Kewaunee, WI
Winter Park Share
Uploaded By: superberry Hole #13
4 / 205ft.   3 / 210ft.   3 / -- Par / Distance:

by far the best course i have played to date

1    11/17/2012   11/17/2012
Review By: booradly
This review was updated on 11/19/2012
Pros: -nice park
-huge changes in elevation
-easy navigation
-holes 1,2 ,4 make for good warm up holes to get you lose
- holes 7,8,9,a,b,c,d,e made for some of the hardest/ most fun holes i have ever played up on the top of the hill in the woods(not to take away from holes 12,13,g,h,i,14,15 that are awesome i was just on top of my game up on top of the hill) the 8 holes on the top of the hill are all very heavily wooded that force you to throw through really tight windows.
-12,13,g,h,i,14 are all in a valley around a creek and are also awesome holes that really test your skill, g is my my personal my favorite in this section of the course the pad is up on the side of the valley and you throw a tight line back down into it
-15 is super fun you throw from the top of the hill all the way down to the bottom its a bomber but with how high up you are its not hard to get a good way up the fairway. but it is awesome to see your disc fly that far up in the air.
Cons: -this course could really use some better pads
-hole 3 is a really fun hole but i would have liked to get a little more warmed up before a though hole like that
-holes 10,f,11 could be made a little harder being mostly open with woods around them
-after how epic 15 was 16,17,18 were lame being open field shots down near the road that leads to the parking lot and are by far the worst 3 holes on the course. but all of the epic ones more then make up for it
Other Thoughts: i drove from the west burbs of Chicago up here to play and if i only played this course it would be well worth the trip. this blows all of my local courses away.
this is by far the best course i have played. there are many courses down by me that are rated in the 4's but this course is so much better i had to rate it a five maybe if i find something better i might change this to a 4.5 but its a 5 to me until i play something better

WOW!!!

1    6/28/2011   7/2/2011
Review By: matrathvy
Pros: I found this course to be a true challenge. In all the best ways though. When we got to the course there was a sense of AWE just looking at the fact that it was all over the Ski Hill. Every basket seemed to be placed in the optimum place for that hole. Some of them used the trees for obstacles, others used geography and a few used distance(or lack of).
Cons: Walking the hills was difficult, but I'm not the most fit discer. The holes that water was in play were disappointing, not that I want to lose discs in rivers and ponds, but I was expecting something tougher then a stream that is 3 inches deep.
Other Thoughts: The views from the top of the hill were amazing. The signage was decent, each hole was marked well and had the information needed but the signs pointing to the next hole were slices of logs with permanent marker on them. In other words hard to spot from time to time. All in all, I don't understand how this course FELL from the Top 10 best on this website! It deserved its spot in MANY ways.

1    8/5/2010   9/6/2010
Review By: Frosty
Pros: - An amazing mix of shots
- Not for the beginning player so it keeps the pace going
- Gourgeous area
- The best disc golf course I have played to date
Cons: - Didn't have enough time to play it twice
- Bugs were bad during mid- August
Other Thoughts: -Amazing, you have to try it

A+ = Winter Park is perfection realized!

1    6/27/2010   7/12/2010
Pros: What I personally like and how this course (from the Blue tees) stacks up in my list of 18 (and more) hole courses:

1) Holes with good risk/reward. Fair, but harsh punishment for bad decisions or execution. == A+

(With narrow but fair fairways, huge hillsides for roll-aways, to natural OB's (and rustically unnatural fence-line OB's) and several holes with multiple legit paths to the basket, this course has you thinking and sweating it out at almost every turn. If the wind is blowing at all, there is no letting up at Winter Park.)

2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities for me. I'm a Blue level player (950ish skill) who throws 300' accurately, 360' max. == A+

(This course was designed around my game and maybe even for those with even slightly less D than me…..which will be nice as I get older after manOpause. The effects of extreme elevation change from tee to basket have been ideally designed.)

3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography == A+

(Right, left, up, down, straight, flat - this course has it all. Perfect mix of wooded holes to more open holes. The narrow holes in the pines at the top of the hill are a little repetitive and one (8 I think) is bordering on luck-inducing narrow….but they are great and fun holes. Holes 11-14 (includes G, H & I) are my favorites due to the nature of the multiple routes and variation…...and their particular type of beauty.)

