Layout Extinct

Uploaded By: timg
Fountain

1    5/31/2010   5/31/2010
Review By: Zaminski
Pros: The course has many holes with different obstacles. There were a few elevated tees which I always enjoy and do not see often in central pa. Throwing over the pond was an awesome obstacle. Pretty easy to clear but you still get that intense suspense feel. The wooded holes are really good, the open ones still add enough obstacles to make them interesting.
Cons: The tee signs are really old. Most are faded, do not have tee numbers, give no distance, or obstacles. At hole 8 it gets really confusing with baskets and tee pads everywhere. Number 11 was confusing as well. I like that they have multiple baskets and pins for holes but they need to be marked more clearly.
Other Thoughts: I had the impression that the course was under construction or was abandoned and not kept up with maintenance wise. I hear they are making 27 holes, so hopefully that is true. With new tee signs and better direction to holes and baskets this course would be a 3.5. The designer did a great job.

As of 5/1/10

1    5/1/2010   5/9/2010
Review By: swatso
Pros:
A few tees are new and top quality - rubber, long, wide, flat. Some holes have multiple tee locations. Baskets have arrows attached to the bottom to help direct you to the next teepad(s). Plenty of signage in the woods along holes 3-7 to help you navigate your way.
Cons:
Most tees are old, concrete, narrow, short, with a drop-off. Some holes have single tee locations. Navigation, beginning with #8, is very difficult - we threw to one basket twice (holes #8 and #11, as we played them that day), and some baskets we never threw towards (a few in the woods, one in the wide open). Basket numbers are no longer correct. Tee signs are old and currently blank.
Course plays up, down, and across the open space and a portion of woods in a large multi-purpose park. We played 22 holes the day we visited, a third begin wide open, a third having a small amount of hazards to avoid, and a third being wooded. Plenty of length and a few downhill shots, with a scenic farm in the background, so definitely some chances to throw some bombs and enjoy watching you discs fly, and also wooded holes of various complexity to make you work on your shot-shaping. Course is changing from a 21- to a 27-hole course, although a local told us there are eventual plans (dreams?) for 54 holes. Of course, with change comes pain ...

Navigation: Early navigation was simple - open uphill, open downhill, enter woods and follow signs. Difficulty begins with #7, where you find two baskets - I think the one on the right is #7. We followed the arrows and found and old-n-outdated teesign labelled #8, but couldn't find a basket for it. Re-traced our steps a bit and located a new teepad, threw down-slope, and found a basket on the right - and a small sign up in a tree, directing us towards tee #9, so we assumed we played the hole correctly. After #9 we found a tee up-n-left, throwing uphill to a visible basket. Found a teepad up-n-left from this basket, and found a downhill, left-turning hole - to the same basket we used for #8?! Walked uphill a bit to an old teepad, and threw through the woods, to the basket next to #7's. Came back past the old #8 teesign and found a teepad on top of the wooded hill - a downhill, across-path right-turner. You then go back into the open near a small pavilion to find a teepad, and throw a left-turner to the edge of the woods. Navigation was fairly simple from this point onward, although there was one basket in the open we never threw towards.

Favourite hole #8 (well, it was the 8th hole we played that day): In the woods, fair throwing lane with danger early on the left, slightly down-slope, needing a subtle right-turn at the end to a basket semi-guarded by a downed tree.
Least favourite hole(s) #9: mid-sized pine-tree pinball, and, despite the thick amount of pine needles, lots of poison ivy!

This course, when completed, will certainly be above average. The few new teepads that exist are great, and the signage in the early part of the woods is quite sufficient. Hopefully this quality will be repeated throughout the entire course when it is completed! However, at this moment in time, the lack of tee signs, short teepads, and navigational issues can make it a frustrating play.

2-4    1/22/2010   1/28/2010
Review By: cblack129
Pros: All the baskets are in great condition. Some tees have concrete tee pads and new rubber tee pads are being installed. Some holes have only one tee, some holes are getting a second tee added. There are directional arrows on bottom of most baskets for next tees and some signs on trees for next tees. The course flows pretty well. The first 2 holes are in the open, then you enter the wooded holes and back out in the open to finish your round. Elevation comes into play on a few holes. A few uphill, a few downhill. Overall, it's a great variety of holes. Although a few of the open holes do feel the same. There are restrooms on the other side of the park.
Cons: Tee signs could use some work. The course is in a transition to a 27 hole course right now, so a lot of the signs are missing or incorrect. Hopefully when the transition is complete, all new signs will be put up. Parking could be an issue if the pavilion is being used. In the busier months during the summer, some people park their cars in the fairway for #2.
Other Thoughts: Some of the wooded holes demand very accurate shots. There are a few bomber holes where you can let a drive rip. One holes crosses over a heart shaped lake.It's probably about 150 ft. to clear the water, so shouldn't be a problem for most players.

