Zephyr Cove, NV
Uploaded By: renotahoedg Hole #8

Best Course in Tahoe

1    9/23/2010   9/25/2010
Review By: coldshark
Pros:
Everything. Seriously.

-Spectacular setting. Unbeatable views of Lake Tahoe and the surrounding mountains.

-Tons of elevation change. Come to think of it, I don't think there is a single hole that's flat.

-Challenging options at every hole. Countless high risk/reward opportunities. You can/will use every throw in your arsenal.

-Primarily a Disc Golf park. I played in the late morning and didn't see another sole until just before I left.

-Excellent signage. Current pin locations are marked with tape on the signs. I found all but one or two pins from the tee boxes.

*Bonus: for some of the less obvious holes, there were markings pointing to the next tee.

-Well laid out, great use of the space.

-Excellently maintained tee pads w/ alternate pads on some holes.

-Alternate pin locals for variety if you play here often.

-Easy to find. Just off Hwy 50, simply follow the directions on the main description page.
Cons:
-None for me.

-If you'd have any, they'd be personal.

-Even the Manzanita bushes weren't very hindering. Not much risk for eating discs. I was fine in shorts, but if you're a whimp about scratches on your legs, wear long pants.
I'd have to say one of the premiere courses I've played, period. Not just in Tahoe. I LOVE the elevation change on each hole. This course makes no effort to hide it either. The first three holes are straight up the mountain--a quick break on 4, then right back up the next three holes to 9's tee at the top.

Some of the tee's can be a bit tricky to find, but only the first time through--and nothing absurd like I've experienced elsewhere. The path is usually pretty clear if you look for the long logs on the ground that line it.

I like to hike, as well as play disc, so this was the best of both worlds for me. But even if you're not an avid hiker, don't let Zephyr's uphill climbs keep you away. It's not ridiculously grueling. Plus the view is so spectacular that stopping for a break to look around is something you'll want to do regardless. Bring plenty of water, the air can be dry. And pace yourself, especially if you're not used to playing/hiking at high elevations.

On my road trip I played here, Bijou, Turtle Rock, and Kirkwood. All fun courses, but Zephyr was clearly the cream of the crop. Consistently interesting and challenging holes, elevation change galore, and the unbeatable setting. Play them all if you can, but if I had to pick only one, it'd be Zephyr Cove, hands down.

Bad A!

1    7/7/2010   8/23/2010
Review By: ibgollie
Pros: -Good Tees
-Good Signs
-Good Hiking
-Great Views
-Great holes
-Great elevation changes
-Great variety: up, down, left, right, long, short
-Solid difficulty
This is a must play in the Tahoe area, one of my favorite courses. It's funny, I liked playing there so much that I almost can't put it into words.
Cons: Can't really just go and bust out a quick round, but that's also part of the reason I like it so much. It's an experience.

Hmm, here's a con, I can't really think of a legit one.

ok, ok, here's one. I got there at 7am, I was cold and stiff and the first 4 or 5 holes are bombs straight up the mountain. More of a con about myself I guess though.
Other Thoughts: This course is sooo much fun. This is the last course I have played in the tahoe area and by far my favorite. Awesome views, great layout, really fun holes, and unlike other mountain courses, it's not loaded with brush to lose your discs in. You can just huck it up, over, and through the woods, walk to it and throw it again. All the great things about mountain disc golf and none of the bad.

To paraphrase the great Ricky Bobby:

"If you don't like [Zephyr Cove] then $!&% you!"

Tahoe's Ultimate Course

2-4    6/20/2010   8/22/2010
Review By: JHern
Pros: This is it, folks. Think you've got game? Think you're tough? Think you're in decent physical shape? Do you have what it takes for real mountain golf, holes that demand huge arms, accuracy, and versatility? Holes that require wisdom in the ways of your disc in the wind?

Zephyr Cove is beyond any doubt the most beautiful course I've ever played. This place is perfect! Stately pine forests rise up into rocky ridge lines, whirring in the constant wind that blows off that gorgeous deep blue lake, and framed by snowy peaks all across the horizon. Simply stunning!

This course has so many epic shots, and makes you work for par on every hole. Huge bombs over wooded canyons, big uphill hucks into rocky coves, putter tee shots off steep ridge lines in extreme wind, 400'-500' drives through some of the tightest and most tantalizing tunnels this side of the Mississippi, and a handful of top-of-the-world-esque downhill gut shots...what more can you ask for? I think I emptied my entire bag about 5 times during just my first round, that's how much fun these holes were!

The tee pads are very nicely maintained. There are nice bathrooms near the 1st tee, the course is super clean, the tee signage is spot on, and there is even a little wooden lean-to after one of the holes to sit inside and enjoy the fine ambiance of the surroundings. The trees provide lots of shade, and there is always a wind to keep you cool.
Cons: The only cons I can think of are the handful of wimps complaining about having to hike up and downhill. Get in shape, tubbies! Sheesh.
Other Thoughts: This is one of the world's most challenging and fun disc golf courses, for sure. It definitely rates a 5/5 for me, there is no question in my mind this time. No doubts at all. The course was set up in the long tournament configuration when I last played it (this was just before King of the Lake), so other set-ups might not rate as high...but definitely you must play this course!