4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion. == A+

(The beauty of this course is absolutely stunning! What is even more amazing is that it has 5 (or more) distinct "feels" that are all absolutely stunning: Tahoe-esque trails, dense prairie grass areas, northwood pinestands (where you can peek out into cornfields - knee high by the 4th of July, baby!), Appalachian beauty, and New England-eqsue manicured grass complete with split rail snake style fencing. It is so cool how you transition from one to the next and feel like you have walked into a whole new world each time. The view of Lake Michigan and the fish hatchery ponds are a nice added bonus….too bad the pond is no longer in play! Regarding seclusion, at least 16 of the holes have you feeling nicely off in nature…..which is more than you can ask for on any 18-hole course!)

5) Bonus points for multi-throw holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them. == D

(From the Blues there is only one multi-throw hole….at least I consider it a multi-throw hole as I have neither the arm nor the guts to cut across the OB area to get within gimme up-n-down range.)
Other Thoughts: Special note: Winter Park has poked some holes in my rating scale…..but, it has also set the standard by which all other courses will be rated. With the bonus point for #5, it got me to a perfect score of 100. That is not a problem in itself, but I got to perfection and there is room for improvements - the biggy being more multi-throw holes. And, those are planned and half of them are already implemented (I looked at the completed ones but did not play them or grade them). What a great problem to have - a course that blew up my rating scale! The bigger problem to me is that I do not live in Kewaunee!
-------------------------
It's all about feeding the addiction, so I ranked this course subjectively based on my own "personal addiction factor". The grades above tell how well this course will draw me back to itself again and again and again. See my profile for specifics on my rating philosophy.

I fancy myself as a connoisseur of good course design and I am a competitive Blue level (950-ish rated) with mid-level power (accurate to 300' with max D of 360'). Since I have played a decent number of courses (150+ 18-hole, 90+ 9-hole as of late 2009), my hope is that players/explorers who have similar addiction tastes will find my ratings list helpful as they choose courses to play and explore.

I fully expect others with different tastes/philosophies to disagree with me…..and that's the fun of things here.

Winter Park

1    7/2/2010   7/3/2010
Review By: rusch_bag
Pros: What a nice course. Easily up there with the best that I have played.
- It offers a great variety of shots. I threw my shortest disc off the tee and my longest and everything in between. It also makes you throw left, right,and straight in a good balance.
- It has elevation which is key in being a very good course.
- It has some water which makes a course better always
- It has wide open let it rip holes as well as fairways that are no more than 5 feet wide at times while still being fair
- There are 27 holes which is 9 better than most courses
- It is secluded so you do not have to worry about it being packed or even having to wait at all
- Even though there are several paths and getting lost could be very easy, the signs tell you exactly where to go
- The course itself is very nicely maintained and has benches at most holes and a few port o pottys out on the course too
- overall this course is just super fun
Cons: - the teepads are gravel which is kind of a bummer, but in all reality i had no problems with them at all. I normally slip a lot and did not have any problems at all
- the bugs were bad especially on the loops for the extra 9
Other Thoughts: This course is an absolute must play. It is kind of out in the middle of no where, but it is worth the trip. I cannot wait to get out there and play it again. Just make sure you bring some bug spray and every disc in your bag cause you will need it.

Two Scoops of Awesome!!!

1    11/13/2009   11/20/2009
Review By: Philzcrazy
Pros: Pro - Trees... they saved me a couple of times.

Winter Park is a challenging course to say the least and this course has everything you can think of. Hills, wooded holes, long drives, steep drop offs around some of the baskets, water hazards, and in some of the areas the wind currents can be very tricky as you transition from wooded areas, to open areas, then back to wooded areas. Plus, to top it all off... it's 27 holes!!! How many other courses can say that? A good drive can save you on some of the holes if you're not a good putter like me, but you have to be careful as some of the holes are deceivingly shorter than you think.
Cons: Con - Trees... they screwed me a couple of times.

