Kewaunee, WI
Winter Park Share
Uploaded By: superberry Hole #15 (Taken 5/2009)
4 / 520ft.   3 / 710ft.   3 / -- Par / Distance:

Two Scoops of Awesome!!!

1    11/13/2009   11/20/2009
Review By: Philzcrazy
Pros: Pro - Trees... they saved me a couple of times.

Winter Park is a challenging course to say the least and this course has everything you can think of. Hills, wooded holes, long drives, steep drop offs around some of the baskets, water hazards, and in some of the areas the wind currents can be very tricky as you transition from wooded areas, to open areas, then back to wooded areas. Plus, to top it all off... it's 27 holes!!! How many other courses can say that? A good drive can save you on some of the holes if you're not a good putter like me, but you have to be careful as some of the holes are deceivingly shorter than you think.
Cons: Con - Trees... they screwed me a couple of times.

Concrete tees would be a good addition.
Other Thoughts: Because of the variety of challenges, if you're looking to take your game to the next level... Winter Park is the place to go to as their pro tees will have you using every throw and disc that you have. However, if you're looking for a little bit more of a laid back round, the short tees ensure that you have a fun round instead of a frustrating one.

strumsulasent

5+    10/12/2009   11/3/2009
Review By: tomdizzlefizzle
This review was updated on 10/20/2011
Pros: Every finesse throw you have, you will need here. Elevation, tightly wooded, all you need in a challenging course. What looks like a great drive can easily turn into a triple bogie. tough pin placements make for challenging putts.
Cons: Gravel tee pads could be better in some areas. Fairways in the woods could use some grooming. Could be a few longer holes. Tim kopacs is tiny! Mainly the course is just missing length. The gold tees just make you want to throw up in your mouth for they just make you need to be lucky or throw 900 feet. Not fun at all. Did i mention how tiny tim is! dont get me wrong though Winter is amazing!!
Other Thoughts: If you live in Wisconsin or even anywhere and love to disc, Winter is a must. The creator/designer/caretaker Tim is a disc golf fanatic who keeps adding new things every year. Get to winter and bang hot young woman

2-4    10/3/2009   10/5/2009
Review By: Tao-te-CHING
Pros: One of the best courses I have played! Where do I begin? Plenty of skill shots and a nice variety of distance shots as well. The addition of the 9 letter holes makes an already challenging course that much harder. The yellow rims on the Innova baskets makes it very easy to see where your shooting. Also hole seventeen is one of the most unique shots I have seen..... a long mandatory dog leg around an old log cabin. A beautiful hole that challenges your distance hyzer shot.
Cons: I don't have many cons to this course other than the obvious. Its well known that Winter Park is a ski hill in the winter so it lacks concrete tees. That isnt a problem for me except for hole 15. The tee gives you no chance to have proper footing for a good power drive, although I will say that is has improved since I played it last in the spring.
Other Thoughts: The reason I started playing disc golf is because I love hiking. Winter park offers you a good work out on rough terain along with beautiful scenary. If your out of shape and don't like the rugged forest courses this course is not for you. If you like a course that captures the true essence of disc golf in all of its natural glory..... GO OUT AND PLAY IT TOMORROW

Roughing it in the Rough

1    10/3/2009   10/5/2009
Review By: WindyCityROCer
This review was updated on 10/23/2009
Pros: Simply amazing course.... the views, elevation change and sheer number of shots is astounding...
Excellent example of risk vs. reward design...
(When applicable) the course is in excellent shape, fairways mowed, rough trimmed.... but then there's the woods...
The woods... it's just well, EVIL... in a great way... I have never enjoyed having a course kick my a**, stomp me while I'm down, and then kick me more.... I can see TOP PROS enjoying a round on this course...
I should add that benches have been added on about 9 holes... according to my buddies, these were put in over the summer..
Cons: We played the course after a few days of rain...

First off, the terrain in general is NOT for casual players, especially the "new" 9 (ie letter holes).... this is one of the roughest hikes I've ever done, even worse than the Rocky Mountains...
The tees are HORRIBLE, bad lie at best, slip and fall down a ravine at worst, I have NEVER seen a course with such potential for self injury as here...
Most tees, your group (I played with a threesome) can't fit near the tee...
The terrain (that makes this course so great) can be downright deadly!!... a few walks in particular stick out... hole B to C... really, I have to climb that!!!... Pay attention to where you walk!
Other Thoughts: I played this course under less than optimal circumstances (severely injured lower back 3 days prior to playing, played with a back brace on, day after fresh rain....)
The course is an ABSOLUTE MUST PLAY!!!!!!!
The terrain is INTENSE, the shots/course is AMAZING!!!!!
The course NEEDS HELP! I understand concrete pads are out of the question, but the tees could at least attempt to be level.... there NEEDS to be some handrails/stairs on the course...
now I'm a stickler for amenities.... (tee pads, benches, bathrooms) and despite the shortcomings (Pads, safety) this course is STUNNING!!!!
I'm rating it a 4.5 because the course/land is so good! It gets -1.5 for tees/safety, and still comes out to the best course I've played (well, this or Valpo as of 10/09).

