Vancouver, BC
Little Mountain DGC-Q.E. Park Share
Uploaded By: Drivethrutke Hole #6 (Taken 8/2011)
3 / --   3 / 249ft.   3 / 315ft.   3 / -- Par / Distance:

Long Live the Queen!

1    3/26/2014   4/4/2014
Review By: Qikly
Pros: Set in a well-groomed, popular park, Little Mountain DGC is western Vancouver's oldest, most popular course. The course plays in its own little section of the park, and seems to do a good job avoiding conflict with non-disc golfing park goers.

For a 9 hole public park course tending towards shorter hole lengths, there's a good bit of variety present: fairways across sloping hills (a Vancouver standard, it seems), uphill and downhill (8!) shots, some low ceilings, some varied lines (uphill RHFH hyzer on 3), some OB (fence on 2, with discs being easily retrievable if a bit awkward owing to the golf course present), and even an over-the-water hyzer to close things out, with enough trees present along the fairway or guarding the pin to make things interesting. Although the holes are often short, throwaways are largely avoided. Besides a longer hole or two, you couldn't ask for much more in the variety department given the setting.

Each hole has two sets of concrete tees. Baskets are solid and get the job done.

Course is conveniently nearby two others (Quilchena and Jericho Hill), making it easy to hit all three in the span of an afternoon.
Cons: While Little Mountain DGC makes great use of the available land, there's only so much that that land can offer. Shot shaping is maximized but still lacking in overall challenge factor: shooting under 27 from either tee would not be that difficult. The holes themselves don't have much wow factor, although that's nobody's fault: it's a city park course.

The course is in a fairly tight space, and the longer tees feel squeezed in. My guess is that they were put in after the shorts, owing to their different appearance and sense of being simply as far behind the short tees as they can be given the available space; other than adding a little distance, they don't seem to offer much.

The short tees are weirdly hexagonal, allowing more space than usual when moving from left to right but are too short, for my comfort anyway, front to back. There aren't any big drives here so a long run up isn't essential, but I did feel a little constrained on the hexagons.

There are no tee signs or indications of distance. Short tees have a hole number embedded into them.

Little Mountain seems to be the most popular course with the locals. Because of how small it is, it can crowd easily. With 4-5 groups on the course it seems crowded. On weekends I can imagine it being packed.

The grass around some of the pins was worn away on my visit, so that a rainy day can result in a mudpit. Living in New Orleans, I'm no stranger to muddy, soggy courses, but I've never seen the kind of quagmire that surrounded a few of the pins at Little Mountain. Not a huge deal, but if it's rained, be prepared to get dirty.

No alt pin positions. No readily-accessible facilities in the disc golf area of the park.
Other Thoughts: Little Mountain was my second favorite of the three western Vancouver courses I played on my visit. I preferred Quilchena's greater variety, particularly in terms of whole length (although there are some more technically challenging shots there, too). However, as that course has the potential to get overrun by non-disc golf park goers, I can see why heading to Little Mountain might be preferred. The two courses are close enough and short enough that you can easily hit both, or try one and then head to the other if needed.

On my visit we played the short tees 1-9, then played backwards, skipping a hole (so 9's tee to 7's basket, 8's tee to 6's basket, etc). This made for a fun safari course with lots of interesting shots. On a busy day this isn't doable, but keep it in mind as a way to get 18 holes in if the course is quiet enough.

Thanks to JedV for being a gracious host on my visit!

