Stevens Point, WI
3 / 233ft.   3 / 233ft.   3 / 233ft.   3 / -- Par / Distance:
Hole #14 Red/White/Blue Tee

1    6/9/2011   10/1/2011
Review By: bjreagh
Pros: 18 holes set on land solely used for disc golf. It plays back and forth through two distinct types of forests- mostly in a tall pine forest but some in your typical deciduous forest. The baskets are in good condition and each hole has 2-3 possible locations that get moved around offering variety for locals. The holes have a pretty good mix of left, straight, and right with a nice variety of density of trees. The course has 3 sets of tees- blue, white, red- which are the main strength of the course. The distances are not all that different on most, but the angle to the basket is substantially different, and in many cases the shorter tee may not necessarily be the easiest.

This course was really fun, relaxing, and overall enjoyable. It offers enough challenge without being stressfully difficult. The fairways are well-worn and the undergrowth is not thick making it easy to find your disc after errant shots and unfortunate deflections.
Cons: The tee signs were horrible- most were broken or missing. This is especially bad when there are 3 sets of tees as you don't know which ones are for what hole. In many spots the holes are really close to one another adding to the confusion. Navigation is harder than it should be for this reason and we spent a lot of time wandering down paths only to find a tee with no hole # on it. Not helping this problem are the numerous worn dirt paths that are not the one you want (if in doubt take the most worn one, it is usually the way). This may be because the locals (mainly younger kids and beginners and recreational players of which there were lots there the day I played) appeared to just run around and jump to whatever hole they wanted to play in seemingly random order. I like that the multiple tees played from different angles more so than different distances, but there are many that are blind from the other tee so you have no idea if somebody else is teeing off- makes it difficult if some members in your group are playing from the other, but almost chaotic with other people approaching tees from the other direction blindly out of order and teeing off the same time as you. Also, there are not always 3 tees on each hole. Sometimes the white (middle) tee was the same as the red, sometimes the same as blue, and others by itself.

Not the courses fault, but there is pretty much no elevation and no water, not so much making the holes somewhat repetitive, but more just the fact that these factors are just not present (the kinds of things I expect from a 4.0+ rated course). Also the distance from one hole to the next does not vary drastically.

The parking lot is dirt/gravel and very small. There are no restrooms or water- there was a port-a-pottie though- for restrooms, not water. ;)
Other Thoughts: This is fun course, geared mainly towards local recreational level players. Experienced disc golfers can enjoy the basic challenges offered here, but should be able to score well. Birdies are possible on many holes, and pars are expected and not too difficult, even from a poor tee shot. This is a nice stop on the way to and from Highbridge, but not a disc golf destination on its own. (I wish we had had time to play Standing Rocks, but having 2 decent courses in the same area is a bonus.)

I think this course has a lot of potential because the land it is on is great for disc golf and the overall hole design is very good. However, there are too many cons and the course is in desperate need of some maintenance- mainly new (more durable) tee signs.

I know many others think this course is a 4.0, but to me it only has the potential to be a weak 4.0. My first thoughts after walking off hole #18 was a strong 2.5- just better than average. After thinking about it a while, I did really like the holes themselves, but it needs more than that to be put into the top 10% of courses I have played. I hope I was able to explain in my Cons why I feel this way. That being said, I liked the course and do recommend it to disc golfers traveling nearby.

YIPEEE for YULGA

1    8/28/2011   9/24/2011
Pros: 1) 3 sets of tees colored red white and blue. Most holes have only 2 tees with red and white sharing or white and blue sharing from time to time, but the course has three different layouts with the 3 tees so that is awesome. The tees completely change the hole too which means this course would play like 2 full 18 hole courses if you play all the tees.

2) Concrete teepads are large and in good shape.

3) White Pines are one of my favorite trees to have on disc golf courses. I love how you can hear the wind blows through them and I love how they look and move in the wind. They also are large trees taking up a lot of space but they also can allow a shot through on occasion.

4) Navigation is fairly intuitive but you might end up at the wrong tee from time ot time if you follow the wrong worn footpath.

5) Red painted practice basket.

6) Benches are available from time to time which is nice. This course is an easy walk but if you are just out for a casual round you can take a breather every once in a while.

7) The course has some interesting holes and I noticed something interesting in the design. It seems to me like the designer really likes the idea of split fairways as this was a design element used on quite a few holes here.

8) The course is as clean as I have ever seen especially considering there are no garbage cans. Finally a course that people can respect to keep clean.

9) Awesome shot shaping on this course with all sorts of trees to work around. There is a tremendous amount of variety in the shots needed including throwing all directions and some straighter shots.
Cons: 1) No elevation change . . . at all.

2) No garbage cans on the course but it was remarkably clean for a course with nowhere to throw trash.

3) Some crossing points where you might get confused on the layout.

4) A few areas where if you don't know the course you might end up going into another fairway or around another tee or green. This could be dangerous but there generally are a lot of things in the way you would need to miss completely to endanger the other people.