Concrete tees would be a good addition.
Other Thoughts: Because of the variety of challenges, if you're looking to take your game to the next level... Winter Park is the place to go to as their pro tees will have you using every throw and disc that you have. However, if you're looking for a little bit more of a laid back round, the short tees ensure that you have a fun round instead of a frustrating one.

strumsulasent

5+    10/12/2009   11/3/2009
Review By: tomdizzlefizzle
This review was updated on 10/20/2011
Pros: Every finesse throw you have, you will need here. Elevation, tightly wooded, all you need in a challenging course. What looks like a great drive can easily turn into a triple bogie. tough pin placements make for challenging putts.
Cons: Gravel tee pads could be better in some areas. Fairways in the woods could use some grooming. Could be a few longer holes. Tim kopacs is tiny! Mainly the course is just missing length. The gold tees just make you want to throw up in your mouth for they just make you need to be lucky or throw 900 feet. Not fun at all. Did i mention how tiny tim is! dont get me wrong though Winter is amazing!!
Other Thoughts: If you live in Wisconsin or even anywhere and love to disc, Winter is a must. The creator/designer/caretaker Tim is a disc golf fanatic who keeps adding new things every year. Get to winter and bang hot young woman

2-4    10/3/2009   10/5/2009
Review By: Tao-te-CHING
Pros: One of the best courses I have played! Where do I begin? Plenty of skill shots and a nice variety of distance shots as well. The addition of the 9 letter holes makes an already challenging course that much harder. The yellow rims on the Innova baskets makes it very easy to see where your shooting. Also hole seventeen is one of the most unique shots I have seen..... a long mandatory dog leg around an old log cabin. A beautiful hole that challenges your distance hyzer shot.
Cons: I don't have many cons to this course other than the obvious. Its well known that Winter Park is a ski hill in the winter so it lacks concrete tees. That isnt a problem for me except for hole 15. The tee gives you no chance to have proper footing for a good power drive, although I will say that is has improved since I played it last in the spring.
Other Thoughts: The reason I started playing disc golf is because I love hiking. Winter park offers you a good work out on rough terain along with beautiful scenary. If your out of shape and don't like the rugged forest courses this course is not for you. If you like a course that captures the true essence of disc golf in all of its natural glory..... GO OUT AND PLAY IT TOMORROW

Just one step above Silver Creek

1    9/13/2009   10/2/2009
This review was updated on 7/15/2011
Pros: 1) Incredible property with even more room for expansion I am sure. There are another 9 holes out there somwehere for sure. Lots of wooded areas have been untapped and maybe a couple more launches down the skihill would be allright!

2) Very well maintained . . . very clean and most branches seem to always be cleaned up. This is of course due in part to the incredible volunteers who work up there and the money that is contributed through the donation box. I gave more than they requested of $3 because I felt it was worth it and I only had $4 in my wallet so what was I going to do with the extra $1 anyways.

3) Incredible elevation changes. You start off at the bottom of the hill working laterally, then you gently climb the "bunny slope" over the next 3-4 holes . . . including one hole set down into the wooded area to the side of the bunny hill. The 4th hole is a tough uphiller because you have to throw first around a bend and timing the cut on the disc might be tough . . . but fortunately the fairways are fairly forgiving when they are using ski runs as fairways. It would be tough to miss this so badly you get punished by the woods. The 5th hole reaches the top of the bunny hill and #6 goes up and over a little crest to where the chairlift ends. Then you go off for some galavanting in the woods for a bunch of holes (if you play the extra lettered holes). There are some tough slopes on these tightly wooded holes too, that could easily give you a rollaway or a shot off a tree could put you in some precarious positions having to deal with more trees and more slopes. One massive ravine that is only a few feet from the basket on hole #8D. #10 is across the top of the hill with the basket set just inside of a wooded gap. Walk down the hill a ways to the 11th hole that brings you down a little shoot down a hill to the base of the hill again. Some more wooded holes #13 is a big downhiller with a massive left to right swing. Looks like an almost impossible gap to hit despite it being pretty wide. It will test your shot making for sure. #13, 14 and G, H, and I are all pretty tough demanding holes with tight woods and big swings in elevation. Great section of the course in my opinion. #15 is the top of the mountain throw down the hill fairly close to the chairlift. It's a cool 715' down the hill to the basket with a 500' throw reaching the botom of the hill and allowing you a chance to throw your approach under the basket. It is a tough 3 unless you get the flight correct and can carry out into the flats towards the basket. That is about the recap of most of the incredible elevation on this course. Simply put it isn't just wasteful elevation change it all has some challeneg besides just being up or down or sidehill. There are other factors that need to be considered.

