holes
- Holes 13 and 14 were kind of weird, but if you have an arm you can just launch it over the trees
- Warm up basket isn't the same type of basket as the course
- No bathroom on site.
- some of the rough was well Rough!
Other Thoughts: It is a much better course IMO than Warriors Path. If I'm ever in the area I'd play Winged Deer again.

Tournament caliber course.

1    7/30/2011   8/3/2011
Review By: Scazmatic
Pros: - Great variety in every aspect of course design. Changes in elevation, both open and wooded holes, left-hand and right-hand doglegs, and good mix of distances.

- Concrete tee pads in great condition, with signs indicating all possible pin placements, distances, and location of the next tee.

- Alternate pin locations on all but one hole, with some having as many as three options.

- Ample parking, practice basket, and friendly locals.
Cons: - Navigation between holes is often difficult. While signs point to next tee, there is often a great distance to be covered from one hole to the next, including backtracking at times, which can lead to confusion.

- Rough is extremely unforgiving and finding an errant disc will be difficult on some holes. Copious amount of pine trees on course will also cause a lot of discs to hang up in the branches.

- No bathroom or water facilities, at least that I could find.

- Entrance to course is somewhat difficult to find, as access road to the course is separate from the rest of Winged Dear park and not necessarily intuitive to find without specific directions.
Other Thoughts: My brother attends graduate school in Johnson City, so while visiting him I decided to give Winged Deer a try. Though there are at least five courses within a reasonable drive of the area, reviews I'd read suggested this might be a good place to start.

First of all, I had a bit of a hard time finding the actual course. Winged Deer Park sits right off the main highway and features the softball and soccer fields, walking path, etc. as well as park offices. However, other than being able to see Hole 12's basket, you can't access the disc golf course from this area. Rather, the access road to the course (Carroll Creek Road) is located immediately past the park to the west. Once you realize that, signage to the start of the course is very easy to follow.

I was able to join up with a group of locals just starting their second round, and always that was a big help in navigating the course for the first time. Though the tee signage is very good at giving hole information and even directions to the next tee, there is a lot of room between holes on the backside of the course and I definitely would have gotten lost at least once if I hadn't had a guide. Apparently the course was originally nine holes, with the additional holes added about three years ago around and among the last holes on the front nine, so the transitions back there are a little complicated.

The course itself was a blast to play. My skill level is somewhere between avid beginner and intermediate, and I felt like this course suited my wants and needs for a course perfectly. The front nine starts off in the woods with some tight technical holes with guarded baskets, then works it's way out into the open for a few holes before crossing into the woods on the other side of the park. There is ample opportunity to let big drives go as well as test your precision game. Both backhand and forehand shots are required, and distances are varied enough that it's neither overwhelming or boring. I was also a big fan of a couple holes that required an "up and over" shot type. Hole 13 specifically comes to mind. My local courses don't require drives above the treeline, so that was both an intimidating and entertaining addition to my round.

The course is by no means a cakewalk. It's definitely more of an expert course than it is a beginner, and I can imagine novice players being frustrated or overwhelmed by some of the holes. Hole 16, in particular, is a beast and will really test a shorter drive. But with that said, I think it was perfectly fair and very well designed. I understand there was a major tournament on site the weekend after I played, and that doesn't surprise me at all based on the quality of the facilities.

I should mention the rough, which is very unforgiving. The guys I played with commented about how much brush had been cleared since the last time they had played, but even with that there is still a lot of places where a drive out of the fairway is going to require a lot of hunting and digging to find the disc. There are also a lot of dense pine trees on course, and if possible you might want to have a spotter down range to track drives as it's very easy to get stuck in a tree and never be able to find your disc.

There's also a nice little bonus hole at the end of the course, as I was shown by my guides, throwing from the paved walkway about Hole 18's basket across an empty parking lot to the practice basket on the opposing hillside.

I didn't see a restroom or a water fountain, and given the heat we've been seeing this summer, I can't imagine playing here without bringing your own drinks. But as for other amenities, there were benches and trash cans at various spots, and I can't really complain about course conditions in general.

