Johnson City, TN
Winged Deer Park Share
Uploaded By: DiscChainBasket18 Hole #6 (Taken 10/2009)
Hole #6 Approach: Basket is up around corner to the left

1 2 3 4 Next >
 Sets The Bar High Early, Then ...

1    7/4/2009   7/12/2009
Review By: swatso
This review was updated on 7/15/2010
Pros:
Private area of park, large parking lot. Practice basket. Relatively simple to follow, even without a map available. Near food/petrol options.

First four holes have: Excellent signs showing possible basket locations, and listing distances to each position. Nice benches. Garbage cans. First three were all wooded with fair throwing paths and minor elevation changes, and number four has you throwing out of the woods into an open field. At this point, the course reminded me of some other strong eastern Tennessee courses, such as nearby Warriors Path, or Morristown a bit farther afield.
Cons:
The remainder of the course was a let down after the strong start. Less than half the holes had any type of signs, so you needed to scout ahead to find the basket's location. Benches and trash cans were far and few between. A few holes, I think #13 as an example, didn't have any real fairways to speak of, and rollers weren't an option, so essentially you had to huck your disc as high and long as you could, and hope it didn't get caught in a disc-snatching cedar on the way down, and that you could find it after it landed sight unseen on the other side of various trees and possibly in undergrowth.
There were still some good holes the final fourteen (number 17 comes to mind - it was wooded, and similar to the first three), and there was some variety - open, wooded, partial, turning both ways, some elevation changes, distances ranging from under 200' to just under 600'.

FYI, to find hole#16, continue walking downhill from #15's basket. When a broad path crosses your path, turn left onto it.

Continuing the initial quality signs, benches, and trashcans throughout the entire course would be a major plus, as would redesigning a few holes to create some "fair"ways.

Very Unique 18

1    6/13/2009   6/13/2009
Review By: splatbaseball51
This review was updated on 7/17/2009
Pros: Alot of variety in the types of holes. Great mix of open and wooded shots as well as short technical shots and long "Air out" shots. No Navigational issuses. Two holes stick out in my mind and they are ones i will remember throughout my career. Hole 8 is a cool hole in the long position its 410 wide open and you throw from a plateau. Its just one you can cut loose on and hole 12 has a unique pin position. I dont know if its always like this but the bottom of the basket was about 7 feet off the ground. That one ill definately remember.
Cons: General upkeep wasnt the greatest, needs nicer (more) signs.

B- = Be very nice but also a Bit funky

2-4    11/19/2007   6/7/2009
Pros: This course was my #1 rated 9-holer of 60+ I have played. I absolutley love the original 9 holes. The back/new is cedar city...or should I say velcro city! The original 9 are a solid A in my book.....the new holes are a C at best (due to the frustration of loosing discs due to blind throws, and it is not pretty or fun).

What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward. Fair, but harsh punishment for bad decisions or execution. == A
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities for me. I throw 300' accurately, 360' max. == A
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography == A
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion. == B-
5) Bonus points for multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them. == N/A

Over time, I expect to fill some of my reviews in with more descriptive verbiage...if what I can add anything to what has already been written. For now, my list is more important to me than the verbiage of my reviews.

I fully expect others with different tastes/philosophies to disagree with me....that's the fun of things here. See my profile for my rating philosophy.

Winged Deer

5+    4/10/2009   4/20/2009
Review By: cloudyoday
Pros: Nice variety of holes, attractive course, 18 holes.
Cons: The main complaint I have is the fact that there many blind shots, that is you have no clue were to throw unless you have played the course before. Also, there are MANY annoying cedar trees to grab and hold a stray throw.

JC Disc Golf

5+    2/1/2009   2/3/2009
Review By: ThrowTennesseeDCM
Pros: Great Mix of Holes. Well Layed Out. My Home Course
Cons: Needs Longer Tee Pads on a lot of the holes. More events need to be hosted.
Other Thoughts: This is the first course i ever played, and the one that i play the most. Great mix of holes. short, long, tight, open, left, right.

Awesome tee signs

5+    1/6/2009   1/17/2009
Review By: adamc30523
This review was updated on 8/15/2010
Pros: Good mix of holes. Right to left, left to right, straight, up hill, down hill, flat, short, and long .Well defined fairways. Each hole secluded from others. Beautiful brand new tee signs. Best signs in the tri citys!
Cons: Needs longer tee pads.
Other Thoughts: Great course if your around Johnson City you should defiantly check it out. Also,this is just a great disc golf area. Great courses around this area. If your with in driving distance its worth the road trip to play in this area. Also, before everybody starts going off about how this course starts out good. Then ends poorly because of the lack of signage its because people have stolen them. not because the park didn't put them there! New signs are planed. As for the bench there is one on ever hole now.

1 2 3 4 Next >