Elk River, MN
Lions Park III Share
Uploaded By: bpchamp27 Hole #6 (Taken 6/2011)
3 / 318ft.   3 / 306ft.   3 / --   3 / -- Par / Distance:

Solid Easy Course

5+    6/19/2013   6/20/2013
Review By: Mblack4
Pros: - Great for beginners
- 2 Tee points for each hole to give more advanced players a touger challenge
- Easy to follow
- Decent variety of uphill/downhill/water hazards
- Usually well kept in a nice small city park
- Free to play
Cons: - No tee pads
- Only 9 holes
- Mostly straight shots, no need to change up your throw
- 9th basket is broken as of 6/19/13, still playable, chains are still there, but the basket it on the ground.
- 2nd hole is 90% very tall grass
Other Thoughts: This is my home course, and I've played it probably 60+ times. I live literally across the street so I play it at least once a week, usually 2-3 times a week and I've even played it four times in one day so I know it very well. I wanted to give this a 2.5, but in hopes that they will actually mow hole 2 and fix the basket on 9 I'll give it a 3.0 in good faith.

Hole by hole: (I'll cover both tee offs, the post and the stake, with the stake being the more difficult)
#1 - From the post it's an ace-able hole for most players, not much of a water hazard unless it's very windy or you throw extremely late. From the stake it is actually a pretty difficult shot and you'll be throwing completely over water, I've seen some good players lose discs here before, I usually throw from the post.

#2 - As I've stated this hole really needs to be mowed, they started to mow near the start and near the end but then stopped for whatever reason. A couple trees stand in the way from the stake tee, the post is a bit closer and avoids the trees a little better. Other than that just a straight shot and a good hole to test distance.

#3 - Another straight shot with a couple of trees in the way, water to the right which could claim a disc if you throw late. Similar shots from both tees.

#4 - Almost unplayable from the post unless you go around, a bit of a risky shot from the stake as it's another hole that goes directly over water. Most players can make this shot, but if your shot messes up you can easily end up in a disgusting swamp. Other than that it's pretty easy to ace or deuce if you make it past the water.

#5 - I typically park at the Boys and Girls Club and start on this hole and go around making 4 my last. The stake and post are pretty much at the same spot, there's some rough about 3/4 way down the hole, with two trees right above to knock your disc right into it. Sometimes the rough can be wet, but nothing that will claim your disc. If you can stay low or just avoid the tree this hole is easily deuced or aced.

#6 - Another straight shot with two trees in the way, a bit longer than other holes, similar to hole 2. If you curve too much to the left you can end up in a line of trees to the side or if you go inbetween those trees you could end up in some rough.

#7 - You're throwing uphill, if throwing from the post it's probably the easiest hole on the course, if you go from the stake (which is missing, but you can see where the hole in the ground is a bit further back) it's actually a bit tougher trying to make it up that hill from that far back.

#8 - From the stake you're going uphill a bit, and from the post it's more of a level throw with the risk of going downhill if you curve right or left, however if you go left your disc can end up in a lot of tall grass and weeds. I've lost a disc over there just because I couldn't find it.

#9 - My favorite hole on the course, a downhill straight shot, fun to test out your downhill drives. A bit tougher to deuce (for me at least) and definitely a fun one to finish off the course with. The pin has been moved away from the skate park (which has actually been replaced with tennis courts) and is now to the right of all of that.

Definitely worth giving this course a shot if you're in the area, can be finished in under 30 minutes if everything goes normal.

Course Changes

5+    9/20/2011   9/24/2011
Review By: smarkquart
Pros: *Not a pitch and putt, but easy course for some good practice
*The guy who goes into the pond will ALWAYS call on found discs that have names and numbers on them
*Old tees are still marked in case you do not want to play the longer tees
*Depending on your power, every hole can be aced, but there are no gimmies.
Cons: *Hole 2 can gobble up discs, both in the long weeds and in the pond
*Fun, but nothing special, no marquee holes. (Not yet anyway, check notes below)
Other Thoughts: I am just adding to previous reviews. This course is about to see several changes which could include additional baskets. In the foreseeable future they are moving the basket and tee for Hole 9, removing the danger of hitting the skatepark and softball field.

Solid Small Town 9 Holer!

1    7/22/2011   8/27/2011
Pros: Lions Park III is just your basic nine hole recreational course playing around a nasty little lake. The park has a nice big sign at the beginning. The baskets are DISCatchers set in concrete which are then set in a three foot steel circular pedestal thing. Very heavy duty; no-body's walking off with these baskets!

There are two tee signs on most holes. One is just a wooden pole with the top cut off at an angle with the #. These are simple and effective. The other is perfect-almost vandal proof. It's a green metal pole-like a street sign with a red number plate at the top. The plate is the same width as the pole, maybe 2'3"' so it can't easily be bent or destroyed. I love it when the Park's Department guys stay one step ahead of the midnight punks who vandalize so many of the disc golf courses and signs.

# 9 was as close to a signature hole as it gets here. You're throwing off the top of this small hill, maybe 290' to a open basket below. The only trick is not hysering into the Skate Punk Park to the left and then having to wrestle with one of those scrawny dudes for your disc.

# 1 and # 4 both give you the option of throwing over the corner of the murky pond. # 4 is a short 220" ACE run, but a scary carry across the pond for the average Rec player (and me!). And it was made scarier on the day I played by the wind blowing.
You're just teeing off the grass here but it's barely worn so obviously this course isn't getting a lot of play.
Cons: I guess there isn't a lot of challenge or imagination to this course. It's relatively flat without many mature trees. I think it might get fairly repetitive playing it over and again.
Other Thoughts: I enjoyed it playing it one time. The day was perfect and I had the course to myself. I might be generous in my rating here but on the basis of this being simply an enjoyable little recreational course, I couldn't find much to complain about. I like playing a round without searching through the bushes and thorns for my wayward tosses.