Zebulon, NC
Zebulon Community Park Share
Uploaded By: lbaggers Hole #1 (Taken 11/2013)

Zippin' through Zebulon

1    8/1/2015   8/8/2015
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: The sun was already low in the sky when my dog and I parked the truck near the first tee. 7:48 PM to be exact. With signs making it clear the park closes at dark, I was not sure we could get in all 18 holes. Rushing through, I was very pleased with the course, and we did manage to play them all. The large concrete pads and tee signs were great. Baskets were all in good condition. Really the park was quite nice, did not see any litter. As far as the course goes, I thought the layout was pretty good, but I was glad I printed a map to consult when I had any doubt. There was not extreme elevation change, the majority of holes were nicely framed by large trees, and the water came into play a couple of times. There were also 3 or 4 holes that were primarily grassy and open, maybe going into or teeing out of a few trees. Par is 57, and I finished with a 63. My only birdie was on hole 3 and that was due to a very lucky ricochet off of a tree near the pin. After a day of lumber jacking my way through 3 other long and heavily wooded NC disc golf courses, Zebulon provided a nice change of pace. A fairly good mix of medium to long distance holes, but still plenty of room to get off good drives on the wooded fairways. No really crazy doglegs, but not straight lines either. The first hole was a nice starter. Hole 3 forced a choice between laying up before the creek or driving the green. Hole 10 was and interesting drive on a long fairway with an above ground pipe running along the last part. Holes 13-18 were more open, and 17 was a bomber. I like the wooded portion better, but it was well laid out and fun. Darkness was upon us as I finished out hole 18 and we returned to the truck. One hour to finish the round, I was the only disc golfer playing that Saturday evening.
Cons: There are a couple of areas where other park users might interfere with your game, playgrounds and trails are near a couple of holes.
Other Thoughts: A very good course in a nice park setting. Zebulon was the perfect way to close out a hard day of disc golf. Great course design, and a bit easier than Buckhorn, UNC, Deep Dreams Creek, and Rockness which had beat me up earlier that weekend. I liked it a lot, and shooting a low score is not out of the question here. I wish I would have had more time in the day to enjoy it.

1    8/8/2015   8/8/2015
Review By: Weeluck
Pros: Well maintained. Bathrooms and parking available. Good maps available online. Hole information at tee-box accurate and well maintained, exception of hole 18 which seems to be under maintenance.
Cons: Busy. Difficult to locate tee boxes. Fairways are sometimes narrow and crowding with players from other holes.
Other Thoughts: Played this course with my wife on an early Saturday morning. I was glad that I brought a print out of the course as I don't think we would have found some of the tee boxes if I hadn't. It was a challenging course with plenty of trees.

Good signage, but incorrect map

2-4    5/2/2015   5/2/2015
Review By: KenanFlagler01
This review was updated on 8/22/2015
Pros: - Very nice and well-maintained public park.

- Good variety of wooded holes and wide open ones where you can just grip and rip.

- Awesome tee pads: huge, well maintained.

- Some good elevation, not a ton, but the course uses what is available nicely.

- Very good signage. Once I decided where I was going to start my round (more on that in the cons section), I never had any issues with navigation. Pars, distance, obstacles, and basket locations are on each sign.

UPDATED to mention two more positives:

- Hole #2 has a nice risk/reward element. You can go for the basket off the tee or you can layup in front of a creek in a nice landing area. Very good hole that makes you decide if you want to go for it or not. And even if you don't, you have an outside chance at birdie throwing from the landing area across the creek. Very fun putt, if you choose that route.

- Really good mix of hyzer and anhyzer drives. There's just so much variety at this course.
Cons: - The biggest issue for me is that the course map doesn't match up with the signage. I believe #2 used to be #1, but they remapped it so that the old #18 is now #1. I ended up starting on #2 and finishing on #1. I guess they did this to make #18 a fun, unique finishing hole. It's a blind shot with elevation behind the fence of one of the baseball fields (my favorite hole here). But if you follow the old map like I did, it will confuse the dickens out of you. If you want to start at #1, park at the basketball courts, NOT the playground like I did.

- Drainage is a problem. There was a rain-produced water hazard on #5 when I played. Lots of soggy areas.

- I like the length of the course, it's a great challenge, but some of the par 3's are a real stretch for intermediate and noodle arm players (like me). Not many birdie opportunities unless you're long off the tee.