1    1/18/2010   1/19/2010
Review By: Kwick
Pros: Stunning scenery
Great variety, elevation changes, wide open bomber holes and technically challenging wooded holes
Some holes have muliple tee pads/baskets
New tee pads are very big rubber fly pads in great shape
new baskets are in great shape
Water holes (one hole thrown over and another it could cause trouble)
very little people playing
Bathrooms and water fountains available
Cons: Very difficult follwing the layout. The course is currently in the middle of having a 27 hole layout, but right now it is confusing following the course.
The old tee pads are cement, but they are very short.
I played after it rained, and the course did not drain entirely well (probably about as much as an average course).
This hurt the course more than others, since I often needed to use the ground for part of the run up due to short tee boxes.
Many people may be turned off by the open holes if they can throw far enough to easily par, but not far enough to birdie. I can throw up to about 370 and enjoy the bomber holes, but would not like an entire course of them.
The signs seem very old, and do not indicate distance, obstacles, etc.
Other Thoughts: This course has some great views and plays both open and wooded. Even the wooded holes have variety from being short or long, some more wooded than others. The course seems to play fair to both righties and lefties, and the wooded holes often have gaps for each.
The holes are very fun at this course. The only thing holding it back are poor signage with a confusing layout. That is something that will hopefully be corrected when the course is finished, but can also be corrected by playing the course more/talking with locals.
I would rate this course between a 4 and 4.5 if tee pads wre fixed and signage was improved. I still recommend playing it as I had a great time. If you can try and bring someone that has already played, or perhaps find a local, the course is worth it.
On the way to the course, around the lancaster area on a holiday (MLK), we passed 3 cops in about 10 minutes on the highway, so be careful with speeding, or anything else illegal

Pastoral and Pretty

5+    11/8/2002   11/8/2009
Review By: Shannon Winn
Pros: A gorgeous park in the center of the Mennonite (as opposed to Amish) universe. Easy to get to from just about anywhere. Absolutely a safe environment for families.
Not a terribly difficult course, but challenging enough, and a great place for tournaments. Some wooded holes but I'd characterize the place as predominently open. It's possible, but not likely, to lose plastic. Long, accurate players, with a good wind game will do well at Akron.
A solid course with a fairly rich history, locally.
Cons: Several-not many- boring holes. Nothing truly dramatic. The town of Akron is one of the least exciting places ever, and nearby Lancaster is not known for swinging nightlife either. Hardly a knock on the nice course.
Other Thoughts: Attended a wedding on the course once long ago, and will always remember the groom dragging his white tux jacket down the fairway in the tourney that served as the reception. Good times.

nice park but VERY confusing

1    8/28/2009   8/30/2009
Review By: brian j
Pros: roland park is located in a beautiful park in a beautiful part of pa, right in the heart of amish country. the course has a nice variety of holes and uses the available topology well. tees are a mix of concrete and rubber pads and most of the baskets are new. water comes in play on a few holes and throws over water on hole 21.
Cons: its been said before and i have to say it again. finding your way around this park is a nightmare. holes 1 - 7 are marked and easy to follow, but after that its anyones guess. my friend and i got lost after 8, found what we think were holes 10 - 14 and then lost 15 - 17. we never did find 15 - 17 and ended up finishing with 18 - 21 and called it a day. making things even more confusing is that many holes don't have matching hole numbers on the sign and what is on the basket, and some the arrows pointing to the next hole appeared incorrect.

some concrete pads are a little short (mainly 21).
Other Thoughts: as i said this course is in a beautiful part of the country. it has lots of potential to be a great course but needs to first fix the navigation issues or at least offer a course map. i looked for one online but couldn't find one.

note: the course starts near the big fire pit near the pond, not in the big parking lot near the playground.

confusing,but fun

1    8/16/2009   8/17/2009
Review By: chris v
Pros: This is a gorgeous park. Such a scenic spot for a disc golf course.

Some holes are easy, some are hard. Overall a great variety of holes, shots and terrain. Some holes have multiple tees and/or multiple baskets to spice it up. You can choose easy or difficult routes. Once you are familiar with the layout of the place it is a very fun course, but getting to know the layout can be extemely frustrating.

water fountains availible near hole 16

last hole throws over a small lake. The fist time I played it I just missed an ace. I threw a second shot for fun and actually aced it. That actually helped turn my mood around, as my first round through this course was testing my patience big time.
Cons: For a first timer with no map, I picked a bad time to come here. I showed up around 11am and the course was empty. I couldn't figure out where the first tee was. Turns out I parked in the wrong spot.

Typically when I play a confusing new course for the first time, the trouble is locating tees and baskets. At Roland, its a little different..there are tees and baskets everywhere! The problem is figuring out what tees go with what baskets.

Eventually, more people showed up on the course and I was able to follow a group of guys and played in their footsteps.

As stated in previous reviews, many of the tees and baskets have no numbers on them and most of the ones that are numbered seem to be incorrect. Playing here for the first time by yourself with no map...its IMPOSSIBLE to figure out whats what.

Some tees are nice and well made, others arent.

