Appling, GA
IDGC - WR Jackson Memorial DGC Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #1 (Taken 10/2011)

Enter the Beast

2-4    6/26/2013   10/19/2013
Review By: Connor Jones
Pros: Huge teepads that are all equal and wonderful. Something that you'll find on each course out here.

DiscCatchers are on this course and they are all in excellent shape, it only seems fitting that the toughest of the three courses also provides you with a ringing sound of failure if you're a bit high on your putts.

An amazing amount of shot variety, close to what I would consider a perfect balance of up, down, left and right.

It's beautiful. Although I'd say Steady is the prettiest due to the water, all three of these are really lovely. Some of that Appalachian Beauty a la Dave242.

After you wrap up 9, you're right back at the clubhouse for a possible break,snack,drink, what have you, and you may want it if you're playing all three in one day.

Due to the length of this course it is extremely nice and appreciated to have excellent signage to help with your shot selection and also benches on every hole, huge plus.
Cons: To me, it's just not the most fun I've had on a course, it's probably not even in the top half in that regard. I'm a blue level player and this is a gold level course. I could still shoot even or maybe one or two better on a really, really good day but it won't ever be easy, which is where the "Other Thoughts" come into play.

Other Thoughts: This is an extremely rewarding course. If you're playing well you will probably be smiling a lot and having a great time. It is also very tough, but extremely fair.

Playing Steady Ed from the longs is more fitting for my skill level, which is probably why I enjoyed that course so much more. I'm an intermediate to advanced type player and Jackson is a beast. You will need to have distance, you will need to be accurate, but it is completely do-able to score well here.

Regardless of this course being challenging, it is still excellent. The layout is damn near perfect and you can't ask for much more in that sense, especially with two other great courses on the property.

A sweet piece of the pie

1    9/12/2013   9/15/2013
Review By: sloppydisc
Pros: A finely maintained 18 hole championship caliber course at the IDGC complex in Appling, GA. One of 3 courses on the property along with a great pro shop, practice baskets, picnic tables and gazebo. Everything you need for a phenomenal disc golf destination. Maps and scorecards are available in the pro shop and a large map is by the 1st tee.

Large concrete tee pads and well done signs at each tee pad. This course is fairly open and grassy in spots, and everything was trimmed and cut nicely. Undergrowth isn't bad and there really isn't a huge risk of losing discs until you reach the holes along the creek.

Great hole length variety. There is a 916' beast as well as a few holes under 300'. There is also a great mix of shapes and turns to the fairways. As far as FH, BH or even OH shots I never felt there was anything repetitive. I needed ever shot I had and then some just to hold my own.

If you like fair, technical golf this is the course for you. Many of the holes present you with a tee shot that offers up a landing zone to set up a second shot, and multiple fairways to the basket. Fairways are ample, but when you are throwing on holes from 600-900' there are many chances for errors. I also noticed that even if you hit some landing zones you soon realize you would have been better off on the other side of the fairway for the next shot. Or possibly even a little shorter to change an angle. There are some subtleties to this course that probably take a few rounds to understand. That makes it a lot of fun IMO.

While most of the course is long and somewhat open, or partially wooded, the back 9 does offer some nice, technical holes along the creek bed. This is also the area where elevation most comes into play.

Cons: Basket 13 is visible from 11's tee pad. Somewhat confusing as you step up to the tee pad. I had to walk down the fairway a bit to spot 11 and make sure I knew where I was throwing.

I wouldn't say there is an awe inspiring hole at this course. I couldn't easily choose what the 'signature' hole would be.

Navigation is somewhat long and wandering in spots. Be sure to bring the map.
Other Thoughts: While I didn't feel there was a truly great hole at this course, I also didn't notice any bad holes. The long partially wooded holes with multiple routes and landing zones are fun and offer players several ways to tackle a hole. It also makes the course more fun to play multiple times as there are different shots and tactics that could be used to improve your score.

The creek along the back 9 was very low when I played so I only had to fish my disc out of a few inches of water when I shanked a drive. But at certain times of the year the creek could be a real hazard. On holes 11-13 and 15 the baskets are also positioned on slopes to make the risk even higher. Fun holes to play, with tight lines and risky greens, but be prepared for some ricochets, rolls and wet discs.

