10 Helpful / 0 Not
Thanks for playing
Pros: 1. First off the course is located less then a mile from the heart of Wrightwood and is very easy to get to. Plenty of stores and shops to stock up on food and snacks before heading up.
2. Only ten minutes away from Sky High disc golf course which is currently rated #1 in California at the time of the review.
3. Course has solid constructed baskets that look like Mach 3's and have a name plate on the top for each hole with the sponsors name.
4. 17 of the 18 holes had signs with hole info and detailed pictures. Easy to follow and spot the next tees for each hole.
5. Course has 18 baskets and tees with no sharing of either baskets or pads on the course. All teepads are defined.
6. Course has a good diversity of length. Shots from 200-400+ in feet.
7. A third of the holes have elevation to deal with and some raised baskets that make it very interesting.
8. Restrooms are located by the main office about 300 feet before hole 1. These are the only restrooms and are fairly easy to get to throught the first half of the course and at the end.
9. The layout was done to where you finish where you start without intersecting at the end. Nice when that happens.
10. There is a large parking lot near the entrance to the club and always has plenty of spots.
11. Course plays very nuetral and isn't righty or lefty dominate. Very fair course.
12. Little to no traffic on course. The majority of the time the course is empty unless some of the workers are playing it. It gets a little use in the summer when the pool is filled and the members come by more to use the facility.
13. The grounds of the country club are kept up year round. Grass is mowed weekly, trees are trimmed and leaves raked all the time. Even in the back half of the course wherevthe pine tree needles were are all cleaned up. Also there wasn't any trash laying around. Course was very clean.
14. The holes flowed well and kept the distances mixed up. The round never got stagnant.
Cons: 1. First off this course is private and you need a member to get you in. This can be difficult and its best to find a local to help get you in or ask around at Sky High if they can. A few of the staff that run the shop at Sky High know the Country Club staff and might be able to get you a few passes.
2. When I went with a member I didn't have to pay to play the course, but normally there is a 5-10 dollar guest pass for the day charge. It really depends who's there and how badly there looking to get the fee.
3. The drive to Wrightwood is out of the way for most. Over an hour from Pasadena/ LA and from San Bernardino it's like 40 minutes. Best to come up when you have a in for the country club and want to go play Sky High.
4. No restrooms on course or in the back holes. Would be nice if there was.
5. No trash cans on course so you need to pack your trash out.
6. The teepads were all natural, but could be smoothed out better in a few sections of the course. Most of the course tees from dirt, but a few holes are from grass and the last from concrete.
7. The course has a few crossing fairways. With the little traffic it isn't a problem by if they ever held a tourney or had two groups cross it might be.
8. No maps at office. It would be good if the country club made some maps and updated there info. A few holes have changed over the years since it first went in with the addition of a few new structures.
9. The last hole has a building that comes into play. To avoid this they should make a Mandy on the hole which wouldn't be hard since there are plenty of trees they could use to avoid the building getting hit or losing a disc over the building or on the roof.
10. One hole comes a little close to another play area and might be a problem if you get beginners playing here and they throw an arrant shot.
11. Seasonal, not possible to play when it snows and it snows every year. So at best the course is seasonal and only playable maybe 3/4 of the year.
Other Thoughts: It took me asking many people over the course of like a year before I got to play this course. When I did play it, it was with one of the sons of the orginal country club member who put the course in. I actually found a Pdga directory from like 1999-2000 and his phone number was still active. He actually said he had the same number for the past 27 years. Lucky me. I played this course with my father in law and the son of the country club member. We played it in like 90 minutes with no hiccups. Very enjoyable and its nice that Wrightwood is always 20 degrees cooler then down below in the valley. I wish it was easier to get into. If it was I would play the course more often. Every year I here they do a one day tourney called king of the mountain where they play one round at each course in Wrightwood and the best score is declared "King of Wrightwood". If you live in Wrightwood and can afford the membership you should get it. With the indoor gym, tennis courts, basketball, swimming pool, discgolf, and more its great for anyone and the kids.
10 of 10 people found this review helpful.
Join Disc Golf Course Review
for free to add your review. Have an account already? Sign In
to add a review.