5) Bike path runs around the perimeter of the course.

6) Small parking lot wouldn't allow for many people to be here at any one time, unless they allow overflow parking at the DPW lot across the street.
Other Thoughts: This is just an awesome course, it has a lot of different holes forcing you to throw a lot of different shots. It has an awesome feel to be playing through the dense old Pine trees. It is beautiful and challenging at the same time something that will always bring me back.

I ranked this a 4.00 but it is on the higher end of that range around 4.20 in my opinion, but it lacks a few features that would have gotten it a 4.5 disc rating from me. I will be back many times and I would love to play a tourney here.

Surprisingly Great

1    6/9/2011   8/29/2011
Review By: ZMan44
Pros: Variation: Yulga is predominantly a shorter course but there are some longer holes. In order to score well you will definitely have to be able to hit your lines and execute different types of shots.

Terrain: Yulga is played throughout a wooded area, but the brush has been cleaned out nicely. Finding errant shots is not difficult, but you are still punished by being off the fairway. I absolutely love this because it speeds up the pace of play and reduces the probability of lost discs.

Amenities: 3 tees per hole makes the course very versatile: Many of the tees were simply set at different angles, which I think is actually better than simply having a "short" tee and a "long" tee. This was my favorite aspect of the course...even though I only got to play it once. For local players, I'll bet this is very helpful.

Cons: Elevation: This is not the fault of the course designers...but there is no elevation change at all here. The course is set on a flat piece of land. It makes for an easy walk, but it does decrease the challenge.

While this is not technically a con, I will list it here. It can be confusing when different groups are playing different tees. Like I said in the "pros" section, the course is diverse with multple tees...but sometimes you cannot see the different tees. This could be a problem if you are caught by a "one-disc wonder". You could be teeing off and see a disc go flying down the fairway from a different angle. Probably not a major issue, but it could possibly be annoying.

No water on the course...for drinking or for an obstacle. Only bathroom is a port-a-pottie in the parking lot.
Other Thoughts: When my friends and I were planning our road-trip to Highbridge, we debated and debated over which courses to play. Being from Tennessee, we are not likely to make the trek again. I wanted to play Standing Rocks...and I was stubborn. However, I was over-ruled by the rest who said that after Iowa, Minnesota and Highbridge that we would probably be worn out and ready for a relaxing course. They were right. I was pleasantly surprised, and I recant my grumblings at playing Yulga. I am sure Standing Rocks is also good, but Yulga was definitely what the doctor ordered for that day. It turned out to be one of my favorite courses from the trip.

Overall, I think the course is a 3.5. However, the presence of three tees per hole bumps Yulga up to a 4.0 for me. I absolutely love the versatility and I wish I had a course exactly like this in my area.

If you are in the area, I would definitely recommend Yulga. It is a good place to get in a round that is not to grueling or stressful, but will definitely challenge you. It is an easy walk and a quick play...but not an easy course by any means. If only there was some elevation and water in play, this course would be way up my list. As it is, I am still happy to have Yulga as an "excellent" addition to my list of Played Courses.

Very Fun Course

1    9/28/2010   5/17/2011
Review By: DiscGolfer947
This review was updated on 8/6/2011
Pros: 1) very well maintained and has great drainage
2) multiple lanes to nearly every basket.
3) good mix of open and wooded.
4) multiple tees that are also cement and offer good footing for drives
5) great variation of shots
Cons: 1) tee signs are VERY undestriptive, couldnt find a few baskets.
2) trees are very annoying in the areas where they are planted in perfectly straight rows
3) very little elevation
Other Thoughts: only played this course once but man do i wish i could go back and play it again. this course was so much fun to play.

Yulga Public course

5+    5/10/2011   5/15/2011
Review By: VoodooDangerbird
Pros: 3 different tee boxes on most of the holes.
Different variety of runs on most holes.
Very few holes play alike on the course.
Excellent blackberries in late July and August.
Cons: Like most public courses, the litter lift behinds continues to disgust me. I really cannot emphasize how distasteful littering outside in a more naturalized area truly is and should not be tolerated by the disc golf community. The trees can really make you frustrated on this course, but as we say 'Welcome to Yulga.'
Public land
Other Thoughts: This course can really jump up and throw your game off from time to time. A good round can be really upset when the trees reach out and knock your disc down. This is a challenging course but regulars continue to play it despite the public littering and all the 'nice' drives that can be slapped down by the trees.

