Kewaunee, WI
Winter Park Share
Uploaded By: superberry Hole #15 (Taken 5/2009)
4 / 520ft.   3 / 710ft.   3 / -- Par / Distance:

Good course, not one of the best

1    9/22/2011   9/26/2011
Review By: wadeG
Pros: I played the blue tees due to the course being designed for them. It's hard to understand from the pictures the amount of elevation changes in each shot. Hole 15 is a bomb off the top of the hill which was fun and memorable. Once to the top of the hill through a winding back and forth lightly uphill shots, there are several holes in a tightly wooded area. Most of these holes are downhill or flat with rows of trees. After the wooded holes it is back and forth on the top of the hill and working back down the hill slowly. Once to the bottom there are several holes consuming a valley with a light creek. These holes are zigzagging the valley with downhill and flat shots that are fairly short.
Cons: It is of course a ski hill and mountain biking trail, so they had some limitations building it. I didn't feel the majority of the shots were solid and challenging holes. For a ski hill there were quite a few holes with little elevation and the elevations could have been used much more than it was. Quite a few wooded holes lacked an honest fairway. It was a good course, it wasn't a great experience as I've had playing other top courses.
Other Thoughts: I went to this course because it was on the top 10 at the time I went. It lacks some luster to be on the top 10.

Date: 12/14/2012 Designer Response by: superberry
Many reviewers often discuss "what could have been", I admit that I do it too. However, we could NOT have used the elevation of the ski hill any better. In fact, in 2004-2006 we did have two holes that played down the hill, and one straight up the middle under the lift wires. It became entirely too difficult, and ultimately proved impossible to keep the grasses on the ski hill mowed. They reach 8' in height! The only way to mow was with the County 45hp tractors and brush hogs. And because of the steep incline, if the hill was wet at all, they wouldn't attempt to mow. So in 2007 we had to redesign 5 of the original holes and create a new 18 hole layout. The 27 hole layout followed in 2009 with loops off the 18 hole course that showcased some amazing sharp elevation in the three neat wooded ravines. Elevation use here is amazingly creative!

A very nice par 3 course

1    8/5/2009   1/4/2010
Review By: cydisc
Pros: - 18 + 9 holes for variety
- A semi-private feel to it
- Fantastic scenery
- Lots of elevation

Cons: - Natural/gravel tees
- Some holes are a bit rough
- No on-site refreshments
Other Thoughts: I played the course while on vacation in August. My wife and I pulled up to the course and were pleasantly surprised to be the only ones there. I strolled around the chalet to see if there was anywhere to check in or pay green fee but it was closed. Found the drop box by the message sign. My wife decided she didn't want to play, taking her camera instead to get some nature shots as I played. She wasn't disappointed.

The course starts and ends at the base of a ski/sledding hill. The course winds its way up the hill and zig-zags through some dense forest. There are 27 holes out there, but instead of 18 holes and a separate 9, the add-on holes are played by splitting off from the official 18 and playing a loop of holes here and there. So, you can either play 18 or 27, but you can't easily just play the 9.

Along the way, there are a couple of vantage point, particularly in the upper parts of the course where you are treated to some spectacular scenery of the river valley that the course sits beside.

Overall, the course is a challenging par 3 course with nice variety and balance of shot shapes. Fairways seem to be appropriately sized for the lengths of the holes (tighter shots on shorter holes). The add-on holes are primarily finesse shots through the thicker parts of the course and are a lot of fun to throw. I wouldn't try playing some of these after it's rained, however, as there is some very steep terrain to climb and was a bit treacherous for us even when it was dry.

A high point of the round included the obligatory long downhill crusher of #15. I was kind of disappointed with the only par 4 on the course, #16, as this is basically a wide-open, throw it as far as you can and a short pitch to the basket for a drop-in 3.

It's a very good course and I will play it again next time we're in the area.

First Time a Time to remember

1    6/18/2009   6/19/2009
Review By: theycallmejg15
Pros: Holes are no where near the same as any of the holes in the park. Each shot is challenging and different then the last throw you had. Awesome shot on hole 15 going straight off the side of the tube hill down to the basket 715ft down and out from your position.
Cons: Not for the beginner.. lots of challenging pin placements and accurate shots needed to navigate some of the wooded holes. Poison Ivy on the 15th hole hill on the lefthand side when looking out over the dropoff.
Lots of physical walking required so be ready for a workout!
Other Thoughts: I loved this course! The scenery on top of the hill was amazing! Bring bug spray! No one was around when we were here so we could take our time. Well put together course! I will be back!