I'm going to paraphrase a line I see used w/Nockamixion alot... Everything that makes this course so good, also makes it evil.

I'll add more later, (we rushed through the course to beat the dark, and I didn't have time to take in all the details) bottom line, PLAY IT!!!!

* edit 10/23/09
In retrospect, my cons may seem harsh, very harsh... I know the locals are working their butts of on improving this course. I am eagerly awaiting playing it again next summer... the pros FAR out weigh the cons...

Just one step above Silver Creek

1    9/13/2009   10/2/2009
This review was updated on 7/15/2011
Pros: 1) Incredible property with even more room for expansion I am sure. There are another 9 holes out there somwehere for sure. Lots of wooded areas have been untapped and maybe a couple more launches down the skihill would be allright!

2) Very well maintained . . . very clean and most branches seem to always be cleaned up. This is of course due in part to the incredible volunteers who work up there and the money that is contributed through the donation box. I gave more than they requested of $3 because I felt it was worth it and I only had $4 in my wallet so what was I going to do with the extra $1 anyways.

3) Incredible elevation changes. You start off at the bottom of the hill working laterally, then you gently climb the "bunny slope" over the next 3-4 holes . . . including one hole set down into the wooded area to the side of the bunny hill. The 4th hole is a tough uphiller because you have to throw first around a bend and timing the cut on the disc might be tough . . . but fortunately the fairways are fairly forgiving when they are using ski runs as fairways. It would be tough to miss this so badly you get punished by the woods. The 5th hole reaches the top of the bunny hill and #6 goes up and over a little crest to where the chairlift ends. Then you go off for some galavanting in the woods for a bunch of holes (if you play the extra lettered holes). There are some tough slopes on these tightly wooded holes too, that could easily give you a rollaway or a shot off a tree could put you in some precarious positions having to deal with more trees and more slopes. One massive ravine that is only a few feet from the basket on hole #8D. #10 is across the top of the hill with the basket set just inside of a wooded gap. Walk down the hill a ways to the 11th hole that brings you down a little shoot down a hill to the base of the hill again. Some more wooded holes #13 is a big downhiller with a massive left to right swing. Looks like an almost impossible gap to hit despite it being pretty wide. It will test your shot making for sure. #13, 14 and G, H, and I are all pretty tough demanding holes with tight woods and big swings in elevation. Great section of the course in my opinion. #15 is the top of the mountain throw down the hill fairly close to the chairlift. It's a cool 715' down the hill to the basket with a 500' throw reaching the botom of the hill and allowing you a chance to throw your approach under the basket. It is a tough 3 unless you get the flight correct and can carry out into the flats towards the basket. That is about the recap of most of the incredible elevation on this course. Simply put it isn't just wasteful elevation change it all has some challeneg besides just being up or down or sidehill. There are other factors that need to be considered.

4) Variety is the spice of life. This course has the elevation changes, tight wooded technical holes, left to right holes, right to left holes, water, OB, a couple big ripper holes. It has pretty much everything you can ask for in the design of a course.

5) Nice baskets and very nice tee signs. They really help you understand how to execute the shots.

6) Nice benches at most every tee and garbage pails help to keep this course pretty clean.

7) 10' gap down a treelined fairway of spruce or pines . . . I don;t remember . . . on Hole #8. Shoot it hard and fast and keep it straight for a chance at 2 but hit a tree and shoot off to the side maybe has a 4 written all over it. Good challenging hole!

8) Love the risk.reward of a lot of the holes around the baskets. If you are accurate and can gun all the gaps you will do well and if you can make 30-40' putts with no problem on varied terrain you will have no problem, but on occassion the less caliber player will need to simply lay up and take a tap in bogey to not risk 2-3 rollaways!