4) Variety is the spice of life. This course has the elevation changes, tight wooded technical holes, left to right holes, right to left holes, water, OB, a couple big ripper holes. It has pretty much everything you can ask for in the design of a course.

5) Nice baskets and very nice tee signs. They really help you understand how to execute the shots.

6) Nice benches at most every tee and garbage pails help to keep this course pretty clean.

7) 10' gap down a treelined fairway of spruce or pines . . . I don;t remember . . . on Hole #8. Shoot it hard and fast and keep it straight for a chance at 2 but hit a tree and shoot off to the side maybe has a 4 written all over it. Good challenging hole!

8) Love the risk.reward of a lot of the holes around the baskets. If you are accurate and can gun all the gaps you will do well and if you can make 30-40' putts with no problem on varied terrain you will have no problem, but on occassion the less caliber player will need to simply lay up and take a tap in bogey to not risk 2-3 rollaways!

Cons: 1) Biggest issue and only major con I can see is the lack of concrete tees. I understand why they don't think they can use them, but it is the only thing keeping me from giving this course a 5 rating. It is by far the best designed and best property I have played on and like I said below I have played some pretty great courses (some of which were at one point ranked in the top 10 and all have received 5 rankings from some users. I don't know what it will take to get my first 5 rating but this course is the closest I have come so far. It is my favorite course and it certainly is an awesome property and the designers and builders did a great job in using all of the awesome features of this course without any waste. Now lets see if we can get you guys some concrete pads!

2) There are a few slick and dangerous spots on this course that may or may not improve over time. Some of the severe slopes are just slick clay and I doubt mulch will even stay there in a rainstorm, unless the trees do enough to slow down the rain from moving across the soil. This makes it tough to get good footing on many shots, but I have seen worse on skihills before. Just get used to it.

3) Uphill gravel tee on #6 is the worst on the course. I have already mentioned the importance of good footing on tees but this i sby far the worst one.

4) Barbed wire is visible in some spots on this course. It got me when I slipped on the slick clay in one spot and nearly ripped off half my shorts as I tried to battle the slick slope. I will wear these shorts only for disc golf now, but be careful to watch for barbed wire!

5) Not beginner friendly, but I cant fault the course because it would be tough to make this course beginner friendly. It was intended to be a blue player or higher and I am not quite there but I still enjoyed it. I will not factor this into my overall rating but I still wanted to mention it!
Other Thoughts: I played this course in the rain after already playing Silver Creek, Indian Creek and Picnic Hill. My favorite course to date would have been Silver Creek but Winter park surpasses it because of its more dramatic elevation. They both have great balance and they both have an outstanding variety in shot types, foliage density, elevation changes, water etc. The only thing keeping Winter Park from the 5 rating is probably their teepads. It has been said so far that the teepads will probably never become concrete but it is the only thing keeping this course from being my only 5 rated course to date. And I have played some great courses who have received 5 disc rating before like Freeman Lake, Bryant Lake Park, Charlie Vettiner, Justin Trails Classic, Vallarta Ast, Dretzka, The Sinks. My point in sayng this is that this course has EVERYTHING except good footing on the teepads which is a huge impact on the game and the fun you have. If you are slipping all over the place are you really gonna throw as accurate as you nromally do??? No way. You are gonna hit more trees, be more errant an dhave less of a good time . . . because you know you can execute the shots but the footing is keeping you from being able to do so.

5+    5/17/2009   9/10/2009
Review By: floyd
Pros: This is one of the most well balanced courses I have ever played. It has good elevation, tight woods, a pond shot, some awesome bomber holes, and risky greens. This course will challange your game.
Cons: To me I really don't have any cons. Bugs can be bad anywhere you play. T he tall grass only forces you to be more accurate with your throws.
Other Thoughts: This course is a must for anyone who loves to play the game. If you haven't made it here to play yet, do yourself a favor and plan a trip to play it. Its only 2hrs from milwaukee and well worth the trip.