Appling, GA
IDGC - WR Jackson Memorial DGC Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #10 (Taken 10/2011)

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5
IDGC - WR Jackson Memorial DGC

1    11/17/2016   12/3/2016
Review By: lazrman778
Pros:
Has concrete tee pads with notches carved across

Has benches throughout the course

Has excellent tee signs (signs look better than the ones posted on this site)

Some holes have multiple lines to the basket

Has next tee signs posted throughout

More wooded than open fairways with doglegs and elevations

Challenging, long course with variety of pars (6 par 3s, 9 par 4s, 3 par 5s)

Nice scenery

Water comes into play on almost half of the holes where there's little risk in losing a disc due to the shallow creek

Has two loops of the front and back nines

Had whole course to myself on a Thursday afternoon

Has a storm shelter

Well-maintained

Has practice baskets from different manufacturers
Cons:
Long course can be demanding and intimidating to those not ready for a challenge

Aside from the course already being long, some may find the long walks between holes as a con but I feel that there's good separation between them as the layout makes most of the hilly terrain and creek

Pay to play but worth it
This is the last of the three challenging scenic courses at IDGC that I enjoyed playing. This course is the one that I will compare other courses to as I have ranked this as my first 5.0 - Best of the Best. This course is the site of the Hall of Fame Classic held here every two years. After watching the world's top pros play here, this course was a test to compare on how well I can perform when playing this gold level tournament quality course. I can say that I have more appreciation more than ever in watching them play now! It truly is challenging and will require almost every kind of shot to shoot a low score here. This course will emphasize on control and shot placement on most holes since there's only six par 3s here. The course takes advantage of its hilly terrain and creek to make a challenging layout. I haven't recall ever playing on a hole with a figure 8 pattern before I played hole #8. Playing on holes #12 and #13 were probably the most difficult par 3s that I ever played due to the tight window and the slope towards the creek. The long course and the additional walking between holes can take a toll on the body and therefore be a con for some players. The pay to play can dissuade some from playing but I have paid more to play a less enjoyable course before. $3 to enter the park and $3 for a PDGA member to play all day is a bargain! In the clubhouse, the pro shop sells discs from many manufacturers as well as issue out course maps and scorecards with the highlighted current pin positions. Along with the pro shop, there is a snack machine, breakroom, restrooms, and the Hall of Fame all inside the clubhouse operating from 9am-5pm. A soda machine is located outside the clubhouse underneath the pavilion nearby. Playing this course and one of the other two on the same day makes a nice day trip.

IDGC Presents: Action Jackson

2-4    10/5/2016   11/15/2016
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: WR Jackson Memorial is the longest of the 3 amazing courses at the IDGC, and is just another John Houck masterpiece. It may cause distress to the average disc golfer, but there are 18 great holes that have extremely challenging but not entirely impossible fairways. You will find trouble if you fail to execute sound throws consistently. While it can be frustrating, the constant pressure to make good throws is one of the aspects that makes me respect the course so much. Well worth the price of admission, $5 for all day access to the 3 wonderful courses on site.

As you would expect, all of the tees, signage, and baskets are top quality, as they are in all of the disc golf facilities here. A little bit of water will be in play here and there, as well as some moderate elevation change through very woodsy fairways. I won't give the hole by hole summary, but each stop along the way requires precise, accurate shots of all types. There are 6 par 4's in a row to lead off, and the longest hole on the course is 8, just to make sure the front 9 isn't taken lightly. Holes 11-13 give you a chance to make up some ground with 3 consecutive short par 3's. No pushovers, but a well placed putter throw can get you there. On the way out you will encounter 2 more par 4's, and the last hole is a great par 5. 18 is the kind of finishing hole that demands respect. Visible from the tee, but so far away you know you still have your work cut out for you. Even after taking several beatings here, I still enjoy this monster.
Cons: Scenic, but demanding. The new player will probably not make it through a round here without some serious struggles. It is pay to play, cheapskates beware.
Other Thoughts: I did get 2 birdies on my most recent round at Jackson. 10 and 12 gave me redemption deuces, and I missed a very makable putt on 11 for the turkey. Still wound up at +11 on the round, but enjoyed it none the less. Wish I would have visited more often when I lived in the area. Very much a destination for any disc golfer who loves to visit the very best courses. Sort of reminds me of Chester State Park in SC, but much longer, and a little more elevation change. The pro shop, and disc golf museum and wall of fame give you something interesting to look at in between rounds, and snacks and refreshments are available inside during business hours. Also there is a vending machine with water and soft drinks outside under the pavilion. A must play for any serious player who enters the vicinity.

