Edmonton, AB
Original #6 - 1996 photo

Mostly open, simple play

2-4    9/14/2013   9/15/2013
Review By: protravler
Pros: Well signed course with solid tee pads and new baskets. Perfectly manicured greens and shrubbery give it a ball-golf feel (it's a pro for some, at least). Local crowd in and around this corner of a public park seemed to be mostly disc golfers. Seemed to be a good local turnout and league here. More than just par-3's. Beginner friendly. All kinds of exciting local weather conditions ;-)
Cons: Some par-3's that could have been par-2's they were so easy. More than a few crossing throws where someone could take an errant disc hit if not careful. A bit confusing layout for a first-timer here who's always on a different course, like myself.
Other Thoughts: Seemed like a great disc golf scene here in Edmonton. As usual, I was only at this particular location for about two days, but had to check it out. I felt this was a very solid course but I could also see it getting old pretty quick for some of the locals. I don't consider myself any sort of great player but shot under par here my first round and felt like I left more than a few opportunities on the table. At one point, someone came up and told me this place made you use "every shot", and quite frankly, that is just not the case and really speaks to a lack of experience with more complex courses. These open greens dotted with small trees make you shape your throws a bit but offer little variation overall and easy recoveries from a sub-par throw. Still, I very much enjoyed the course and it's clear the local community here has worked hard to make it the best it can be. I would absolutely come back again whenever in Edmonton.

A nice surprise

1    5/21/2011   5/29/2011
Review By: discfreak
Pros: Concrete Tee Pads
18 Holes
Multiple Hole Locations
Not just Par 3's
Cons: Not well laid out for first time players
Can be confusing which basket to play
Other Thoughts: I decided to play this with my friend on my visit back to Edmonton after moving away last year. Much to my surprise this was a very nice course. The city has the benefit of a very large park area to develop a nice course. We played on a Saturday afternoon and found that it was not very busy at all.

Each hole has 2 hole locations, but only one basket. The basket is able to be removed and mounted at a slightly different hole location, this is probably for making holes a bit more difficult to play as some hole locations were tucked in tight behind trees. I am not sure if they randomly decide to change periodically or if they decide to change randomly. Very nice touch to this course.

The course has some water holes but it is not necessary to play over the water in order to make it to the basket. Although having the water around will mess with people psychologcially. There are a few Par 4's on this course which made it quite fun to play.

Overall I rate this course very well and I would go back and play anytime. I did find that the basket locations were sometimes confusing as they had baskets for different holes quite close to each other, but there are maps at the beginning of every hole that will tell you the general direction of where the basket is located. I also found a certain part of the course broke up and did not allow us to find the next hole easily. Eventually we figured it all out after we played the whole course randomly, this could easily be solved by having some sort of course map at the beginning of the course.

If you are in Edmonton I definitely recommend trying out this course, it is the only one in the city and I have to say the city did a great job developing this. This course could be very challenging if you are playing during one of the windy summer days that tends to happen in Edmonton.

Confusing Start

1    9/2/2009   9/9/2009
Review By: what'shisname
Pros: Nice concrete pads and the course makes great use of the land available with plenty of different shots left and right, elevation changes, OB and water in play and a couple nice long holes as well.
Cons: I stopped by here unexpectedly so I did not have a map with me and was unable to find one near the EDGA sign and little basket type marker in the lower parking lot. I assumed with the sign that I must be around the start of the course but I believe with the new tee pads there came a new layout and the start has actually moved close to the higher parking lot. With no hole numbers on the tees it made for a very frustrating start until I was able to talk to a couple locals who pointed me in the right direction.
Other Thoughts: A bit more work with some sinage and this will be an excellent course in a nice, well maintained park.