This is definitely a great course, and offers something for every player. Open bombs, tight woods and even a little elevation to mix things up. I highly recommend a trip to IDGC, and a round at WR Jackson.

Kicked my butt

1    11/30/2012   12/30/2012
Review By: lukejones
Pros: Probably the hardest course my wife and I played on our recent trip to the southeast from Indiana. Also, it was probably the first course I've played which you could really tell was purpose built to challenge a professional level player of which I am certainly not.....(yet!). Though challenging, it's still fair. I literally used my whole bag and just about every type of throw throughout the round. I only wish we had time to play the other courses in the park.

-Concrete tees in excellent shape
-Professional signage throughout making navigating the course easy
-Excellent facilities. The practice facility was quite cool and had what looked to be every type of basket out there. (the indoor facility was closed when we visited the week of Thanksgiving so I can't comment on those)
-Pro-caliber layout
Cons: There were only 1 tee pad on each hole, though my wife and I saw evidence of flags marking what we presume to be a 2nd set of tees to be added later for ams and ladies.

Other Thoughts: We'll definitely be back someday.

It was $5/person, but well worth the money.

Awesome Challenge

1    7/9/2012   7/16/2012
Review By: cox3
Pros: Distance, accuracy, and versatility were all very much required, yet virtually the entire course was completely fair.

Signage was great.
Cons: The only thing keeping me from giving the course a perfect rating was the lack of wowing features aesthetically.
Other Thoughts: Tee pads were okay.

The course was am extreme yet fair challenge and a pleasure to play.

The entire IDGC experience is first class.

Action Jackson

1    2/13/2012   2/29/2012
Pros: 1) Incredible practice area with all of the types of baskets represented as well as plenty of angles and approaches to be thrown. I didn't warm up (because I already played Lake Olmstead and had to make sure I was able to finish all 3 courses) but if I was playing a tourney this would be greatly appreciated.

2) Designed by one of the premier designers in the game John Houck. I played a lot of his courses last year when I was in Texas and thoroughly enjoyed all of them. He has a knack for challenging you with all your shots.

3) Pavillion and picnic tables are available along with a soda machine outside. There are restrooms inside the IDGC and a couch to sit down on too. Check out the pro-shop while you are there and help support the PDGA through other ways than just your annual dues. Check out the history of the sport and our founder Steady Ed Headrick in the Disc Golf Hall of Fame

4) Scorecards and maps available in the pro shop . . .always a bonus on a world class course that you have not played before. There also is a small mailbox on the course map at the entrance to the course) that usually would have maps and scorecards in there too in case the pro shop isn't open.

5) Nice big sign and map along with sponsors and contributors to the course listed on another sign. I love the entrance gate that you walk through to get to the course.

6) Excellent use of distance variation as a design element. There are all sorts of different distances with multiple holes over 700, 800, and even 900' out here so you need all your discs in your bag. You will also never have the same shot twice which is awesome. SO many courses get stuck on the 275-300' shots where you can only have so many hyzer shots before the holes become repetitive. Here the distances vary so much you never have the same shot on two holes.

7) Very clean woods . . . meaning Jason works very hard to keep the peripheral areas free of fallen limbs and debris. It is pretty rare that you see something that is in play off the fairway and that is greatly appreciated and it helps make the course look just that much better.

8) They did an excellent job keeping the trees that frame fairways and cleaning out the ones that do not need to be there. The fairways are very fair but they do still make you make the shot.

9) Excellent variety in shot shaping on this course. There were a lot of different shots off the tee but your recovery shots bring even more shots into play . . . I love throwing different shots all day . . . it keeps things from feeling boring.

10) .Very nice grippy trapezoidal concrete just like on Steady Ed.

11) Excellent place for the Yellow banded Discatchers. Just like the Steady Ed course they have the thee flags on top of the Discatchers too. They are much easier to spot in the dense woods than any other basket.

12) There is a ravine that is roped off as OB on multiple holes on this course. This is a feature that you rarely see because no one wants to spend the time roping off an area that constantly needs tweaking .. . but they do here at the IDGC. This way there is no question whether you are OB or not and this is one rule that can be very confusing unless you really understand the rules.

