Johnson City, TN
Winged Deer Park Share
Uploaded By: DiscChainBasket18 Hole #1 (Taken 10/2009)
3 / --   3 / 229ft.   3 / --   3 / -- Par / Distance:

2-4    11/28/2009   11/28/2009
Review By: b_rad44
Pros: Good variation of hole types, challenging and super fun
Cons: Two blind holes with no conventional method of driving the basket, Hole 12 is 8-10ft high?!?!?!, poor signage
Other Thoughts: This course began as a wonderful course, but after the first 6 holes it got a bit strange. Holes 7 through 15 definitely didn't "fit in" with the rest of the holes. They were fun for a random play, but would have been disappointing if I was trying to play a serious game. For a fun weekend I definitely recommend this course...but for a competitive game with a friend it will bite you in the butt! All in all I have to admit I enjoyed this course and will return for some more...

Venison Done Right!

1    10/24/2009   10/27/2009
Review By: DSCJNKY
Pros:
- Bad Ass Holes. Winged Deer is Bad Ass! Several holes give you that "Ball Golf" feeling… and the others are great wooded (not too tight, not too open, tons of punishment for bad drives) holes… Awesome!
- Blind Shots. Personally I loved holes 13 and 14, two spike hyzers with absolutely no view of the pin. Fun shots… risky, but fun.
- Club Support. It appears as if the local club has really been doing a good job maintaining and improving the course.
Cons:
- Mix-Match Baskets. No consistency to the baskets either. Most were new DGA baskets (which I personally don't like due to the inner chain structure), but a few were mix-match.
- Tee-Pads. The tee-pads were mix-matched. All were concrete (yeah), but some were too small, some had a smooth finish, others rough… no consistency. Also, one of the tee-pads had a knee high rock formation literally 2 inches off the front edge - Dangerous!
- Sloping Tee-Pad(s). Hole 13's tee slopes downhill, and since you have to throw a fairly large uphill spike hyzer, it makes for an awkward drive on a difficult hole. Other tees sloped too, but 13's is the only one that had an impact on my drive.
- Signage. The signage was old and mostly busted up.
- If Only. If only this course had consistent, large, concrete tee-pads, one type of basket and quality signage… it would be top notch. It pretty much still is… but, it could be more. The Bad Assness definitely outweighs the cons in terms of experience, but the cons hurt the overall score.
- Destination Golf. This area is a hotbed for great disc golf courses. Plan your road trip here! Warrior's Path and Fossil Hill are just a short drive away… Good Stuff! I'm coming back.

How About Some Signage???

1    10/24/2009   10/24/2009
Review By: jackrbailey72
Pros: Pros:
1) I REALLY liked how this course was laid out and the variety of woods, open, left, right, up hill, down hill, and even the hidden baskets. This is a WELL designed course and I appreciated the challenge it gave me.
2) Nice warm up area and basket that is RIGHT at the tee pad for #1. This is a great place, right out of the car, to warm up, get focused, and make clothing changes (especially now that it is fall).
3) Risk versus Reward. The way this course is laid out FORCES you to make decisions...do I follow the obvious route or do I attempt a money shot that MAY be just out of my rage or ability? If you make the shot, you have a birdie or better chance. If you miss, it hurts...bad...But I like that characteristic about this course.
Cons: Con 1- SIGNAGE SIGNAGE SIGNAGE....If there were signs, direction pointers, and hole layouts, this review would EASILY have been a 4+. I drove over an hour to play here and it is frustrating to have to figure out where to go, break the rythm by having to walk a hole before you play it because there is nothing denoting basket position, hole layout, etc. If it were not for the doubles tournament today, I am not sure if I would have even known the actual length of each hole....come on guys, sqaure this away.
Con 2- Tee pads...the tee pads are VERY short and most are not long enough for a run up or decent X-step...I was forced to a single step or modified X-step to get any momentum RHBH.
Other Thoughts: Winged Deer DG Course is an AWESOME course and will test your every shot and mental game....but the signage and course markings MUST be addressed. Nice job on directions into the park and there is ample parking that is safe no matter what day or time of the year.

Tough but Sweet course!

1    10/20/2009   10/22/2009
Review By: DiscChainBasket18
Pros: Beautiful park setting with wide open & tightly wooded shots. Clean disc golf only course with mowed grass fairways. Elevation comes into play on many holes. Large benches grace many holes. Practice basket. Large, concrete tee pads.
Cons: Could use more tee signs. #6 tee pad butts up against a rock outcropping which could interfere with your run up.
Other Thoughts: This course really made me stop & think about what I would throw on many holes. It's a real thinker's course because many holes offer optional routes to the pin. Some (like #13) have no fairway or sight of the pin.

The Winged Deer

2-4    9/3/2009   9/15/2009
Review By: Tin Machine
Pros: A lot of the holes on this course are very nicely laid out. The holes that are wooded often have a distinct suggested fairway to take, however there are a couple of nice little risky shots to take to get you closer to the hole. These, of course, will bite you in the end if you don't pull them off.

