Stevens Point, WI
Hole #16 Red Tee

Yugla

2-4    7/26/2012   7/27/2012
Review By: AH14203
Pros: Great layout, trees make it fun but hard at the same time.
Fun to play from all tees
pins move
some fun long holes to let loose on!!
Cons: Hard to follow if you havent played there before. would be more helpful if they had some signs up pointing to the next hole so you dont get off track.
Other Thoughts: Fun Course, would recomend that you play with someone who has played the course before so they can show you where to go. Also try to take a picture of the map to use as a reference. Also if you would want to have fun play all of the tees. it would be great practice and tons of fun

YIPEEE for YULGA

1    8/28/2011   9/24/2011
Pros: 1) 3 sets of tees colored red white and blue. Most holes have only 2 tees with red and white sharing or white and blue sharing from time to time, but the course has three different layouts with the 3 tees so that is awesome. The tees completely change the hole too which means this course would play like 2 full 18 hole courses if you play all the tees.

2) Concrete teepads are large and in good shape.

3) White Pines are one of my favorite trees to have on disc golf courses. I love how you can hear the wind blows through them and I love how they look and move in the wind. They also are large trees taking up a lot of space but they also can allow a shot through on occasion.

4) Navigation is fairly intuitive but you might end up at the wrong tee from time ot time if you follow the wrong worn footpath.

5) Red painted practice basket.

6) Benches are available from time to time which is nice. This course is an easy walk but if you are just out for a casual round you can take a breather every once in a while.

7) The course has some interesting holes and I noticed something interesting in the design. It seems to me like the designer really likes the idea of split fairways as this was a design element used on quite a few holes here.

8) The course is as clean as I have ever seen especially considering there are no garbage cans. Finally a course that people can respect to keep clean.

9) Awesome shot shaping on this course with all sorts of trees to work around. There is a tremendous amount of variety in the shots needed including throwing all directions and some straighter shots.
Cons: 1) No elevation change . . . at all.

2) No garbage cans on the course but it was remarkably clean for a course with nowhere to throw trash.

3) Some crossing points where you might get confused on the layout.

4) A few areas where if you don't know the course you might end up going into another fairway or around another tee or green. This could be dangerous but there generally are a lot of things in the way you would need to miss completely to endanger the other people.

5) Bike path runs around the perimeter of the course.

6) Small parking lot wouldn't allow for many people to be here at any one time, unless they allow overflow parking at the DPW lot across the street.
Other Thoughts: This is just an awesome course, it has a lot of different holes forcing you to throw a lot of different shots. It has an awesome feel to be playing through the dense old Pine trees. It is beautiful and challenging at the same time something that will always bring me back.

I ranked this a 4.00 but it is on the higher end of that range around 4.20 in my opinion, but it lacks a few features that would have gotten it a 4.5 disc rating from me. I will be back many times and I would love to play a tourney here.

Surprisingly Great

1    6/9/2011   8/29/2011
Review By: ZMan44
Pros: Variation: Yulga is predominantly a shorter course but there are some longer holes. In order to score well you will definitely have to be able to hit your lines and execute different types of shots.

Terrain: Yulga is played throughout a wooded area, but the brush has been cleaned out nicely. Finding errant shots is not difficult, but you are still punished by being off the fairway. I absolutely love this because it speeds up the pace of play and reduces the probability of lost discs.

Amenities: 3 tees per hole makes the course very versatile: Many of the tees were simply set at different angles, which I think is actually better than simply having a "short" tee and a "long" tee. This was my favorite aspect of the course...even though I only got to play it once. For local players, I'll bet this is very helpful.

Cons: Elevation: This is not the fault of the course designers...but there is no elevation change at all here. The course is set on a flat piece of land. It makes for an easy walk, but it does decrease the challenge.