13) They have the nicest rain shelter that I have ever seen. It was big and it had seating inside. It rivaled the one at Blue Ribbon pines, but this one seemed like it was nicer and newer.

14) This course loops back at the end of 9 holes to the parking area and you might need it in summer. Fortunately for me it was a nice 55 degree day and overcast so it was no big deal, but this is certainly a positive during the Georgia summer.

15) Shot shaping here is a lot of fun because they often times give you plenty of room to work your discs. You might have to hit key spots in the fairway but you can generally work your disc either direction on at least one shot per hole. It just depends on how close to the tee the fairway bends and if you can keep the disc in the fairway initially.

16) This is the most open . . . and I use the word "open" as a relative term . . . because this is the IDGC in the Georgia woods. There are no wide open holes, but the fairways are wider and more "fair" than the other two courses. You do not have to be pinpoint on WR Jackson . . . you just need to hit the gaps and control your disc at the end of the flight to score well. With that said . . . there are still quite a few tight holes on this course . . . but the true fairway line is well defined.

17) (I apologize in advance I was watching this video today) As Timmy Gill says in Clash I (Rennaisance Gold) . . . this is the future of our sport with Par 4's and Par 5's. This is where or sport needs to go . . it needs placement shots and true risk/reward shots where if you want to throw 450' you will have to execute a much tougher shot than someone throwing a two 250' shots.
Cons: 1) The hole maps are very generic here . . .and this is super nitpicky . . .because the fairways are wide enough here on most holes that the simple "outline" of the fairway is just about good enough. There are way less trees on this course (at least in the fairway) so it isn't like on Steady Ed where there are key trees scattered all through the fairways, there are treed areas (rough) and turfed areas (fairways) and rarely do these areas intersect with each other.

2) The distance here is a little demanding for beginners. There is no way any beginner could withstand a round here and even though the course is designed with Advanced and Pros in mind I like courses to be accessible to all. They could easily put in short tees at about half the distance of the long tees so that beginners would have a chance to play and even enjoy what this type of course is like. I still had fun because I knew what I was getting into and I can execute good shots . . . it just might take me 3 or 4 or 5 to get to the basket.

3) The only thing I noticed that could really have more attention paid to it is the OB line along the ravine. While I appreciate that it is there . . . there were a few placed where some erosion may have happened and the rop is actually hanging down at the base of the ravine . . .creating confusion (not really a conflict of the rule but confusion). This is more of an issue because I come from a long history in golf course maintenance where the routine maintenance is taken to another level. If you paint a line that is the line, if there is no line the line is between the posts. And in this instance the intent is to keep the OB line above the ravine so there is no question if you are in bounds or out of bounds. But the intent is also a safety issue where you do not want someone trying to recreate a lie on the banks of a ravine (so in essence the rope should always be above the edge of the ravine, but there were a few places where I noticed the rope hanging down in the ravine making a true "drop" impossible to recreate.
Other Thoughts: I know a lot of this courses pros were basically the same as Steady Ed's review, but there were also a lot of other things I noticed too . . . so if the review sounds familiar it is because I used the same wording to accomplish the same thing for this course, but there should be plenty of other useful info from my review too.
This course is the most unique (as compared to the other two on site) course at the IDGC. It is through the woods but it is LOOOOOONG and the fairways are often time very wide. Sure you need to avoid the peripheral areas but you are more likely to really get your disc out there on this course. There are all sorts of landing areas but depending on what you choose to throw you will have to pick you landing areas. I found it hard to "layup" and chose my favorite driver on most holes . .. sometimes I was rewarded by threading the needle, but often times I was punished and had to throw out to the fairway as opposed to trying for a miraculous recovery.
I would rank this course 3rd of the three courses but only because I do not have distance as a strength in my game. I feel I am accurate but there is no way for me to take my throw to the next level and pump one out there really. I am satisfied throwing my 275' on any given throw. I just have no difference between golf distance and pure throwing distance. I know it is designed for gold level players and I am far from I so it is less enjoyable for me. I can totally see how the advanced and pro level players might enjoy this more than other courses at the IDGC.

Bring your control to go with that Big D...

