Harrietsville, ON
Lake Whittaker Conservation Park Share
Uploaded By: AdamH Hole #11 (Taken 8/2009)

There's a skeeter on ma peter!

1    6/9/2013   6/13/2013
Review By: bygwyllay
Pros: Nice layout similar to Pittock Park although I think a bit smaller/shorter. Most holes are shaped by tall grass lining either side of the fairway, but trees are used nicely as well. I don't recall very many big bombs but the course isn't a straight-up technical affair, either. A good mix of forehand/backhand/tomahawk shots will be used, especially after the front nine when the course becomes a bit more wooded. There are some wide-open fairways and others that are almost too tight to navigate. Overall, everything evened out nicely into a fun and somewhat challenging round. #18 is a nice way to end it as well, with mammoth-thick pine trees towering over a teeny fairway.
Cons: B-U-G-S! Ain't no one got time for this!

But seriously. From your first step onto the fairway (and acutally, now that I think about it, as soon as we opened the car door) the mosquitos rose up from the grass and stalked us all the way through in a massive cloud. It got even worse on the back nine, and we ended up half-running to get out alive. No joke. And I've played some infested courses - hell I only live fifteen minutes from Willow Metro - but this is one of the worst if not THE worst in the bug dept.; so bad we ran out of bugspray! UGH.

Other Thoughts: Aside from the bugs this is a legit course worth playing if you're in the area. It is not on par with the two gold-medal courses VA Barrie and Waterworks, but it is a good round nonetheless.

1    8/7/2009   8/8/2009
Review By: AdamH
This review was updated on 7/5/2012
Pros: Lake Whittaker is a beautiful, challenging course where the fairways are mowed and the rough is left to grow. It consists mainly of tight fairways with a moderate to heavy amount of trees lining the fairways. There are lots of fun shots on this course, but due to the rough, it's the kind of course a more advanced player will likely enjoy while a newer player could get frustrated.

There are grass tees marked by signs at each hole. There is a sign for short and long tee on every hole. The short pads rarely change the shot and are about 50ft or less from the long pads. With the tall grass, these shorter pads definitely help keep the course more beginner friendly.
Cons: The shot variety isn't that great. Most of the holes are straight or hyzer shots. The tee signs only tell you what number you're on and don't list the distance or show a diagram of the hole. A fair amount of the pins are not visible from the tee so those things could be helpful. It's usually obvious where the fairway is so finding the pin and the next hole isn't too difficult.

I've NEVER encountered bugs at a course like I did at this course. I was eaten alive. I'm sure the bugs are better in the cooler months, but I'd bring bug spray no matter what just to be safe.

A couple of the holes were a little rediculous to me. Holes 4 and 7 didn't have a fairway, just throw and hope you get lucky.
Other Thoughts: The entry fee to the park is $7 for a day pass and they ask for a significant amount of information before you enter the park: name, address, phone number and license plate number.

I found this to be a fun, challenging course but I see how newer players could have a tough time here.

I'm sure the bugs are better at other times of the year, but they were so bad when I was here I almost ran though the course to avoid getting eaten alive.