While this is not technically a con, I will list it here. It can be confusing when different groups are playing different tees. Like I said in the "pros" section, the course is diverse with multple tees...but sometimes you cannot see the different tees. This could be a problem if you are caught by a "one-disc wonder". You could be teeing off and see a disc go flying down the fairway from a different angle. Probably not a major issue, but it could possibly be annoying.

No water on the course...for drinking or for an obstacle. Only bathroom is a port-a-pottie in the parking lot.
Other Thoughts: When my friends and I were planning our road-trip to Highbridge, we debated and debated over which courses to play. Being from Tennessee, we are not likely to make the trek again. I wanted to play Standing Rocks...and I was stubborn. However, I was over-ruled by the rest who said that after Iowa, Minnesota and Highbridge that we would probably be worn out and ready for a relaxing course. They were right. I was pleasantly surprised, and I recant my grumblings at playing Yulga. I am sure Standing Rocks is also good, but Yulga was definitely what the doctor ordered for that day. It turned out to be one of my favorite courses from the trip.

Overall, I think the course is a 3.5. However, the presence of three tees per hole bumps Yulga up to a 4.0 for me. I absolutely love the versatility and I wish I had a course exactly like this in my area.

If you are in the area, I would definitely recommend Yulga. It is a good place to get in a round that is not to grueling or stressful, but will definitely challenge you. It is an easy walk and a quick play...but not an easy course by any means. If only there was some elevation and water in play, this course would be way up my list. As it is, I am still happy to have Yulga as an "excellent" addition to my list of Played Courses.

Very Fun Course

1    9/28/2010   5/17/2011
Review By: DiscGolfer947
This review was updated on 8/6/2011
Pros: 1) very well maintained and has great drainage
2) multiple lanes to nearly every basket.
3) good mix of open and wooded.
4) multiple tees that are also cement and offer good footing for drives
5) great variation of shots
Cons: 1) tee signs are VERY undestriptive, couldnt find a few baskets.
2) trees are very annoying in the areas where they are planted in perfectly straight rows
3) very little elevation
Other Thoughts: only played this course once but man do i wish i could go back and play it again. this course was so much fun to play.

Yulga Public course

5+    5/10/2011   5/15/2011
Review By: VoodooDangerbird
Pros: 3 different tee boxes on most of the holes.
Different variety of runs on most holes.
Very few holes play alike on the course.
Excellent blackberries in late July and August.
Cons: Like most public courses, the litter lift behinds continues to disgust me. I really cannot emphasize how distasteful littering outside in a more naturalized area truly is and should not be tolerated by the disc golf community. The trees can really make you frustrated on this course, but as we say 'Welcome to Yulga.'
Public land
Other Thoughts: This course can really jump up and throw your game off from time to time. A good round can be really upset when the trees reach out and knock your disc down. This is a challenging course but regulars continue to play it despite the public littering and all the 'nice' drives that can be slapped down by the trees.

Fantastically fun and challenging

1    4/27/2011   4/28/2011
Review By: troyd
Pros: This course reminded me why I play disc golf. A great relief from the mundane, repetitive courses that make up the vast majority back home.
Tight, distinct fairways lined with tall pines force accurate and thought-out shots. Knowledge of your disc's is a must and a good perception of distance is also helpful.
There are a few ace runs too, and that is always a plus.
Though the majority of holes are not over 300 ft. but the distance can be deceiving and cause you to under or over throw.
Blues tees have a good number over 300, even a 400+.
All three different tees have great cement slabs and the course is easy to navigate, even without a course map. If you have one you might as well be at your home course. There is a practice basket before hole one which is always appreciated and a port-a-potty. Every tee had a log bench, incase you were trailing someone or need a rest. Plus picnic benches by the parking lot.
I would highly recommend this course to anyone visiting or living in the area. I can't wait to go back.
Cons: There's a good deal of garbage. This could be due to the lack of trash cans, which there are two at the start of the course by the parking lot. I wish all the posts marking the holes had the hole info on them. They probably did at one point.
Other Thoughts: Have fun, I know I did.