I had a blast playing at Winged Deer and would have loved to have played a second round if not for the stifling heat. The course is well designed and maintained and I will definitely be back the next time I'm in the area.

Challenged like winged foot golf

1    7/14/2011   7/15/2011
Review By: bama9125
Pros: it has everything that PDGA would use for tourney. #1 hole go uphill big time. and rest of the course has variety of elevation! ll trees in play! and every tee area has nice sign layout and even tell u where the next tee would be.
Cons: no bathroom!! and few hole in between has long gap! i dont mind the walking but if it has no layout as to tell where the next layut then it ll be hard to navigating. and hole 15th and 16th hole are brutal and both deserve par 4 and 5 respectevily.
Other Thoughts: nice to play in summer bec lot of trees shades but need to put bug/mosquito spray on before play during summer. i went there when i visit my parent in law. i will go play there every time i visit. definity worth play!

1    7/22/2010   8/23/2010
Review By: jimmazz
Pros: not crowded, good fairways, and good course markings.
Cons: none... fun course, good people. highly recomended
Other Thoughts: I met some good folks here. Really challenging course, but totally fun. No big crowds. Take your time and enjoy the east tn hils.

Venison Done Right!

1    10/24/2009   10/27/2009
Review By: DSCJNKY
Pros:
- Bad Ass Holes. Winged Deer is Bad Ass! Several holes give you that "Ball Golf" feeling… and the others are great wooded (not too tight, not too open, tons of punishment for bad drives) holes… Awesome!
- Blind Shots. Personally I loved holes 13 and 14, two spike hyzers with absolutely no view of the pin. Fun shots… risky, but fun.
- Club Support. It appears as if the local club has really been doing a good job maintaining and improving the course.
Cons:
- Mix-Match Baskets. No consistency to the baskets either. Most were new DGA baskets (which I personally don't like due to the inner chain structure), but a few were mix-match.
- Tee-Pads. The tee-pads were mix-matched. All were concrete (yeah), but some were too small, some had a smooth finish, others rough… no consistency. Also, one of the tee-pads had a knee high rock formation literally 2 inches off the front edge - Dangerous!
- Sloping Tee-Pad(s). Hole 13's tee slopes downhill, and since you have to throw a fairly large uphill spike hyzer, it makes for an awkward drive on a difficult hole. Other tees sloped too, but 13's is the only one that had an impact on my drive.
- Signage. The signage was old and mostly busted up.
- If Only. If only this course had consistent, large, concrete tee-pads, one type of basket and quality signage… it would be top notch. It pretty much still is… but, it could be more. The Bad Assness definitely outweighs the cons in terms of experience, but the cons hurt the overall score.
- Destination Golf. This area is a hotbed for great disc golf courses. Plan your road trip here! Warrior's Path and Fossil Hill are just a short drive away… Good Stuff! I'm coming back.

Tough but Sweet course!

1    10/20/2009   10/22/2009
Review By: DiscChainBasket18
Pros: Beautiful park setting with wide open & tightly wooded shots. Clean disc golf only course with mowed grass fairways. Elevation comes into play on many holes. Large benches grace many holes. Practice basket. Large, concrete tee pads.
Cons: Could use more tee signs. #6 tee pad butts up against a rock outcropping which could interfere with your run up.
Other Thoughts: This course really made me stop & think about what I would throw on many holes. It's a real thinker's course because many holes offer optional routes to the pin. Some (like #13) have no fairway or sight of the pin.

Awesome tee signs

5+    1/6/2009   1/17/2009
Review By: adamc30523
This review was updated on 8/15/2010
Pros: Good mix of holes. Right to left, left to right, straight, up hill, down hill, flat, short, and long .Well defined fairways. Each hole secluded from others. Beautiful brand new tee signs. Best signs in the tri citys!
Cons: Needs longer tee pads.
Other Thoughts: Great course if your around Johnson City you should defiantly check it out. Also,this is just a great disc golf area. Great courses around this area. If your with in driving distance its worth the road trip to play in this area. Also, before everybody starts going off about how this course starts out good. Then ends poorly because of the lack of signage its because people have stolen them. not because the park didn't put them there! New signs are planed. As for the bench there is one on ever hole now.