I like the way the course plays into and out of the woods a few times, keeping the feel of everything fresh and non-repetitive. Also, the chances of running into someone on the course who is not a disc golfer is slim to none, so you don't have to hassle with the occasional passer by you'd find at most park courses.
Cons: What starts out as a strong attempt at decent signage, benches, and trashcans quickly dissipates. You slowly start to lose trashcans, then benches, then navigational signs and info. I really don't see why the park stopped short on what they had going, unless they're doing it piece by piece as they get the funds. Either way, they should continue their early work throughout the course.

Hole 13. This hole was interesting. I can't decide if it was a Pro or a Con. What I mean is, there is absolutely no fairway here. You can't see the basket from the tee. You basically end up having to hurl your disc into the sky and hope it comes down around the very small clearing surrounding the pin. When I saw it for the first time, I couldn't help but laugh. As absurd as it was, I sort of had fun with it, so take that one for what it's worth. Definitely not a conventional hole in the least.
Other Thoughts: Cool course with decent variation. This course really could rate anywhere from pretty good to simply decent depending on you as a player and what you look for in a course. My advice is to anyone playing here, have fun with it and you'll enjoy some of the craziness of it a bit more. Take it too seriously, and it could potentially get on your nerves at times.

Winged Deer

5+    10/17/2012   8/29/2009
Review By: JimDK27
This review was updated on 10/18/2012
Pros: Good hole layout
It has some deceptively challenging holes
They have benches on just about every hole now
They have trash cans about every 3
There are some signs that direct you to the next tee
They have new tee signs on every hole! They have pin location designators on a handful of them which is also nice.
Cons: There are cedar trees in abundance but they are avoidable.
It only has detailed signs for the first 4 holes.
There are a couple holes that are dangerous if your disc goes off course
There is poison ivy in various areas on the course so be careful looking for discs gone astray
The pin designators aren't on the holes that they are needed imo. Some of the holes have blind tee shots like hole 6 where you can't see the basket in either of its positions from the tee.
It seems they need some more trash cans now. This time when I went I only remember one. There were a lot of trash bags hanging from trees that critters had ripped the bottoms open.
Other Thoughts: When I went the gate to the parking lot was closed so we started on hole 5 and ended on hole 4, it worked out perfectly. We parked at the little turn around spot at the gate.
They have concrete tee pads that vary in size from narrow to a few that seemed abnormally large.

2-4    7/23/2009   7/23/2009
Review By: tnbruisers
Pros: Variety of holes. Large parking lot. Course is easy to follow from hole to hole. Not far from home.
Cons: Alot of holes missing tee signs. Too many cedar trees. Upkeep of the park is awful (undergrowth on course).

Sets The Bar High Early, Then ...

1    7/4/2009   7/12/2009
Review By: swatso
This review was updated on 7/15/2010
Pros:
Private area of park, large parking lot. Practice basket. Relatively simple to follow, even without a map available. Near food/petrol options.

First four holes have: Excellent signs showing possible basket locations, and listing distances to each position. Nice benches. Garbage cans. First three were all wooded with fair throwing paths and minor elevation changes, and number four has you throwing out of the woods into an open field. At this point, the course reminded me of some other strong eastern Tennessee courses, such as nearby Warriors Path, or Morristown a bit farther afield.
Cons:
The remainder of the course was a let down after the strong start. Less than half the holes had any type of signs, so you needed to scout ahead to find the basket's location. Benches and trash cans were far and few between. A few holes, I think #13 as an example, didn't have any real fairways to speak of, and rollers weren't an option, so essentially you had to huck your disc as high and long as you could, and hope it didn't get caught in a disc-snatching cedar on the way down, and that you could find it after it landed sight unseen on the other side of various trees and possibly in undergrowth.
There were still some good holes the final fourteen (number 17 comes to mind - it was wooded, and similar to the first three), and there was some variety - open, wooded, partial, turning both ways, some elevation changes, distances ranging from under 200' to just under 600'.

FYI, to find hole#16, continue walking downhill from #15's basket. When a broad path crosses your path, turn left onto it.

Continuing the initial quality signs, benches, and trashcans throughout the entire course would be a major plus, as would redesigning a few holes to create some "fair"ways.

Very Unique 18

1    6/13/2009   6/13/2009
Review By: splatbaseball51
This review was updated on 7/17/2009
Pros: Alot of variety in the types of holes. Great mix of open and wooded shots as well as short technical shots and long "Air out" shots. No Navigational issuses. Two holes stick out in my mind and they are ones i will remember throughout my career. Hole 8 is a cool hole in the long position its 410 wide open and you throw from a plateau. Its just one you can cut loose on and hole 12 has a unique pin position. I dont know if its always like this but the bottom of the basket was about 7 feet off the ground. That one ill definately remember.
Cons: General upkeep wasnt the greatest, needs nicer (more) signs.

B- = Be very nice but also a Bit funky

2-4    11/19/2007   6/7/2009
Pros: This course was my #1 rated 9-holer of 60+ I have played. I absolutley love the original 9 holes. The back/new is cedar city...or should I say velcro city! The original 9 are a solid A in my book.....the new holes are a C at best (due to the frustration of loosing discs due to blind throws, and it is not pretty or fun).

What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward. Fair, but harsh punishment for bad decisions or execution. == A
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities for me. I throw 300' accurately, 360' max. == A
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography == A
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion. == B-
5) Bonus points for multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them. == N/A