UPDATED 8/22: They changed the tee on #18. This used to be one of my favorite holes. You threw from the top of a hill to a blind dogleg left, hyzering out over the outfield fence of he baseball field. For whatever reason, they closed off the hill and now the tee is at the bottoms of the steps. It's still dogleg left, but now it's flat and very short. The fun factor is cut way down on this hole. Bummer.
Other Thoughts: Now that I know where I'm going, I will definitely play this course again. It easily makes my top 5 courses in the Triangle, but I'd put it behind Apex, UNC, and Buckhorn.

Very Good Park Course

1    9/10/2014   9/11/2014
Review By: Cripes
Pros: Zebulon community park is a very nice and well maintained park. The course winds around the edges of the park and overall does a nice job of avoiding the high traffic areas. This course is longer that your typical pitch and putt around a park and there are some legitimate par 4s here.

The holes are mostly well thought out with a nice mix of wooded and open. The width of the fairways on the wooded holes are very fair. They are narrow enough to be challenging but always offer a line that intermediate players should be able to hit.

The concrete tee pads are all in good shape and the hole signage is excellent. They give an accurate depiction of the hole and the line. This comes in handy because the baskets can be hard to see. The tee signs also clearly describe the OB areas. The park has also done a good job of putting up signs to alert other park users of the disc golf course.
Cons: Holes 2 and 3 are very close to the playground.
Water drainage issues on hole 1 and 5.
The signs by the teepads are very nice but I would have liked a few more navigational signs to the next tee.
Other Thoughts: This is definately one of the nicest winding through a park courses I have played. Overall it makes great use of the terrain and mostly avoids the high traffic areas. There are a lot of great holes here and it is worth checking out if you are in the area.

5+    6/29/2014   7/2/2014
Review By: logjammin
Pros: The signage is very good.
The teepads are ample concrete slabs. Very wide and long, and level with the ground where possible.
There is a good variety of holes, and I didn't get bored there.
After you make it through hole 3, there isn't too much non disc golf traffic to worry about.
The parking lot is right next to hole 1. There is a kiosk with a map. And there's a practice basket right there. And hole 18 ends up right there.
Although there are several "water holes," there's no danger of losing a disc in the water.
You might have to wade in a shallow creek, though.
And there really isn't a lot of undergrowth where you could lose a disc easily.
Cons: It has the old time baskets that are just gray metal. They don't stand out as I'm peering through the woods for the basket.
The layout has you walking back and forth a lot. Hole 5, for example, has the basket close to basket 4. You just walk across a field, throw back to where you came from, and walk back across the field.
Hole 5 also frequently has a swampy area just short of the basket.
On holes 2 and 3, there are usually a lot of kids in the way.
At hole 4, there's a sign that says the Pampas grass is out of bounds. I don't know what Pampas grass is, but almost the entire fairway is grass.
In the summer, there is a lot of baseball activity. It's not really in the way, but it can be distracting.
Other Thoughts: Sometime in the last couple of years, they changed the hole numbers around. The old 18 is now hole 1, and the old 17 is now 18, etc. I like this arrangement better. The big map and the practice basket are right by the parking lot, and tee # 1 is right there too. This works out better. There's a creek running through 1-3, and you have to throw across the creek on each one. No big deal. But the family area by 2 and 3 can be a problem. Lots of kids and parents there. 1-3 are moderate length holes, with a few obstacles, and doglegs at the end. 4 is very long, and the fairway runs next to a fenced soccer field. The basket is in the woods off to the left. Then the #5 detour, and back into the woods for 6, which runs parallel to 4, in the opposite direction. 7 runs along the right side of the creek, and is kinda short. 8 is longer, in a mildly wooded area. 9 is a lazy left turning fairway, with a tight squeeze in the middle.
Then is 10! a long downhill left turning fairway, with mowed grass, and a pipeline along the edge. 11 and 12 are average lanes through the woods, and the tee for 13 is right next to the tee for 10. They really could have used the same concrete tee, and had signs facing 2 different directions. Anyway, 13 comes out of the woods, uphill slightly, and ends up next to the baseball complex. There's an open field next to it, where you'll throw the next 4 holes back and forth. Then 18 is a downhill left-turning blind throw that ends up next to a fenced basketball court.

