Coquitlam, BC
Uploaded By: Dscgl4
Sunbeams

1    11/7/2010   4/21/2011
Review By: cefire
Pros: Mundy Park is a fairly pretty but old looking community park which supports a rather odd collection of holes which don't quite come together to make a coherent course. There are a few really fun shots to throw here but for the most part, you'll find relatively unchallenging putter and midrange shots.

Fun for newer players: Because of the short differences and a few challenging shots for beginners, Mundy is a nice place for the 'noobs' to learn how to play. The 'rough' actually does have some ability to punish bad shots in a few places but you'd really have to work hard to end up in these places as an experienced player. Players who have any real experience are going to rack up easy birdies and boring pars and probably aren't going to return very often.
Cons: Busy: We visited on a nice sunny fall day and found the course quite busy with both non-disc golfers who were walking dogs, picnicking, and flying kites and also many groups out playing the course. At several points we had to wait for pedestrians to clear even on holes under 200 feet. Likewise, because some of the fairways run so closely to eachother (a whole separate con in itself) we had to wait for other golfers to clear out.

Navigation: Because of the relative lack of numbering and a non-intuitive flow to the holes, we had to backtrack at several points during our round and also needed to ask others about the extra tone holes that are available for play in a small wooded section midway through the course.

Tee's/Baskets: Everything here is a complete mix from older, full metal baskets to heavy foil wrapped around wooden planks. You won't really know from one hole to the next what your target will be!

Filler holes: I'm not quite sure if these are in fact filler holes because there aren't really 'great' holes on either side but I'm not quite sure what to call holes that are around 150 feet that have virtually no obstacles. Several of these holes seem to be on the shorter and more boring side simply to link sections of the park together. At the same time, I would be concerned if this course were dramatically lengthened because it would likely mean more dangerous shots to blind baskets - in a park with lots of other park users, this would not be a good situation.
Other Thoughts: For the course-bagger type of player, Mundy actually does have a memorable aspect - It doesn't stand out as a particularly poor course and it certainly doesn't make for a great course but the strange disconnected experience I had from playing it puts a smile on my face when I remember back on the course and some of the oddities about it. It has some pretty areas and a nice little river running through the course. For the average player looking for more of a challenge, your best bet in the larger area is Langley. In the end, Mundy doesn't have the terrain to make for a great course and, because it is so busy, is probably better off to serve its purpose as a nice place for beginners to cut their teeth playing the sport.

Enjoyable Little Nine Holer Which Could Use Some TLC!

2-4    8/16/2009   8/19/2009
This review was updated on 5/25/2012
Pros: When you drive into the park entrance by the swimming pool, # 1 teepad is about 200 feet to the right. I had kind of a difficult time finding # 1. Mundy Park is a nice sized park, very pretty and well maintained. The course itself plays novice to intermediate. There are three short (125 to 175 ft.) wide open holes. The baskets and the teepads were both in good shape. There was a definite lack of signage. The flow of the course was good starting and finishing at the same location. I thought # 2 was a fun little hole. It's a very tight little technical shot through a 3 foot wide opening to a guarded basket maybe 150 ft. back. New teepads are currently being poured and they will add to the overall challenge.
Cons: It's kind of a semi-pitch and putt course with the three short, open holes. The bushes which are right in front of the first tee could use some trimming up. I don't believe they mean to let them get this tall. Kind of difficult to navigate/find # 1 tee the first time playing.
Other Thoughts: I played early on a beautiful BC morning and it was just me and a few dog lovers so I didn't get to meet any of the friendly locals. This is a fun little recreational course. A great course in which to take a beginner. If I lived close, I'd play trying to shoot that elusive negative 9.

Mundy Park

1    8/14/2009   8/15/2009
Review By: JR Stengele
This review was updated on 6/6/2010
Pros:
As you enter Mundy you can't help but become attatched to this course. The way this park is set up with the winding stream and path throughout, bushes, flowers, trees including several benches, you feel as if you are playing in someone's garden. It seems to be one of the most peaceful places I have played yet and is easy to see why the locals love it so much.

There is a practice basket off to the side of hole #9, behind tee pad #1 to warm up before playing. There is a kiosk updating players about local events and vendors located by tee one as well.

Baskets and cement tee's were all in excellent shape which added to the overall enjoyment of the course. Many holes had alternate tees as well to make the hole longer and at times more technical.

Although confusing at first, the flow of the course transitioned well, and was easy to follow.

Maintenance of the course was immaculate! The grass was mowed, plants trimmed, and garbage cans regularly emptied. Bathrooms were available at a few locations throughout the park (although I believe I only saw one close to the dg course).

Cons:
Mundy Park, although massive as a whole was rather quite small when looking at the amount of land actually used for the course itself. The entire course is very short when playing the original nine. It would be realistic to play 18 holes in under an hour, although with as much foot traffic as it gets, maybe a little longer.
The kiosk would be much more helpful to first timers as well local players if there was a layout of the course on it. Fortunately, as I mentioned earlier, the locals are so kind that they were more then willing to lend a hand and help explain.
Last, although some may find having water a con I love it! However, the color of the water made it rather difficult to locate your disc, but none were out of arms reach.
I know if I was a local I would rate this course much higher as the amount of safari golf on this course is ridiculous. There are endless opportunities here for makeshift holes, and is perfect for practice for all level players.

However, like I stated above, the original nine hole course is most appropriate for novice and intermediate players as far as distance and challenge. I enjoyed my time here though and plan to come up and play in one of these amazing tournaments they have each year that I hear so much about. My hats off to the local club though as I can see how much effort and hard work they put in to keep this beautiful course maintained.