Winter Park, CO
Winter Park Resort Share
Uploaded By: orion487 Hole #11 (Taken 8/2011)

Fun course (if you're not too picky)/Disorganized Staff

1    7/16/2009   6/21/2010
Review By: jsaturley1
Pros: - Fun, challenging course with gorgeous views.
- Only course I've seen where you get to alpine-slide at the end of the day.
- Not many people; no waiting and no risk of getting hit by a disc.
- Changes in elevation and tricky shots through narrow groves of trees are impressive and make it a challenging experience.
- The shots you will encounter vary from long, open meadows to tight paths through the trees. You'll need a slew of different discs to succeed.
Cons: - As other reviewers have noted, the tees only consist of a couple wood blocks that have the tee number painted on them. You are not given any direction as to where the baskets are or where you should go to find the next tee. I suggest bringing a small pair of binoculars with you so you can search for the next basket. The tee pads are not level and are very short; making it a challenge to wind-up for your throw.
- The pine beetles have had their way with the forests in this area. It will be a depressing site for out-of-towners that came a long way to see lush, green forests. However, the site of beetle-kill will not be as shocking to the locals.
- This is one of the only "free" activities at the resort, therefore, staff and management don't care about it because they aren't making any money off of it....

Other Thoughts: We played this course in July 2009 and had a great time! However, I was extremely disappointed when I traveled two hours to play a round yesterday (6/20/10), only to find out that the course wasn't set-up yet. According to the Winter Park web-site, the course is open 6/12 - 9/6. Apparently, this is not accurate. I asked three different employees when the course would be set-up; none of them had an answer and I'm pretty sure that two of them didn't even know the resort had a DGC!! This only reinforces the idea that this course was an afterthought. It really is a shame because with just a little extra equipment and labor; this could be one of the best courses in CO. When I played it last year, it was a great hike around the mountain and I was more than happy to deal with lack of signage and the rugged terrain. Personally, the poor tee pads don't bother me a bit... I'm more than happy to sacrifice the level pads at the courses in the city for less people, beautiful mountain views and fun hiking terrain. If you've been spoiled by the city courses or don't enjoy a good hike, you're not gonna last long on this course. If I would've reviewed this course after playing last year, I would've given it a 3.5/5. However, after experiencing the ignorance and complete lack of compassion from WP staff yesterday, I had no choice but to drop the rating down to 2.5/5. I live next to the Beaver Ranch (Conifer) course and I admit I am spoiled by the incredible maintenance at the park, the constant improvements taking place and the perfection that is demanded from the volunteers - the Conifer course sets the bar high, and this is another reason why I couldn't justify giving this course anything more than a 2.5/5.

Not a destination course, a neglected 'extra' at a ski resort

1    8/4/2009   8/5/2009
Review By: superberry
This review was updated on 7/2/2014
Pros: Great job by any and all of the hard working volunteers who got this course (or any course for that matter) completed! The views are indeed amazing. The ride down the alpine slide afterward is pretty neat. This course has been changed from whatever it was prior to August 2009. The mountain top terrain offers a great workout and challenge, both physically and with your shot execution. My review is out of date based on current conditions and changes made.
Cons: You either have to walk up the mountain side or pay $15 to ride the lift up to the top, but employees didn't seem to know about the course when we asked around.
When I played there were no maps, no tee signs, and no defined fairways which may indicate which direction the hole may play (because they can't be expected to mow the TONS of small trees and alpine brush on the side of a mountain). Lack of tee signs and generally poor directions (or ability to see next tees or what basket to throw at) is the first con.
Next, the tees need some work like clearing and leveling. They are marked with flags and a wooden post with a number on it (no tee sign type of hole direction or distance). Plus the tee surfaces are uneven side to side, front to back, back to front, etc., and usually still full of brush and small trees growing on them.
[Looking at the hole info in 2010 now, it appears some redesign may have been done and some longer holes added].
The baskets themselves are also old and bent and in need of a little maintenance, they are the old Discatchers with just a single layer of chains.
Other Thoughts: I appreciate all the volunteer effort everyone everywhere does! Don't misinterpret my review and make claim that I don't just because my experience wasn't up to par.
Simply put, I didn't like the course (for MANY sound reasons which may have been changed by now)
If you put a ton of volunteer work into it, I still commend you!
My review is based on 2009, check above.