Wow that's hard

2-4    10/13/2016   11/2/2016
Review By: Peter S
Pros: Challenging with many long S shots. Lots of elevation to bomb a sky roller, thumber or any trick shot you have. Tee signs are descriptive enough and fairways are well defined on the very long holes making long recon walks not necessary. The holes are often too long to see the basket but you get the idea where to place your first shot for success. Also the score cards given out indicate pin position so you don't have to hope there is something on the sign to indicate pin position.

I had my best round ever on my most recent trip. However, WR Jackson is just so huge, long and steep it can wear you down. The fairways on some of the long holes seem plenty wide and I had some great long throws & hit intended landing spots but by the time I would climb up the steep hills to my next shot I found myself missing putts that I should make. The courses at IDGC are just known for zapping the strength & concentration right out of you. Even the short holes 12 & 13 that traverse a large valley/gulch place the baskets on steep fast greens forcing the perfect tight shot through trees that must match the angle of the hill to stick. Manage that and you still have to find the perfect putting stance on a knife edge and stick a putt. Any roll away is falling into the O.B. creek. You better have all the putting stances in your bag. This course will run a sword through any chink in the armor of your game.

It seems like aspects of these "pros" could and should be cons for some. This is very much a Gold level course. A new player will most likely kick their bag or give up after 9 holes here. I did when I was a newer player. It is the challenge that is the attraction here. Now that my player rating is over 900 I had a much better time playing this one than in years past.

I played in early October and the course just looked lovely, a touch of fall color on the leaves, the long open fairways are just picture perfect. Some of the pins seem to frame the most picturesque portions of the hills or trees they are set by.

The course loops back to the parking lot after 9 holes for a very much needed break or to restock on water. The IDGC building has a/c, a small museum, a well stocked pro shop and clean rest rooms.
Cons: Very thick tick infested woods in some spots make trips off the fairways not fun. Thin on next tee signs in some areas.

No escalators or free porters. Seriously folks, other that getting worn out on a steep long course I cannot fault anything here. I can say some shorter tees would be nice but that would detract from the course. This is Gold level, take it or leave it.
Other Thoughts: Often reviews say you have to throw every disc or shot in your bag. I carried about 20 discs and for the first time I actually used every one. Not only that, I used every shot in my skill set.

Make sure your dog's tick meds are up to date if you bring Fido.

Rating: I rated a 5 for my first time ever! For the over 135 courses I have played this is the biggest and best course I have ever played.

$5.00 to play all day on 3 great courses is a nice bang for your buck.

LOOOOOOONNNNNNGGGGGG

1    4/26/2016   5/4/2016
Review By: Reb3times
Pros: If you're a long shot, this is your course. Many holes offer the chance at back to back long shots to have a chance at a birdie.

Good use of the rolling terrain in the area. No two shots are the same.

Concrete tee pad.
Cons: Only one tee option.

Can be a brutally long course for newer players with less skill and accuracy.
Other Thoughts: This is one to come back to time and time again to test your own skills against the course. You will need accurate long shots in order to score well here. If you go a little errant, there are plenty of trees to make you pay. The course can easily be played as 9 since the 1st and 10th tee box is next to the IDGA HQ and parking lot. Might suggest you take something to retrieve disc with because several holes have steep ditches with creeks in them that are not easily accessible, however they can easily come into play. If you don't have anything, mother nature has provided lots of dead fall in the area to use in an effort to retrieve a sunken disc. Oh, and keep a very close eye out for everyone's favorite zero legged friends.

Hard but fun! And what a bargain!

1    7/10/2013   4/20/2016
Review By: Discgolffiend
Pros: Played all three courses for $3 entrance fee. Bargain.

Some of the par 4's and 5's through the woods here are epic, every line worked out to perfection. As with all houck designs the thought that has gone into every single detail is immense. He's a master of the par 4's and 5's

Tough tough course, you've got to work so hard to stay on the fairways and hit the lines to attack for birdies, and there is no shame from coming away without any. it's a true Gold standard course. great challenge, not one to bring a first timer!