Best Community Park Course I've Played

1    7/21/2013   7/22/2013
Review By: alecfalzone
Pros: Baskets - Both the placement and quality of the baskets are pretty good for where the course is located. There is also a practice basket before hole 1 with some interesting putting opportunities.
Course Layout - There are tight fairways, bomb shots, RHFH and RHBH drives, short holes, par 4's are real par 4's, OB's make sense, decent sized tee-pads
Facilities - Cold water fountains, bathrooms, park for the kids/wife
Cons: Signage - Most of the signs are sun-bleached and illegible. In addition to not accurately depicting the basket placement when you can read them.
Navigation - Definitely not the easiest to navigate, but not terrible. You can figure it out as I did after some walks on the fairway and back to the tee. Holes 3/4 shoot at the same basket also, not a fan of that really.
Mandos - There are at least 2 mandos, maybe three? These are pointless and limit your shot selection. They make the holes easier if anything. Especially the forehand along the creek on #6 or #7?
Traffic - Holes 1-3 have a lot of park patrons even when there aren't baseball games going on. I am guessing the back 9 will be unplayable when there is a ball game in progress.
Other Thoughts: I had a little kid start to pick up my disc that I parked on #1, I had to yell at her to leave it alone. Beware of kids on the first few holes. Be sure to bring good bug spray, mosquitos on the back 9 are awful with a lot of standing water in the woods. I left with at least 6 bites all over me. I am being generous with a 3.5 I think, if it wasn't the best park-based course I've played I would rate it a 3/5. If the signage is updated with directions to the next pads in addition to individual baskets/fairways for every hole I would have no problem giving this a 4/5. 14-16 are on the same exact fairway, where is the variety here? I am happy I finally found a course in the Raleigh area where I can air out my drives for once :).

Mixed Bag Delivers the Woods

1    7/15/2013   7/16/2013
Review By: reposado
Pros: Zebulon is best described as a mixed bag. You start out shooting through a playground. The next shot runs parallel to a creek. Then you go into the woods. You venture deeper until you reach a 640-foot bomb alongside a pipeline. From there you turn back. You emerge from the woods to throw a few times back and forth across an open meadow. From there, you play along athletic fields until you return to the start.

For the most part, this is a very well-designed course, with a lot of variety, not just in terms of terrain, but in length and shape of hole. There is a lot to like here, but it delivers the best holes in the wooded section. The highlight holes are 2 which run along the brook. (After that, the brook turns away from the course sadly) The clear water bubbles along swiftly. (Not disc stealing swift, anything that lands in there will almost certainly catch on a rock.

1 and 18 are pretty fantastic as well. Both cages sit just over that same brook from 2. The one issue is that these holes are all in pedestrian-rich parts of the park. I think they are worth the wait.

4 is also good now that it has been moved and you no longer have to shoot over the soccer field. (The field is still parallel to the fairway but the basket is now in the woods to the left though the map has not been updated.
Cons: Where the course falters is in some of the more open throws. I appreciate the opportunity to air it out midway through the course, but using the exact same field for three fairways is less than innovative and if the course had been more crowded, I could see this being a danger zone.

The worst hole though is seventeen. The tee is elevated and it would be a nice left swinging hook if it wasn't so precariously close to the baseball field. Add in the fact that you throw directly into the sun in the evening and many a disc tosser will find themselves walking all the way around the outfield fence.

Still, this would be a four-star course if it weren't for the water. I don't mean water hazards, the brook itself is awesome. I mean the standing water that collects in several areas, unmarked on the map. I'm sure it isn't usually as bad as it was when I saw it. They would have had a hard time pouring the fifteenth tee under a foot of water. That isn't the worst part though. It's the 20-foot puddle that you find where from the tee and map looked like an ideal landing spot for your drive. (4 and 14)

Other Thoughts: Would definitely return. Would definitely make sure it was after a dry spell.

Good mix of open/wooded

2-4    7/2/2012   7/3/2012
Review By: 11abush11
Pros: Great mix of open wooded
Nice scorecards
Big bombs/short tech. holes
left/right equality shots
Nice park
Solid Golf holes
Cons: One set of pins
One set of tees
Not for beginners
No flag markings or color on baskets can cause a problem because of older dga baskets.
People on road for #3 and other sports to be watchful of like baseball/softball/walkers.
No real wow factors.
Other Thoughts: Great course just needs some glitter.
Seriously I know this is a championship style course, but they need to do some things like paint the baskets/alternate pins or just not make it seem like an older style course. Not for the faint of heart for you young golfers out there with no beginner tees.
I like Zeb. it needs some love and that "WOW" factor but I think with some sparkle I'm sure this course could be one of the best in N.C.