1    12/25/2011   12/28/2011
Review By: BogeyNoMore
This review was updated on 3/4/2012
Pros: With over half the holes clocking in at 500' or more (and hole 2 at 499), the Jackson course is plenty long, but still manages to squeeze in some variation in hole lengths with 4 holes in the 200-300' range and 2 more between 300-400'. Strikes a good balance between being well wooded and just open enough to air it out and let fly (if only I could), but able to punish the foolhardy or errant shot for straying from the fairway. The holes on the Jackson course are quite well conceived and manage to be challenging enough for pros, yet inviting for intermediate players.

• Truly a gold level course (which kicked my red level butt) with legit par 4's & 5's. Many strategically placed bends really do emphasize placement as much as distance. Staying on the fairway alone isn't enough to score well. Unless you have both, the distance and control to put a tee shot onto the fairway beyond where it bends, you really need to hit the landing zone to set yourself up nicely for the next shot. Landing short, long, or on the wrong side of the fairway, can leave you a tough shot that could easily end up adding a stroke for that hole.
• Nicely groomed, well defined fairways typically offer at least a couple of routes, with some obvious landing spots.
• Wonderful mix of hole shapes to maintain your interest and exercise your entire shot-making portfolio.
• Mostly flat on the front 9, the terrain and stream comes into play on the back 9, especially on some of the shorter holes.
• Navigation is OK with next tee signs, great tee markers and course map to help find your way, but course layout left me wondering where the next tee was a few times. Not as foolproof as the Headrick course, but certainly not bad enough to list as a con.
• The shelter just before 8's tee is a great place to take a break from the sun or rain, and refresh and recharge before setting out again - something I'd recommend before teeing off on that 900'+ monster.
• Bright yellow Innova "chasitity belts" are easily the most visible targets out there, and make things easier for visitors (let's face it, this place is gonna get visitors).
IDGC Bonuses like:
• Great tee pads: spacious and grippy even when wet.
• Best practice putting green you'll find anywhere.
• Benches and wonderful signage at every basket.
• PDGA HoF and Pro Shop, tournament pavilion with drink machines.
• Boot cleaners located just outside the Pro Shop to brush the mud and dirt from your shoes.
• Onsite camping
Cons: Cons: As expected, things were done pretty well here, so there aren't many cons to list.
• Course layout seems a bit strange, resulting in some long walks between some holes that interrupt flow of the course.
• I don't mind pay to play, but that's in addition to the park entrance fee - still worth it to play these courses.
Other Thoughts: Personally, I didn't enjoy the Jackson as much as the Headrick or Warner, there's no doubt this is an excellent course and part of a phenomenal facility. Quite frankly, it's intended to challenge those with more skill than I've got, so I can't knock it because it kicked my ass. I have to rate it based on the fact that it's intended to create score separation among top level players… something I would say it should excel at. A wonderful course that can stand on its own, it comes with all the plusses this location offers. Kind like what Leviathan would be if those guys had these resources.

Wide with room for Glide

1    12/20/2011   12/22/2011
Review By: KGB84
Pros: -Large Tee Pads
-Nice benches
-Great tee signs with picture & distances
-Very nice Innova baskets
-Good flow to course(#10 tee is just behing IDGC. So you have a chance to stop at your car half way through the round)
-Fairways are just that Fair, yet very challenging still.
-Next tee signs
-Elevation(Ups & Downs & in between)
-IDGC clubhouse/Pro shop on site
-Pavillion to sit under
-Drink vending machine
-Amazing warm-up area behind clubhouse
-IDGC staff is very welcoming
-DG Hall of Fame on site
-The area is completely dedicated to the courses.
Cons: -This course is a long round of golf. I was dragging towards the last few holes. Be prepared.
-Pay to play
-Raining while I was there
-Pretty out of the way to play on a regular basis.
Other Thoughts: This was my second favorite of the 3 courses located at the IDGC complex. I felt this course was a bit more forgiving on errant drives than Warner & Headrick courses. This added to the width of the majority of the fairways. Don't get me wrong this is still a very challenging course. Just feels a little less dangerous than the others.
Overall, it's another amazing course in a Disc golf only area of the park. Get down here and play on your next vacation!

Longer than long

1    5/4/2011   6/11/2011
Review By: DWill
Pros: This is the longest of the three IDGC courses, and its length is one of its greatest assets. There are several very long holes, with true par 4s and 5s to challenge you.