Rough is tough but fair, you should find your discs even on the worst of ricochets
Great amenities in the park and two other gold standard courses on site.
Cons: I love most of the holes - I love par 4 and 5 golf and this isn't just lengthened par 3's but well thought out landing zones and multiple routes. It's Houck at his best.

Apart from hole 3 and 12/13.

3 - It's just frustrating. I like a par 4 where a driver off the tee isn;t an option but this hole I just can't see where the separation in scoring will come from.

I tried just about everything in the bag to get a good look at an Eagle, best I had was some weird backhand roller that I don't think I could ever replicate which gave me about a 90' upshot. The worst results were bad. Very bad. The only sensible option off the tee was a standstill putter hyzer have a 150' upshot take the three. Going for a 2 was a hiiiiigh chance of 4, 5, or worse. but taking the three was ridiculously easy with just a bail out off the tee. Couldn't see the reward for trying anything more, Disappointed with this one.

Now 12/13 (I'm calling it that as they are basically the same hole). Hmmm. I carry a lot of putters, both are a lovely length for a putter on a straight shot with a soft non skippy landing possibly if I could shape it with a slight anny to match the slope of the land.

But it's a total crap shoot when you land as to what's going to happen. I threw them all, I threw them all again, most stuck for easy 2's a fewkicked and rolled OB for 4's' 5's (I assumed the creek was OB) Couldn't tell you any difference between the good or bad. One hit the pole and went OB after tottering on its end for an eternity. Too much punishment totally down to the luck of the gods.

Two holes that could be hugely improved with a levelled landing zone around the basket or a retaining wall/logs 15' to the right of the basket, outside that fine, no issues with rolling in the water. It's the pretty much perfectly placed shots where luck is key.

It's also a shame that 3 short par 3's are squeezed together in the middle of the course.

Misses a standout feature in the land - creek is nice, and use of the terrain is superb, but you don't come away with a wow experience.

Honestly and it seems petty reading it but the tees sign graphics are boring and give no idea of the drama awaiting you. Would love to see a bit more detail on them and for more measurements - how far to that gap, that split etc. I'm pretty sure some of the measurements are wildly off anyway so maybe that wouldn't be much use!

Edit* it was over 2 years ago I played this so maybe the graphics have changed reading some of the reviews below. My memory of them was yes they would tell me it was a dog leg, but that was it, no indication of the tightness of anything else? I just like lots of info on tee signs!
Other Thoughts: Reading back my cons seems to outweigh the pros. So ignore my moaning. The course is excellent, the design is nearly all as good as it can be and you'll hugely enjoy your time playing here.

Bring the big guns.

1    3/6/2016   3/6/2016
Review By: Moose33
Pros: The only word for this one is Long. It's an amazing course great teepads that are long a tapered with texture. There are only one set unlike the other courses at the IDGC.

The holes are varied with multiple lines even though most of it is very wooded.

It has more space than the other courses but less water and elevation.

Great Innova Discatcher baskets with thoughtful placement, and a couple of nerve rattling putts.

Signs were really helpful and an almost every location.
Cons: A little repetitive with all of the long punishing holes.

I saw like 4 snakes not a con per se but be careful.
Other Thoughts: Gold level pro course that you need to bring your A game to play.

Not the most fun course I've ever played but one of the best tests of skill.

Floyd Mayweather of Disc Golf Courses

1    7/24/2015   7/24/2015
Review By: prerube
Pros: This is a top notch Gold Course. There are very few courses that have this level of challenge and even less with a distance of over 9,000 feet.

Nice signage, good concrete tees, top notch baskets, signs to guide you to the next tee.

Map on Kiosk as well as paper maps and score cards available.

11 holes over 500 feet.

Lots of elevation and variety. This course will require every shot in your arsenal. Multiple lines on every hole, but you need to be able to hit one of those lines.

Facility Pros:
Air conditioned lounge where you can watch disc golf on a flat screen while you rest.
Pro shop that sells a wide variety of discs, clothes, and even saved my round by selling Advil.
Vending Machine that dispenses 38 degree drinks.
2 other courses on site
Disc Golf Museum.
Cons: Course was designed for one level of player with no options for lower levels. This is not a course you are going to bring a group of buddies to on a road trip unless your buddies are all 950 rated players.