I know there are a total of 21 holes but the layout I played gave me 18. That was fine with me though, I played it a couple times and it was fun,.
Other Thoughts: I hated it at first, but by the time I left I loved it. I really enjoyed playing here once I figured out the layout. Cant wait to come back and play with some Amish dudes.

Incredible Potential

1    7/4/2009   7/5/2009
Review By: Neophyte
Pros: I really appreciate a well balanced course. This course has a very good mix of open, wooded and partially wooded holes. The first couple of holes are very open and make great use of elevation to create some good challenges. The ten holes or so are in the woods and have some great tight fairways and risk/reward shots. It is obvious that the managers of this course have been working very hard on improvements. There are several new additional tees for many of these holes adding some much need length to this course. All the new tees are nice rubber mats.
While in the woods there are several holes that require fitting your drives through some tight windows between the trees. Then the course works its way back out into the open with some chances to really air it out. The course finishes with a nice little shot across the pond in the center of the park. For me the more holes the better so it was great to have a chance to play 21 instead of the normal 18. It will be great when the renovations are finished and the course is a full 27.
Additionally, the course is located on a great park. It has many other attractions including a playground, trails, picnic locations, tennis courts and even a sand volley ball court.
Cons: As has been mentioned by most of the reviewers, navigation is a major issue with this course. While the designers have made efforts to point the player in the right direction with little silver arrows hanging from the baskets, this is really insufficient when the next hole is more than a hundred yards away and not well marked itself. Many of the tee signs were unreadable, some were vandalized and some were missing all together. Additionally, there were no indications of distance on any of the tee signs and some had no indication where the pin was located. I never knew how dependent I was on this information until I didn't have it. Also because of the incomplete renovations some of the holes/tee signs are miss numbered or not numbered at all making navigation even more difficult.
Other Thoughts: Once the renovations are completed, the layout set and the signs in place this will easily be a 3.5 or a 4.0 course. I look forward to playing this course next summer after it is complete.

The best course i have played in a long time

1    6/28/2009   6/28/2009
Review By: Dr.awesome
Pros: Where to begin?
1 water on hole 21
8 free of many park goers
9 maintained well
10 awesome baskets, and basket positions
11 etc.
Cons: Very confusing to navigate, so print a map!!
Other Thoughts: Both me and my dad lost our stingrays in the kidney bean shaped pond devilishly placed on hole 21's fairway.

Pretty Girl Beware She has Some Issues

1    2/27/2009   3/27/2009
Review By: optidiscic
Pros: This course is a pleasant play. Mixed use course but no real issues with traffic as it utilizes some woods and the open holes don't seem to play near pedestrians.It will not break you mentally and ruin your day but will still challenge all aspects of your game.This course has a little bit of everything. Some elevation, some woods, some open fields, some water, some distance, some technical, some hard, some easy, all in all your gonna end up liking this course. I really enjoyed the mild elevation holes to start the course. #1 plays up hill and then to the left of that pin is the tee for hole #2 shooting back down. A great start. Then I also liked playing through the technical wooded holes 4-12. I love cedar groves and there are plenty of these with bright red pine needles padding the forest floor. At least your disc gets a soft landing after thwacking a tree! The open holes 13-21 counter the technical holes very well, especially with the little elevation boost involved which makes us all look like Zeus throwing thunderbolts across the field. Finally you finish with a pin guarded by the pond #20 and then a little punch over the pond #21. It's a clean pretty park that makes for an enjoyable setting for disc golf. It's close enough to DF Buchmiller DGC to make it worth the trip out there. Akron and nearby Ephrata are unique towns to explore as well.
Cons: I realize the course is going through some changes and will be 27 holes so take this criticism as it pertains to conditions as of late winter 2009. This course is a navigation nuisance. I loved most of the course and was having fun until getting lost multiple times in the woods. In disc golf, which is a psychological game, once your emotions are disrupted your game is sure to be spoiled and your good time is wrecked. Often I came across baskets and tees unmarked facing odd directions. I found mystery fairways which I did not understand the flow or direction. Threw some great drives to the wrong damn area a few times. OUCH! Once I was out in the open I was a bit miffed at how open some of the field holes did not offer too much placement challenge. A basket tucked behind a tree perhaps etc. Course needs the navigation issues to be resolved and it would be top notch. I cannot imagine it would have to cost any money at all. It would just take a little effort to help us pilgrims who come all this way to play to leave and have good things to say. My lasting memory was the time I spent lost and not some of the fun disc golf that is to be experienced there.
Other Thoughts: Seems to be a theme...everyone got lost here according to the reviews. Made me feel like I was not alone in my frustration. The pond is a fun way to finish and I understand why its just a chip shot over it and not used for multiple shots. If the park got numerous complaints of people throwing into the pond and swimming for discs I would not doubt the course would be in jeopardy. I think the course itself is a very fun play. I would love to come back. If it is ever actually 27 holes and there are real signs or a good map available I will be sure to come back and raise my score significantly. Note to first timers-make sure you pass the main park entrance and park in the little lot as close to the pond as possible. The course begins and ends at the pond. Hope that helps!