Each hole has an informative tee sign, nice sized concrete tee pad, and flag at top of the basket for easier viewing from a distance. Plenty of next tee signs to aid in navigation, but a course map is recommended for first timers. The fairways are well defined and give you multiple ways to reach the basket, to fit your game.

There is a good mix of elevation, and a small creek winding its way through several holes.

The course is well maintained and very clean. Nice touches, like water coolers spread through out, that add to the overall course enjoyment. There are two nine hole loops that start at the HQ building, which has a pro shop, bathrooms and snack bar. The course is part of the IDGC complex, so there are two other courses available, with plenty of parking.
Cons: Single tee and single basket course, limits it's flexibility and can be over whelming to intermediate or lower level players.

A few holes near the creek were maybe a little too close to each other, but nothing to dramatic.

Some of the hole distances on the tee signs and course map didn't match.
Other Thoughts: This is the longest course I've ever played on, and was the first of the three IDGC courses I played. I was expecting a lot from this course, since it is part of the IDGC, and it didn't disappoint.

Like the other two courses on site, it was well designed and had a professional look and feel about it. Definitely worth the beating it will give you while playing it.

Tough

1    4/21/2011   5/26/2011
Review By: mashnut
Pros: The course plays through rolling hills in a dense forest. There are enough trees and underbrush that errant shots are definitely punished, but the fairways are reasonable and offer plenty of room to hit your line. The course is long, with lots of multi-shot holes which makes it a different challenge than most other courses. I love having to throw a second drive on a hole, it makes you think a lot more about shot placement and setting up for your approach. There are some shorter holes mixed in for variety, which keeps the course from getting repetitive.

There's a great mix of hole shapes, you'll need every shot in your bag to be successful. Distance is rewarded, but not over accuracy, every hole punishes a missed line. Many holes have multiple fairways, offering very different ways to approach the hole, each with it's own risk/reward to consider. A stream comes into play on several holes, and makes a few pin placements tricky with lurking ob. There are good signs showing alternate pin placements and hole layout and distance, and the concrete pads were in great shape.
Cons: There are some long walks between holes, most were well marked but it definitely breaks up the flow. There were a couple sections of the course where multiple holes in a row were similar lengths making it feel just a little repetitive, especially the three short holes in a row in the middle of the course.
Other Thoughts: This is definitely a tough course, and will wear you out. Beginners will find it long and tough to the point of frustration, I don't know too many new players that would have much fun on this one. Experienced players will find great challenge and variety, you'll need long controlled distance on a variety of lines to score well. Combined with the other great courses and the amenities at the IDGC, this is a wonderful disc golf destination.

Favorite course at the IDGC

5+    5/3/2013   2/6/2011
Review By: filobedo
This review was updated on 5/8/2013
Pros: i wish more new courses were designed like this one but I understand the terrain and amount of acreage really makes this course spectacular in addition to the vision from the course designer. My favorite course at the IDGC with a great mix of par 3s, 4s and 5s and continues to improve. #8 can be brutal if you do not play it smart and during my visit in May 2013 a shelter has been built on #8 teepad which is a good place for a rest prior to playing this long and sometimes frustrating hole. Also #18 is a beast if you do not get off the teepad. I have watched some of the top players in the world play this hole and they appear to only try to get through the initial treeline in a safe spot to get to the turn at the top of the hill for a chance at a 4. Regardless 5 is a great score for me on this one. Course appears to be for big arms but I feel it is played better by players who understand placement shots instead of throwing 500' on every hole. #14 is my favorite hole and the transistion of short holes with birdie opportunities between #11 - #13 helps with diversity after some previous long holes.
Cons: Note really a con but after rain there are some slick spots which can appear in fairwarys due to the hills so be aware of footing. Also, it appears difficult to get a run up when you are in #18 fairway after the tee shot because the grade of the slope is severe. I am not a course designer but I image there is nothing that can be done to prevent.
Other Thoughts: This is pay to play. Nothing is more frustrating than seeing people who do not check in to play on pay to play courses so please pay the greens fee to ensure courses like this will be around in the future. Also, plan to spend a few days in the area. The campground is great and close by. Worth the daily park fee.