Must Play

2-4    5/26/2010   5/27/2010
Review By: Joe_Maumy
Pros: WOW, what a killer course. 18 holes through the Tahoe woods, all kinds of different holes. Uphill, downhill, over what seems like a canyon...(stay on the trail as you go down) This is a must play course. Not to had to find my way on my first time out. Some blind shots off the tee but there signage is quite good. Park in the far back of the lot, the course starts there.
Cons: nothing I could think of. Not baby friendly if you have a little one in a stroller.
Other Thoughts: If you are anywhere near here play this course! I cant wait to go back. Met a few locals who were totally cool.

1    10/1/2009   5/7/2010
Review By: trevorchreid
Pros: -Beautiful setting
-extreme elevation change
-has downhill and uphill holes
-well maintained
-nice baskets and tee pads
-Nice variety of technicality
-The downhill holes on this coarse are amazing.
-Long and short holes
-Great variety of shots, nice coarse design
-not over crowded
Cons: -Front nine is a little too uphill. This was very humbling. Great place to practice your uphill game however
-Very hard to find your footing with all the bushes, pine cones, and bark on the fairway.
-Very easy to loose your disc (this includes in ground brush and getting stuck in pine trees)
-Easy to crack a disc. Cracked a DX Beast on a rock on this coarse
Other Thoughts: It's always a pleasure to play a true mountain coarse such as Zephyr Cove. One of the most beautiful settings I've ever played DG in.
I would qualify this as a destination coarse - world class.

Great Course

1    3/24/2010   3/28/2010
Review By: Okiewildcat
Pros: I try to play anytime I go on the road and have played many different courses across the US. I really enjoyed playing here amid the beautiful backdrop of Lake Tahoe. Great layout and difficult holes going up hill while less challenging holes downhill but just enjoyable.
Cons: Alittle difficult to find the holes the first round but no problems after that.

Best of the best

5+    8/5/2009   1/23/2010
Review By: Shepack
Pros: Elvation changs the whole time. The views are great. Alternet local T posstions if you know where they are. Short loop on course alows you to play a quick round or another small one. At the beach. See the same people every day. Only disc players on course.
Cons: The fire protection thinning of the forest is a bummer Mazinita can eat discs.
Other Thoughts: I love this course. It was next to my highschool and i would play around be for classalmost everyday and one after. Go to the beach then shoot then back to the beach can't beat it. Every one is supper chill and all locals know the course like the backof their hands. Got me started on disc, can't wait to play it all summer.

2-4    1/7/2010   1/7/2010
Review By: JHoff
This review was updated on 1/10/2010
Pros: The views alone make this course a must play.
-Good tees
-Good quality baskets.
-A variety of different holes to challenge most players.
-Amazing elevation change while you climb up and down this mini mountain.
-A variety of different pin placements.
This was one of the only courses where my wife came along and didn't get bored because of the courses beauty and the views.
Cons: I would of liked some of the holes to be a little longer. You tee off on top of this course and you can barely throw it because the hole is so short. Not all of the holes are short but it just seems to missing that hole where you can just let it rip. Long pants might be a good idea because the bushes can be a little scratchy. You can avoid this by staying in the fairways.
Other Thoughts: I played this course while on vacation in Tahoe. We were very pleased to have such a beautiful course so close to our condo. If you are vacationing in the Tahoe area you might want to add this course to your agenda.

1    8/29/2009   9/3/2009
Review By: DaKineSurfer32
Pros: - 2 to 3 pin placements per hole
- quality, large cement tees
- good signs showing basket positions, distances and landmarks on each hole
- good facilities in surrounding park
- good directions to course
Cons: - holes 1-8 all play UPHILL, either directly or indirectly, making for a grueling front 9
- no signs leading you to the next tee
- many people that play this course are vacationing in Tahoe and don't know the etiquette about letting faster players or smaller groups play through
- very hot and dry, and can be easy to roll an ankle on most fairways
Other Thoughts: I came into this course not knowing what to expect, and I was actually quite pleasantly surprised. Aside from having to constantly walk uphill for the first half of the course, it was really a great course. Everything was in good shape and seemed to be well maintained. There were benches for resting every few holes.

You need to bring good shoes and water with you when you play this course. The constant hills will quickly make you tired and dehydrated, and many of the fairways are covered in wood 'chunks.' No, not small wood chips, but substantially large wood 'chunks.' The kind that make it easy to roll an ankle.

I honestly loved this course and would happily come back and play it again. The multiple pin positions allow for different challenges each time (though I don't know how often they are changed), and the large cement pads make it easy to throw. It is a true mountain course, NOT on a pre-existing ski hill, which was a nice change. If you're in the Tahoe area definitely take some time to play this course. Easily in my Top 50.

Awesome Mountain Course

1    8/15/2009   8/17/2009
Review By: gmoney
Pros: Dynamic view on hole #8. Great Workout with extreme elevation changes. Layout is challenging and varied. Manzanita not as thick as it once was according to the locals. Not crowded on a beautiful Saturday afternoon.
Cons: Not for out of shape players. No benches to rest after long hikes uphill. Downhill shots are too short to let big arms make epic shots. Path from 17 to 18 difficult to locate for new players (go right 17 basket about 100 feet).
Other Thoughts: Can't wait to go back. No wimps on this course. Serious players only.