Fantastically fun and challenging

1    4/27/2011   4/28/2011
Review By: troyd
Pros: This course reminded me why I play disc golf. A great relief from the mundane, repetitive courses that make up the vast majority back home.
Tight, distinct fairways lined with tall pines force accurate and thought-out shots. Knowledge of your disc's is a must and a good perception of distance is also helpful.
There are a few ace runs too, and that is always a plus.
Though the majority of holes are not over 300 ft. but the distance can be deceiving and cause you to under or over throw.
Blues tees have a good number over 300, even a 400+.
All three different tees have great cement slabs and the course is easy to navigate, even without a course map. If you have one you might as well be at your home course. There is a practice basket before hole one which is always appreciated and a port-a-potty. Every tee had a log bench, incase you were trailing someone or need a rest. Plus picnic benches by the parking lot.
I would highly recommend this course to anyone visiting or living in the area. I can't wait to go back.
Cons: There's a good deal of garbage. This could be due to the lack of trash cans, which there are two at the start of the course by the parking lot. I wish all the posts marking the holes had the hole info on them. They probably did at one point.
Other Thoughts: Have fun, I know I did.

Yulga

2-4    3/10/2011   3/11/2011
Review By: ElementZ
Pros: This heavily wooded course provides a huge challenge to any disc golfer. Even though there are multiple holes where there are several possible lines you can take, each line is definitely not easy and can be unbelievably frustrating if you miss it by even an inch. While some of the holes are completely straight, they are deceiving in that it is nearly impossible to hit the gaps. This course really requires you to know your discs and how they fly.
There are multiple tee pads, red, white, and blue in increasing difficulty for all the holes with cement tees for all three! I thought this was really cool and is one of the few courses I've seen that does this. Usually the more difficult tees will only have a dirt tee.
It was very obvious that there was a disc golfing community in Stevens Point based on the filled bulletin board and the abundant tracks in the snow which guided us to the next hole everytime. It's always nice to see that. :)
Cons: When I played here, there weren't tee signs by the tees, so we didn't know distances and where the baskets were, so we'd always have to run ahead and look and come back. But, then again, a lot of the holes were fairly straight, so this wasn't too much of a problem.
With the exception of 5 or 6, all of the holes were straight and it felt a little repetitive at times. I really wish there would have been a hole where you could have just aired it out and crushed a disc.
Other Thoughts: I live in central Illinois and this was our pit stop between there and Highbridge and I have to say, this course was definitely a great place to stop. It really makes you think through your shots before you take them and improves your accuracy. Keep it up, Stevens Point!

worth a stop if you are in the area

5+    1/30/2011   2/1/2011
Review By: link_smitty42205
Pros: Yulga is a course that manages a small piece of wooded property (pine plantation) rather well to put together a fun, yet challenging, 18 hole course.

The course has multiple pin locations and 3 tee pads on nearly every hole, with some holes using the same tee pad. Each pin location gets shifted rather regularly throughout the "season," with some being more challenging than others, obviously. I like days I can get out there and play full rounds from all three locations, because on a lot of holes that provides three entirely different perspectives on your drives.

One thing I like the most about Yulga (when it isn't busy) is that you are only a few miles outside of town yet you get the feeling you are in the "woods," which is always a treat for the avid discer if you ask me.

Even though it is a very flat course, it does provide a very wide variety of shots: from hyzers, anhyzers, straight shots through tight windows, to a few holes you can give a good rip to a disc. (depending on how far you can throw a drive) but ofcourse, watch out for those trees.
Cons: Lack of variety in its hazards. I mean, I start to feel sorry for all the trees that get punished out there!
-no elevation play
-no water hazards
It is pretty much a course in a pine plantation that even struggles to produce underbrush on most holes. Nonetheless, the land was utilized as well as it could have been, and it is still a very fun course.

Vandalism and littering has started to get out of hand, for it is a course that is free and isn't really maintained much off of the path that drives through the center. A lot of the signage has gotten torn down or screwed with so it isn't as nice for newcomers which is a real shame.

The main reason I will drive the extra 10 miles out to Standing Rocks in the summer months though is the fact that it is always PACKED!!!! This course gets the most traffic in the Stevens Point area BY FAR! Unless you go out in the early morning hours (before 10 am) expect a wait on most holes if you are with a group of more than 2 people.
Other Thoughts: Overall I would recommend Yulga to any discer. It can be fun and challenging to all styles of players. You need to be precise on drives and approach shots alike. Don't forget bug spray and pack out your trash!

Short - Little variety

5+    6/20/2010   10/12/2010
Review By: ErixTheRed
Pros: -Close to town
-Good use of multiple tees
-New pin locations can completely change a hole
Cons: -Flat
-Narrow
-Short
-Repetitive
Other Thoughts: For someone who likes getting their driver some fresh air, this is not an ideal course. The tricky lines through the trees keep it interesting but are sometimes absurd.

Flat and Wooded

2-4    8/12/2010   8/19/2010
Review By: Bushmaster
This review was updated on 8/27/2010
Pros: This is nice course that requires many different types of shots around and through trees. A couple of ace chances. Close to Point but it feels like you are in a pretty secluded area. Three different tee boxes. Concrete tee pads.
Cons: After awhile all the holes seem a little similar. Very flat with no elevation changes. Many of the holes have no signs up anymore due to vandalism. Pretty crowded.
Other Thoughts: Not a bad course but not anything all that special either. If you go to Yulga definetly go to Standing Rocks as well, you will like the elevation changes there. BRING BUG SPRAY