Yulga

2-4    3/10/2011   3/11/2011
Review By: ElementZ
Pros: This heavily wooded course provides a huge challenge to any disc golfer. Even though there are multiple holes where there are several possible lines you can take, each line is definitely not easy and can be unbelievably frustrating if you miss it by even an inch. While some of the holes are completely straight, they are deceiving in that it is nearly impossible to hit the gaps. This course really requires you to know your discs and how they fly.
There are multiple tee pads, red, white, and blue in increasing difficulty for all the holes with cement tees for all three! I thought this was really cool and is one of the few courses I've seen that does this. Usually the more difficult tees will only have a dirt tee.
It was very obvious that there was a disc golfing community in Stevens Point based on the filled bulletin board and the abundant tracks in the snow which guided us to the next hole everytime. It's always nice to see that. :)
Cons: When I played here, there weren't tee signs by the tees, so we didn't know distances and where the baskets were, so we'd always have to run ahead and look and come back. But, then again, a lot of the holes were fairly straight, so this wasn't too much of a problem.
With the exception of 5 or 6, all of the holes were straight and it felt a little repetitive at times. I really wish there would have been a hole where you could have just aired it out and crushed a disc.
Other Thoughts: I live in central Illinois and this was our pit stop between there and Highbridge and I have to say, this course was definitely a great place to stop. It really makes you think through your shots before you take them and improves your accuracy. Keep it up, Stevens Point!

The Essentials

5+    7/5/2010   7/24/2010
Review By: NatePio
Pros: Great variety of shots required to do well. Doesn't restrict players to one type of shot per hole. Reds and Whites great for beginners, while Blues provide a good challenge for veteran players. Well posted signage, easy to follow.
Cons: Lacking garbage cans. Gets very crowded in spring and fall. Due to proximity to Stevens Point, a lot of people who have no respect for the game or its courses frequent it.
Other Thoughts: Out of all the courses in the Stevens Point area, this is the one that provides the most bang for its buck as its free. Not as good as Standing Rocks, but very close.

Stevens Point's Gem

5+    5/15/2010   7/5/2010
Review By: Ace D
Pros: Excellent variety of holes in terms of path, distance, and tree obstacles. Course is carved from tall trees with thin trunks. Mature forest provides for a memorably scenic round. Majority of holes have signs intact for all three sets of tees. Large, concrete tee pads and benches made from tree trunks. Most holes are 250-350 feet but require precise turns and fades in order to successfully negotiate trees. Finish the round with your best bomb drive (420 feet with trees guarding the basket area). No two holes are alike. Ground is blanketed with pine needles and other brush so that losing a disc is a rare event.
Cons: Those who crave elevation change will be left wanting. For only a few holes you will find yourself throwing similar drives. A few of the most heavily wooded holes can seem cheap in difficulty of finding a workable path (#16). Your discs will pick up some tree sap during a round!
Other Thoughts: Gravel parking lot plus another lot across the street. If both lots are full, it will probably worth your time to haul over to Standing Rocks instead.

Yulga - first impressions

2-4    5/31/2010   5/31/2010
Review By: Carno364
This review was updated on 6/8/2010
Pros: The course is well laid out, from the start. Nicely has a blue, white, and red tee on almost all holes and is designed to have a different experience no matter what tee you use. The course was well kept up with no over growth considering it is through the woods. Baskets and markers are easily visible.
Cons: Litter throughout the course, only trash cans available are by the parking lot. Beware broken beer bottles.

Routes to the next tees can get a little confusing if you don't know the area, and a bunch of map and hole number markers are missing from the stakes at the beginning of each hole.
Other Thoughts: Although it is well laid out, and presents some challenges, its flat, has no water, and trees are the only obstacle.

A few of the back 9 holes feel like they were giving up on creating the course, and just put the holes in to finish the course up. It edges on a neighborhood with some houses, and hole 14 is an easy 2 shot.

Overall I was very impressed with the course. I will definitely play it again if I am in the Stevens Point area.