Cons: 1) Biggest issue and only major con I can see is the lack of concrete tees. I understand why they don't think they can use them, but it is the only thing keeping me from giving this course a 5 rating. It is by far the best designed and best property I have played on and like I said below I have played some pretty great courses (some of which were at one point ranked in the top 10 and all have received 5 rankings from some users. I don't know what it will take to get my first 5 rating but this course is the closest I have come so far. It is my favorite course and it certainly is an awesome property and the designers and builders did a great job in using all of the awesome features of this course without any waste. Now lets see if we can get you guys some concrete pads!

2) There are a few slick and dangerous spots on this course that may or may not improve over time. Some of the severe slopes are just slick clay and I doubt mulch will even stay there in a rainstorm, unless the trees do enough to slow down the rain from moving across the soil. This makes it tough to get good footing on many shots, but I have seen worse on skihills before. Just get used to it.

3) Uphill gravel tee on #6 is the worst on the course. I have already mentioned the importance of good footing on tees but this i sby far the worst one.

4) Barbed wire is visible in some spots on this course. It got me when I slipped on the slick clay in one spot and nearly ripped off half my shorts as I tried to battle the slick slope. I will wear these shorts only for disc golf now, but be careful to watch for barbed wire!

5) Not beginner friendly, but I cant fault the course because it would be tough to make this course beginner friendly. It was intended to be a blue player or higher and I am not quite there but I still enjoyed it. I will not factor this into my overall rating but I still wanted to mention it!
Other Thoughts: I played this course in the rain after already playing Silver Creek, Indian Creek and Picnic Hill. My favorite course to date would have been Silver Creek but Winter park surpasses it because of its more dramatic elevation. They both have great balance and they both have an outstanding variety in shot types, foliage density, elevation changes, water etc. The only thing keeping Winter Park from the 5 rating is probably their teepads. It has been said so far that the teepads will probably never become concrete but it is the only thing keeping this course from being my only 5 rated course to date. And I have played some great courses who have received 5 disc rating before like Freeman Lake, Bryant Lake Park, Charlie Vettiner, Justin Trails Classic, Vallarta Ast, Dretzka, The Sinks. My point in sayng this is that this course has EVERYTHING except good footing on the teepads which is a huge impact on the game and the fun you have. If you are slipping all over the place are you really gonna throw as accurate as you nromally do??? No way. You are gonna hit more trees, be more errant an dhave less of a good time . . . because you know you can execute the shots but the footing is keeping you from being able to do so.

Amazing course...but

1    9/29/2009   10/1/2009
Review By: kmrynders
Pros: There is huge assortment of different holes requiring different shots and will really test ALL aspects of your game.

Great signage on each hole, and between holes telling you where to go if you are playing all 27 or just the 18 (or I suppose you could do only the 'extra' loops that you see fit) These 'intersections' are clearly marked throughout the course.

Great Innova Discatcher Baskets

Elevation changes are incredible. From a huge down hill 700ft ripper hole (15) to rolling hills in the WOODS I've never seen a Wisconsin course with so much elevation diversity.

I've never seen a Wisconsin course with such a monumental mix of varying holes. Tree holes, open holes, elevation holes...and mixing all of those three categories.
Cons: gravel tee pads - can't be helped the city says no, but still it gets a bit dangerous when you're teeing off on a hill and the tee ins't really level.

The great elevation changes do have their drawbacks though. A few holes in the woods are down right dangerous if there was a rain recently. These fun holes turn bad when you are grabbing trees to not fall over.
Other Thoughts: Let me start by saying that if you make the trek, which you should, play the entire 27, and play from the long tees. SO MUCH FUN

There is not a single hole that takes away from the course. If I ran the course I wouldn't change one hole. The flow is great and always keeps you guess what is coming next - in a good way.

The course itself is off the beaten path, I think that fact both helps and hurts this course. You won't find many jerk teen amateurs on this course because it is so secluded. It hurts because with more people around to play it I think that the city may drop the lack luster ski hill for a nice pay to play course focused only on DG.

Bring shoes with traction. Hiking boots maybe. Not flip flops. A bag with quad straps is recommended because of the steep hills and slippery ground, you won't want to be worried about your bag when you are concentrating on keeping your balance.

For all of you guys with the carts on wheels - leave them at home- some of the trials between holes get steep and confined in a hurry.

I applaud the people who do all the work on this course - it has potential to be a 4.5 rated course, but the city needs to release their grasp on a failing ski hill and embrace the DG.