Short, Quick Round

1    4/13/2013   4/13/2013
Review By: jhkovac
Pros: Great course to fit in a quick 9 or 18. Wonderfully poured concrete tee pads. Real baskets on each hole. Hole 4 & 8 have great elevation loss shots from the tee pads.
Cons: I didn't leave this course with a magical feeling. It was simply a "I have 20min to get in a bit of tossing in so this'll do."
I don't mind short courses. My hometown course (Cornwall Park, Bellingham, WA) is a short 9-holer as well, but I would have loved to see a bit more variety that challenges the way you have to play.
The water hazard on hole 9 is the only "holy shit" moment that gets the pulse racing. Other than that the course is a bit pedestrian.
A big qualm I had was that the baskets are extremely close to the next hole's tee pads. Way too many opportunities to hit the people playing in front of you. Poor layout in that aspect. There were too many times that I had to wait for the group in front of me to tee off, then walk half their hole just so I could begin to tee off on my hole for fear of hitting them with my tee shot.
Other Thoughts: Again, a great way to fit in a bit of tossing if you have 20min to kill. Not a destination course or a must play. I was visiting a friend in the city and wanted to check out the local courses, and this one was on the list. Now it's off it. :-)

1    11/7/2010   4/20/2011
Review By: cefire
Pros: The course at Little Mountain is a fun, but average city park design which maintains the mostly shortish layout of many other area courses but makes up for it with a few more challenging par three holes and a nice over-the-water finishing hole.

Variety: Because of a nice hillside, some sparse trees, and a good water hazard, you'll get quite a bit of variety out of a round here. Most holes are quite short, but there is a nice low ceiling shot which requires a club up or a skip shot and a few longer lines from the pro tees which need a bit of pop. I threw mostly a mixture of putters with a fairway driver or two and even a roller.

Replayability: It is a little bit of a stretch, but I'd say that this course has a pretty good replay factor not because you could play from the permanent tees to baskets again and again but because Little Mountain makes for a really nice safari course. The hillside and sloping trees make for a great place to bring out an extra basket or two and make up some really fun holes which are a bit more challenging.
Cons:
Busy: We played on the same day as several other area Vancouver courses and found this one by far the busiest of the bunch. Not only was the course overrun with golfers, but a group that may be a little lax on course etiquette. Several times we were thrown on by groups behind us (although we were waiting on tees for a group ahead) and because of the very close fairways also by players on other holes and heard no 'fore' to alert us to the errant disc. This could have been an artifact of our single visit to the course but nearby Jericho and Quilcena were nearly empty on the same day.

Challenge: While there are a couple of holes which either have the distance or a tricky line to shape, this course largely consists of straightforward putter shots to greens which are relatively unguarded. Most of the challenge to be found is in managing the very fast, skippy greens.
Other Thoughts: Overall, Little Mountain does have a few redeeming holes and also the option to make a few really nice safari holes but with the crowds, lack of real length, and quite a few filler holes, it fails to separate from the other similar area courses.

Nice beginner course

1    10/15/2009   10/15/2009
Review By: Taino
Pros: Easy to find (GPS coordinates are off, but go by intersection), easy to park for free, well-marked tees.
Cons: Tiny. Barely par 3 on all holes. No maps, but to be honest you don't need one. Discs will frequently sail into the path of oncoming cars/pedestrians.
Other Thoughts: My wife and I played this course in passing; it took us 35 minutes for both of us to finish the front 9 from the octagon tees and another 15 for me to finish the back 9 from the rectangle tees. Very small course. I played the entire back 9 (basically, the same holes from the "advanced" tee) with my approach disc, as I overshot every single hole with my distance driver on the front 9; I still got under par. This park is definitely not for anyone over intermediate level. The difficulties come not from distance, but from accuracy - you have to keep your shots low enough to get under the branches, and not throw your discs onto the surrounding streets or onto the pitch 'n putt golf course next to the second hole. A couple of the holes are interesting (#9/#18 - shooting over a pond), but for the most part it's a very easy course.

Upgraded this to 2 discs, because it's not a bad course - just small, and very easy.

Had fun.

1    10/6/2008   11/18/2008
Review By: flyskyhi
Pros: Atmosphere. Location.

Course is on the side of a hill, and forces you do finesse around trees.
Cons: Too compact. Needs more space. I dont care for double t pads. Just makes the back 9 longer. Seems odd to be standing on Tee 1 and have a disc sail directly over you.
Other Thoughts: If your disc does meet the pond, there is a nice young man that fishes out all that he can find. Come back the next day, kick in a few bucks and get your disc back!