Course started with a single concrete pad covered in sand.

The grass was getting very high on the fairway and the rough is not very forgiving.

The walk from 7 to 8 was pretty long.

Hole 11 was my only duece, and it was an accident. I was aiming at the visable 13 basket and faded too early to park hole 11.

Flow struggled a little between 9 and 10. Hole 10 is in the middle of the back yard,
Other Thoughts: This course was like sparring with Floyd Mayweather. You know you are going to get your butt kicked, but you are just glad to be in the ring enjoying the few good hits you can sneak in. Hole 8 was one of the hardest holes I played, then Hole 10 made me think maybe that was the hardest hole. 14 was crazy too and 18 finishes with a 716 foot heavily wooded uphill shot.

If the grass were mowed I might be persuaded to give this course a 4.5.

This course rivals any other courses longest layouts. Top level players will be in heaven here. Recreational players will need to bring a lap counter to keep track of their score.

Most Challenging Course at the IDGC

5+    9/21/2014   7/4/2015
Review By: Discette
Pros: I had the honor of playing this course at the Tim Selinske US Masters in 2010 and again for the United States Women's Disc Golf Championships. This is the longest and most challenging course at the IDGC.

I used bullet points for those that don't want to read the entire review.

Pros

IDGC -Worth the Trip
IDGC is a disc golf destination with three excellent disc golf courses on site. The IDGC houses the PDGA headquarters, Pro Shop and Disc Golf museum. Players can pick up custom discs and shirts in the pro shop. There is a large warm up area and putting green of the back deck of the IDGC building. Fun and amazing place to warm up before the epic rounds begin. The WR Jackson course is the longest of the three courses.

Par 69
This is a beautiful and challenging Par 69 Championship course. The best part of the design is that it requires placement shots from players off the tee and on the fairway. If you are playing more than one course at the IDGC, plan to play this course when you are fresh as it is long and requires a lot of energy.

Two Nines
I love that the front and back nine both start from next to the IDGC building. This means you can stop by your car or the Pro shop on your way from 9 to 10. Or you can start the round on Hole 10 and play the back nine first. It is great to be able to take a small break between nines.

Multiple Routes
This really is a thinking man's course. Many of the holes have divided fairways. Players can choose if they would like to traverse the hole to the left, right, or the middle. Multiple fairways adds to the challenge as the more times you play the course, the more you are tempted to try the alternate routes.

Exclusive to Disc Golf
As with all courses at the IDGC, the course is reserved just for disc golf. You never have to worry about some random jogger, dog walker or picnicker in your fairway. If you see anyone but a disc golfer on the course, one of you is lost.

Wooded and hilly
This course is the most wooded of the three. However, it does have nice open wide grassy fairways on most of the holes. The rolling terrain means there are elevation changes on many of the holes. This course is really a great use of the land and highlights the beauty. You feel miles away from the world while playing here.

Water Holes
There are no lake holes on WR Jackson, but water can come into play from the small stream winding through the course. Players should have no problem retrieving discs that go into the creek, unless it just rained and the water is high.

DISCatchers, Signs and Benches
There are signs on all tees with basic graphics and hole information. Many of the holes also have benches. Hole 8 has a really nice shelter area. This course uses DISCatcher Targets. The yellow band on the targets makes them easy to spot in the woods.

Restrooms
IDGC has restrooms while open. The course is heavily wooded, so there are plenty of opportunities for privacy during the round.

Parking - First Tee
The IDGC has a large parking area. Follow the signs for disc golf when you enter. You should be able to spot a target or two on your way in. . Park on the left side of the lot so you can stop by the car from 9 to 10. The first tee for WRJackson is behind the IDGC on the left side of the practice area.

Worth the entry fee
The courses are free to play, but the park has a daily entry fee per vehicle. A small price to pay to enjoy such an epic disc golf experience.
Cons: Championship Course
As mentioned by others, the stretch of holes from 11 to 13 seem quite out of place. This is a premier Championship Level course and IMHO, this stretch is not to that level. These holes are also randomly punitive in tournament play. Casual players do not have to play the creek and across as OB for more enjoyment.

Routing
There are a couple of long and potentially confusing walks during the round.