One of Wisconsins best

1    9/29/2009   9/29/2009
Review By: tomjulio
Pros: -Oh man, the VARIETY
-incredible signage with lines, length, and special next hole location signs
-elevation...UP down UP down
-27 unique holes!
-not ONE throw away hole
-new Discatcher baskets on many holes
-almost every type of shot used
-incredible risk/reward placements for baskets
Cons: -gravel/earth tee pads
-paths to many holes were mud/clay and super slippery. almost dangerous
-many holes could use some cleaning up of twigs and branches
-some tee pads were worn heavily from rain and usage
Other Thoughts: WOW. The fun factor at Winter Park is through the roof. I don't know how many times we walked up to a tee and were like "really?wow.". Whether it be for the elevation change, the super tight tree lined shot, the super risky basket placement, or in the end a complete over water shot. Fun fun fun.

The course is on the outskirts of a super small quaint town in eastern Wisconsin, right off of Lake Michigan. It uses a ski resort and much of the hills surrounding terrain FULLY for an amazing amount of variety. One of the best I have seen. It plays almost as three separate styled courses. One in the tight trees, one through green ski hill elevation, and another in the muddy ravines.

Holes are lengthy and technical from the pro tees and shot selection comes into play very often. Many holes stand out as sig holes and that's a great sign of a course. The downhill 700' bomb, the 200' super tight tree tunnel shot with the basket behind a tree even if you make it, the extra g/h/i holes in the ravine. wow.

This course does have some cons which keep it from receiving a higher rating though. The gravel tees are just ok, and some are just plain bad. Don't know if it would be even possible to do cement seeing how it is on a ski hill. Many paths are mud and slippery on pretty steep hills. A shoe with incredible traction is a must, and the course is definitely not for those weak at heart in the exercise department. I can't imagine this course would be much fun in the spring when everything is probably mud. One hole, H I believe, I actually had to grab the basket on a muddy slope as I started to slip back down.

Much of the course needs some nature cleanup. branches, twigs, raking of the fairways. This could help make it look more presentable.

We talked about ratings on the way back from this great course and we all pretty much agreed a solid 4 is where Winter Park stands. It personally reminded me of a tighter less manicured Hickory Hills in Traverse City,Mi...which I also gave a solid 4.

To the people who work on this course, great job in design, keep it up. It is truly a nice little gem in the Wisconsin disc golf scene.

5+    5/17/2009   9/10/2009
Review By: floyd
Pros: This is one of the most well balanced courses I have ever played. It has good elevation, tight woods, a pond shot, some awesome bomber holes, and risky greens. This course will challange your game.
Cons: To me I really don't have any cons. Bugs can be bad anywhere you play. T he tall grass only forces you to be more accurate with your throws.
Other Thoughts: This course is a must for anyone who loves to play the game. If you haven't made it here to play yet, do yourself a favor and plan a trip to play it. Its only 2hrs from milwaukee and well worth the trip.

My favorite course

2-4    8/8/2009   9/10/2009
Review By: iloqutiss1
Pros: *Excellent use of terrain and elevation changes.
*Great balance of necessary shots to succeed.
*Short tees are great for beginners with plenty of challenge still presented by terrain.
*Long tees add good distance and more challenge as well as changing the feel of the course adding variety.
*Many unique holes.
*Beautiful scenery.
*Not busy at all.
*Quite a workout.
Cons: *No option to play 9 for a quick round.
*Quite a workout.
*Could be bears about (lions and tigers too?).
*No free beer.
*Where's the free beer?
*Look I really am trying to come up with some cons here, gimme a break.
*I want free beer darnit!
Other Thoughts: This course is absolutely amazing! It's worth the drive but make sure you bring your own beer because for some reason they just don't supply it at the course. Make sure you start early and bring plenty of water(or beer) and bug spray. Wear good hiking shoes and be prepared for a long, fun round.

This course needs the county or town to BUY IT!

1    9/1/2009   9/2/2009
Review By: bkukich2k2
Pros: LONG course that challenges pretty much every aspect of your game. I like to tease my beginner friends and say that this is more course than you can handle. My friend and I played the 27 hole version and like everyone says MAKE TIME for it. I was suprised at how long it took and what a workout it is. This is by far my favorite course in Wisconsin.
Cons: The only con I noticed was the tee boxes. I dont mind the crushed gravel for traction, but on some holes the front launch area is worn down and I had to drive from behind the pad so I didnt fall face first down the hill. A few signs to the next hole were broken off, so maybe some better and brighter signage. Aside from that this course is great.
Other Thoughts: Will be back for more time and time again. I plan on making this a weekly course for the workout. The bar across the street from the highway department is not open on Tuesdays so you have to drive to downtown Kewaunee for a pregamer....