1    3/11/2012   3/13/2012
Review By: Thumper35
Pros: A good mix of wooded and open holes. There are a few holes you gotta bomb it to hope to finish par.
Cons: The holes in the wide open field feel a little tacked on. All the other holes feel like there were Alot of time and preparation in creating them. It is just a bummer that the bomb holes didn't feel that way.
Other Thoughts: Over a pretty good course

5+    1/20/2012   1/27/2012
Review By: New013
Pros: Atmosphere - Nice park feel to the course. It's open and landscaped very well. Some of the holes are very scenic, a few have a creek running through them. Never really that crowded either.

Equipment - Baskets and teepads are in good shape. There are benches and trashcans on a lot of holes, restrooms/fountain at #1.

Layout - Zeb has a good mix of hole types. Even though it's mostly lightly wooded or open it uses the trees it does have very well to create tight shots and multiple paths. It has a good mix of long and short holes as well with some long bomb opportunities.

For the most part Zeb is a gap hitting course, not that many placement shots are required. It uses the available land features very well to accomplish it. It's a marginal risk reward course, some holes have it and some don't. It will force you to be fairly accurate off the tee in a few places which is a plus for me.

The course has pretty good flow for the most part, you won't find yourself walking really far to the next tee or being lost. It's a big loop and 18 spits you back out right at the parking lot.
Cons: Atmosphere - In the summer you'll run in to an army of angry insects on the front 9. It can be really bad depending on where your disc lands. If it rains heavily some holes can be mucky, some bad drainage areas.

The park is also used for baseball, kids, basketball.. these people can be in your way.

Equipment - the signs are small, old and sometimes not there. they need to be updated. i do wish #3's teepad was either bigger or positioned better; for a long bomb hole you aren't given any room to run up from off the teepad.

Layout - The course is mostly flat which is something that I don't normally enjoy. It works with the course a bit though. It could mix in a couple more really technical holes that require more than just straightish gap hitting shots.

Only one set of tees... that's lame.

While I really like a lot of the holes on this course some are just so bad and positioned so poorly that it really detracts from the overall feel.

#3 is a long bomb hole that runs right up a dirt road which is sometimes heavily used. the road is also right next to the baseball field which is OB and a pain if you land over there because there's only one gate to go in and out of.

#12 - I actually like the design of this hole but again the park road comes in to play and you're throwing blind at it. Could be dangerous if people aren't aware of what's going on.

#13-16 - they're all almost completely open holes in a big field kinda crammed together. it would be better if it were just 2 out of the 4; i'd go 14 & 16. just really detracts from the feel of the course.

#18 - it's a good hole but it's swampy and can be a real muck at times. not the best finishing hole in the world.
Other Thoughts: Zeb has it's fair share of really solid dg holes that are scenic as well. It's a fun course to play in good conditions. Let's you really rip which is a big contrast from most of the other area courses.

My favorite holes include -

#1 - One of the best opening holes in the area. Gives you two routes to go slightly downhill to where the basket is located across a creek. Gorgeous hole.

#6 - Perhaps the best looking hole on the course; runs next to the creek and has a few randomly placed trees in the fairway that keep it shaded. Basket sits next to the creek, multiple routes.

#7 - Great layout to this hole, it's got length but requires you to hit one of a couple gaps. Green is semi-protected with a grouping of trees which forces another route choice.

#9 - Bomber hole with a 50' wide fairway that turns left and drops down at the end where the basket sits next to an exposed water pipe. Fun hole to let one go.

#11 - big sweeping anny hole, probably the most technical hole on the course. it's one of the most wooded you'll see.

#14 - i like this hole, if it wasn't crammed in with the other four i'd love it. it's open and long but you're along the wood line and the hole ends up guarded by another wood line. you'll need a long but very well placed shot to deuce.

#17 - fun elevated blind hyzer shot. gives the course some variety when it desperately needs it.

I'd give this course a 4 if they did something with the holes I mentioned; but overall it's one to hit if you're in the area.