Guardian Trees
I am not of fan of guardian trees. Many holes on WRJ have a group of tree surrounding or among the 10 meter putting circle. This means you finally get down a 600 or 700 foot hole, only to find a couple of trees guarding the route to the target.

Other Thoughts: Pay to Play
While the courses are actually free to play, you do have to pay a fee to enter the park. The entry fee is well worth it.

Worth the trip
Some things are worth repeating. The IDGC is worth the trip. You get to experience three top notch courses in a top notch facility. Everything you would expect in a disc golf destination.

Lake with Camping
The park has a lake with day use areas, beaches, boat ramps and overnight camping. There are several campground areas available with many spots right on the lake. You can go swimming off Hole Holes 4 and 5 on the Steady Ed course in search of your lost discs.

IDGC is a 5 disc destination and the challenge and setting of WR Jackson is 5. The amenities and experience are all 5 discs. This course earns a 4.5 as it just misses the highest mark.

Put on your Big Boy Pants...

1    4/2/2015   4/2/2015
Review By: markmcc
Pros: This course is considered the most difficult of the three at the IDGC, and I agree. It is crazy long, with an average hole length of over 500' and a course par of 69. I didn't time my round, but wouldn't be surprised if I was out there for three hours.

What sets this course apart from most others is the excellent design of the par 4 and par 5 holes. These are not just stretched out par 3's, but rather holes that require a drive to a specific landing area to properly set you up for your next shot. Cranking out 400' drives isn't going to get you anything if you cannot hit your line. Better a modest, but accurate drive than a long one out into the trees.

Many of the holes offer two or even three different lines to play. Having a choice of BH or FH adds interest to many of the shots.

Like the other courses, good level concrete tee pads with perfect texture. The usual excellent John Houck signs with accurate hole diagrams, routes to the basket, etc. Baskets are all in good shape and catch well. And plenty of "next tee" signs to aid navigation.

The course is set up so that you loop back to the parking lot/pro shop after Hole 9. This is handy if you need to pick up additional discs, water or a snack.

The forest in which the course is built is a beautiful plot of land. The various courses are separated from the rest of the park, and you feel like you're alone in the woods while playing.
Cons: The only thing that keeps this course from being a 5 for me is the lack of "something else", like water or significant elevation. The Steady Ed course has some great water holes, and the Warner course offers plenty of elevation. This course lacks either of those elements.

The other potential "con" for some folks is that this is a tough course, plain and simple. If you don't enjoy a challenge I'd suggest skipping it and playing the other two.
Other Thoughts: Great pro shop on site, along with the PDGA museum and hall of fame. The location itself (Wildwood Park) is a great place to camp. We spent four nights here and enjoyed ourselves.

The modest fee to play ($3 a day for PDGA members) is more than fair, considering how nice these courses are.

9325ft

1    1/19/2015   1/24/2015
Review By: S.Cann
Pros: Jackson is LONG and wooded. Coming in at 9325 this course is probably the longest of the 100+ courses I have played. It really challenges your physical game as well as your mental game. Most courses that set out to be "Long" end up with poor hole design which equates to less fun DG. This is not the case for Jackson. Houck's design is fantastic and a lot of thought appears to be put into every tree.

While Warner had the thick rough where you essentially add a stroke every time you get off the fairway, Jackson was a little more forgiving. While the rough here is definitely a tough out you still have the opportunity to save a stroke in most cases.

I loved the gulleys and creeks winding through the back 9 that add to both the challenge and the beauty on many holes.

There are so many fantastic holes on this course that it really is impossible to pick just one. My personal favorites would be holes 1,5, and 12.
Cons: I believe that the length of this course is both a pro and a con. It does not tailor to newer players, that's for sure and will even leave experienced players wondering why they still play this sport. It gets a little daunting when every other hole is 500+. Hole 10 is a beast.

Navigation gets a little tricky after hole 9. It leads you to two paths, one leading to the club house and the other back to hole 1 and it isn't immediately obvious where to go. A little sign is needed pointing you past hole 1's tee pad.

While the clubhouse is fantastic complete with museum and pro shop, I really wish there was more in the realm of food options. There is nothing out here and you are really in trouble if you brought no snacks. I think a food truck here would make bank.
Other Thoughts: This was the best $3 I have ever spent. $3 to play 3 incredible courses it really doesn't get any better than that. If you're serious about disc golf, you need to make a trip out to the IDGC!

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5